• Published 20th Jun 2012
  • 1,998 Views, 107 Comments

Statues - TypewriterError



When is being brave...being yourself?

  • ...
2
 107
 1,998

Epilogue

The new statue, representing Bravery, was put out in the Statue Garden the morning of Nightmare Night. It was beautiful in its execution. The majestic marble stance of the female pony, her shield proudly on her back and her right hoof on the hilt of a tall claymore, was awe-inspiring. She looked down towards the ground grimly, as if certain of her task ahead and determined to follow it. True bravery. Not letting uncertainty or fear stop you.


How many time have you done this? Majesty had asked Celestia.

Dozens of times now... she had said, approaching the mare who posed on a pedestal. The stars and moon her only witnesses.

Is it getting easier for you? to do this? Celestia had hesitated. Finally, she had looked up to meet her grim gaze.

It was...

'Was?' Majesty asked. Celestia gave a deep sigh and examined the pedestal.

Yes...I hope it never will again... Majesty? she said, looking up, her voice shaking.

Yes? Majesty asked, swallowing hard. Celestia stopped again for awhile. Opening her mouth to speak but closing it almost every time. Majesty knew she wanted to say something. Perhaps an apology? A word of encouragement? An explanation? Celestia sighed.

Thank you...for coming back... she said and touched her horn to the center of Astrophel’s shield. Celestia's eyes clenched as if she felt the pain which was only conveyed by Majesty's silent screaming in her head.


A couple, one of many, walked by the statue. But, the mare, her tan belly beginning to grow with her second foal, stopped and looked up at the statue’s mane, which resembled a lion’s. Her dark brown eyes stared at the face looking down towards her. Her husband doubled back and looked up.

“It...it can’t be...” the mare said. The stallion was silent. They knew... it was.

Majesty was surprised by the silence of the other statues. She waited for the barrage of insults and screams that she had heard before. Nopony had said anything to her yet. She wondered if they knew...and if they were watching her.

These are my parents. she ventured. Silence lasted until long after the couple walked away. Finally another voice spoke.

Why? Why would you choose to leave them?

Because I believed it was right. she answered.

But...they'll forget you. They'll die and you'll never see them again.

They won't forget me.

They'll still die without you.

I know. I chose to make that sacrifice.

None of us did! one shouted and a few others made noises of agreement.

I know... and Celestia knows it too. I don't know if I'll ever understand why she kept doing it when none of you were willing to fight. All I know is that...we're the last hope Equestria will have in the future.

What if there is never an attack?

Do you really think Equestria is going to last forever? Silence was the only answer. Even if I am never needed before Equestria ends I will know I was at least ready to fight.

But your family? Didn't you think of them?

Of course I did. Didn't you? If I could be off this pedestal and with my parents I would be. Except...I want to make sure that other ponies can have what I no longer can.

So, you want to be a hero? a different voice jeered.

I just want to be myself... Majesty said softly.

No, you just want to no longer have to choose what you want to do with your life. You want to be lazy and just mindlessly follow orders instead of thinking for yourself—

Would anything you say change the fact I am here now? Even if it was true? True, I still haven't worked out exactly why I chose to be here but I can choose to stay and wait to defend the world I love, or stay and feel sorry for myself for who knows how long! her outburst provoked an onslaught of angry retorts.

Finally she spoke up again when the voices were not all shouting at the same time, Look, I can talk to you all I want, and try to defend why I am here, and debate on what is right and wrong about this situation, but honestly... in the end, if Equestria does come to war and we are released to fight for it. Would you really not defend it simply because you've not forgiven Celestia?

The minds of the statues were silent. Sounds murmured in the crisp air from fillies and colts who played and gathered candy in the Statue Garden.

Dedicated to both of my parents and my family who have always encouraged me to pursue my dreams even if they didn't always understand them. Also to those who have sacrificed to serve in the military past, present, and who will sacrifice in the future. Thank you.

Comments ( 36 )

Bravery. So fitting, in so many ways. Makes sense, given how all the statues represent some kind of virtue.

Another wonderful story. Carry on, TypewriterError! :pinkiehappy:

That was well done. I am pleased. I look forward to more from you :twilightsmile:

Semper Fi. Just.... I was at Arlintion national semitery on memorial day.... It's a realy moving thing to see all those white crosses, and waving flags. The feeling is absolutely undefinable. To know that a human being gave everything to defend the freedoms that he or she will NEVER be able to experionts again. Yet some people say ' their just lazy murders that do nothing but take orders' if that's the case. Then I'm am one lazy ass Young Marine. But it's not the case. It takes real bravery to join the armed forces. This story made my heart beat emotionally for the first time in a bucking year.:pinkiesad2: And for that. I solute your Capitalist flank.

