• Published 10th Apr 2016
  • 11,636 Views, 627 Comments

The Guardian - NYChris824



When a Marine wakes up in a vintage tank in a forest, he finds himself out of place and his world.

  • ...
60
 627
 11,636

Night and Inspection

Michael's party went off without a hitch. Big Mac and the rest of the guys told him of the plan for heat season and he agreed. Big Mac told us he would keep us informed of the details.

I was in my room, sitting on the balcony rail, looking towards the mountains in the distance. I've always wanted to try mountain climbing, perhaps I could try it here. A soft knock came from the door.

"Come in." I said softly, Michael came in and closed the door behind him.

"Hey Micheal. What's up?"

"Nothing much, just thinking." Michael said softly

"Home?"

"That and how weird this planet is."

"Like how magic exists, weather is managed, humans aren't alone in the universe, polygamy is legal and their technology is all over the place."

"The universe part and their tech!" He half shouted "Oh and the polygamy thing." Michael was already asked to join a herd. I couldn't help but feel slightly miffed. I would've declined too, but I was here for a day and a half longer. It's probably whatever they wanted in a man and he has it.

"Keep it down! Everyone is trying to sleep" I whispered

He leaned on the rail looking at the night sky, it was still mostly cloudy from the evening rain storm. The moon and stars were coming and going as the clouds lazily floated away. Even though they control the weather, they can't control the wind, so the clouds move around like on Earth.

"You ever look at the night sky at home?" Michael asked me quietly

"Occasionally, I don't know any of the constellations though."

"You wonder which star is our Sun?"

"I try not to think about home. Where are you going with this?"

"You ever seen Interstellar?"

"I'm really confused with where you're going, but yes."

"Remember the first planet where an hour there was like ten Earth years?"

"Yea."

"What if it's just like that here? One hour here is nine Earth years and in say, five years here, humanity is exploring the universe and come here." He said, I realized where he was going. He was wondering if we would see any other humans.

"What if it's the other way around?" I asked "Say two thousand years from now, humanity arrives and the Princesses built a memorial for the weird aliens with our tanks."

"Yeah." He said looking a little glum. His expression changed to a happier note. "Imagine that, they arrive and think they're the first people here, only to find we beat 'em.". We laughed at that idea.

"Hey Michael, there something I wanted to ask you."

"What's up?"

"Earlier today, Princess Luna came by and asked me to inspect the Royal Guard. Care to join me?"

"Ja! Not like I have anything else to do around here. Speaking of that, what's the long term goal for us?"

"No clue, get a job somewhere doing something. Buy a nice little house, possibly even a girlfriend or three." I said

"You would do that?"

"I mean, I don't wanna be alone my whole life, though I might stick with one, MAYBE two. Luna asked me to join the Royal Guard. I wouldn't be surprised if she asked you too."

"Correct if I'm wrong wouldn't that be treason or something?"

"I'm pretty sure, but at the same time, I've been in the Marines since high school. Being a soldier is all I know."

"Ja, maybe it's why we were sent here with the tanks. I still don't like it, I'm a German first."

"True." I said "But if we can't go back, them what choice do we have?". I wasn't sure if I could tell him about the possible war coming soon.

"Live a simple life maybe. I don't know."

"Ok, so let's say we joined the military here. What happens to our tanks? They're the only tanks on the planet. There's no armored divisions to be put into." Michael asked

"Fuck if I know. Maybe assign us to to an artillery division, our main guns are cannons after all."

"Maybe, they might even copy the designs or something. I'll guess we'll cross that bridge later. Gute Nacht." Michael said and left. I walked back into my room, and sat on the edge of the bed and took off my shorts.

"Holy dickhats." I muttered to myself "This bed is fucking soft. Beats the driver chair any day." I passed out in a few minutes.

***
"Dan? C'mon Dan." Twilight said, gently shaking me.

"What time is it?" I asked, half asleep

"Half past seven."

"What time are we meeting Princess Luna?"

"At the army base outside of Oak Ridge at nine."

"I would stay in this bed, but I feel like you would turn into a salty ass Sergeant Major and tell me to unfuck myself " I said, sitting up.

"Is that an insult?" Twilight asked, narrowing her eyes at me

"No, think of it as I don't want to see you angry, especially at me."

"Ohhhh. Well, when you're ready, Michael and I are downstairs."

"Ok, be down soon." I said and got up. I took a quick shower and looked in the mirror, almost two weeks of not seeing a razor has left me with a good stubble. I was waiting for a 2nd Lieutenant fresh from OCS to tell me to take my head out of my ass and my hand off my dick. I decided to look as professional as possible, which was impossible due to me having four pairs of clothes. The tanker uniform will do, at least look military.

I stood there for a moment wondering about what their military would look like. All their other technology is a mixture of 19th, 20th and 21st technology. Would their military use muskets while wearing modern camouflage? Perhaps wear Roman armor and the horse hair helmets with assault rifles? What about the Air Force? Do they have one? I pushed these thoughts aside and walked down the hall.

We finished breakfast and went over the plan. A train would arrive to pick us up soon and go to some military base to meet up with Princess Luna and inspect the troops on base. Then Micheal and I would then offer any advice to improve them. I wasn't sure if we were just viewing the army or if the rest of the military would come farther down the road. Michael and I were talking, while Twilight was off taking care of something.

"Vhere did you get that uniform?" Michael asked me

"It came with the tank. Along with some other stuff."

