• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 824 Views, 38 Comments

80 Days: Under the Waves - Sharp Spark



The aristocratic and well-to-do unicorn Flash Fog has made a wager that she could circumnavigate the globe in only eighty days. With the assistance of her loyal valet, Porter Stout, Madame Fog is ready to face any adventures the journey may lead to.

  • ...
1
 38
 824

.

Much to my surprise, one sharkpony was preparing a kettle of tea, suspending the iron pot over a small fire. I paused and inquired whether he had leaves for sale--Celestia knows that my mistress and I have gone far too long without a decent cup, and a taste of home might raise Madame Fog’s spirits and fortify her for our travels.

As it turned out, the concoction wasn’t tea at all, but a form of concentrated algae, boiled and refined into a hot beverage. Against my better judgment, I accepted a taste of the liquid and found it to be surprisingly good, even if a little strong in its salty flavor.

After some haggling, I purchased several packets of the dried components. I felt certain that Madame Fog would turn her nose up at the idea of drinking algae, but it would certainly do in a pinch, and make an interesting souvenir of our journey besides.

My spirits were lifted as I discovered one stand selling so-called sea cucumbers...
Eventually I stumbled across a trader who specialized in kelp and seaweed...