• Published 15th Feb 2017
  • 1,162 Views, 24 Comments

Day after Day - starbright154



A familiar pony appears at Sweet Apple Acres in the middle of the night. Applejack doesn't think twice about letting him in, but something begins to arise between the two. What will become of the two ponies? What is this pony's tragic story?

  • ...
1
 24
 1,162

Apple Bobbing

AJ's P.O.V.

On our walk to town for Pinkie Pie's Welcome to Ponyville Party for Flim, I had some time to do some thinking. As we made our way down the trail towards Ponyville, I couldn't help but feel thousands of butterflies fluttering in my stomach. My thoughts were all over the place, but one thought stuck out among the rest: I was going on a date with Flim. Although we were just going as friends, we could tell from each other that we wanted this to be more than just friends attending a party together, but we were too shy to say so. That was just such a weird thought to comprehend. Not long ago, I would have bucked him across the orchard the moment I laid eyes on him, but now, I couldn't even imagine doing anything like it. I would be too afraid to hurt his handsome face.

Wait, what? Ugh, romance is so weird, I thought to myself.

I sneaked a glance at Flim. His eyes were fixated somewhere deep in the Everfree Forest. I could tell he was thinking hard about something, and I had a feeling he was thinking the same thing I was, but before I could ask, I found myself too busy marvelling at his outfit. Rarity certainly had done an excellent job. It fit perfectly around his figure, and the whole outfit brought out his extravagant green eyes. Not to mention the cute cowpony hat sitting atop his head, along with the bright red bandanna wrapped around his neck. The way the white stripes in his mane and tail glistened in the moonlight, and the sparkles that emanated from those glorious, green eyes just made my mind woozy.

"He looks amazing," I thought, unaware that I had spoken those words aloud.

"I'm sorry, what did you say, my apple?" Flim questioned, turning around to face me.

"Oh, uh," I said, feeling rather flustered, "I said this party is going to be amazing."

"Oh, most definitely," Flim agreed, smiling, "Any friend of yours or their parties are bound to be just as amazing as you."

My face turned into a bright red apple at Flim's compliment. I hoped that the color of my dress would be able to hide my blush, but Flim had already noticed.

"You know, I love it when I make you blush," Flim commented, winking at me, which only made me blush even harder.

"Uh...uh, thanks, Flim," I stuttered out, trying to hide my bright red face from him.

"Ha ha! I'm just messing with you, my gorgeous apple," he chuckled, nudging his hoof against my own.

Before things got too awkward between us, we arrived at Sugarcube Corner. We could hear the music blasting out from inside, and the vibrations of beat played by the one and only DJ Pon-3 sent shivers of energy down our spines.

"Are you ready to party, Flim?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," Flim responded, a few drops of sweat falling down from his forehead.

"Hey, no need to worry, sugarcube. Everything's going to be amazing."

"I know it will, just knowing that you are with me tonight is all that I need to be happy."

I felt another blush coming on, as well as the tinge of magic around my neck, and I saw Flim's horn glowing. I looked down to see his magic engulfing my necklace, readjusting it so it was perfect. Once it was perfectly in place, Flim leaned forward and gently kissed my forehead, before opening the door for me like a proper gentlecolt would.

"After you, my dear, sweet apple."

"Thanks, Flim," I smiling, trotting on by Flim, but not before planting a small kiss on his cheek. I glanced back as I entered the shop to see Flim absolutely glowing from the happiness I brought him.

Following me into Sugarcube Corner, Flim returned to my side, before closing the door behind us, as we were now in centre of a crazy party thrown by a crazy pink pony by the name of Pinkie Pie.

Flim's P.O.V.

"Hey, Flim Jim!" Pinkie shouted in my face.

"Oh, hey, Pinkie," I responded.

"You and Applejack both look super duper fancy-smancy! Did Rarity help you guys with that?"

"Who else could've designed something so brilliant?"

"Ooh ooh! Let me guess! I know this one! Um, Twilight! No, Rainbow Dash! No, definitely not her. How about Fluttershy? Or Cheerilee..."

