• Published 29th Aug 2016
  • 1,405 Views, 11 Comments

Let It Grow - FourShadow



CPA student Garden Grove continues her every day job of running her flower shop and catching up with the events of her fellow friends...

  • ...
0
 11
 1,405

Another Day

Author's Note:

I got the character names by this image here.

https://derpicdn.net/img/2016/3/17/1110902/large.png

Also this was a little bit of a practice for me, so please leave positive/constructive criticism if you can. If this gets good enough, I will make more of these. In fact, if there are more of these you'd like me to do, with a specific character, please tell me in the comments below. And if there's something you'd like me to do with these background characters for future fics, please tell me. Thanks, and enjoy the story.

Another day in the city, another day of school, another day of running the flower shop, and another day of me getting to hang out with my friends.

My name is Garden Grove. I'm a student of Crystal Prep Academy, one of the top schools in the my city. We always have the best scores, the best athletes, and we always beat Canterlot High School at the Friendship Games, that's why we're the best around. Everyone who ever attends Crystal Prep are usually wealthy, and can afford a lot. And that's what my family is, we're wealthy and we're among some of the higher classes in our society.

I know what you're thinking. This is pretty pretentious of me to say, and it actually is. But its not as pretentious as what the majority of the most popular students at school think. Some of the top ones like Indigo Zap or Sugarcoat just look down at everyone who isn't of high class like us at CPA. While I'm not high class like they are, I'm still liked by them, and they treat me well like everyone else.

One thing about Crystal Prep is that a majority of the students who attend are all about near the age of having to attend college in a few years. And for all high school students around that age, we need to have jobs. Luckily for me, I already got myself a job and I know what I want to do when I become an adult.

I run a flower shop over in the city of Canterlot. It may be small, but it pays the bills. And today is just another typical day for me, but today I'm closing a little early so I can hang with friends and work on some homework.


Once school let out, I began walking down the busy streets over to the shop with a smile on my face. I was always excited to open up the shop because working in that store helped me get away from all of the colorless walls that seemed mostly reign Crystal Prep. While I may have respect for our school for being the best school there is, I don't have any amount of respect for its design. Its so bland and lifeless it just makes things dull for me.

As I walked through the streets I look to see the sights around me. On my right, I can see a very cute candy store, I always love going there to get some sweets just to get the sugar rush going. Always kept me awake. And on my left I can see the main cafe that all Crystal Prep students love to go to: The Hot Kettle Cafe. Oh the thought of tasting the sweet chocolatey goodness of the hot cocoa... its enough to make me hungry.

Anyways, I continued on walking down the street. As I look on the ground I can see some bits of candy wrappers and empty soda cans that have been crushed. Probably from all of the people around here that don't even have the decency to help our environment. Jerks.

I finally made it to the front of my store, pulled out my golden key for the door, and opened up. Once I set foot in, I take a moment to smell the freshness of the flowers around me, and to look at the checkered floors. I have displays of almost every kind of plant in there. Well not every kind, but a lot. There are plants on display on a table island in the middle of the room, I've got some hanging on the walls, on display near the front window, almost everywhere.

I look forward to see my little counter that I work behind and walk on over. I slip on my name tag, and I put the open signs up, and I take in a deep breath. I'm ready!

"Okay... lets do this." I say to myself.

After a half hour passed by, I finally heard the bell ring to let me know someone's come in through the door. I look to see a girl with orange skin, and messy frost colored hair. It was my best friend, Frosty Orange. The two of us have been best friends since we were little kids, and the fact the two of us went to the same school was just awesome. I always recognize her since she always has the back of her hair poofed up.

"Hey Frosty!" I called out.

"Garden, hey, how are you doing?" Frosty cheerfully replied.

"I'm doing okay. Just another day of running the shop."

Frosty put her bags down behind the counter, and gave me a hug.

"Oh, before I forget, Principal Cinch posted some upcoming news on the school website. The Friendship Games are coming soon." Frosty replied sounding very enthusiastic as well as showing off the big grin on her face.

"Oh. That." I bluntly replied, showing no amount of enthusiasm.

"I guess you're not as excited about it?" Frosty asked.

I simply shook my head. "No, I'm not."

Frosty did understand why I didn't like going. I was never thrilled about the Friendship Games mostly because honestly they're a complete bore. We always beat CHS, and every time they have a party to welcome us, its never any fun. Mostly because all of us hate each other to no end.

But then our attention was turned to the sound of the door opening again, this time two other students of Crystal Prep coming in. A brother and sister, both with orange skin and purple hair. This was Peter and Ginger Owlseye. Peter was the older sibling out of the two of them, taller than his sister, and the front of his hair was spiked up standing up. Ginger on the other hand had her the front of her hair all flat covering her eyebrows, and almost hanging in front of her eyes.

