• Published 11th Aug 2016
  • 16,625 Views, 263 Comments

Sunshipped - Masterweaver

  • ...
38
 263
 16,625

"I don't see why you're making such a big issue out of this."

"I--A big issue?! Look, Sunburst, if were any other stallion I'd be totally fine with you being gay. But you've got to remember that I am you!"

"Was."

"What?"

"Was. Past tense." Sunburst gestured between them. "You were me, up until you were created, at which point--"

"Yes, I suffered a nervous breakdown, then I tried to define myself in increasingly competitive ways and then I spent a few years in another world before finally--" Sunset took a breath. "Look, the point is, even though we're different we're also a lot alike, right? We share, like, two thirds of our memories. Or maybe half. I can calculate the exact ratio later. What I'm saying is, remember Sassy?"

Sunburst adjusted his glasses. "Sassy Saddles? The blue unicorn?"

"We had such a crush on her. Like, I'm not saying what we did was right, but we were all but perving out on her in private--"

"I actually ran into her during a recent trip to Canterlot. She's a Swap."

It took Sunset a few moments to recollect the exact slang he was referencing. "She's... transtribal?"

"No, she was born a stallion and... well."

"...Huh." The mare blinked, tilting her head. "...Well, she pulls it off well, then."

"That's, um. Kind of what made me consider--"

"WHOA okay no, if you're saying what I THINK you're saying--" Sunset held up a hoof. "Let's just say that gender issues are a huge, major big hot-button topic on the other side of the mirror. Sassy Saddles is a mare, whatever she was before, and we reacted to her like a mare, so we shouldn't be attracted to stallions just because she was--she's not even the only mare we crushed on! This is entirely irrelevant!"

"Actually, it kind of is." Sunburst cleared his throat. "I mean, I can see where you're coming from, but before I had that talk with Sassy, I was kind of... off the market for a while. I didn't really look at mares like I used to, you know?"

"You mean because you're a social recluse?"

"Even social recluses usually have..." Sunburst blushed. "You know. Eyes. And.... pictures. I didn't."

"You used to. We used to." Sunset rolled her eyes. "Even if it was just fashion magazines instead of any real porn. Which actually explains why we had trouble talking to mares for the longest time."

"Yeah, well, after you... moved in with me, it got... weird, to have those around. Especially with... you know. You. Me. It was super weird."

Sunset threw up her hooves. "So I've ruined mares for you, is that what you're saying?"

Sunburst opened his mouth, paused, frowned, and eventually gave an awkward hum. "Well, I mean, I might try to put it in less, um, hurtful terms, but essentially--"

"Alright! Alright. Fine. I guess I can see that happening." Sunset paced back and forth for a moment or two. "Okay, I think I've been going about this the wrong way. I've been focusing on sexual attraction, instead of romantic attraction--"

"Me and Thorax have not engaged in physical action."

"Oh COME ON!" Sunset cried. "He's a freakin' shapeshifter! Do you know how much you could do with that?!"

"Do you?"

"For a species with no natural magic, humans are surprisingly creative."

Sunburst blinked. "Wow. I meant that as a rhetorical retort, but you just kicked that right out there."

"Shame slows you down," Sunset quipped. "One of the things you pick up quick when you're being a tyrannical wannabe."

"...Fair enough, I suppose... Still, I just wanted to clarify that I have a romantic relationship with Thorax, not a sexual one."

"See, that's... actually..." Sunset frowned. "Okay, I can't argue with you being bisexually romantic... biromantic? I mean, I did date Flash, even if that was part of my world domination plan, and I do have... some minor attraction to the girls..."

"By which you mean the apes from another reality."

"Hey, in that other reality I'm also an ape!"

Sunburst gave her a flat look. "Because changing species will automatically make you attracted to members of that species."

"Not how it--look, shame slows you down, I was weirded out at first yeah, but I've been there for years, I can get used to--don't make this about me! This is about you!"

"No, this is about you having some freak-out over me dating a changeling!"

"Wait." Sunset frowned. "Wait wait wait. Hold on, have you been getting guff over that?"

"Yes!" Sunburst cried, as though it were obvious. "I needed to convince the guard, repeatedly, that I had not been brainwashed!"

"Oh. Wow, okay, see, that was an angle I didn't even consider."

"Didn't--you're the one that dragged me here to ask why I was dating Thorax!"

"Yes, but I was weirded out cause he's a guy, not cause he's a changeling!"

"And that makes any sort of difference?!"

Sunset opened her mouth, paused, and sighed. "You know what, you're right. I'm sorry, I should not have reacted the way I did. Even with our... connection, we've been apart for years, and... I can't judge you for your life."

Sunburst blinked. "...You know, I think that's the first time you've ever apologized to me."

"Heh. Yeah, I was a bitch back in the day, wasn't I?"

"Um. Well." Sunburst adjusted his glasses. "Well... Ahem. Still, it's good to see you, I suppose. You're doing well, I hope?"

"Oh, very well. I--oh, crap." Sunset facehooved.

"What?"

"I may have subtly tried to get Starlight crushing on you again. Also, ow, I forgot how much this hurt with hooves." Sunset gave him a far-too-wide grin and backed off. "I'm going to get some headache medicine, and then I'm going to fix this."