"Might as well join the party, or we'll be standing here all night waiting for her to guess every pony she knows," Applejack perked up.

"Good idea."

We strode over towards where the party was taking place. Everypony was clearly having a great time. I could see a rainbow mane bobbing up and down in the crowd, as well as a purple alicorn dancing, or an attempt at it, at least.

"Come on, Flim! Let's dance!"

AJ's P.O.V.

I felt terrific! It was like I'd never danced so freely, and I had certainly never danced with a colt before. I should have known Flim was able to dance in all kinds of wildly creative ways, and I loved it.

"Ya havin' fun, partner!?" I yellled, happily, over all the music!

Flim swept me up in a surprise hug. "Are Apples red?" he laughed!

My face flushed bright crimson from his proximity, and I looked away embarrassedly.

"I'll take that as a yes," said Flim, smirking.

He twirled me around and caught me in his arms, and we both resumed to dancing. In the middle of what was about the fifth song, Flim and I were spinning round together, dancing like a true couple. But just at that moment, a pony suddenly bumped into me, and Flim's hoof was knocked out of mine! I stumbled back past a few other ponies, and Flim fell back to the floor.

"Flim!?"

"Applejack!?

I tried to push my way through the crowd of ponies, but I couldn't get back to my date.

"Um, 'scuse me! Can I get through? 'Scuse!"

I stumbled, and was pushed back as the crowd was rather thick. I waved my hoof in the air.

"Flim! I'm over here!"

I couldn't see him, but I hoped he could see my hoof. Trying to stay on my hooves, I pushed through the crowd. I suddenly stumbled back and felt my back leg trip over somepony else's hoof, but before I hit the floor, I felt a hoof grab my arm, stopping me from falling. I slowly opened my eyes and looked up to see a familiar face.

"Glad I caught you," Flim commented, smiling down at me.

I smiled too, and he pulled me up. Now we were face-to-face, holding hooves and looking into each other's eyes. For the first time, this didn't feel like an awkward silence.

"Thanks," I said, smiling, "I coulda hurt myself."

Our noses were almost touching now. I even found myself looking at his lips for a moment. Then I shook my head, ridding my mind of all thoughts.

"Ya wanna dance some more, sugarcube?"

"Of course, my dear apple."

Flim's P.O.V.

After a few more songs, I needed to sit out for a little bit. I didn't think I had ever had so much exercise before, and I was starting to sweat like crazy.

"You okay, Flim?" I heard somepony ask, with a hint of country in her voice.

"Yeah, just a little worn out from all the dancing."

"How bout we try some apple bobbing," Applejack suggested.

"Try? Please, I'm the master at apple bobbing."

"Oh, really now?"

"What, and you are?" I asked with a cheeky grin on my face.

"You gonna be smug like that, huh?" Applejack questioned with determined look on her face.

"How about this," I began," Whoever gets an apple first is dubbed the best apple bobber."

"And the loser?"

"Has to clear out half the West Orchard."

"You really wanna make this bet?"

"Most definitely."

"Okay, then challenge accepted."

Applejack stuck her hoof out, and I grasped it and shook, confirming the bet.

"Come on, then."

I beckoned Applejack to follow me over to the apple bobbing booth. As we each took opposite sides of the tub of water, Applejack began the count down.

"3, 2, 1, GO!"

I plunged my head into the water and began to feel around for any apple I could get a grasp on. Everytime I about got one, it slipped out of my mouth. I was becoming frustrated before an apple flew right into my mouth. I bit down hard, as to not lose it and lifted my head out of the water.

"I won!"

I honestly, couldn't tell who won because Applejack picked her head up at the same time I did. I was confused for a second on how close she was, but then I realized we were holding onto the same apple. I felt my face begin to heat up, and I saw Applejack begin to blush. We were practically kissing if the apple wasn't in the way. I let go of the apple, and now Applejack was still holding it. She let go of it as well, and her red-colored cheeks began to turn back into an orange color.

"Well, I guess we both one," I commented.

