• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 824 Views, 38 Comments

80 Days: Under the Waves - Sharp Spark



The aristocratic and well-to-do unicorn Flash Fog has made a wager that she could circumnavigate the globe in only eighty days. With the assistance of her loyal valet, Porter Stout, Madame Fog is ready to face any adventures the journey may lead to.

  • ...
1
 38
 824

.

I headed to the market to procure provisions for my mistress and myself, a little fearful of just exactly what I would find. I could smell the open-air plaza long before I found my way through the winding streets to enter it directly. An overwhelmingly pungent tang of salt hung in the air, and I gagged as I trotted through the crowds.

Of course, when I saw the market’s primary wares, the source of the smell became quite clear. Small carts and repurposed rowboats held fish of every hue and description, and sharkponies wandered from stall to stall, haggling in their raspy tongue over the bulging-eyed creatures. Some of the fish, I noticed with a shudder, were alive, still twitching and gasping.

My goal of finding acceptable provisions seemed unattainable, but I kept my mind and eyes open as I explored.

Much to my surprise, one sharkpony was preparing a kettle of tea...
My spirits were lifted as I discovered one stand selling so-called sea cucumbers...
Eventually I stumbled across a trader who specialized in kelp and seaweed...