• Published 27th May 2016
  • 1,430 Views, 87 Comments

The Rhythm of Love - lockheed



A music store owner must figure out how to navigate the trials of love

  • ...
4
 87
 1,430

12: Playing the Blues

“We’re gonna run through it again and again until we get it right! Am I clear?” I shouted as I paced in front of the band. We were in the palace gardens, an area that was much easier to focus in than the parade grounds. The moon was high in the sky and the castle clock tower chimed to tell all of Canterlot that midnight was upon them.

“Yes sir.” They all groaned out.

“Once more!” They all began playing again a few moments later, my right forehoof waving through the air as I conducted. As the band played, a smile crossed my face. It took them awhile, but they’d finally gotten it.


I sighed tiredly as I hung my helmet on the rack by the door. While I’d tried to be quiet when I shut the door, I apparently wasn’t quiet enough as I could hear hoofsteps in the hallway. “Rhythm? Is that you?” Test asked as he rubbed his eyes with a hoof, sleep still in his voice.

“Yeah, sweetheart. It’s me.” I told him as I removed the rest of my armor. Why a bandleader would need armor was beyond me but it was regulation and I’d need to get used to conducting in it.

“What kept you so late? It’s twelve thirty.” He turned on the living room light as we sat down on the couch together.

“The band.” I told him as I took the bottle of cider that his magic had levitated from the fridge. I opened up the bottle and took a swig of it, the drink a nice way to end the day.

“Honey, I know that you want it to be perfect but don’t you think you’re going a bit overboard with it? You were there from seven in the morning until midnight.” He said as I swallowed the cider in my mouth.

“Well it’s my job and if I’m going to do a job, I’m going to do it perfectly.” I told him, my voice taking on an aggravated tone. “I know with science that accidents and mishaps can lead to new things but one little mistake during a performance can make or break a band. If I don’t get it perfect then we could lose everything we’ve got now!” I shouted as I stood up and chucked the bottle at the wall. The bottle shattered against the brick and cider showered down onto the carpet. Usually my temper was well in check but with the stress that the new job had me under, it’d fractured the shell that kept it from bubbling over. And now it was on full display for Test to see. “If I buck this up then it’s back to Ponyville with our tail between our legs like a whipped pup! It’s back to instant noodles and dandelion sandwiches! I know that you don’t get it but I don’t want to go back to that!” I shouted as I turned around, only to feel my heart sink as Test sat on the couch wrapping himself up in his robe and tears streaming down his face.

“Oh Celestia. Test, I-“ I stepped forward and reached a hoof out towards him but he flinched and tried to scoot away from me. “I’m sorry, Test. I’ll just- I’ll just go. I’m sorry.” I headed over towards the door and I was about to grab the handle when I heard a faint voice behind me.

“Wait.” The voice said just loud enough for me to hear. I turned my head to see Test standing behind me. “I-I’m sorry. I didn’t know how much pressure you were under.” At hearing his words, I quickly spun around and pulled him into a hug.

“No. You don’t apologize. You have no reason to apologize. I was the one who flipped out.” I told him as I gently ran a hoof through his mane. A couple tears made their way down my cheeks as my guilt really set in. “I’m so sorry, Test. I’m sorry I lost my temper. I’m sorry for scaring you. I’m sorry for not being home sooner. I’m sorry for-“ A pair of lips on mine shut me up and I quickly melted into the kiss. There was always something about Test’s kisses that made me go weak in the knees like a newborn foal. He broke the kiss and wiped away the tears on my cheeks.

“Now quit your crying and come to bed. It’s cold without you.”

“So, you don’t hate me?” I asked him which made him chuckle at me.

“Of course not. I’ve told you that we all have bad days. I guess I was just caught off guard. Now come on, let’s get to bed. You need all the rest you can get.” He told me as he booped me on the snout with his hoof.


“Lieutenant, we’ve had some anonymous complaints about how hard you’re being on the band.” Major Broadsword said from behind his desk. Rather than the usual guard armor, I stood at attention in a white uniform jacket with purple trim. “Reports said you had the band practicing from seven yesterday morning until midnight.”

“Yes, sir; that’s true.” I replied in a monotone voice as he stood up and walked around his desk. The white stallion stopped in front of me and looked me in the eyes.

“Do you care to explain your behavior?” The Major asked me.

“Sir, I expect nothing but perfection from those under my command. From Manehattan to Applewood, they are the only band in all of the Royal Guard. They are representing the Guard and all that it is, sir. Anything but perfection is not tolerated by myself and it should not be tolerated by those who are above me either.” I told him without breaking eye contact. He continued to stare at me for a few seconds before a small grin appeared on his face.

“By Celestia, you might just make a good Guard commander yet.” The Major said as he returned to the cushion behind his desk. “Well, I have to order you not to do it again. I have no issues with what you’re doing but the order is coming from the higher ups. Just, don’t do it again.” I nodded and turned to leave but stopped when the Major spoke up. "And son," I turned my head to look at the stallion behind the desk. "try to keep your shouting to a minimum. You'll loose your voice that way." I nodded again before I stepped out into the corridor that served as the main offices for the Royal Guard. Several ponies walked past, large stacks of paper or folders held in their magic, and I looked around to find the door to leave the way I'd come in. Before I could leave however, all action in the corridor ceased and everypony snapped to attention. I followed suit but didn't know why we were at attention until I stole a quick glance to my left. There, walking casually down the corridor was a pink alicorn mare and a white stallion in a red Royal Guard uniform. Even somepony who was a bit of a hermit like me knew of Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadence. They'd defeated the changelings at their wedding and sent them from Equestria, hopefully never to return. As they made their way in my direction, they would stop and exchange a few words with each guard before moving on to the next one. Finally, they'd reached the guard who stood to my left. I heard them say a quick goodbye and a moment later, they stood before me. I quickly bowed before them, earning a small chuckle from Shining Armor.

"You must be new here." He said, making me look up at him as he waved his hoof for me to rise. "No one here bows to Cadence or I. They're all old friends in a way." As I looked on, I quickly felt the tips of my ears start heating up as I watched him. Though, being in the presence of the Princess of Love, I quickly quashed any thoughts I had about her husband. "So, Lieutenant, what's your name?"

"Swing Rhythm, sir." I replied, sticking to the standard short answer that was expected of me.

"And what is your job?" Cadence asked me, the first time she'd spoke while they were in front of me.

"I'm the current leader of the Royal Guard Orchestra." I told them. Shining raised an eyebrow at that and then began questioning me further.

"When did the Guard get an orchestra?" Shining asked as they slowly began walking away, causing me to walk with them to explain.

"It was organized about a week ago." I said as they shook the hoof of the next guard.

"Is it any good?" Shining questioned as we moved onto the next guard.

"I would like to say 'yes', sir. But I fear that may look somewhat cocky on my part as the bandleader." I replied, making Shining chuckle a bit at that.

"Well, I must admire your neutrality on your command, Lieutenant. There're quite a few who would be quick to brag about those under their command." He told me as we reached the end of the guards in the corridor. "You posses a trait many could stand to learn."

"Well sir, I've just learned not to set expectations you may not be able to keep." I said while I continued to follow them.

"What kind of music can they play?" Cadence asked, me as we passed through a pair of double doors and out into the palace garden.

"Well mostly marches but we've been working on other kinds. They seem to have a few ballads and foxtrots down. If they have sheet music, they can play everything from classical to swing." I told her which made her clap her forehoves with glee.

"Could you possibly play a couple songs at a small dinner event we're hosting after the review on Friday?" She asked me which then made me look at her.

"I don't see why not." I replied with a smile.


The midday sun beat down on us as myself and the other unit commanders stood on either side of the reviewing platform. On the platform stood Prince Shining Armor and Princesses Cadence, Celestia, and Luna who all watched the platoons marching by. I felt like I was roasting in my armor but with it being a review, there was no way I could get away with even just removing my helmet. Sweat dripped down my face and stung my eyes when it would drip into them. On the opposite side of the platoons from us stood the band, playing a traditional march. As they played, I glanced up at the royals standing on the platform. All of them, even Shining Armor, looked bored with it. And then an idea hit me. It was idiotic for somepony who'd only been in the Guard a couple weeks but it seemed necessary at the time. I waited until there was a gap between platoons and then I galloped through the reviewing column. I stopped in front of the band and raised a hoof to get their attention on me. "Come on, we can to do better than this for the Princesses." I told them and I began waving my hoof, making the drummer begin giving a beat that the band recognized as one of the songs they'd learned but now it was just in the form of a march. They smiled as I later learned that it was their favorite song to play.

I stole a quick glance behind me and saw Major Broadsword look over worriedly at the royals standing on the platform before looking back to me with steam practically coming out his ears. I turned back to the band with a roll of my eyes. I knew I'd catch major flak over it (no pun intended) but another quick glance back relieved that the Guards, who normally had the resting scowls on their faces, instead had hints of grins.


"Unbelievable! An officer, deliberately running through a reviewing column! I should have you court marshaled for this, Lieutenant!" Major Broadsword said as he sat behind his desk. His normally white face was taking on a red color as he stood up and placed a hoof on his desk. "And another thing!" There was a quick knock at the door before it opened. The Major looked up to begin a verbal assault on whoever had interrupted him but quickly snapped to attention and saluted. Shining Armor saluted him back before turning to me.

"Well Lieutenant, I should applaud you." He said, earning a raised eyebrow from Major Broadsword. "Giving the Guards music they like. Good moral boost." Shining Armor told me as he extended a hoof for me to shake. I shook his hoof and I could see the Major looking like he was ready to blow his top yet again. "I trust the you will be at the dinner party Cadence and I are hosting tonight?" He asked me as I glanced over at the stewing Major yet again. I looked back to Shining Armor with a grin.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world."


"I can't believe that we're attending a dinner party at the Royal Palace!" Test exclaimed with joy as we walked along the streets of Canterlot. He was in a black tuxedo with a purple bow tie while I wore my purple dress uniform. On the collar, rather than the traditional Guard insignia, was a golden lyre which shined in the light of the setting sun.

"It's just a dinner party. I honestly wouldn't have accepted the offer if it wasn't royalty who invited us." I told him as we entered the palace grounds. We walked through the main entry doors and stopped at the back of a line leading up the steps. At the top stood Shining Armor and Princess Cadence who were thanking the ponies ahead of us for coming to their party. Finally, it was our turn to step up to the royal couple. Rather than bowing like everpony else before us, I shook Shining's hoof before taking Cadence's and giving it a quick kiss. "Pleasure to see both of you again." I said with a smile as Test bowed his head to them.

"Likewise." Cadence said before turning her attention to Test. "And who might this be?"

"This is my coltfriend, Test Tube." I replied as I turned to him.

"It's a p-pleasure to meet you." He stuttered out, clearly nervous about being face to face with royalty.

"Don't be so nervous, sweetie." I told him as I put a hoof on his shoulder. "He's a bit nervous around new ponies." I told them with a small smile.

"Well we'll let you get inside then. Enjoy yourselves." Cadence said with a smile at us which we returned before entering the palace ballroom. The ballroom was the same one that was used for the Grand Galloping Gala but it was far less crowded than it would've been during the gala. That's not to say that it was a small crowd in there. No, there were easily three hundred ponies in the room and there were more who had yet to arrive.

"Tell you what, you go find us a table and I'll get us some drinks, alright?" Test nodded at my idea and broke away from me to find a table. I made my over to the bar at the back of the ballroom where I saw a very familiar looking light brown unicorn mare. "Hey babe, you fool around on the first date?" I asked as I stepped up to the bar. The mare turned with a small scowl which turned into a smile that threatened to split her face in two.

"Rhythm, it's so good to see you!" She said as she made her way around the bar to give me a hug. "Where in tartarus have you been? Don't you know how to drop by or write?" She asked as she broke the hug to look at me. "Whatever you want, it's on the house."

"Just give me a couple martinis. Shaken, not stirred." I told her as I leaned against the bar. She set about getting the drinks made as she continued with the conversation.

"So how's the Guard treating you? You look good in your uniform." She said as she shook up the drinks.

"It's pretty nice. Fairly easy job and no physical exam every year like everypony else." I replied as she poured the drinks into a couple glasses.

"Well it sounds nice. About as easy as my job." She told me while sliding the drinks to me. "How's Test doing?"

"He's doing alright. He had an interview at the University of Canterlot's science department so hopefully he'll get the job. I feel bad for leaving him alone in the house all day." I told her as I took a sip of my martini.

"Get him a puppy. Isn't that what you're supposed to do in situations like that?" She asked as she set about wiping some glasses.

"I'm not sure but it's definitely worth considering. I'll probably see you later, Whiskey." I said while grabbing the drinks. Trotting into the crowd, I looked around and saw Test sitting at a table in the corner where a grey stallion sat next to him. I raised an eyebrow as I saw Test was blushing as the other stallion talked to him. "What's going on here?" I asked, setting the glasses down in the process.

"Well hello, cutie. What's your name?" The grey stallion asked as he lowered his purple tinted glasses to look over them at me.

"I could ask you the same thing." I told him while looking over at Test. "Is he bothering you, sweetie?" Test shook his head as a hoof was placed on my shoulder. I turned to see a white stallion with a blue mane and mustache looking at me apologetically.

"I do apologize for my friend's behavior. He has a thing for Guards." The stallion said as he removed his hoof from my shoulder. "By the way, the name is Fancy Pants."

"Swing Rhythm." I replied as I then turned my attention back to the grey stallion who was now eyeing me like a tiger might before it pounces on its prey.

"I have a pretty good idea of what you're after bud and if you're looking for a pitcher, I'm the wrong stallion." I told him with a deadpan look. He seemed to slump a little at that but looked over at Test.

"Figures that it's always the quiet, shy ones who dish it out." He looked back over at me and eyed me over one more time. "And apparently pretty rough too." This brought about another round of blushing on Test's part. Fancy Pants quickly made his way over to the other stallion.

"Alright, Hoity; let's go to the bar. I think I saw some Guards there you can hit on." Fancy said as he almost dragged the grey stallion away. I shook my head and sat down across from Test who was now sipping his drink.

"I leave you alone for two minutes and you've got stallions falling all over you." I told him with a playful grin. He blushed again while I took a sip from my drink. "I should envy you. I never had such luck when I was single." Just as I was about to take another sip, the sound of trumpets blaring the call to attention made me stand up from my seat and stand stock still.

"Fillies and gentlecolts, their Majesties, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna!" A voice called out, causing everypony to turn towards the ballroom entrance and bow. After a few moments, a voice that sounded like Celestia's called for everypony to rise. I returned to my drink as the Princesses made their way around the room to talk to everypony. After quite a few minutes of conversation with Test as well as a refill of our drinks, I saw his face go serious as a hoof was placed on my shoulder for the second time that night. Turning my head to look, I saw a midnight blue hoof in a metal slipper. Following the leg up to its owner, I saw Princess Luna standing over me and I cracked a small grin. "Evening, Princess. Wanna get drunk?"