• Published 18th Nov 2016
  • 4,692 Views, 462 Comments

For science - Znegil



Stella finds a new world full of wonders, what starts as pure research becomes something life changing for her. There are stories with characters dance around each other and finding each other just at the end of the story... this is not one of them.

  • ...
33
 462
 4,692

41 Gala

"Let me help you, Twily.", I said and grabbed the make-up brush out of her magical aura.

I sat before her and looked what she had done so far, it was smeared and all over the place.

"Have you ever done something like this before?", I asked her smiling while I wiped her face clean to start again.

"No...", she admitted. "But I want to look extra pretty for you today."

I started to apply dark purple eyeshadow to her eyelids. "You know you always will be the most beautiful mare for me, no matter who else is in the room or what you do to your face."

Eyes still closed, she pursed her lips. I was more than happy to give her a warm loving kiss.

After a few seconds Luna spoke up: "Ahhhh, you two are so cute together. I want some of this too."

I broke the kiss brushing my hand along Twilight's cheek. "I told you, there will be so many ponies at the Gala I'm sure you find someone kissable."

"I don't have high hopes for it...", she mumbled.

My hand was shakier than I wanted it to be. "This is hard.", I said. "I'm not used to do this with my non-dominant hand."

Twilight opened the eye I wasn't working on at the moment, and her horn started to glow. Her magical aura surrounded my hand and kept it steady. I could still move it at will, but she stabilized my movements.

"Thanks, honey.", I whispered to her.

"Anytime, my love.", she replied.

I kissed her warm lips again.

"Oh come on, now you are doing it on purpose...", Luna complained.

...

We waited at the gala entrance for our friends to arrive. Celestia had a growing line of ponies before her, all eager to greet her. Some ponies came up to Luna and wanted to greet her the same way, but she chased them away and told them "I'm not going to do THIS all night." Pretty soon nopony tried to bother her anymore.

After a while, their carriage arrived and one after another they stepped outside. They all looked so lovely in their gala dresses. I was very impressed with Rainbow's outfit, so colorful but elegant at the same time. Fluttershy's green dress was a nice contrast to her pink mane.

Applejack surprised me in multiple ways. Instead of wearing the green and red apple themed dress I had seen in Rarity's shop before, she was wearing something completely different. Her dress was in a very dark green color, almost black, striped with a slightly lighter green. Her front hooves were wrapped in a similar fabric and got highlighted by some golden buttons. Her mane and tail had been beautifully braided, and a black Stetson rested on her head.

The next surprise was the dark gray pegasus stallion by her side, his mane a light cyanish gray with lighter streaks. I was able to spot a storm cloud as his cutie mark.

They all approached us, Pinkie Pie bouncing. Fluttershy and Dashie were walking side by side, Rainbow had her wing wrapped around her marefriend's body.

"Hi, my name is Thunderlane.", the stallion introduced himself to us.

We went through our introductions, and I pulled Applejack to the side. "Look who brought a handsome stallion with her.", I whispered with a smile. "I told you there would be candidates if you show you're interested."

"He is a nice guy, and I'm happy not going single to the gala, but it doesn't look like we have anything in common."

"Maybe he surprises you throughout the night.", I told her with a smile. "And if not, we will help you finding somepony else."

"Thanks.", she replied and nuzzled me. I was surprised by this sign of affection, while I had witnessed it many times before, nopony except Twilight ever did it to me. Applejack showed a slight blush on her cheeks, and we joined the group again.

We bypassed the line to Celestia and went straight to the entrance. Just as we passed Celestia, she extended one of her wings and blocked Twilight from entering.

"Sorry Twilight, you can't enter the Gala.", she told my marefriend. Twilight was flabbergasted and just stared at her. "Not without giving me a hug.", the princess continued and drew her into one. "I wish you all a good time tonight.", she told us as she broke the embrace.

"Thanks a lot, princess.", we all said nearly unison, except Luna who just smiled.

We entered the Gala, and I saw some of my fears came true, it looked like some high-class Renaissance event. "Oh my...", I muttered.

"Told you.", Luna replied.

...

We had mingled in the crowd as much as possible.

Fluttershy and Rainbow stood next to the snack table and talked to each other.

Applejack and Thunderlane stood somewhere on the other side of the room.

Rarity went outside to the gardens in pursuit of some white coated prince with a blond mane.

Me, Twilight and Luna kept each other company and talked about our favorite foods and ice cream.

That's when Pinkie took the stage and got the orchestra to play some fun upbeat song, the 'Pony Pokey'.

I just smiled at these typical Pinkie antics because it was some nice change of mood.

Unfortunately, some of the snooty ponies were not that happy about it.

"This is high-class, not a filly's birthday. Please leave the stage.", one of the ponies addressed Pinkie.

She left the stage with a sad face and stood in a corner while the orchestra played classical music again. Only now I recognized Octavia was one of them, what a shame she couldn't play one of her modern songs.

I looked at Luna. "We want something more fun and not this, right?"

She nodded in full agreement.

"I have a plan to make this party actually fun. Do you support me on it?"

