• Published 17th Jun 2016
  • 12,199 Views, 408 Comments

The Man With No Country - Tarot Card



Jeremiah Walker, a human in search of redemption and passage back to his own world, finds himself at the center of Spike’s volatile civil rights movement in Ponyville— the town that chased him away with pitchforks and torches a year prior

  • ...
31
 408
 12,199

2: The Day of Reckoning

Author's Note:

Note: story takes place during seasons 2-3
edited by me.

Twilight had spent countless afternoons in Celestia’s study, sharing tea with her. Although she never appeared quite so nervous. Her mane was in slight disarray, and she trembled slightly. Then again, she never had anything to appear quite so nervous for.

Celestia hid her weariness behind a demure smile, as she poured Twilight a cup of tea. Amidst the cups and saucers and teapots, Twilight’s essay about the human rested on the table.

True to her student’s nature, it was thorough, from sketches to approximate measurements, eating habits (both observed and rumored), to its social behavior and linguistic capabilities. Prescriptive, objective, something to please any biologist in pursuit of a taxonomic report on the Homo Sapien.

And true to her student’s nature, it totally missed her point.

Celestia sipped her tea. She was vaguely aware of Twilight talking her through the subsections.

The day the human arrived in Ponyville, she had been enroute to Zebrica with Rainbow Dash. Twilight’s letter on the human had been forwarded from Canterlot to her. And on that carriage, she read the letter hastily. A strange and interesting creature, came out of the Everfree forest. Potentially dangerous. Potentially friendly. Strange and unusual creatures were nothing unusual in Equestria. So unimportant the letter, and so pressing were the diplomatic arrangements, her post haste reply was simply,

Twilight,
I have full confidence that you will handle this situation appropriately in my absence. Please report back to me on the situation as soon as I return to Equestria.

Kind Regards,
Celeste Apollo Asteria

How she came to regret that expediently drafted letter.

Twilight was still talking. “I was able to to interview him, and although he seems dissimilar to most civilized, social races, he told me that humans have their own towns! Not only are they capable of building structures, but like us, they also have totally distinguished and specialized roles. He told me he was training to be a pastor, which—”

“Twilight,” Celestia interjected softly. “The very same day that Luna released her report, I wrote you that we needed to discuss the human. Did you truly believe that I wanted a scientist’s perspective on the human’s social habits?”

“I.. I wanted to impart all the information I gathered.” She kneaded the pillow underneath her with her hooves. “I want you to know that I tried to solve the problem, that i’ve been taking my studies seriously.”

“You only saw him as a creature to be studied and relocated, when more than anything Jeremiah Walker needed a friend.” It felt as though there were a stone in her stomach. She continued. “I’m disappointed in you.”

Twilight’s pupils shrunk to pin points, her ears drooping. “P-Princess, I can write you a better essay, I can tell you whatever you need to know. If I knew the rubric, I could…”

“I’m not disappointed in your essay writing abilities. I’m disappointed in your conduct. I’m disappointed that you let this human be kicked around by Ponyville, and that you let the situation escalate into a full blown riot.” She realized her voice was starting to crescendo. She steadied her tone. “I have expectations of you Twilight, great expectations. I could understand any other pony’s inaction, but I hold you to a higher standard. I need to know I can rely on you to stop these things from ever reaching such a boiling point. I need to know that you’re helping keep the peace instead of adding fuel to the fire.”

Twilight was fighting back tears as she spoke. “I let you down princess Celestia. I... failed you.” She winced as she said the word. “I don’t deserve to be your student. A real student of yours wouldn’t have let the human be mistreated. Especially a student studying friendship. I just… I don’t want to leave Ponyville. I want to be around the girls and Spike. Without you, without my studies, they’re all I have. Please…”

“I did not call you to Canterlot to dismiss or punish you. You forget Twilight Sparkle, failure is a part of learning. I will not pretend that i’m not hurt. I feel let down by what became of the human under your watch. But I am looking for a way for us to move forward from this.” She took a breath to compose herself. “Now, let us understand what went wrong, and hope you use that knowledge to better your future judgement.”

“I.. don’t know where to begin,” Twilight murmured, tears on her cheeks.

“In your own words if you will, tell me what happened.” Celestia poured herself another cup, and added three scoops of sugar.

Twilight sighed and rubbed her eyes. “I’m sorry. I mean, I thought that it wasn’t safe to let him live in town. I thought he was a liability. Fluttershy is the kindest pony, and the best at handling wild animals. If she was afraid of him, I thought maybe he would be better off with creatures more similar to him. I didn’t think he would fit in, especially if his first reaction is to kill animals without even asking permission.”

“So you thought he was not a good fit to live among us.”

“I didn’t. Not right away.”

