• Published 17th Jun 2016
  • 12,193 Views, 408 Comments

The Man With No Country - Tarot Card



Jeremiah Walker, a human in search of redemption and passage back to his own world, finds himself at the center of Spike’s volatile civil rights movement in Ponyville— the town that chased him away with pitchforks and torches a year prior

  • ...
31
 408
 12,193

4: The Crossroads

Through might, magic, and opposable thumbs, Trixie and Walker helped the old stallion get his wagon the last three miles towards the Neighvarro trading post. The stallion hobbled along, his hind leg in a makeshift splint of Walker’s own design. As the creaky cart came to a rest outside the general store, the stallion let out a sigh of relief. “I can’t thank you enough Trixie and your….” He circled his hoof at Walker.

“Minotaur,” Trixie offered helpfully, telekinetically wiping the sweat off her brow with her hat. Before she met Walker she would have resolutely refused such a manually intensive task. But Walker, ever eager to help, roped her into such shenanigans often enough that she didn’t think twice of it, save for some muttering under her breath.

“...Your minotaur friend, Caleb. What a helpful bunch. I swear if you two hadn’t come along and heard me hollering up a storm, that might have been the end of old Stock Shelf here.”

Stock Shelf was happy to throw them a few bits and some extra supplies while they took a moment’s pause. In the shade of late afternoon, they caught their breath against the side of the trading post. Panting, Walker unlaced the leather cuff he kept on his left arm, and traced the marking that covered the length of his wrist to elbow.

“Still there, huh?” Trixie asked, not even looking, as she beat the dust out of her cape.

“Yeah,” Walker replied.


“What, did Luna say it would disappear when you are ‘officially redeemed’?”

“Not really, there’s still a lot she’s researching. I mean, she’s the one that gave it to me, but still she doesn’t understand how it gets me back home.”

“So I take it you’re not going to be raptured away anytime soon.”

“No, not soon.”

Trixie let out a soft chuckle. “Good. I’d hate to be left all alone in this dump.”

“I figured if helping ponies with broken-down wagons was my ticket out of here, I would have noticed some change after the fifth one.”

“Ooh, maybe just a couple more fixed water spigots, or finding more lost foals at amusement parks?”

Walker frowned. “Maybe menial repair work isn’t racking up enough good samaritan points.”

Trixie rubbed her chin in parody of deep thought “Have you considered pro-bono legal work?”

They both laughed.
“Well, I feel like I could do some good if we just were in one place for long enough. You know, to actually see what’s going on.”

“And what, fix friendship problems, Twilight style?”

“What? No. I don’t know. It’s just that whatever we’re doing now, it isn’t getting me any closer to home. I know I have to do something to redeem myself but.. after what I did to my brother, to Pokey, all of this isn’t anywhere close. Even if I could get home, I—”

“Y’all want to stick around and crack open some ice-cold sarsaparillas?” Shelf Stock hollered towards them, poking his head around the side of the building.

Walker demurely took off his hat and had that I-don’t-want-to-be-a-burden-so-I-refuse-hospitality kind of look he got, so Trixie chimed in, “Yes, we’d love some. thank you so much.” She was far too dehydrated to deal with his humility.

After days of living off of stream water, soda was sweet ambrosia to her. She quaffed it all in moments, and let out a small belch.

“Thirsty one, aren’t ya?” Shelf Stock quipped.

“Much appreciated, friend,” Walker said.

“Some of the boys are curious about our new mysterious strangers. Well, between you and me, they wanna see this skinny minotaur fella. We’re having ourselves a bit of a cookout in a couple hours at sunset, care to join in, Trixie, Caleb?”

“Well, we should actually be going—” Walker began.

“Whatever happened to sticking around in one place?” Trixie asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Whatever happened to keeping a low profile?” he returned under his breath. Even though he’d long since fell out of the news cycle, the two of them had habitually avoided larger settlements, drifting from crossroad to crossroad. Though he wouldn’t admit it, Trixie suspected he was wary of large crowds of ponies. Given his experience, she didn’t blame him.

“Well, it’d be trying something new, right? Maybe there’s more to redemption than being a stranger of few words who does roadside repairs.”

He faltered with his words for a moment. “Fine, we’ll give it a shot, but we leave at the first sign of trouble.”

Trixie rolled her eyes.

“Deal?”

“Deal.” She turned to Shelf Stock. “Sure, We’ll stick around.”



The creeping thoughts spoiled Trixie’s mirth, much in the way that vinegar curdles milk. She bit her lip, pantomiming the warm smiles and guffaws of all the ponies around the campfire.