853728 Unfortunately Twilight's mom is modeled after the original Twilight in gen 1 and is mostly white and purple. Majesty's mother is tan. :applejackunsure: But thank you though :)

853717 Thanks! :pinkiesmile:

854489 If there is one thing I know about Marines: lazy is the LAST word to describe them. Thank you for being willing to give yourself up to keep us safe. Happy Independence day :rainbowdetermined2: I'm honored that you enjoyed this story.
And I'm just going to let that flank comment slide... :ajbemused:

I see what you did there. :ajsmug:

Nicely done Miss Error. ^w^ While the main story ended at a rather sudden place, the epilogue manages to make it work by taking the time to address the recurring themes. I loved the twist at the end, for some reason you're the first person to make Tyrant Celestia seem plausible, canon, compelling, and sympathetic. She's not an overbearing tyrant because she WANTS to be, but because her duty to Equestria is too great. In the end she's a lonely, frightened filly who's lost her brother, her sister, and doesn't want to loose Equestria, too. That's why Majesty meant so much to her, because having a pony in the garden she could talk to, to enjoy the company of. In a sea of venom one oasis of honey.

And, the idea that the statue of Bravery was the only one to agree to be placed in the garden is very fitting. XP All in all, I liked this fic. You are a talented writer who, while perhaps getting occasionally caught up with syntax and formatting, clearly knows how to tell a strong story, and I'm very proud of you for it. :pinkiesmile:

:scootangel:
So............good...*cries tears of joy*

855321 Thank you :pinkiesmile: I figured the story couldn't just be about ponies being turned into statues so I really tried to make the characters the focus of the story. I'm glad that they seemed justified in their motivations.

855401 hooferchief? *hands one*

855175 :rainbowlaugh: sorry. Your the fourth person to think that I'm in the USMC. No, I still have four years to be a civillon. I'm part of a militery program called ' The Young Marines' They teach you how to handle everything from boot camp. To seeing your buddy's get killed. I can't tell you what branch I'll chose. ( it starts with Force, and ends with Recon.) It's a funny thing, becaus that's how I found MLP. And yes if push came to shove I would jump on a grinade for you guys. Your a great writer and honored to have made your aquatints.

855519 oh great now I feel stupid. lol. oops. I have friends and relatives in the military but I'm not familiar with every aspect of it. Anyway, best of luck to you whichever branch you choose :pinkiesmile:

855490 That's why I like you, because you know that the focus of a good story is the characters; their motivations, their fears, their desires, their triumphs, their failures, their nuances, their subtleties, their histories, their futures, their choices. It's what they do with a situation that makes them interesting, what they go through and how they handle it, rather than the situation itself. The choice isn't what's interesting here, it's the character making the choice, who they are and what motivates them to make the choices they make, and the character presenting this choice that are the interesting part of the story. You get a bead on that early on and keep the focus there all the way to the end.

855615 Thank you. :pinkiesmile: I think hanging around with actors helps with that, lol.

855635 Being an amateur actor I can tell you they're right. :ajsmug: Lol, you're more than welcome. Like I said, you're clearly and artist at work, and I appreciate the ability to encourage an artist.

855490 Thank you.*dabs eyes* I love your stories. :derpytongue2:

I loved this story Type. It did not entirely play as I predicted, but I liked how you ended it. I have given you much praise but I don't believe I have given you all that you deserve.

You are one of the few authors that understands what a story is supposed to be about. You make the characters dictate the story not the other way around. You make them go through the hard times that defines who they truly are. You make your stories how life almost always plays out. There are many bad situations that you wish would just go away, that seem to made up for or even forgotten because of the good that comes in our life. I don't know what your previous writing life has been, but you have done marvelously well.

858777 Well thank you, again, for your praise. :pinkiesmile: Many teacher have invested their time into me and I have them to thank for helping me grow to the level I am at today. Also the constructive criticism and encouragement I have received here have been priceless.

Just curious, what direction did you think I would go in?

858797 Well my believe was that she would have decided to become a statue to protect Equestria in the future because of Discord. (Though now it seems that is not the case.) I imagined that she would say she wanted to join the statues and when Celestia started the spell her life with her family would flash before her eyes. After her flashbacks she would tell the princess she didn't want to do it and wanted to live her life with her family. The princess would say she understood but she had to do it. For the sake of Equestria. Then I actually did predict an epilogue. Though in mine her parents were much older. They were walking in the garden one night looking among the statues. She would see them standing right in front of her. They were holding each other crying. Her mother would say something about how she still misses her, and her father would try and comfort her saying he did too. The entire time majesty was screaming at them that she was right in front of them. A single tear would fall unnoticed from the statue.