“And you were so invested in trying to relocate him, you didn’t acknowledge he was trying his best to coexist,” Celestia said, “And you became so ingrained into thinking how to remove him that you didn’t consider alternatives outside of that. You didn’t see any other aspect to the situation.”

“Something like that. Towards the end I realized that he was genuinely trying to adapt to our society. He came from a society like ours, and he actually could have settled here with my help. But by then it was too late.”

“This is not the first time you had such tunnel vision. Do you remember when you had the whole town fighting over your smarty pants doll?”

Twilight fidgeted with her cup. She still had not taken a sip. “I was so focused on the fact that I hadn’t sent you a weekly friendship report, that I tried to manufacture a friendship problem, just so I could write about it. I should have realized that sending you a friendship report wasn’t that important.” She eeped. “I mean, they are important, but I should have told you I had nothing to report on, instead of causing a scene.”

“The friendship reports were not as dire of a priority as you made them out to be. But you were so focused that it didn’t cross your mind. Your focus is a great strength of yours, but to a fault. Twilight, recognize this tendency, and know when to stop and fully asses the situation. You could have prevented the riot if you had stopped to think about this situation outside of your friend’s biases.”

She bowed her head. “I’m sorry, I feel like such a failure.”

Celestia lifted her chin. “Failure is a part of learning. You have made some critical mistakes. But I know you were acting with the best interests of Ponyville in mind. It was merely a misguided attempt. I have failed too. I gave you this task without fully understanding it. I should have taken more time to gain a fuller picture. Leaving you in charge without further instruction was a rushed decision.”

“You can trust me though! I won’t let you down.”

“I hope that is the case. You’ve proven yourself to me many times before. And you have let me down before. But I have big plans for you, and I need to know that you’re capable of thinking clearly in tough situations like these. I need to know that I can rely on you when all the cards fall. I need to know that you won’t get locked into one frame of mind at the expense of other avenues.”

“What do you want me to do? I’ll do anything! I promise!”

Celestia sighed. “I have a letter from Spike. He’s telling me that he’s started a movement to allow non-ponies to become citizens.” She stood up, and walked to the window. Outside, she saw Canterlot, and the valley below, the southern swath of Equestria. Since the nation’s founding, it had been a nation of ponies. And they thought it daring to unite earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi under one banner.

What would the founders think of this movement now? She almost chuckled at the thought.

“He has been. And it’s been causing a lot of tension. Between him and me, and in Ponyville,” Twilight said.

This did not surprise Celestia. “Tell me, what do my little ponies think of Spike’s proposal?”

“I’m not sure… a lot of ponies are against it. Some are for it. The mules and donkeys and griffins, I’m not sure what they think.”

“I ask that you keep an eye on things in Ponyville for me while this happens. Spike’s movement was born of the human’s arrival, and now that Luna’s report has been released, I fear that Ponyville is a powder keg for unrest.”

“You want me to support Spike’s movement?”

“As ruler of Equestria, I will leave that up for my ponies to decide. If the nation calls for a vote, I will host one, and act according to the will of my ponies. I will not tell you which causes to support. I only ask that you make sure that there’s not another riot. Make sure voices are heard, and make sure the conversations are constructive. Truth be told, I never before entertained the idea of non-ponies becoming citizens. It simply never occurred to me. But Spike feels a need for it, and I will listen to what him and others say.”

“Celestia, consider it done!”

“Twilight, do not be afraid to contact me if you feel that things are getting out of hoof.”

“I won’t let you down!”





The sung hung low in the sky. Celestia met her sister on the topmost balcony of the castle. The two nodded towards each other. With some telekinetic persuasion, she rocked the sun beneath the horizon.

There. The day was finally over. A sudden wave of weariness hit her, so she slumped onto her hindquarters as Luna raised the moon.

“I’m feeling more confident about my princessly duties,” Luna said, looking at the stars.

Celestia gave a slight smile. “I’m glad.” Even though it had been three years since her return, she still grateful for Luna’s presence, her support in controlling the heavens and the kingdom.

Luna saw her sister on the marble floor. She walked over. “You seem distressed. Tell me sister, how did the conversation with Twilight go?”

Celestia was grateful for her emotional support too.

She rose to her hooves, and rested on the balcony. “I think she understands the gravity of her actions.” Celestia paused to look at the stars. In Luna’s absence, they had fallen into disarray. It took her some time, but Luna had arranged them back into beautiful swirls and constellations. “I think the best thing for her is to stay in Ponyville, and make sure there’s no aftershock riot in the wake of this report.”

The two walked off the balcony, and toward the dining hall.

“Do you still think she’s princess material?” asked Luna, with the faintest hint of contempt.

Celestia kept her voice low as they passed by guards, servants, and other attendants out and about. “I don’t know anymore. I think everyone is in need of a second chance, so I gave her one. She’s too valuable of an asset. I care too much about her. I… I have a hard time believing that this happened under her watch is all. I feel betrayed.”

