• Published 8th Nov 2016
  • 1,584 Views, 15 Comments

A Week in Equestria - Doughboy

  • ...
0
 15
 1,584

Chapter 4: A Tourist's Commute

The rest of lunch wrapped up quickly with both ponies opting to just quiet their hungry stomachs rather than small talk. The soup tasted just as good heated up again when Sunset first tasted it.

Starlight had excused herself saying that she had some studying to do. Not wanting to bother her new friend, Sunset left her to it. But with nothing else better to do and plenty of time to kill she felt like taking a walk.

Sunset went back to her room, took out all the other stuff in her saddlebags, and put the camera back in without the box. Sunset thought about leaving a few of the presents in the bags just in case she did run into any of the pony versions of her friends. But decided against it, thinking it would be odd if some random pony just walked up to you and gave you a present.

Although she has seen Pinkie do that multiple times in the halls of CHS. Sunset shrugged and just left them out.

Backtracking to the kitchen, Sunset was able to easily find her way out of this Goddess forsaken castle and outside.

Sunset would have squint her eyes to adjust to the light outside if it weren’t for how bright it was in the castle. Due to the nature of the construction material, Sunset thought that inside of the castle must be just as bright as the outside.

Sunset took a deep breath and exhaled. There was one thing that the castle doesn’t have good air circulation.

The first thing that Sunset noticed about Ponyville was how close the castle was to the rest of the small town. Granted everything in Canterlot felt like it was built on top of itself and Sunset never got a good look at the Crystal Empire. The placement of the castle just felt off to Sunset.

And as Sunset walked to the town proper and started seeing other ponies, she noticed how nice everypony was. Most of the ponies in Canterlot wouldn’t even give Sunset the time of day. Although now that she thought about her altitude at the time probably didn’t help matters. But every pony that Sunset walked past greeted her in some way. Whether it be a “Good Afternoon”, a nice “Hello”, or a “Hi, how are ya?”

Sunset greeted each and every pony back and even recognizing a few. It had been like that book that the girls had shown her because they were fed up with her not getting the reference. What was it called again “Where’s Faldo?” Almost everywhere Sunset looked there was a pony version of a student she knew at CHS. The Pony versions of the students almost looked like carbon copies of the students themselves, except that they were ponies and not humans.

Maybe it won’t be as hard to find the others as I thought.

Having nowhere to be and nowhere to really go Sunset just wandered, taking in the sights and sounds.

Sunset suddenly had found herself in the still busy market square. Sunset stopped and thought about doing some window shopping, since she had no bits which to speak of.

Then the most wonderful smell in the world tickled her nose. It smelled like apples and a bit familiar. Sunset looked all around but couldn’t see the source of such a delicious scent.

Well knowing them, they wouldn’t have the biggest stall.

Using her nose to track the smell, Sunset walked through the market trying to find where the smell was strongest.

After a couple of minutes, Sunset thought she had gotten really close but still couldn’t see the stall, if there was one at all.

Then a voice graced Sunset’s ears, “Thank ya for the purchase,” The voice was coming from a nearby corner of the square.

Sunset excused herself through a crowd of ponies. When she came out the other side, she saw the most humble stall that she had seen yet today.

The stall was all brown stained wood with a green tablecloth on top. The front of the stall was painted with a bunch of red apples. Two posts held up a small sign that read “Sweet Apple Acres”.

Sunset smiled at the small thing and looked back at all the other stalls in the square. Most had flashy decorations and fancy fabrics to draw the eye.

Sunset had remembered of the few times she had helped Applejack and the rest of the Apple family at the local flea market. When she got to the flea market, Sunset had noticed the same thing she did now. That all the stalls were all showy to attract customers while the Apple’s stall was a miserable pile of sticks. Sunset had asked Applejack why she doesn’t do the same as everyone else at the market. Applejack had said that the product should sell itself not a bunch of smoke and mirrors to get someone to buy it.

Guess these two worlds are more alike than I first thought.

Sitting behind the stall was a pony that Sunset had to guess was Applejack because she looked just like her. Same blond hair, er mane, done up in a ponytail. Same orange skin, er coat, and same Stetson hat.

Hm, how should I do this? I mean I technically know her but it would probably be weird if I just walked up and started a conversation with her. Although it’s not like anypony or person would mind if I did that, as long as I am friendly.

Sunset shifted her weight from one side of her body to the other and back, unsure of what to do. Then she noticed that Applejack was staring right at her. In all of Sunset’s nervousness she failed to catch what Applejack was doing.

Seeing that the cat was out of the bag, Sunset tip-hooved up to the stall. She opened her mouth to apologize but Applejack cut her off.

“So is that how ponies introduce each other in that other world of yours, staring at one another,” Applejack said with a smug grin.

“Ah no, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to be…,” Sunset floundered then her mind caught up, “Wait did you?”

“Yep,” Applejack’s grin got wider.