Here he was a stranger in a strange land, a fugitive hated, and reviled by scores of ponies, the scourge of Ponyville, a damned murderer. And he delighted all the ponies with a mundane story of how he and his brothers got scared when they found a bear’s paw print camping. There were no heroics, and no prestidigitation to enhance the story. No real danger in the tale. Still, the performance held the ponies rapt.

Her own story was on the tip of her tongue, a far better bear story. How somepony sent an Ursa Minor after her with the express purpose of humiliating her, and how it marred her career, how she ended up here, huddled around Appleloosan hicks behind a general store. Next to the fugitive human who somehow was more loved than she.

She directed herself to be happy for her friend, who finally let his guard down and began talking to ponies. Frankly, she should be happy for herself too, not having to answer every question on his behalf.

But now, given his own voice, his own story, Trixie’s normally commanding presence was diminished to a whisper. Trixie the Great and Powerful was reduced to half-ignored comments and interjections in a group conversation. It was maddening.

You aren’t worthy of their notice, the creeping thoughts told her. You can’t even compete with the infamous human, even though she decided herself she would never think of attention as a competition again. Look at you, a waste of your parent’s time, of everyone’s time whoever you helped you. You had potential, and you squander it, faffing about the backwaters of Equestria, because you humiliated yourself out of a career. Your only friend is the most unwanted, most hated thing in the land, and look at that! Everypony likes him more than you. You

Trixie excused herself. Nopony seemed to register her withdrawal. A year ago she might have demanded their notice through magicks and theatrics. She almost conjured a cloud of colored smoke right then and there. Trixie restrained herself, seething, wounded.

“You alright miss?” the general store clerk asked as she walked in.

“I need to send a letter. Get Trixie an envelope,” she barked, as though the tone in her voice was answer enough to his question. She tossed two bits onto the counter, part of their earnings from when her and Walker helped repair a bridge a couple towns over.

Leery, the mustachioed clerk fetched her a quill and paper. She drafted her message.

Hi Flannel Fleece,
Hope all is well. Everything is going fantastic here! Going from town to town, always drawing a crowd! Just mastered a new trick where I can make three ponies disappear at once. You wouldn’t believe the ponies I’m meeting either. Looks like all my magic practice paid off in the long run after all! In spite of a certain sister always interrupting, haha.

Don’t know where I’ll be off to next! My manager has a bad habit of booking things moment to moment.

Send my love to mom and dad, and all the others.

I miss you.
Lots of love,
Trixie Lulamoon

On second thought, she buried the last three lines in the broad strokes of a calligraphic signature that took up the last third of the page.

Signed,
The Great and Powerful Trixie

She read it again and felt deflated, suddenly aware of her outburst. Sheepishly she hoofed over the letter, avoiding his gaze.
.
“Miss, is everything alright?”

“Yes… I’m sorry.” With that, she slunk back outside.

She took a deep breath and willed herself back into the present moment. Walker was still telling his story as twilight faded, showing Luna’s speckled skies. The moon was peeking above a distant hill. Glowing fire motes jumped out of the fire and into the clear frontier night. Here she was, surrounded by company, warmth, each pony resting on a barrel or bench behind the one gathering spot in the whole outpost. And it was great to see Walker with the spark of a smile on his lips. It was a sight that was becoming more and more familiar to her, glimpses of a Walker who didn’t always have his guard up, her constant travel companion and friend for the last eight months.

And yet, there it was again, a lingering guilt, a lingering jealousy. She attempted to drive the treacherous caprice out of her mind in a rout, as though it were a beast that could be shooed out of a house. But like a bogart, the more she tried to banish it, the larger it grew.

Why didn’t she tell her sister about Walker and their travels? Why wasn’t she proud of everyone who she and Walker helped? She scolded herself, and then scolded herself for scolding herself.


It seemed that the more Walker came out of his shell, the greater Shelf Stock’s hospitality became. As the moon rose to its zenith, and the ponies shuffled off, Shelf Stock offered them lodging down the dusty trail. He arranged with the owner of the saloon to get two beds fixed up for the weary travelers on his dime. With profuse thanks, Trixie and Walker bid Shelf Stock goodnight and retired to their rooms. Trixie noted that she was never offered lodging unsolicited until she had started tagging along with Walker.

The washroom was little more than a bar of soap, pitcher, water pump and basin. Walker washed up first, then Trixie, both surprised to remember what each other looked like without a layer of dust and grime. Had she really fallen so far from grace?