"Yep, we sure did," Applejack responded.

Before things could get anymore awkward, I could see Pinkie Pie literally bouncing on over to us.

"Hey again, Pinkie," I said.

"Hey, lovebirds!" she said to me and Applejack.

"What, uh, no, we're just friends," we both muttered out.

"Well, I just wanted to ask how you liked the party, Flim?"

"Oh, it's great," I said, relieved to not talk about mine and Applejack's relationship.

"Hooray! Another successful party in the books!"

Once again, Pinkie Pie began to bounce but away from us.

"Hey, Flim, I'm getting kind of tired," Applejack spoke up," Do you mind if we head on out?"

"Sure, no problem, my apple."

This caused Applejack to blush again, and me to question just what I thought of Applejack.


AJ's P.O.V.

"So, uh, you liked your party?" I asked Flim.

"Oh, yeah, really fun."

"Good."

We were on our way back to the farm, both of us staying relatively quiet. The apple bobbing incident made it awkward between both of us, and we're both awkward ponies, so it was hard getting out of this awkward phase between us. I didn't want it to be like this forever so I suggested an idea.

"How bout we go to the lake? It'll be refreshing after being in a stuffy room."

"Sure, sounds good."

I lead Flim away from Ponyville and towards the swimming hole that my family usually goes to. Once reaching the lake, we went different ways to get out of our dress clothes, and then we got back together at the edge of the lake. I reached my hoof in and touched the water, and it was pretty chilly. I instinctively pulled my leg back, causing me to wobble a little, but Flim caught me before I completely fell over.

"Thanks."

I could see Flim nod his head in the moonlight in acknowledgement to my thank you.

"You want me to go first?" Flim asked.

"Um, sure."

Flim stepped around me and took a few slow steps into the water. I could see his face contort into a face of displeasure at the coldness of the water, but soon enough, it disappeared.

"It won't take long to get used to it," he said," Here, take my hoof."

He held his hoof out to me, and I took a hold of it as he guided me into the water. He never did let go, however, even when I was all the way in the water. For a few minutes we just stood together, hoof and hoof, looking at the moon.

"Whatcha thinkin' about?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing, " he responded, solemnly.

"Come on. You can tell me," I said, nudging him with my elbow.

"I just miss my brother, is all."

"Oh."

I didn't know exactly how to respond to that, but I think he caught on.

"It's okay. You don't need to worry about me."

"But I do."

I realized what I said a little too late, and I felt my cheeks begin to burn up once again. I also felt a hoof rest under my chin. The hoof raised my head up to look into Flim's gorgeous, green eyes.

"Thank you, Applejack. I needed to hear that."

"No problem."

For another few minutes, we just stared into each other's eyes, never looking away. Well, almost never looking away. We each continued to look down at each other's lips. I felt myself wade closer to Flim's body, as well as my body raising higher up to Flim's height, never truly making it. The close proximity of our bodies was overwhelming, but not as overwhelming as Flim's muzzle coming closer and closer to my own. We were so close to each other just a few more inches and we'd be - HMPH!

My thoughts were instantly stopped when I felt the impact of Flim's lips on mine. It was just what I had always dreamed of and even more! The softness and gentleness of his kiss was wonderful, and the ever faint taste of apple was there, as well. I also felt his hooves wrap around my body, bringing me even closer to him. The kiss, how it seemed like hours, was only a few minutes. Once we broke apart, I was smiling from ear to ear. To glow of the moon surrounded Flim's face, making him look amazingly handsome.

"Applejack," Flim whispered.

"Yeah, Flim?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Will you always be my apple?"

"Of course, Flim."

I saw Flim's face light up with joy from my response. In one quick motion, Flim picked me up bridal style, bringing me out of the water, and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Thank you," he said, before bringing his muzzle down for another sweet kiss.

Comments ( 3 )

Oh my gosh! This was SO cute! :D I loved every moment! I can't wait for the next chapter! Keep up the good work!

I really hope you come back and continue writing this because it's really cute and enjoyable and I hope you have a wonderful 2023. :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment