• Published 27th May 2016
  • 1,430 Views, 87 Comments

The Rhythm of Love - lockheed



A music store owner must figure out how to navigate the trials of love

  • ...
4
 87
 1,430

27: Let it Snow

Gypsy and I walked slowly through the market, eyeing all the things the local vendors had for sale that day. Most of it was items for last minute Hearth's Warming gifts or special items for the Lunar Solstice Celebration but there were a couple things that caught our attention. Gypsy found an old mandolin in good shape that only cost her twelve bits while I’d managed to find a nice piece of purple silk, which was a rarity to find with Rarity buying all the silk she could get her hooves on. As we slowly made our way through the market, I felt as though I was being watched. “Gypsy, this might sound crazy, but—“

“Does it feel like somepony is watching us?” she finished as she casually looked at a book in the booth we were by. “Usually if it does, there is. Don’t look around and try to find them. They’ll know you’re onto them.” The tan pegasus looked at me with a small smile. “Just act natural. Trust me, I learned really quick to have eyes in the back of my head in high school. It might be tame here but Applewood is bucking nuts.” We moved on to the next stand and were looking at the items there when I felt a hoof on my shoulder.

“Hey there. Fancy running into you here.” Test Tube’s voice said behind me, making me tense up and glance over at Gypsy who I was looking back at me. I continued to ignore him, instead trying to continue on with my browsing. “It’s rude of you to ignore ponies trying to talk to you, ya know?” he sneered as he grabbed my shoulder again to turn me to look at him but suddenly his hoof was knocked away from me as Gypsy stepped in between us.

“Back off. Now.” She growled as she glared at Test, the shorter stallion having to look up at her. When he refused to back away, she instead closed the distance between them as she lowered her head to be eye level with him, her nose only an inch away from his. “Listen here you little pint sized cocksucker. I know who you are and what you’ve done to Swing in the past and so help me, if you ever come near him again, let alone lay a hoof on him, I will skin you alive and make you into a new leather jacket. Am I clear?” Test looked genuinely afraid for a split second before scowling again as he backed away silently. While I figured he was only stopping for now, the fact that he was gone relaxed me a little bit. “Goddesses, I hate that prick.” Gypsy grumbled as we moved on to the next booth.

“You didn’t have to do that, Gypsy,” I told her with a slight frown as we continued browsing.

“Well forgive me for saying so, but it sure didn’t look like you were going to do anything about him,” she replied calmly as she began to move on. “Now come on, I saw some Lily of the Valley at the edge of town and I want to pick some.”


I sat on the couch with my forelegs crossed as I pouted. From the kitchen, Fang laughed as he looked into the living room. “Don’t pout hun, you look cute!” He snickered again as Gypsy continued making a crown on my head from the flowers she’d picked earlier in the day. I figured that Gypsy was a hippie just by her name but the more I was around her, especially when she was picking the flowers, I saw she was a total damn flowerchild. Who the fuck asks permission from a plant beforehoof if they can pick its flowers? At least she was better than that one friend of Fluttershy’s that was wondering around town for a few days. She just reeked of body odor and pot. “So, what do we want for dinner?” Fang asked us from the kitchen and we were just about to answer when the phone in the kitchen rang. We sat and listened as Fang answered it and hung up a minute later. “Apparently they want you at the castle, hun. Something about the music for the ball. They want your input.” I groaned but got up off the couch, with Gypsy taking the flower crown off me.

“Alright, I’ll be back in a bit. Hopefully it shouldn’t take too long,” I said with a sigh as I headed out into the cold to go to Twilight’s castle.


Fang and Gypsy sat together in the living room, having finished dinner. They were watching the big black and white TV that we’d bought a few weeks before to have installed in the apartment. “So how was your trip to the market? I bet it was nice having some time with just your brother,” he said with a smile as he looked over at her.

“It was pretty good,” she nodded with a smile but frowned a bit a moment later. “Except for one rude stallion we ran into.” Though she seemed to realize that maybe she shouldn’t have said that as Fang’s ears perked up and his pupils narrowed a bit.

“Oh? Who was it?” He asked as he continued to half stare her down, making her shift uncomfortably in her seat.

“I really don’t feel I should be telling you this, Fang,” Gypsy replied as she lowered her head, half cowering under his glare.

“Gypsy, I’m only trying to protect my coltfriend and your brother.” Fang told her as his gaze softened slightly, showing his genuine concern. “Who was it?”

“It was…” she took a deep breath to calm herself; “it was one of his exes. Test Tube.” Fang’s pupils shrank to narrow slits as his glare hardened again.

“What?” He practically growled at the terrified mare.

“I’m not telling you anything more until you calm down, Fang.” Gypsy said as she took another deep breath to calm down. “I already threatened Test and told him to leave Swing alone.”

“Well so help me, if he lays a hoof on Swing, he better hope you get ahold of him first because I’ll make whatever torment you put him through look like foal’s play.” He mumbled as he attempted to return his attention to the TV.


I trotted slowly through the streets of Ponyville, the darkened roads were deserted and behind me a chill ran up my neck. Up ahead I could see a bar, though I found it odd that the bar was there as it had burned down and the remains demolished when I was a colt. Opening the door, I saw it was empty, even the shelves behind the bar were empty of any bottles. Slowly I made my way over to the bar and sighed as I sat down, putting my hooves up to my face and sighing. As I let them drop, I smiled. “Hi Swing.” Looking to my left I looked at the empty tables and booths before looking back ahead of me. “A little slow tonight, isn't it?” I said with a laugh as another one of me looked back with a blank expression. He was in a red mess jacket and black bowtie like before.

“Yes, it is,” he replied as he smiled slightly at me. “What’ll it be?”

“Hair of the dog that bit me,” I replied with a smile as I lightly smacked the bar with my hoof.

“Bourbon on the rocks,” the other me replied as he began making my drink, the shelves behind him suddenly filled with bottles.

“So, what’s going on now that I’ve found you again?” I asked him as I leaned against the bar, clearly curious as to why the other me was back in my dream again.

“I have a warning for you,” he replied as he slid the glass in front of me and took a step back. “You are in danger. Test is going to try and get you back and if he can’t have you, then he will make sure that nopony will.” He told me, his face blank as that of a statue. “Drink up, Swing. It’s on the house,” the stallion said as he motioned to the glass in front of me. I eyed him for a moment before downing the drink in one swift motion. Setting the glass down, I stood up and looked around the empty bar once more before slowly making my way to the door. As I walked to the exit I began to quietly sing and sway to the song that I’d heard in my past dream in the palace ballroom.


I awoke and felt a chill overtake me despite my fur having grown thicker weeks before. The room was barely illuminated and I looked up to look out the window. Outside was just white and a dull glow from the rising sun. I had thankfully gotten home before the snow started and now it looked like it was going to be a calm day inside for us. Reaching over to turn on the lamp on my nightstand, I found the bulb refused to turn on no matter how many times I twisted the switch. “Fuck...” I muttered, my motion in bed having stirred Fang from his slumber.

“What’s wrong?” he asked groggily as he slowly lifted his sleeping mask to look at me with one eye.

“Power’s out. This blizzard must’ve gotten too out of hoof for the weather team because they never said anything about chance of power outages,” I replied as I flopped back down in bed, shivering slightly as I covered back up. Fang lowered his mask again and wrapped his forelegs and wing around me. Thankfully Fang’s winter coat made him like a blast furnace and his wing only served to trap that warmth in, making me feel like I was in heaven in his embrace. Rolling over so that I was nose to nose with him, I gently kissed his nose before nuzzling into his chest. One thing that I found out very quickly after we’d started dating was that some bat pony stallions get very musky smelling if they sweat even a little bit. And as I nuzzled into him I could smell his musk from sweating while he slept. And while it normally would’ve been a major turn on for me, at that moment it served more as a comfort thing, with me just feeling safe and secure in his embrace after the dream I’d had. There was no way I could tell Fang about it. I already had my suspicions that Gypsy had mentioned something to him based on his attitude after I’d gotten back home. Across the hallway I could hear Gypsy leaving her room to try and start her day but a minute later I could hear her cursing in the kitchen. After a few moments she popped her head into the room.

“Power is out,” she told us to which I simply looked up over Fang and nodded at her.

“I’m sure Luna will be over soon. She can use her magic to cook us something,” I mumbled before disappearing back under the covers and nuzzling Fang’s chest again. Though that time his scent did manage to get me feeling a little frisky. Leaning up to kiss his nose, I began to kiss down his neck and chest, getting a happy groan from the sleepy bat pony. And just as I was about to get to my prize, I heard a pop like a teleportation spell.

