• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 824 Views, 38 Comments

80 Days: Under the Waves - Sharp Spark



The aristocratic and well-to-do unicorn Flash Fog has made a wager that she could circumnavigate the globe in only eighty days. With the assistance of her loyal valet, Porter Stout, Madame Fog is ready to face any adventures the journey may lead to.

  • ...
1
 38
 824

.

The line connecting Crankshaft to the vessel suddenly went slack.

“Take us out of here,” Madame Fog said. “Now.”

Minnow burst into tears. I pushed the throttle forward as far as I could, and we began to move upwards, towards the surface of the crevasse. I saw more pale figures on all sides of us. Countless numbers of the creatures swam alongside, and I knew with a sick feeling in my stomach where they had to be headed.

When we got out of the crevasse and could see the city, I knew that it was already too late. My mistress reached out a hoof to shield Minnow from the sight, bringing her into an uncharacteristic hug.

“Should we--”

“No,” Madame Fog said. “Take us away from here.”

She bent down to get to eye level with the little sharkfilly. “It’s going to be fine,” she said, in a softer voice than I had ever heard before. “But I need you to be strong, okay? Do you know a place that’s far away but safe? Where your family would go in an emergency?”

Sniffling, Minnow nodded. “Th-- there’s another place we go in the summers sometime. I can show you where.”

As we set off, the lonely submersible traveling through the wide and open sea, I couldn’t help but look back one last time at the burning city behind us, at the bottom of the ocean floor. It had been a strange place, a sight that few ponies would ever see. And as the dome of magic abruptly winked out and the ocean came crashing in to reclaim its place, I realized that I might be the last pony to have ever had that chance.

[ENDING H]