“But how?”

“Your name’s Sunset Shimmer. It isn’t hard to sush out what a pony looks like judging from a name like that. Besides I’ve never seen you before and I haven’t seen a whole lot of new ponies around these parts in a while.”

“Wow, so does everypony else know?”

“Probably not, except maybe Pinkie, Twilight only told us your name and that you were a unicorn. I’m just smarter than what everypony thinks I am.”

“Well at least your words of wisdom have yet to steer me wrong yet.”

“Oh and I thought Twilight was supposed to be the teacher. So this other Applejack is the same as me.”

“Yep, in fact I’m pretty sure she has this exact same stall,” Sunset brought up a hoof and tapped the stall a few times.

“Huh like looking though a mirror I guess,” Applejack snickered, “How do you like it back here?”

“Well before I went through the mirror the first time, I never really traveled very far from Canterlot. This is my first time in Ponyville and I would have to say that I get why ponies would live here. Everypony is so nice and it’s so quiet as opposed to Canterlot.”

“I hear ya, Canterlot isn’t for everypony,” Applejack leaned on the stall, “So what are you doing out here? I’d figure you’d be out doing magic or whatever.”

“Yeah I guess after several years of not really using it I got a bit rusty,” Sunset winced, “And what’s wrong with just taking a walk just because it’s a vacation doesn’t mean I have to do things I wouldn’t normally do.”

Applejack put a hoof to her chin, “I guess that’s true. Sometimes the only thing I want to do when I got no work to do is just relax.”

“Heh, Yeah,” Sunset shifted a bit then remembered something, “Hey do you mind if I take a picture of you?”

“Not at all Sunset, but how are you going to do that?” Applejack’s ears perked up.

“With this,” Sunset’s horn started to glow then the Polaroid camera popped out from her saddlebags.

“And what the hay is it?” Applejack stared at the camera with paranoia.

“It’s just a camera kind of like the ones you guys have here but newer,” Sunset laughed, “Now smile.”

Sunset put the viewfinder up to her eye and pressed the button.

“There just like that. You can even see the picture you look almost instantly,” Sunset took the picture from the camera and placed it on the stall.

“Huh, would ya look at that usually we have to wait a day or two for Photo Finish to develop them but that was dang fast,” Applejack pushes up her hat with a hoof.

The picture was put into the saddlebag along with the camera, “Well I guess I will see you later then. Let you get back to business,” Sunset turned to leave.

“Wait Sunset,” Applejack ducked under the stall and brought out two of the shiniest red apples Sunset has ever seen, “Have these for the road.”

“Applejack I don’t have any money.”

“No cost for a friend,” Applejack smiled.

“You barely know me,” Sunset deadpanned.

“How ‘bout friend of a friend and in my book that still counts,” Applejack pushed the apples closer to Sunset.

“Thanks Applejack, have a good day,” With that Sunset took the apples and waved goodbye.


Sunset chomped into one of the apples as she sat on a park bench.

Oh Celestia that’s good. It’s not much different than the apples I get from the human world but it’s still good.

Sunset would have to thank Applejack again.

Sunset looked up to sky; the sun was still high up there. It was pretty weird to not have a phone or watch to check the time. But if Sunset had to guess it was about two o’clock in the afternoon.

Sunset sweep her gaze across the park. It was perfectly serene and quiet, except for a few fillies and colts playing a ways away.

Sunset then looked back at the sky but in a specific spot. From where she was sitting she could just make out the top of Canterlot castle from beyond the trees.

Sunset sighed, part of her wanted to just teleport right in front of Celestia and get it over with but the other part of her wanted to avoid the interaction at any cost. But Sunset knew that the latter wasn’t going to happen. Sunset knew that Twilight wasn’t the type of pony to force anypony to do anything but she knew that there was no way Twilight was going to let her stay here for a week without at least meeting Celestia once.

Sunset finished her apple, hopping off the bench and taking aim at a nearby trash can. Sunset lined up the shot, taking in account of any wind, with a flick of her horn the apple was sent flying through the air and directly into the trash can.

Sunset pumped her hoof and yelped with joy of making the shot. She then walked off in random direction.

Hmm, what should I do now? I don’t have the greatest idea of where things are in this town but I have some hunches as to where things could be. Maybe if I go this way.

A few twists and a lot of turns with a hint of a flip Sunset’s gaze fell on the place that she was looking for. It’s the only thing in town that looks like it, a positive shining star of fashion in a sea of rustic hometown architecture.

Sunset looks up at the carousel like building and shakes her head.

Only Rarity would have something like this as her place of work. Leave it to her to stand out.

Wasting no more time, Sunset walked inside the boutique hoping that this won’t be as awkward as last time. The bell above the door ringed with a voice calling out from the back, “Coming.”

She had the same sing-songy primp proper voice that sounded like someone trying to be better than everyone else. It used to annoy Sunset, now she thinks it’s about as normal as everything else in her life and would hate to see it go.

