• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 824 Views, 38 Comments

80 Days: Under the Waves - Sharp Spark



The aristocratic and well-to-do unicorn Flash Fog has made a wager that she could circumnavigate the globe in only eighty days. With the assistance of her loyal valet, Porter Stout, Madame Fog is ready to face any adventures the journey may lead to.

  • ...
1
 38
 824

.

And then I came to the end of the tunnel. I was expecting just a rocky dead-end. Instead, the passage opened into an incredibly vast cavern. Far, far below, I could see where the drill head had fallen, to land among rocky outcroppings below.

Ever so slightly, one of those outcroppings moved. I blinked, unsure if I had seen it right. I couldn’t see walls to the right and left, just water stretching out. If the terrain below was the body of a creature, it was immeasurably vast and terrifying--perhaps a gargantuan serpent coiled upon itself, or some even more strange and otherworldly being, beyond the knowledge of ponykind. Or perhaps my imagination was simply running wild in the moment.

Then, I noticed movement below. Tiny creatures streamed over and through the outcroppings below--or rather, they were so distant as to appear as ants. They were pale and sinuous, despite having roughly equine forms. One stopped, looking upwards, and I realized my light was still on. I fumbled with it, trying to switch it off. When I looked back down, they were all staring at me.

They were like lice, I realized, feeding off of a larger animal…
They must be protecting the being below, I thought…
I wondered what creatures could survive at this depth...