“Rise and shine!” Luna’s voice called out making me groan as I flung the blanket up, Fang quickly grabbing it to cover up himself up as he’d gotten rather ‘excited’ while I was kissing all over him.

“Good morning to you too, Princess Cockblock…”


I rummaged through my closet as I looked for something to wear that would be warm enough for a walk to the castle. While the blizzard had calmed down a bit, the snow and wind were still brutal even with my winter coat. Then I spotted it, my old Royal Guard greatcoat. The thick wool coat was a midnight blue with a silver trim along the collar and down the front. The silver buttons, though really they were nickel, shined in the light from the window as I pulled it out from the closet. Slipping it on, I felt like I’d gained twenty pounds from the coat but the wool was thick and kept me warm which is all that mattered. Putting on my fur lined forge cap, I waddled to the living room in my huge coat and looked at the other three ponies in the room. Fang was in his greatcoat like mine while Gypsy was in a thick denim coat. Luna was dressed simply in a silver scarf with a blue and black stocking cap. “Well, let’s get going,” I said before we all headed out into the cold. As we shuffled through the snow, I felt as though there was somepony following us but shrugged it off after we’d gotten to the Friendship Castle. Removing my heavy coat I gladly embraced the warmth that the castle had in it, no doubt coming from the countless fireplaces scattered throughout it. And while it was nice being in someplace warmer than the apartment, I grumbled under my breath that it had to be for something as boring as planning the Lunar Solstice Ball.


Fang and I snuggled up together on the couch that sat in one of the many guest rooms of the castle. With the power still out in a few homes across town, Princess Twilight had generously welcomed those without heat into her home for the night. This of course included a large meal for all of us of which Fang and I slightly overindulged. “Ugh, I feel so fat right now,” Fang muttered as I rested my head on his stomach, the fire crackling in the background.

“That’s okay, I love me a little pudge,” I replied with a smirk as I looked up at him. My comment made him blush as he giggled.

“I swear, you’re just a chubby chaser, aren’t you?” the lavender stallion replied as he stuck his tongue out at me, making me reach up and poke his tongue with my hoof. He quickly recoiled slightly in surprise, his tongue still sticking out of his mouth as he looked down at me.

“Don’t act like you don’t love it,” I replied with a smirk just before a knocking at the door got our attention. A moment later the head of a familiar gryphoness poked into the room as she opened up the door.

“Oh dear,” Elizabeth said with a small laugh “I do hope I’m not interrupting something.” We quickly got up and began to gallop over to give her a hug.

“It’s so good to see you!” I said as we wrapped our hooves around her. Movement behind her made me look up to see a younger, grey gryphon standing behind her. “And you brought along Bertie!” The young gryphon smiled at me happily as I acknowledged him. “And how are you?”

“I-I’m fine…sir,” he replied, still smiling despite his stutter.

“Good, good. Now, both of you come on in. No sense in standing here with the door wide open.” I told them with a small laugh as I shut the door behind them. “Make yourselves at home. So, what brings you to Ponyville?”

“Oh, we’re in town for the Lunar Solstice Ball,” Elizabeth replied as she set her bags down. “We were supposed to be here this morning but the blizzard diverted the airship to Canterlot and then we had to wait for them to clear the tracks so we could take the train here. It’s been an adventure I tell you.” The silver gryphoness explained with a laugh. “So how’ve you two been? Anything new?”

“Swing’s ex is back,” Fang deadpanned with an annoyed face as I turned to face him.

“How’d you know about that?” I questioned nervously.

“I pressured it out of your sister,” he answered calmly as he looked over at me.

“Wait, you have a sister?!” the gryphoness asked as she looked at me in shock.

“Long story, tell you later,” I said as I glanced over at her before looking back to Fang. “And like I told Gypsy, I can handle it on my own.”

“Well from what I’ve heard, you can’t, Swing. I’m sorry, but you can’t.” He half shouted as he fully turned to face me. My breath was coming out ragged now as my face turned bright red.

“Don’t you dare-“ I started to shout before my breath seemed to catch in my throat and I could barely wheeze in response. Reaching up towards my throat I felt as though I suddenly had an elephant sitting on my chest, making me sit down as I tried to catch my breath.