"Anything but this. What is your plan?"

"Follow me.", I led them to Pinkie Pie.

"Hi Pinkie.", I greeted her.

"Hi.", she answered sadly and moped.

"Pinkie, I have a huge favor to ask.", I began and waited until I got her full attention. "How long would it take you to get a DJ with all of his equipment in here?"

Her smile came back immediately. "Vinyl Scratch was playing in the 'thumping pony' this afternoon, it's not far from here, and I bet she is still there. Thirty minutes, maybe even quicker."

"I was hoping you would answer something like that.", I replied. "Luna to you agree to this plan?"

Luna had a huge grin on her face. "Absolutely. Go for it."

"Shouldn't we ask Celestia first?", Twilight chipped in.

"Am I less of a princess than her? Can't I make decisions myself?", Luna asked in a dangerous tone.

"No... No, of course not.", Twilight replied and took a step back.

"Well, then I will change the program." Luna's horn lid up for a brief moment and a small silver moon ornament floated in front of her. "Here Pinkie Pie, take this. Nopony will stand in your way if you show it, they will know you are acting on my behalf."

Pinkie disappeared in a pink blur.

...

Less than half an hour later, Pinkie showed up again, a white unicorn mare with spiky blue hair next to her. Three ponies were following them, carrying speakers and other stuff.

The orchestra stopped playing as they started to put the equipment on stage, everypony was confused.

I took the opportunity and went up on stage, which immediately got me all the attention in the room.

"On behalf of Princess Luna, our lovely co-host of this gala, we will have more modern music for the rest of the night.", I began. I saw a lot of angry snooty high-class ponies. "If you have complaints about this, please write them down neatly on a piece of paper... and throw it in one of the wastebaskets."

The crew had assembled everything in record time while I had talked to the crowd.

"The stage is yours.", I said to the DJ. "Maybe you start easy on them." She just nodded in reply.

While the music started with a nice beat, I went over to Octavia who was clearly angry as she packed her cello.

"Hi Octavia, big fan of your modern music. Would you be so kind and play some of your own songs later? Many of them are so romantic and would be perfect for some dancing with my marefriend. You will get triple payment."

She agreed with a smile. "I'm happy to bring my music to a larger audience."

I looked around. The high-class ponies had cleared the dance floor, while others came closer, curious about what happened. I spotted Lyra Heartstrings, she was one of the first ponies dancing to the music. More and more came to the dance floor and moved to the music.

I went back to Luna and Twily. "Now that is more like a party.", I told them and started dancing too. To my surprise, Twilight seemed to love the music as well, but her dancing style was... rather unique. I tried my best to stay close to her without getting kicked.

"Look, your sister is joining in too.", I told Luna. "That's some nice butt wiggle.", I added with a grin.

Luna turned around and saw her sister was in a great flow with the rhythm.

"Great idea sister!", Celestia shouted to us. "That's something I would never have risked on my own."

"Thank you.", Luna was beaming and looked so proud.

...

After some minutes the music was interrupted by loud screaming from Rarity: "... and you are the most impolite and arrogant pony I ever met!"

The music stopped and all eyes focused on Rarity and the prince next to her.

"And you are just another gold digger. You aren't worth my time at all. I can have three like you in bed within ten minutes."

While Rarity started to cry, Thunderlane got between them. "Hey! That's not how you speak to a lady! Back off or you will need a new set of teeth."

The prince took a few steps back, terrified and shouted: "Get away from me ruffian!" He looked like he would pee himself any second. Only a moment later he turned and ran through the crowd.

Thunderlane led the crying Rarity outside in the garden.

The music started again, and ponies kept dancing. I gazed over to Applejack and she just stood there, looking lost. After a moment she walked to one of the floral arrangements and put a yellow flower in her mane while she looked to the ground.

"Does a yellow flower still mean you're lonely and want to meet somepony?", Luna asked.

"Pretty much, why?", Twilight asked back. Since she was smaller than us, she hasn't seen Applejack.

Without a reply, Luna steered through the crowd towards Applejack. We went after her, but I made sure we kept some distance to Luna.

As Luna reached her, she talked to her: "Hello Applejack, you look breathtaking tonight, but I love your usual look as well."
"Thank you princess.", AJ answered quite surprised. "You look lovely as well."

Luna used her magic to levitate the flower from Applejack’s mane into her own and whispered into her ear. I saw Applejack blush, and after some seconds she put her Stetson on Luna's head who had bowed down to make it possible. Together they went into the garden.

"I guess they want to become acquainted with each other.", I told Twilight smiling. "I hope this works out."

I kissed my marefriend. "Wait right here."

I went over to Vinyl and Octavia. A minute later Octavia sang 'forever love' while playing her cello.

"May I have this dance?", I asked Twilight and looked deep into her eyes.

"With pleasure.", she replied.

Slowly we moved over the dance floor, our bodies entwined and kissing while we danced. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Fluttershy and Dashie doing the same.

Author's Note:

Here is the question for all of you:
What did Luna whisper in Applejack's ear?

A big thank you to Izzy8911 for telling me his idea for the 'make-up scene'.