• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 823 Views, 38 Comments

80 Days: Under the Waves - Sharp Spark



The aristocratic and well-to-do unicorn Flash Fog has made a wager that she could circumnavigate the globe in only eighty days. With the assistance of her loyal valet, Porter Stout, Madame Fog is ready to face any adventures the journey may lead to.

  • ...
1
 38
 823

.

I eagerly accepted his proposition, and peppered him with questions as we walked to the western outskirts of the city. He deftly parried my attempts to discern our destination, demonstrating a wry wit.

When we reached the boundary of the city’s dome of air, he boldly strode out into the water, and I had to hastily secure my mask before following. The device worked wonderfully, despite some minor discomfort, but I found adjusting to moving in the water far more difficult. Sawtooth watched my flailing attempts at swimming with his crooked smile, and when he held a reached a hoof out questioningly, I nodded with relief.

The next thing I knew, he effortlessly surged through the water, coming up behind me to wrap his forelegs securely under my own. I barely had time to gulp a breath before he pushed forward and we were off, traveling at a remarkably high speed through the water as he used his powerful tail to propel the both of us together.

I suppose in some ways it might have been embarrassing, having to be cradled like a foal as my own form was far too ill-equipped to deal with life at the bottom of the ocean. But rather than a hindrance, Sawtooth swam with a confidence and power that instead made me feel at one with the sea. I felt like I realized some fraction of the connection the sharkponies had to this place, but even that shadow of a feeling brought me a tremendous sense of wonder.

Then we arrived at his destination, a coral reef...