858932 Hmmm... Yeah I remember what you said about Discord... but there is one word used by Celestia in this story that is hinting at a future project and what the statues are there to defend against. :raritywink:
I did consider keeping her parents the same age and having them see her again but I figured that Celestia would try to do something at least to make the loss of Majesty easier. Part of what is so miserable for the statues though is that they can't cry. They can only mentally call the next one.
I also did consider what you said about her deciding to stay with her family and Celestia having to force her to become a statue anyway but I think having her know the full weight of her choice and still deciding to do it would show that she does actually represent bravery well. You were definitely very close though with some of that :pinkiesmile:

858988 Oh I agree with you completely. I loved how you played it out. It makes more sense and feels more realistic. :twilightsmile:

859051 Well, thank you :pinkiesmile: I hope to do as well in the future and better.

859058 There is no need to hope! I know you will! :raritywink:

961140
This fic left me speechless......amazing

as soon as i finished reading this i instantly pictured myself in the same situation.........saying yes........and all i could do was replay it in my head........also meeting majesty song and being turned to stone with a smile upon my face, knowing i was doing this for my loved ones.........one part i find ironic is that i had pictured myself a massive earth pony in extremely intimidating armor being the representation of gentleness........heh ironic

:fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry:so sad

1015983 I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Lyra2.png

hmm... what colors would that earth pony be? lol I actually kinda like that idea. I might steal it later dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/lolface_Celestia.png

1019056
hmm that would be an interesting story to say the least.......coat would be a gray w/blue tint and his hair would be purple with dark green ends...
and i would definitely read it considering i inspired the idea......heh what an honor:twilightblush::moustache::twilightblush::moustache:
:trollestia:

1019413 Yeah, not sure when or if but I'll keep him in mind. lol

After your latest blog, I was looking through your stories and saw a onechot that you said went with this story and then I was thinking to myself whatever happened to that story? I remembered reading the first chapter and really liking it and it never updated. Well, I found it while looking through your stories and saw that it was completed. My jaw smacked my desk when I realized why I never saw it updated....I forgot to hit that star at the top to follow it *face palm* SO! I got right on it and read the whole thing today!

This was a very touching story and a great enjoy to read. From early one, I figured that she was going to become a statue in the garden, but man was I completely off on how it was going to happen. I was expecting a sort of horror twist on the whole thing with a crazy demented Celestia behind it all. As it turns out (the way I saw it anyways) it was more of a broken and frightened Celestia looking out for her subjects and her country with a ends justify the means/ for the greater good outlook.

When Celestia said that they had not all agreed to becoming a statue at the end of chapter 6 that sent chills down my spine, let me tell you. I instantly got the idea that she has offered the "choice" before hopping that they would come willingly, but never intending them to leave. It out right creeped me out.

Reading some of the comments and your author note at the end of this last chapter got me thinking about the other statues in the garden. Celestia said that they didn't agree with becoming a statue and to become part of her army to fight off this threat that she was gathering them for. This got me thinking about the darker side of the military, mainly the past when the draft was used and many people were forced with going to war. Then reading what Majesty told the other statues and the question she asked them about fighting for Equestria got me thinking some more about the whole theme of this fic and Celestia herself in this story. I'm not sure where I'm going with this point. This ending chapter has mostly served for some good food for thought about the military, the people that choose to join vs. the people that were forced to join in the past (and maybe even now with family pressure, almost like what Majesty went though with her family), and the reason they choose to go in and whether the people of any country would pick up arms and fight for their country if something of Apocalyptic scale would happen (just as these warriors in cased in stone are there for). The more I think about it and write this comment the more I'm really liking this fic. You have done a wonderful job here. It's rare that a story of any kind makes me think so much (probably all mostly just over thinking ^_^;; ).

~Have a good one!

1082715 lol, nope, you're not over-thinking. I'm glad you enjoyed this fic. Honestly, of everything I've written this is my favorite story.

Yeah, you got everything I wanted the reader to get, though. I wanted the reader to have a reason to feel sorry for Celestia even if what she was doing was unethical. I also wanted a dedication to those who served in the military and a picture of real people my age (late college aged) that would be general enough to apply to people in real life.

Anyway, glad it made an impact :pinkiesmile:

A beautiful story. I sat here and read it all in one sitting and the sacrifice was not downplayed at all.

1101460 I'm glad you enjoyed it :pinkiesmile:

Wow. That was a wonderful story:pinkiesad2:

1671107 Thank you for reading it :pinkiesmile:

By Celestia! Why the heck did I wait so long to read this story? Very well done, Type. I wish I could say more, but I run the risk of rambling on like a madman.

2418238 Thank you :twilightsmile: I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Oh God.... dem FEELS. My eyes leaked salty water...:raritydespair:

Login or register to comment