• Published 18th Nov 2016
  • 4,686 Views, 462 Comments

For science - Znegil



Stella finds a new world full of wonders, what starts as pure research becomes something life changing for her. There are stories with characters dance around each other and finding each other just at the end of the story... this is not one of them.

  • ...
33
 462
 4,686

6 Air

I woke up to the sound of birds singing a happy tune. I looked around and saw Fluttershy feeding them some seeds and chatting with them. The strange thing about it was how she spoke to them. It seemed like they had an actual conversation but I only understood one side of it.
"Good morning Fluttershy.", I whispered since I was afraid to frighten the birds away from her.

She looked back at me. "Oh, I hope my little friends haven't woke you from your slumber."

"I can't think of a more lovely way to wake up then to their sweet little song.", I truthfully replied. "Excuse me if this question sounds odd... but can you understand them?"

"Oh yes.", she answered smiling. "It's part of my special talent to understand the animals. That is what my cutie mark stands for.", she pointed to her rear.

"You mean these butterflies on your...", I searched for the right word.

"Flank.", she helped me out. "Yes, when a pony discovers it's special talent that makes it different from other ponies, a cutie mark appears on their flank."

"It just appears? There is no painting involved?", I asked.

"It just appears, but it is a pretty magical moment."

"Of course it is." I rubbed my temples. "All things seem to be connected to magic here, I really should talk to... Twilight?"

"Yes, Twilight Sparkle. Her special talent is magic. I doubt there are many other ponies in Equestria who know as much about magic."

"Do you think she would meet me here?", I asked. "I don't believe it would be a good idea for me just to walk into Ponyville."

"I'm sure she will be more than happy to, she never lets a possibility to learn something pass. When Dashie is here, she can fly to her and ask."

"Hey slowpokes! Come outside!", we heard a familiar raspy voice.

Fluttershy giggled adorably. "Of course she would be right on cue."

We went outside into the warm morning light. I saw Rainbow circle the sky impatiently.

"There you are!", she shouted and zipped down to my eye level. "Are you ready to be blown away by the most awesome tricks you have ever seen?"

"Sure, I am curious to see what you can do.", I replied to her and really meant it.

She showed the biggest smirk I had ever seen and took off in the sky again.

"Come down and lie in the grass with me.", Fluttershy said from below, laying on her back watching the sky. "This is the best way to watch it."

I did like she said and laid next to her, while Rainbow gained more height. When she was sure we focused on her, she started her program. She went straight into a fast dive towards us and pulled up incredibly sharp only 10 feet above us, a gust of wind pressed us down in the grass. Next, she did loops and screws in quick sequences. She did flight maneuvers the craziest airshow pilot would get sick from. She had incredible stamina, the whole thing went on for ten minutes.

"She loves this so much.", I heard Fluttershy say. "To see her happy like this means so much to me."

I looked at her, she had happy tears in her eyes.

She pointed upwards. "Watch out, now comes the grand finale. It's a move she only perfected weeks ago."

I focused on the sky again and searched for Rainbow, she had reached incredible heights and was only a moving dot in the sky. But she seemed to loose height incredibly fast. "Is she in trouble?", I asked worried.

"Everything is fine, keep on looking."

Faster and faster she fell, so much I started to worry again. Suddenly there was a loud noise and rainbow colored rings began to expand from the position she was just before. I watched in awe as they got bigger and bigger. I heard Dash land right next to me, breathing heavy. I could not avert my eyes from the beauty above me.

"So... what do you... say?", she asked out of breath.

I looked at her. "Incredible and beautiful. I can't believe what you did up there."

She laid down next to us. Her sweat smelled somewhat spicy but not unpleasant.

"Told you I would blow you away.", she grinned.

"If I hadn't seen you do it, I would have expected your wings to break from at least half the maneuvers. What was this thing at the end?"

"It's the 'sonic rainboom', my signature move, I'm the only one fast enough to do it."

We just laid in the grass for a while. We watched the sky and Rainbow Dash explained to me several of her maneuvers and what she had to be aware of while doing them.

"Rainbow, would you ask Twilight Sparkle if she would meet me here?", I asked her after a while.

She spread her wings. "Sure, I'll tell her and do my weather duties afterwards, so bye for now." She took off and was gone in no time.

"I'm leaving as well. I have to feed some animals.", Fluttershy announced quietly.

"Do you need help doing it?"

"No, I'm fine.", she said. "Just wait here for Twilight."

So I laid back in the grass and closed my eyes. I enjoyed the warm sun on my body and the singing of the birds while I waited.