They climbed into separate beds on either side of the room and Walker blew out the gas lantern on the nightstand, once again leaving Trixie alone with her thoughts. She wrapped the covers around herself and her dour mood half-dissolved amongst the sheer creature comfort of it. It occurred to her that this was the first time they’d slept indoors in at least a month. She glanced over to Walker as his legs dangled over the end of the bedframe, ill-suited for his taller, lanky body. Trixie always found it funny how he’d start the night with feet over the edge of the bed, only for him to give up fifteen minutes in and sleep curled.

“Someone’s popular with the frontier ponies,” Trixie offered cautiously.

If there was bitterness in her voice, Walker did not notice. “That was nice actually. I felt like I could talk to someone for the first time in a while. I mean aside from you obviously. It’s been so long since I just sat down and had a conversation, without trying to tell a lie, or hide something.”

“You still like talking to me though, right?” Trixie asked.

“Without a doubt. Like it or not, you’re my number one confidante.”

“And you would still travel with me, even if you didn’t need me to talk to ponies, right?”

“I think we have too much blackmail material on each other to part ways at this point,” he said with a grin.

Trixie ignored the cheeky remark.

Walker had told her the whole story in bits in pieces, and she told him hers.

She was cursed with potential, her parents nurtured and fed what they saw as a way to restore their family name to former glory: Lulamoon the sorcerers. Their fall from grace and time spent wallowing among common folk would end with this generation, as Bellatrix Lulamoon would achieve greatness, and restore prestige. the attention and training had given her finesses, ability, and an ego that was large and brittle. When she left home, she made little friends and many enemies.

She knew he had slain his own brother, and in some cosmic twist of fate, ended up lost in the Everfree forest that same night, and like her, ended up shunned and rejected by the lot of Ponyville. But where Trixie would have left, Walker’s guilt drove him to stay in a town that loathed him. He suffered abuse after abuse, and deep down, he knew he deserved it. The hysteria culminated in a bloody riot, leaving ponies dead and the town in shambles. It was in the long aftermath of his escape when they found one another and began their travels.

She could not imagine what compelled someone to such levels of self-inflicted suffering. Then, she chuckled. In her adult life, she rarely traveled with anypony for long. It was easy to dismiss all the failed assistants and co-stars as petty and ill-suited for life on the road, ill-suited for the life of a magician. But deep down, she knew she was abrasive.

“Walker, you’re a glutton for punishment, you know that?”

In the darkness, he thought on this for a couple of silent moments. “I do.”

“First off, you put up with my shit.” She left the more unpleasant example unmentioned.

He laughed. “I don’t. believe it or not, I try pretty hard to keep you in check.”

“But that’s what I mean. Every time I find myself slipping back into… well, I guess I’d call her ‘Stage Trixie’, you know, insufferable, vain, needing attention, you’re there to snap me back. As much as I’d hate to admit it, I’m a better pony around you. You keep me helping others, and giving to the world. You keep me humble.”

“And you keep me, well… safe, I guess.”

Trixie pondered this. “Safe from ponies?”

“Yes, well not quite. You help me feel safe. You help me walk around this world without fear. I’m… starting to feel like I can be around ponies again. And when I’m in danger of giving up, you’re always there to throw me a rope. I know I’ve done a lot of wrong, and I know what we’re doing right now isn’t working but with you around, I have the strength to try something new.

Trixie felt the faintest smile growing on her. “You mean that?”

“Of course. I don’t know where I’d be without you guiding the way. ”

“You big sap.”

“Fine, I’ll keep my sincerity to myself.”

This was the end of the conversation as Walker drifted off. However, the words kept on bouncing around Trixie’s head. Two roaming souls, hoping their travels take them back onto the right path, whatever that may be. In all her time, she sought admiration for her skill and finesse. It was a new sensation to be needed.

When morning came, they went to the main area of the lodge to gather their breakfast. Something was wrong. The few scattered patrons kept their eyes locked on Walker, whose good cheer withered under their gaze.

“What are you looking at, slackjaw?” Trixie said, snapping at a stallion by the entrance. seeing a newspaper underneath his hooves, she telekinetically yanked it away and read the headlines. Front and center, a surprisingly accurate woodblock print of Walker was on the front page, showing a sulky, sullen man, furtively glancing over his shoulder. The resemblance was unmistakable by proportion and by face. she read the title with a sinking feeling in her stomach.

Ponyville Reports on the Fugitive Human Jeremiah Walker.

She met the stares of everypony in the quiet frontier inn. All stayed in tense stillness. Only the sound of the breeze was audible. Something told Trixie the “skinny minotaur” bit wasn’t going to play anymore.

Author's Note:

Chapter Song:
Live Again (Trixie's Ballad) - Metajoker

(Edited by me, criticize the grammar as appropriate)