“Yours is a philosophy of forgiveness. I am not so,” Luna said as they rounded the corner. “I would have dealt with her harshly.”

“I may be a ruler, but I am also a teacher. Punishment can only teach so much. I’m not prepared to lose another pupil without trying to help them see their own weaknesses.” She stopped to think. “What about the human, Jeremiah Walker? Whatever became of him in this whole mess?”

“Now that the report is released, we can serve justice to the ponies that tried to kill him. Though this will do little to send him home. He still wanders Equestria, searching for a way to atone for killing his brother. It is the only way to find passage back to his own home. But for the life of me, I can find no information on how that is done.”

There was a small circular table set in the corner for the two princesses. No other ponies ate at this time, the long feasting tables empty. They sat down as their meals were presented to them, a light dinner for Celestia, and breakfast for Luna. “I can only remember so much from those days,” Celestia said. Before her was a pear and goat cheese salad, with toasted walnuts and vinaigrette. She poked the salad with her fork, trying to get each of the components of the dish into a single bite. “I thought I might try to help you, but I found little about the Wanderers in the archives.”

Luna chuckled as she drizzled syrup onto a stack of pancakes. “I do remember you saying on countless occasions that you were too busy making history to write it down.”

“Yes, when you live as long as we do, everything we say seems to come back and bite us in the flank.”

“Do you remember that one Wanderer, Ishmael? The one that helped defeat Tirek before the Crystal Empire vanished?”

“Hardly. I think he went home after that happened. I remember not how. Do you remember that cat like creature, also a wanderer that helped us save the Breezies?” asked Celestia.

Luna swallowed a mouthful of pancakes. “No.”

“Oh. My apologies. I believe that one happened in your absence. I only heard rumors about that one. I think that all happened in the time you were on the moon.”

“Don’t remind me.”

Celestia had finished her plate, and was now eyeing Luna’s scone. She levitated it to her mouth and took a bite. Luna gave her a flat look. “Did you want to split, Lulu?”

Luna sighed. “No, Tia. I wanted that for myself. Why didn’t you just ask the cook for another?”

“We’ll have to do that next time,” she said with a wink, and she ate the rest in a matter of seconds.

“Well, I’m glad to see you’re back in better spirits.”

“A good meal sets the mind at ease,” Celestia replied. In truth, she did feel better. Spending time with her sister did more for unburdening her troubles than most anything.

“What do ponies call that now?” Luna tapped her chin. “Is it, ‘eating your feelings’?”

“Lulu, I’ve been eating my feelings for a millennium now.”

“That explains the couple pounds of pudge,” Luna said wryly. “And the suspicious lack of foals around the castle.”

Celestia rolled her eyes. “Speaking of foals, how is your little assistant Loose Leaf doing?”

“Harr harr. He’s doing fine. I would hardly call him a foal, though. I visited Ponyville the other week for the last interview. He’s sent me letters, saying that—”

“—That Ponyville is a little tense?”

“Yes.”

“So what will you have Loose Leaf do? Now that his work is done, and the report complete?”

“I instructed him to stay in Ponyville. Conveniently there was an opening for town clerk.”

Celestia furrowed her brow. “Why keep the colt in Ponyville? I thought you would want him to leave after he kicked the proverbial hornet’s nest.” The two of them got up and walked away from the dining hall as soon as the dishes were cleared.

Luna sighed. “I need somepony in Ponyville to make sure that all the ponies involved are brought to justice in a court of law, and that new laws are made to prevent this from happening.”

“If you were going to bribe a politician, you might have wanted to find somepony a little higher up, and preferably in the legislative branch.”

“Harr, Harr, Celestia. I don’t need to put my hoof on the scale, the evidence is sufficient. I only need someone to make sure that the lily-livered mayor of Ponyville does something for once, and acts on the report. I’m going down to Ponyville as soon as a trial starts. And truth be told, I want Loose Leaf there. I need someone there I can trust.”

“Luna, I didn’t realize you felt so nervous. I can come with you,” Celestia said. She extended a wing, wrapping it around Luna.

“Sister, I’m afraid that this is something that I must do without you. It’s time that I made my authority known, independant of yours. I don’t want to be seen as forever walking in your shadow. I want to know ponies trust and respect me because I’m me, not the sister of Celestia.”

“I see.” Celestia paused. “Did I tell you of Spike’s movement?”

Luna shook her head. “But Loose Leaf has told me much about it. I wonder what will become of it, and if it might play a role in my own plans.”

“Ha, my wayward student in Ponyville, and your young politician in the same area, working on the same civil rights movement.” Celestia looked at her sister, a bemused twinkle in her eye. “Perhaps we should arrange a date.”

Luna rolled her eyes.