• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 824 Views, 38 Comments

80 Days: Under the Waves - Sharp Spark



The aristocratic and well-to-do unicorn Flash Fog has made a wager that she could circumnavigate the globe in only eighty days. With the assistance of her loyal valet, Porter Stout, Madame Fog is ready to face any adventures the journey may lead to.

  • ...
1
 38
 824

.

Scarcely an hour later, we walked out of the eastern bounds of the city. With the starstone’s fragments on a cord around each of our necks, a wobbly bubble of air formed around each of us.

“That was simpler than I expected,” I said.

“We are not to land yet, Porter,” my mistress said, gravely. She looked out into the darkness of the sea and I knew that our journey had only just begun.

We began our trek, picking our way across the floor of the ocean, as darkness intensified all around us. More than once, a rocky outcropping or jagged coral reef forced us to reconsider our path.

Days later, as we rested in the cleft of a stony cliff, I noticed something odd. Behind us, a pinprick of light floated on the very edge of my vision. Curious, I retrieved the spyglass that I had picked up weeks ago in Istanbull, and peered back at the apparition.

I saw a dome, encompassing roiling flames and smoke. There was nothing in that direction save the city we had fled, and I could not imagine what danger could have befallen it in such a short time. Just as I paused to rub my eyes before taking a second look, the light winked out, leaving nothing but darkness behind.

I told Madame Fog what I had seen, disconcerted with the implications. “Best not to worry,” she replied. “We have far to go, and little time. Let us press onwards.”

[ENDING B]