• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 814 Views, 38 Comments

80 Days: Under the Waves - Sharp Spark



The aristocratic and well-to-do unicorn Flash Fog has made a wager that she could circumnavigate the globe in only eighty days. With the assistance of her loyal valet, Porter Stout, Madame Fog is ready to face any adventures the journey may lead to.

  • ...
1
 38
 814

.

It was late by the time we arrived back at the city. As soon as I had removed my mask, it was as if the floodgates had opened, and I could not help but gush about our journey and the sights we had seen. Sawtooth weathered my storm of chatter with an easy smile as we walked through the streets of the city.

By the time we reached my temporary quarters, I had run out of steam and we had settled into a comfortable silence. I hesitated, standing outside the door. No light shone through the window, indicating that my mistress had already retired for the night. I certainly could have quietly entered without disturbing her, but something held me back.

I looked back at Sawtooth, who for the first time I had ever seen him appeared to be nervous.

“Drypony--” He shook his head. “No. Porter. Thank you.” He frowned and stared past me, his tail lashing.

The personality of my mistress had long ago taught me to interpret silences and actions just as clearly as words, and I saw a deeper meaning in the brief hesitance we both shared at this parting.

I responded with actions, not words...
I smiled, and thanked him in turn…
I turned wordlessly away...