"Like what? I saw the gun and canteen."

"Some bags hanging from the turret. C'mon I'll show you while we wait." I said. We walked outside and walked to the tank.

"Those bags, one should have some tools. Shovel, ax and maybe some stuff. The other should have a German version of this. Looks a little better to wear than street clothes." I said. Michael opened the first bag and pulled out a black shirt and black pants. He unfolded them and looked at them. He ducked inside the tank for a moment. He emerged wearing the uniform, he adjusted on the sleeves.

"Not bad. I'll be sweating in a few minutes though."

"Too bad, roll up your sleeves than. I'll do that later on." I said.

Twilight walked outside, "You two ready?". We looked at each other and nodded

***
The train pulled into the Oak Ridge train station and walked out. A car was supposed to show up and pick us up. A few minutes of waiting a Model T pulled up. I was more used to cars with windows and heated seats, Michael had a similar reaction to the car. An orange stallion stepped out and told was me was to drive is there. I was right about the Roman armor part, but he didn't have any weapons with him.

We pulled up to the base on the outskirts of town. Princess Luna was already there, talking to an orange unicorn in purple armor. I noticed most wore golden armor, while others wore purple and they all carried muskets. Some were practicing drills on a range while others were practicing with cannons and what looked like old machine guns from the Civil War, carried by horses and have six barrels.

"Ze purple ones must be officers." Michael pointed out

"Yea, I'm not sure I would want to wear that armor. I'm pretty sure gold isn't a strong metal." I said

"I'm not sure we would even have to wear that in ze tanks if we joined."

"I hope not. It be impossible to do anything in that space. If we joined, these uniforms would have to be what we're wearing." We would've kept talking, but we reached Princess Luna and the mystery man.

We stood there talking for a minute. Luna introduced the mystery man as Colonel Aegis and he would accompany us during the inspection while she and Twilight went to a tent to talk about something else. Aegis had a company fall in for is to inspect them, Michael and I began the inspection.

"Have you ever seen a musket Dan?" Michael asked as we walked along the side of the company.

"Do movies count?"

"No."

"Do paintings from 200 years ago count?"

"No."

"In that case. No. Have you?"

"No."

We weren't sure what to look for, since we never did this before. We talked to a couple of soldiers about their equipment. Luna and Twiligjt came back, Twilight looking a little nervous. Micheal and I walked away from everyone and talked about what we saw.

"Vhat do you think?" Michael asked

"Not bad, I think we should suggest a replacement for the armor. Gold doesn't stop bullets and xould easily weighs ninety pounds.

"Agreed, but with what?"

"We introduce camouflage, probably MARPAT designs or something."

"Yea, I think we should ask about any sort of research and development. See if they have anything fairly modern. Although, I think assault rifles aren't going to appear for at least fifty years."

"Yea, i don't know how to make an assault rifle and I doubt you know how to make a plane. What did you fly on Earth?"

" I flew the fighter-bomber variant of the Tornado. GR4. Do you think they use trucks to move their troops or they use pack animals still?"

"Who knows, but that's another suggestion we give them. Motorize the army. Should we let them study our tanks?" I asked

Michael rubbed his chin for a moment, "Maybe. Wouldn't hurt to have some more tanks if we joined them or even for them to have tanks if we don't join. Anything we can suggest?"

"Not that I can think of. We'll have to ask about any new tech. Offer some advice if they have anything similar to stuff from home." I said and we walked back over to the group, "Do you think they'll have us look at their other branches?" I asked

"Possibly, do they have a Lut- Air Force? What if they use zeppelins or biplanes? Their tech is all over the place."

I would've answered him, but we reached the group again.

"What do you think of our forces?" Luna asked

Michael responded "They look professional, well trained and well equipped." I could see Aegis' chest push out of pride. "We have some ideas." He added

"What may they be?" Luna asked

"The first one is we talked to some soldiers about the armor and they said that it is heavy, uncomfortable and doesn't offer much protection."

"What should we replace it with?" Aegis asked

"Camouflage," I said "It also wouldn't hurt to make one for each biome on the planet."

"But than would they wear for protection?" Aegis asked "What did you wear on Earth

"We wore Kevlar in a bullet proof vest, although it didn't do much to protect from rifle rounds. I'm not sure what it's made of, some sort of synthetic fiber. Steel plates were used before that." They all nodded at that

"Our other idea was using trucks to move troops and supplies around." Michael offered

"We already have twenty thousand guards being trained to drive trucks. Some already do and are the instructors." Luna replied

"That solves that," I said "Unfortunately, that's all we have; muskets haven't been used in centuries and plate armor hasn't been used since the Dark Ages passed."

"What do you use now?" Aegis asked

"Assault rifles, they have an option to fire a single round, several rounds or fully automatic; which fires until the magazine is empty. Rifles came around in the early 1900s and were phased out in the 1960s." I said. We talked a little more, than took our leave.

We were on the train headi back to Ponyville, Twilight was asleep and Michael was next to me.

"Do we think we should join? Now that we have seen what they have?" He asked

I rubbed my chin for a moment. "Maybe, I'm still not entirely sure though. What do you think?"

"I think we should, I think it's our only option." I merely nodded and looked out the window.

Author's Note:

Moving into college on the 17th so I'm gearing up for that. Also means expect even less of my half-shit writing.

I'm also going back and editing some of the other chapters. Mainly changing small details.