• Published 12th Mar 2017
  • 8,958 Views, 1,391 Comments

Yes, My Lady - Tatsurou



Scootaloo must step into her inheritance, protecting Equestria from devious criminals and dark conspiracies alike, all while staying close to her friends. Thankfully, she's got the help of one devil of a butler.

  • ...
15
 1,391
 8,958

Chapter 5

Scootaloo leaned back in her chair, turning her eyes to the ceiling as Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle focused their attention on her. "Do either of you know what it means being born into a noble family?" she asked carefully. "Being a child of a noble family?"

Apple Bloom blinked thoughtfully. "Umm...nope."

"Doesn't it mean being super privileged?" Sweetie Belle asked. "Never wanting for anything?"

"Maybe that's what it means now on the other side of the mountain," Scootaloo grumbled irritably, "but as I was taught...being born a noble means Duty. The Royals watch over all of Equestria, keeping us safe and thriving, but their eyes can't be everywhere. The Noble caste was created to aid the Royals, to oversee smaller portions of Equestria so the Royals can handle the Big Picture. That means the first Duty of every Noble is their Charges." The capitals in her speech were plainly audible, carrying the extra meaning of the significant words. "The higher your rank as a Noble, the more Charges you oversee, and the greater your Duty. That is what it means to be Noble."

Sweetie Belle blinked as she took that all in. "...how does that explain Prince Blueblood?" she asked in confusion. "I mean, Rarity had a lot of nasty things to say about him after that first Grand Galloping Gala she attended."

"Unfortunately, most of the nobles of Canterlot aren't Noble," Scootaloo observed, "which makes the Charges of those who are all the more important. Blueblood and most of his family are nobles." The pointed absence of a capital spoke volumes. "My family - the House of Wingshadow - has remained Noble from the day of our founding, because our Charge - our Duty - is one of the most important...and one that earns us no renown." She fell silent, uncertain if she wanted to go into any greater detail.

"Why's that?" Apple Bloom asked curiously.

Scootaloo made her decision. "It is the job of the House of Wingshadow to keep Equestria's citizens safe. We are the Royal Watchdogs...and if we do our jobs well, not only will no one ever know we did anything, no one will ever know there was anything that even needed doing." She looked her friends right in their eyes. "Please...I'd rather not explain further as far as that goes."

Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom both nodded as Sebastian brought out the salad and dessert. "So...is that why ya hadn't told us about all this?" Apple Bloom asked curiously.

"Not entirely," Scootaloo explained as she took a few bites, eating daintily with her fork in stark contrast to her normal behavior back in Ponyville...such contrast in fact that Apple Bloom sheepishly pulled her own head back from her plate to reach for her fork as Sebastian moved in with a napkin to wipe her face. "I've always been a bit of a free spirit, desperate to fly-"

"We know," Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle interrupted with friendly, teasing grins.

Scootaloo managed a chuckle. "Anyway, all the talk of Duty and Charges and all I'd have to do as an Heir...it was more than I could handle when I was younger. One day, it got to be too much...and I ran. I ditched the fancy dresses, grabbed a scooter and some bits, and took off as fast as my wings could make me go. Made it all the way to Ponyville in a single day, and just curled up in the library to sleep that night. I got mistaken for a rambunctious student the following morning, and was sent to Ponyville Elementary. I spent an entire day just being an ordinary kid, not having any responsibility laid on me...and I loved it.

"Of course, it didn't last." Scootaloo toyed with her fork as she stared into her salad. "Mom and Dad found me that evening, and they were worried sick. But when they found me, I just started going on and on about what a wonderful day I'd had, how cool ponies were in Ponyville, how much fun the school playground was...with this huge grin on my face like they'd never seen before. I guess seeing me so happy for the first time in my life forestalled any scolding. But when I was being tucked in for the night, my smile started to fade."

She took a few bites and a drink, letting her friends take it all in. "When my Dad asked what was wrong, I said, 'I'm never gonna get to go back there, am I?' The look on his face..." She shook her head. "The following morning, they bought me that house I have down in Ponyville, and sent me there at least two weeks a month, and they only insisted I be up in Canterlot for lessons about my Duty and my Charges."

"Wow," Apple Bloom murmured softly. "Yer folks were real nice..."

"Yeah..." Scootaloo agreed, playing with a few leaves and a bit of carrot on her plate.

"I'm surprised you didn't get punished for running away," Sweetie Belle observed. "Rarity'd say that wouldn't give the right lesson."

"It is the Duty of Wingshadow House to safeguard the Equestrian common people," Sebastian observed softly. "Though I was not in the employ of the House at the time, I can only presume the Earl and Countess' thought was that it could only be to the Heir's good to have a strong connection to the citizens she was meant to protect."

Scootaloo nodded. "Yeah, that's what they said." She blinked her visible eye, holding back tears. "They wanted to nurture my fiery spirit, so anytime my antics got me in trouble and they had to 'punish me' for the sake of appearance, they'd 'exile me' from Canterlot for a month or two." She smirked mischievously.

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle caught the grin. "Meanin' ya got a couple months uninterrupted time in Ponyville?"

"Yup!" Scootaloo crowed happily. This sparked laughter amongst her friends, and she joined for a time. However, her joy soon left. "So yeah...that's why I wanted to keep my Canterlot life separate from my Ponyville life, even to the point of not telling you girls. It meant...I could actually be two different ponies. In Ponyville, I didn't have to worry about Duty and Charges. I didn't have to be Countess Sunrise Wingshadow. I could just be Scootaloo, stunt filly and Cutie Mark Crusader. But...now I'm the head of House. I guess...my time as a silly filly having fun is over."

"Doesn't hafta be," Apple Bloom offered. "Maybe ya can't be down in Ponyville as often, but whenever ya can take the time, we'll be there for ya!"

"And if you can't take the time to come all the way down, maybe we could make the time to come up for an afternoon!" Sweetie Belle offered. "Sebastian could probably get us back and forth in a jiffy."

Scootaloo managed a small smile. "Thanks, girls," she responded warmly, reaching around the table to rest her forehooves on theirs.

Apple Bloom suddenly giggled. "...Scoot, I know ya wanna keep it all separate...but can ya imagine..." She stuffed both forehooves into her mouth to stifle her laughter.

"Imagine what?" Scootaloo asked curiously.

"Th' look on Diamond Tiara's face if'n she found out!" she finally burst out, unable to hold it in any longer.

Scootaloo's eyes widened, and she burst into gales of laughter. "Sun, Moon, and Stars, that'd almost be worth it!"

Sebastian watched the laughter for a time, then cleared away the salad dishes before serving the dessert. As he did, Sweetie Belle looked up at him. "So when were you hired?" she asked curiously. "I mean, you said you weren't here when Scootaloo first went to Ponyville..."

"My Lady brought me under contract herself," Sebastian replied demurely.

Sweetie Belle suddenly gasped. "Are you a demon of vengeance under contract to destroy a secret cult that orchestrated what happened to Scootaloo and her parents?" she asked excitedly, neither her nor Apple Bloom noticing Scootaloo flinch.

Sebastian lightly booped Sweetie Belle's muzzle with one talon. "You read too many comic books, Miss Belle," he chided gently, making Apple Bloom burst into more laughter.