• Published 15th Feb 2017
  • 1,162 Views, 24 Comments

Day after Day - starbright154



A familiar pony appears at Sweet Apple Acres in the middle of the night. Applejack doesn't think twice about letting him in, but something begins to arise between the two. What will become of the two ponies? What is this pony's tragic story?

  • ...
1
 24
 1,162

Pathways to Friendships

AJ's P.O.V.


After waking up from a good night sleep, I made my way downstairs and started to cook breakfast. No one else was awake just yet, but Big Mac would probably be up soon. As I poured the pancake batter into the frying pan, I hear hoof steps approaching from behind, and I figure it's my older brother, but none other than Flim is standing at the kitchen archway watching me cook.

"I didn't think you would be up this early," I tell Flim.

"I figured the same for you," Flim retorted.

"Well, after years of working on the farm, you get use to waking up so early in the morning."

"I suppose that can be true."

Flim closed off the distance between us, with him standing beside me at the stove. There is less than five feet between us, and I could already feel my face heating up just as the stove was. Before I embarrassed myself in front of him, I moved away from the stove and grabbed some eggs.

"Flim, could you cook the pancakes while I start on the eggs?"

"Sure."

It wasn't long before the rest of my family woke. Big Mac, Apple Bloom, and Granny Smith were already seated at the table when me and Flim brought breakfast over to them.

"Dig in, everypony," I announced.

That does it for them. Before I even take a bite of my pancake, Big Mac and Apple Bloom had already stuffed down two pancakes while Granny Smith had already finished off her eggs. Flim and I just looked in shock at them and glanced at each other. I shrugged my shoulders and dug in myself.

No one wonder they were eating so fast. These pancakes were amazing! Much better than the ones I usually make. I notice Flim out of the corner of my eye looking and smiling at me.

"What?" I asked with a half-eaten pancake in my mouth.

"I figured everypony would enjoy my pancakes," he responded," I added a couple of ingredients to make the pancakes sweeter and fluffier. My mother would always make pancakes for our family, and I picked up the recipe over years of watching my mother do it."

"Your mom is an amazing cook!" Apple Bloom exclaimed with bits of pancake all around muzzle.

Flim chuckled before eating himself. Before long, all the pancakes had disappeared from their serving plate. The only evidence left that there had ever been pancakes was that everypony was covered in it. Flim levitated the dishes over to the sink and started cleaning them off. While he did, I decided to let him know what the schedule was for today.

"Okay, Flim, today we're going to go meet my friends," I told him.

He paused for a second before continuing to wash the dishes.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Flim questioned," I mean, Rarity was kind enough to see past my mistakes, but are you sure about your other friends?"

"Now, don't go getting your mane in a tangle. My friends are known for giving second chances. Even if this is your third chance, they will be more than willing to make you feel welcomed to Ponyville. We'll meet one of my friends at a time so you can get to know them better. Sound okay?"


"Yeah, it sounds great. Let me get dressed and we can go."

While I waited on Flim, I went ahead and told Big Mac our schedule again, so he would know where we went off to. I told him I would get more work done today to make up for the past two days. I made my way back to the house to see Flim standing in the doorway wearing his new outfit that Rarity made. It still took my breath away to see him dressed so nicely. I sighed before quickly moving those thoughts to the back of my mind.

"Ready, Flim?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."



Flim's P.O.V.

Applejack told me that our first stop that were going to meet a pegasus pony named Rainbow Dash. The name sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it. As we made our way to the meeting spot, I couldn't help but stare at Applejack. Just the way the sun reflected off of her gorgeous, green eyes and the way the wind blew on her blonde ponytail. The freckles sealed the whole package.

Stop it, Flim. Applejack would never like a stallion like me. Besides, I kind of messed with her family one too many times. I'll never have the chance.

I shook the thoughts out of my head when Applejack announced that we were here. We were in the middle of a park, with, surprisingly, not that many ponies around.

"Hey, Rainbow Dash!" Applejack called out, looking up at the sky.

"Look out!"

Before I could comprehend where the voice had came from, I was knocked down on to my back with a cyan pegasus hovering above me.

"Flim, are you okay?" Applejack asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

I got up on all fours and got a good look at the rainbow tornado that had knocked me over. Hovering in front of me was a cyan pegasus with a rainbow tail and mane along with magenta eyes. I glanced where her cutie mark would be and saw a cloud with a rainbow strike coming out of it.

"Whoops. Sorry," the pony said while trying to keep back a laugh," I guess I wasn't watching where I was going."

"As usual," Applejack commented.

The pony stuck her tongue at Applejack before turning back at me.

"Name's Rainbow Dash, though I've bet you've heard of me before since I'm one of the best flyers in all of Equestria."

"Nice to meet you, Rainbow Dash. I'm Flim, although I'm sure you've heard of me before."

Rainbow Dash lowered down to the ground and gave me a look of disgust.

"Yeah, I remember you. You and your brother were the ones who tried to take over Sweet Apple Acres."

"Yep, that's me alright," I replied with a nervous laugh," I know now that I never should've messed with the Apple family the way me and brother did. I felt awful after we had sold that tonic to Granny Smith. We almost made her kill herself. I realize now that I don't want to be a conman anymore. I want to follow my own path, away from my brother and to begin to be more truthful along the way."

Applejack looked and smiled at me. I could tell she was proud of me for apologizing to her friend. I honestly felt great myself.

"Hey, it's no big deal," Rainbow Dash said, applying a smile to her face," If you're willing to be a better pony, I'll forgive you of your mistakes."

"Don't worry, Rainbow Dash," Applejack replied," Flim is already on his way to becoming a much better pony than he was before."

I smiled at Applejack at that lovely comment she said about me. I noticed the faintest hint of a blush appear on her cheeks before it disappeared just as quickly as it had arrived.

"Well, it's nice meeting you, Flim," Rainbow Dash said," But I have to go to Wonderbolts training now, so you guys later!"

In a blink of an eye, Rainbow Dash had already took off in to the sky before I could even reply.

"Let's go, Flim," Applejack said to me," We still have three of my other friends to meet."

"After you," I gestured.

By the time we had made it closer to town, my stomach was growling. I realized it was lunch time, I mentioned it to Applejack.

"Do you think we could have lunch?" I asked her," I'm starting to get hungry."

"I'm getting hungry myself, so sure, why not?" Applejack replied," And I know just the perfect place."

She turned down a different path from the one we had been following and led us right to a building shaped like a cupcake. If the food inside was a good as the outside of the buidling, then this was surely going to be a good lunch.