"Hello again Garden. Frosty." Peter said.

"Hey Peter. How are you today?" I said to Peter.

"I'm doing alright. And you?" Peter asked.

"Not too bad. You need some flowers?" I replied.

"Actually, its just me. I needed to stop by to get flowers, for my... date, tonight." Ginger interrupted.

I immediately picked up on what she meant. You see, both of the siblings while they treated each other well, both of them had a fair share of secrets they kept from each other. And what Ginger was hiding, even though it's not that big of a deal, she always did treat it like it was.

You see, Ginger was going out on a date with one of the girls at Crystal Prep, a one named Cold Forcast. She had minty green skin and a bit of a blueish-greenish color in her hair. And she never told her brother Peter about it because well, she wasn't sure how he would react to news like that. He had no idea she was out on a date...with a girl. But from what I know about Peter, he has no objections to those kinds of people or has any prejudice whatsoever, which boggled my mind why Ginger had the need to hide that bit of information.

"Oh right, I forgot. Anything you would like to get?" I asked her.

"Can you get some red roses, my date likes those kinds." Ginger replied.

"Sure thing." I walked on over to where there were some red roses displayed, and wrapped them up in a bouquet for her to give for her date, along with attaching a little ribbon to them. I held them tight in my hand so they didn't drop and I passed them over to her.

"Here you go, and enjoy your date." I said with a friendly smile.

"Thanks Garden. So, Peter, shall we get going?" Ginger said to her older brother.

"You go on ahead, I'll catch up soon. I just need to talk to them about something first." Peter said.

With that, Ginger stepped out of the store, and the older brother turned his head towards me and Frosty.

"Okay, I already know she's going out on a date with another girl, but why isn't she telling me this?" Peter said out of nowhere. The question got me completely off guard, but I remembered he wasn't against those kind of people.

"Well maybe she doesn't feel comfortable telling you that." Frosty replied with a shrug.

"I know, but, she shouldn't feel ashamed to tell me that. In fact, I would agree, that girl she's going with, Forecast? She's kind of cute." Peter said with a friendly smile.

My eye glanced over to Frosty who raised a brow questioning the tone in his voice. Did he secretly have the hots for Forecast?

"Not that I'd be wanting to ask her out, no, not at all!" Peter raised his hands in protesting.

Frosty just giggled a bit. "Well just make sure you talk to Ginger about this calm and collectively."

Peter gave a serious face and a nod. "I know, I will. She's my sis. She's...she's got nothing to worry about. Uh, later girls." Peter stammered as he waved his hand and walked out the door

Frosty and I shared a glance both giggling from his stuttering. I then looked at the time and noticed it was past 4:00.

"Hey, should we get going? I know we told Zephyr we'd meet her at her place to work on geometry." I said.

"Of course, lets go." I said before taking my tag off, and double checking inventory. Everything was in its place, and it was all locked up and ready. I hung the signs up to close for the day, and walked off with Frosty, on our way to catch up with another one of our friends to work on homework.

Another day of working in the store, another day of school, and another day of hanging with my friends.

Comments ( 11 )

I like this kind of stories where other background characters are given more attention. :yay:

7520312 well I do plan on making more like these.

7520364
Maybe doing a Sweet Leaf one shot?

7521299 Maybe. Just... maybe.

You set the scene pretty well with the walk to the flower shop.

I was never thrilled about the Friendship Games mostly because honestly they're a complete bore. We always beat CHS, and every time they have a party to welcome us, its never any fun. Mostly because all of us hate each other to no end.

...This almost makes it sound like Garden Grove has gone to multiple Friendship Games. But I thought they were only held once every four years...

Also, a girl buying roses to give to her date is a pretty big tip off, so I'm not sure why she thought her brother didn't know.

You've got an uphill battle here getting me to latch on to such little-known characters, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of their personalities in chapters to come!

7522038 As for the multiple Friendship Games thing, here's my reason. When Rainbow Dash showed the book with the CPA students winning and the CHS students winning, they looked the same age as they currently were in the movie, which is why I refused to believe the games only go for once every four years.

And I do plan on making more of these. If you look, I have a blog post attached to this story saying if you guys want me to make more stories with these background characters. Just scroll through, and you'll find it.

7522059 More of-

Ohhh, wait, is this a one-shot? Or will there be more chapters about Garden Grove?

7522066 Maybe. And maybe some more stories regarding these background characters. Just look for the blog post regarding Background CPA characters, and you'll see what I mean. I hope. Here's the link.

http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/668237/crystal-prep-background-character-story-ideas

Huh. This is pretty nice. It seems like just a normal day.

7522234 Yeah I wanted to go with a slice of life story.

Ah, a mini-prolouge to your other story! :yay: Very nice!

Login or register to comment