• Published 18th Nov 2016
  • 4,686 Views, 462 Comments

For science - Znegil



Stella finds a new world full of wonders, what starts as pure research becomes something life changing for her. There are stories with characters dance around each other and finding each other just at the end of the story... this is not one of them.

  • ...
33
 462
 4,686

13 Gathering data

We spent the rest of the day in bed next to each other, watching documentaries on my phone. Nearly every information in these got Twilight to ask at least one question, and I did my best to answer them. She was sad she couldn't use her magic to take down notes, but I promised her we could watch all of these as much and often as she wanted. When the battery on my smartphone finally died, we taught each other how to read our different languages. It was quite remarkable since we spoke alike, it was just different characters. For example, their 'A' looked like a 'G' turned on it's back. For this reason we made significant progress and were able to read simple sentences within hours.

I looked out of the window and saw it was already dark outside. Twilight promised me to explain the night sky, but my growling stomach reminded us to eat something before. I got myself some apples from my backpack and made her a fruit salad from what I found in her kitchen.

"You have to meet Applejack and Rarity once I feel better.", she said mouth half full. I looked at her with a huge smile. I was amazed what amounts of food she was able to shovel into her mouth using her hoof and a large spoon.
"What? I'm always hungry when I'm sick, all this knowledge and learning made me ignore my hunger, but I need energy to get well again."

'How is she able to look cute while eating like a pig?', I thought to myself.
"I can't wait to meet them. All ponies have been fascinating characters so far.", I said after I had finished the last of my apples.

After she finally finished her eating frenzy, she pointed me to some additional blankets and pillows, which I used to make a comfortable makeshift bed on the balcony.

"Could you carry me?", she asked and used her puppy eyes again.

"You know it's not fair to use that look.", I said.

"That's what my dad always said too.", she giggled.

"You're lucky I wanted to carry you anyway.", I told her smiling while I picked her up. I still was amazed how light she was. Maybe it was the reason to the pegasi ability to fly, and all ponies only weight a fraction of what they should. I carefully put her down on the blankets and laid next to her, watching the night sky. She lectured me about the different kinds of stars, the ones that were real stars fixed in position and the ones Princess Luna just put up for decoration.

"I think I brought a book about our night sky.", I said. "We can look into it later."

"That's an excellent idea.", she answered. "I love stars and their constellations so much." she played with the shooting star necklace using her hoof. "You know... I have to write friendship lessons to Princess Celestia, about the things I learned about friendship..."

"That does sound interesting.", I answered while still looking at the sky.

"Yeah... you know, one of it was how important it is to tell your friends the truth, even when you think it could be bad, a friend will understand."

'She knows I lied about my reasons to come to this world.', I thought and looked to the ground. 'I should tell her the truth.'

I heard Twilight breathing hard. 'I should really...'

"I fancy you."

'...go ahead and just...'

"Wait, what?", I asked surprised.

She rambled on: "I know it is stupid and we are so different, but we feel similar in other ways. Of course you said I'm cute, but by pony standards I not cute or pretty, and I must be so alien to you there is no way you could ever... mmmhhhh."

I had blocked her stream of words by softly kissing her lips. They still tasted like the fruit salad she had. I felt like flying and at the same time an incredible warmth flowed through my body. She had closed her eyes, and her cheeks looked red like they were burning. Once we broke the kiss her eyes opened again, and her eyelids fluttered for a moment.

"That was unexpected... ", she finally said. "I never imagined a kiss to feel this good."

"Well... we cheated a bit by using a positive feedback loop.", I said smiling. "But most importantly, you are cute, pretty, sexy, smart and I love you too." I kissed her muzzle.

She blushed again, and I felt an enormous wave of happiness emitting from her. "Positive feedback loop? What is it?"

"I want you to know the truth of all. I don't want any secrets between us.", I started. "I lied to you and the princesses when I said I just wanted to learn. I had a boring job in my world, as I found this world I was hoping to get famous for finding it and to be treated like a real scientist. I knew very well humanity would take all resources from this world, we would be able to and there would be nothing you ponies could do about it... my kind has terrible weapons and we don't hesitate to use them." I saw Twilight tried to get more distance between us. "But when I got to know you and your friends, I couldn't stand the thought of someone hurting them, someone hurting you."

"The nightmare...", she whispered.

"Yes, my guilt tortured me, showed me what could happen to you. I would never let anything harm you. I will go back to the portal and seal it in a way it will never open in this world again."

"So you could never come back to me?", she asked tears forming in her eyes. "We just have met, and I don't want you to go!"

"No please don't cry Twilight. You have misunderstood what I was saying.", I used my fingers to wipe away her tears. "I will seal it in a way that allows me to use it one last time to come here to you."

"But you will be trapped here. You will never see your world again."

"I will be with you. That is all I want right now." I pulled her into a hug.

"But what if you miss your world in the future, I would be the reason you can't ever see it again... what if you hate me for it?"

I pushed her back just enough so she could look me straight in my eyes. "I could never hate you Twilight. Your whole world is at stake here. I could not live knowing I ruined an entire world full of sentient creatures. Even if you did not exist, I still would seal the portal."

"Don't you think our species could be friends and learn from each other, like we two do?", she asked me.

"It's not like all humans are monsters.", I replied. "There are a lot of nice people in our world... but the onces who are in control of the portal, the military... We had some meetings with them at the beginning of the project. Someone asked about what would happen if we found a planet to mine and it had intelligent life on it."

I paused and didn't know how to tell it.

"What was their answer?", she asked after a while.

I sighed and told her straight away. "If they are more advanced than us, we must behave friendly and learn from them... if they aren't... We can't have such things come in our way, we're talking about mining a whole planet, it will be an enormous advantage for our country. No one except us will go over at the beginning, so no one will ever know if they have vanished."

Twilight looked at me in horror.

"How... could they...", she stuttered.

I just held her tight for a few minutes, neither of us said a thing.

...

After about fifteen minutes she had calmed down again.

"That is a lot to take in...", she said. "What about the positive feedback loop?"

"Okay, I know our souls are connected and me telling you about it will not only bring positive emotions to you. But don't be scared, I will be right by your side."

She looked at me confused. "I don't understand what you are trying to say? Connected souls?"

"Year's back I was together with someone, Viola.", I started and looked to the ground. "I could sometimes feel what she felt, no matter where she was, at least very strong feelings. We had this connection, we were made for each other, I felt whole when she was near. When I am close to you, I feel the same... Then one day, she died in an accident, I felt her pain and started crying and screaming while I was at work. People thought I had gone insane." I cried while all this pain and grief washed over me again. I looked to Twilight. Her face was contorted with pain.
"I'm so sorry.", I apologized and chased away these grim thoughts.

Twilight relaxed again. "So much sorrow...", she said. "I felt it."

She hugged me and I stroked her mane. "I'm so sorry for this.", I repeated. "The connection seems to be much stronger in this world. Because this connection shares all kinds of feelings, not only negative ones we experienced a positive feedback loop as we kissed. You feel my love and happiness which makes you happier. I feel you getting happier which makes me even happier... and so on, of course only up to a certain level."

"So our positive emotions are amplified while we are sharing them?"

"That is correct."

"Well it is a theory.", she stated. "We would need much more data to verify it.", she had the biggest grin on her face.

"Ohhhh, so you would like to gather some data?", I asked as serious as I could while looking at her.

"Well, one data point can't be enough, we have to produce more.", she said and shortened the distance between us.

"Let's go for one hundred as a start.", I whispered to her.

We started to kiss again while our hearts melted and became one.