The inside of the boutique was just as fancy and beautiful as the outside. Sunset walked around the shop looking at various dresses, remembering all the dresses Rarity has made for her in the past. One of these days she really has to make it up to Rarity whether she likes it or not.

Sunset was looking at a greenish dress when she heard a door swing open followed by the pitter patter of hooves from behind her.
“Why hello there dearie, How many I hel-,” Rarity gasped, “Oh my Heavens.”

Sunset turned around to find out why Rarity was freaking out. Instead Sunset saw Rarity staring her up and down.

Maybe she already knew who I was.

Suddenly, Rarity rushed to Sunset pushing her up on to the stage and starting taking measurements, “I am making you a dress this instant, darling.”

“What, Why?” Sunset tried to follow Rarity with her eyes but the crazed unicorn wouldn’t stop zipping around her.

“Why, WHY, have you looked into a mirror lately? You are simply glorious darling. That coat, those eyes, and that mane. I have never seen anything like it, that’s why. And you simply must tell me where you get your mane styled,” Rarity was moving and working faster than Sunset had ever seen her do before.

Other than the times when Rarity had taken her to get her hair done, Sunset never really bothered with it, “Um, no pony, I just brush and wash it nothing more.”

Rarity sounded like she got the wind knocked out of her, “Ha, you must be joking?”

Rarity stared into Sunset, “Uh no not joking, the only pony to have my mane styled was yo- er one of my friends. She just as obsessed with fashion as you are,” Sunset waved a hoof over the shop.

Sunset didn’t know why she was trying to keep the truth away from Rarity, it’s not like it’s a secret.

Rarity tilted her head, possible pondering the statement, “Well whoever this pony is they did a wonderful job. Your mane practically sticks in place,” Rarity finally said getting back to her measurements.

“Heheh, yeah sometimes I don’t even brush it at all,” Sunset joked, “Then my one friend gets really mad at me,” Then she deadpanned.

Rarity didn’t stop working this time, “Hrumph, Well your friend has every right to be mad. To let this gorgeous go to waste would be a travesty. If I wasn’t the pony I am I’d have half a mind to slap you right now just for even admitting that.”

Rarity stepped back from Sunset floating a clipboard in front of her jotting down notes, “Hm, I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name. It would be rather silly of me to make a dress for a pony and not know their name.”

I’d rather not lie to her.

“It’s Sunset Shimmer,” Sunset looked hurt and rubbed the back of her neck.

“Alright, Sunset Shimm-,” Rarity stopped writing and looked up at Sunset and then back down at the name she had written.

“That only makes sense that somepony like me would be the only pony to have your mane styled like that,” Rarity tossed aside the clipboard.

“So you’re not mad at me,” Sunset looked dejected.

“No not at all darling, it wasn’t like you were lying or intentionally not telling me. I just got swept up in my process that you weren’t able to introduce yourself. Besides I was planning on making you a dress anyways,” Rarity smiled.

“Wait why? Is it because you’re just being generous to a friend of a friend,” Sunset said.

“Em partly, I do make dresses for all my friends no matter who they are. But you must already know of the party in Canterlot at the end of the week,” Rarity’s clipboard flew back to her and she resumed a partially started sketch.

“Um, I wasn’t told anything about this party. Care to fill me in,” Sunset worried.

“Oh, yes well Celestia announced a few weeks ago that she was going to hold a party similar to the Grand Galloping Gala in the castle. This party is to be a bit less formal than the Gala. She promptly sent out invites to everypony, Starlight included. Then Twilight said that you were coming and asked for another invite for you. Celestia obliged and sent one over straight away. I think that’s it.”

“Oh great,” Sunset screamed internally.

It was only a possible certainty that I was going to meet Celestia this week. Now it is an absolute certainty.

Comments ( 7 )

Poor Sunset, she just sorta walked into that. Now imagine when she meets Pinkie! Party in the castle incoming!

Or better meeting Luna, Cadence, Shining Armor and baby Flurry Heart.

There was one thing that the castle doesn’t have good air circulation.

...didn't have, and that was... or The castle doesn't have good air circulation. Do something with that sentence.

her altitude

attitude

see the picture you look almost instantly

took

“Why hello there dearie, How many I hel-,

how may

Well, Sunset, time to face the music!! Oh, and have you met Discord yet?

“Oh great,” Sunset screamed internally. It was only a possible certainty that I was going to meet Celestia this week. Now it is an absolute certainty.

[youtube=https://m.youtube .com/watch?v=PGYjr5cBhp8]

Suddenly, Rarity rushed to Sunset pushing her up on to the stage and starting taking measurements, “I am making you a dress this instant, darling.”

this is exactly the meeting i was hoping for.

Please please continue 🙏😍

please update sometime soon, please and thank you!

Login or register to comment