“Get a doctor!” Fang told Elizabeth as he rushed over to me. “Swing, listen to me, We’re going to get a doctor here right away, okay? Just try to relax,” he said as calmly as he could. Which was easy for him to say, he wasn’t the one who felt like he was about to pass out because he couldn’t breathe.


“Any history of this in the past?” the stallion asked as I laid in the bed of the guest room, my chest still feeling a bit tight.

“It happened a few times as a colt. Not very often but it did happen. I usually had to spend a few days in bed afterwards.” He nodded as he wrote on his clipboard.

“Well I can tell you with certainty that it’s asthma. I’m going to recommend you some brands that are good for relaxing the airways. You can smoke Clydesfield, Lucky Lights, Cool, and Pinto Morris,” the tan colored stallion said as he placed his clipboard back in his bag.

“Wait, you want him to smoke cigarettes for his asthma?” Elizabeth asked as she raised an eyebrow at him.

“Yes, Your Majesty. At least four a day. If this happens again you may want to try more, Your Royal Highness,” he stated as he turned his attention back to me. I nodded as he picked up his bag and left the room.

“Well, who wants to go buy me some?” I asked as I looked around at them.

“You’re not going to start smoking those. If you smoke, you’re going to smoke herbal ones,” Fang said as he looked at me. “At least those have red clover leaves in them. That’s what we used to use in my village to treat asthma,” he told me as he looked down at me. “Now, let’s all get some sleep. I think we’ve all had a long enough day.”


“So Bertie, what’ve you been up to?” I asked the silver gryphon as we strolled through the streets of Ponyville.

“Mother has been…s-sending me to different s-speech ther…therapists for my stutter,” he replied, obviously getting aggravated with himself over his stammering.

“Well, I don’t know how much I can help you but I can try while you’re here,” I said with a reassuring smile. Bertie smiled up at me as we walked past the market which wasn’t even a quarter of its normal size. “I know for one of my friends back in school who stuttered he had to use a few different methods.”

“Like what?” he questioned as we continued on past Sugar Cube Corner.

“Let’s just say that a few of them will have to be done privately. I think some might frown on a prince doing them.”


“Now, do you swear?” I asked as we sat in the library of the Friendship Castle, the silver gryphon looking at me in surprise.

“N-no. I’m only t-twelve,” Albert replied as he looked at me.

“Try it. Just say what swears you know,” I told him calmly as I lit up one of the herbal cigarettes Fang had given me.

“Bugger,” he said quickly without even the slightest hint of a stammer.

“Oh come on now, a school choir colt could do better than that,” I told him with a smirk.

“Shit,” he said with a smirk at me. “Shit, shit, shit.”

“See, no hesitation when you swear,” I stated with a smile at him as he stood up.

“Shit, shit, shit, balls!” the young gryphon shouted in the empty library.

“Do you know the F word, Bertie?” I questioned as I stood up with a smile.

“F-fornication?” he asked as he looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

“Bertie…” He quickly glanced around to ensure we were alone before looking back to me.

“Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuckity, fuck!” we both smiled at one another before the library door suddenly opened.

“Is everything alright in here?” a pinkish colored unicorn asked as she poked her head into the library. “I heard shouting.”

“Yep, we’re doing fantastic, Starlight,” I replied with a smile. She sighed and muttered something before shutting the door. Still smiling, I placed a hoof on Albert’s shoulder. “Now, if you’re starting to stammer, just try cursing silently to yourself and see if that helps.” He nodded and suddenly wrapped his arms around me in a hug as I heard him sniffle a little bit. “You alright there bud?”

“Y-yeah,” the grey gryphon answered as he looked up at me with tears in his eyes. “Y-you’re just the…first one besides Lizzy to try and h-help me without—fuck, fuck, fuck—treating me like a p-prince.” He told me, my lesson already coming in handy a little bit as he was able to transition easily from the swears to regular talking. “Thank you.” His choked up thanks made me smile again as I hugged him.

“You’re very welcome, Bertie. If you ever need help with something, your sister, Fang, and I are always here to help you cause Fang and I are just a phone call away.” We broke the hug and I smiled as I put the cigarette out in a nearby ashtray. “Now, you want to help me plan a surprise for Fang?”

Comments ( 1 )

Mighty reeee

Login or register to comment