• Published 9th Aug 2016
  • 824 Views, 38 Comments

80 Days: Under the Waves - Sharp Spark



The aristocratic and well-to-do unicorn Flash Fog has made a wager that she could circumnavigate the globe in only eighty days. With the assistance of her loyal valet, Porter Stout, Madame Fog is ready to face any adventures the journey may lead to.

  • ...
1
 38
 824

.

My mistress looked at Crankshaft sharply. “You’re talking about the embryonic monomyth.”

“Hmph.” A flash of begrudging respect crossed his face. “Exactly.”

“The… what?” I cut in.

Madame Fog glanced at me sidelong. “Several cultures possess quite similar mythological constructs, positing the existence of a planet-sized creature incubating at the center of the earth. It’s often tied to eschatology, with its awakening corresponding to the destruction of the world.”

“All fairly far-fetched,” Crankshaft said. The Hippocampus turned its nose down, and we began descending into a deep crevasse. With a flick of a switch, the submersible’s headlights came to life. “But there’s a kernel of truth. The deeper you go, the higher the readings of ambient magic. The strength increases exponentially this far down.”

“So you’re condensing this ambient magic and using it to power a generator,” Madame Fog mused. “Clever.”

“Wow, yeah!” a voice chirped from inside a locker...