• Published 10th Apr 2016
  • 11,636 Views, 627 Comments

The Guardian - NYChris824



When a Marine wakes up in a vintage tank in a forest, he finds himself out of place and his world.

  • ...
60
 627
 11,636

An offer

AN: Wow! Two chapters in like a week. I must be feeling bad.

We arrived in town with no issues. I turned off the tank and said

"This concludes our tour while this tour is free, tips are appreciated especially diesel fuel or food. Please take all trash because I live in here."

"You don't have to live in here Dan!" Twilight said "There's plenty of room in the castle and it would be nice to have some company other than Spike." I didn't have a choice, I could tell she wouldn't say no and royalty has the best of the best which means comfy beds and I am not one to turn down comfy beds.

"Alright." I said, I could cross off the homeless part of the list and move onto finding a job.

"Hey Dan! What in these bags?" Dash asked, standing next to the bags on the turret

"The one on the left has tools ax, shovel stuff like that."

"What's in the right one?"

"I never opened it, let's find out." I was hoping for a rifle or another gun. I found instead a World War Two tanker uniform.

"This is what tankers would wear in these things."

"Meh, could be twenty percent cooler. I got some work to do, there's a rainstorm this evening at 7:25." Dash said and flew off.

I shook my head "I don't think I can ever get used to that fact."

"I'm sure I would feel the same way if our roles were reversed." Twilight said reassuringly, rubbing my back. I tensed up, not from the contact, but rather she was rubbing my scars. I picked them up in some bumfuck of a village in Afghanistan, we were doing a foot patrol, when an RPG flew over us and exploded. I was set to some hospital near Kabul and had the shrapnel pulled out and a mess of scars to show. The sharp all was on my upper back and right shoulder, luckily Rarity didn't noticed it earlier otherwise she probably would've fainted. She seems like the type who has a weak stomach.

"Dan, what's up with the bumps on your back?" She asked

"It's... it's nothing I said

"Are you sure?" She asked, shooting me skeptical look.

"Yep." I grabbed my spare clothes and gun and we walked in.

"Here it is." Twilight said, as she showed me one of the guest rooms. It was simple: a bed, some chairs and a sofa next to a fire place. There were doors to what I assumed were the closet and bathroom, while another led to a balcony.

"It's perfect, better than sleeping in a chair." I said, "Just wondering, why aren't there any other ponies here? No guards, chefs or cleaners."

"Well, I've only been a princess for a few months." She said "Plus, I never needed anypony like that but I should have some guards coming soon." I heard someone running down the hall.

"TwilIGHT!" Spike said, as she came running down the hall and tried to skid to a halt, only to slid on the floors. Twilight and I cringed at the impact noise at the end of the hallway. Spike came back over, holding his head.

"A letter from Princess Luna." He said

"Thanks Spike. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." He mumbled and walked off. Twilight began to read the letter and I put all four sets of extra clothes away. She somehow managed to finish before me.

"Princess Luna will be here to talk to us about something. Her letter didn't say what." Twilight said. I stood there wondering about what, I didn't do anything wrong that I can think of, unless there was a cultural misunderstanding.

"When will she be here?"

Twilight reread the letter. "It doesn't say, I would have to guess soon."

We walked back to the foyer, where Luna was waiting for us. Twilight began to bow, when Princess Luna put her hand on Twilight's shoulder.

"You don't have to bow to us, Twilight." Luna said

"Sorry Princess."

"We're both Princesses Twilight, you don't have to be so formal with me nor my sister."

"Okay, would you like anything to drink?"

"Some tea will be fine." Luna said and Twilight left. Luna gestured for me to take a seat.

"You wanted to speak with us Princess?" I asked

"Yes, I read Twilight's reports about you. Are you really a soldier?" She asked. I wasn't too surprised about that, it would make sense to learn about the new freaky alien who arrived.

"I was or rather I am, I'm probably listed as M.I.A or something." I said

"My sister and I fought against Discord's forces two millennium ago. Although she has preferred the political side of the crown." I remembered that she spent a thousand years on the moon.

"Really? You don't look a day over twenty five." I said, being dead serious.

"Thank you Dan. It's refreshing to hear somepony think that of us." She said "So you have any good stories from serving?" I was caught a little off guard by that question. Twilight came back with a tea kettle and some cups.

"Tea Dan?" She asked

"No thanks." I shifted a little and felt something poke my lower back. I reached behind me and lulled my magical canteen out. I could've sworn I saw a pink blur next to the window.

"Pinkie?" I asked Twilight

"Pinkie." She confirmed, I shrugged, fuck it.

"I have a good one." I said "I was pulling guard duty one day and these three guys come walking towards us." Their not trying to hide or anything, I thought they were suicide bombers. They kept walking towards us and and about three hundred yards away, they stopped and turned around. They pulled their pants down, crapped and left. We never understood why." I said, earning laughs from Luna and Twilight. "That wasn't even the worse part, we were downwind from it all. So the Captain send out a little E.O.D robot with some C-4 in its arm, sent it out and blew the shit sky high."

"When you said suicide bombers, do you mean..." Luna began to say, unable to finish what she was saying.

"They would wear a bomb and set it off, usually in a public place." I finished.

"What does EOD mean?" Twilight asked

"Explosive Ordnance Disposal, they defuse improvised explosive devices, or IED." I turned towards Luna "You have any good stories Princess?" She nodded

"It was during the against Discord, my company and I were about to head to the front, some private, Butterhooves tripped. He was known for being clumsy, as his name would suggest. He managed to knock over the entire company." She said, laughing for a moment. Her eyes glazed over and I recognized the look: the thousand yard stare.

"What's wrong Princess? You know that I know that look." I said, she let out a sigh.

"It was during a battle, a cannonball exploded near me and put Sharon's, in my flank." Luna began to say, rubbing her hip "I was brought to the field hospital and they was a pile of limbs. All amputated because they couldn't be saved. The doctor gave me a thirty percent chance of keeping my leg, all I saw was a pile of my leg."

I turned around and pulled my shirt. "We were doing a foot patrol when a RPG blew up behind us."

Twilight looked a little pale and Luna just nodded.

"I'm afraid I didn't come to share war stories." She said, indicating the conversation was switching to a serious tone.

"I figured as much, I don't mind though." I said

"What I'm about to tell you two must not leave the room." She said, Twilight and I agreed.

"Our relations with the griffons is deteriorating rapidly." Luna said

"But why? Our relations have been good for centuries." Twilight pointed out.

I made the time out gesture "I understand telling Twilight, but why me? I'm some extraterrestrial alien, I'm not even a citizen." I pointed out

"You're correct, but you're a soldier, are you not?" Luna said

"Yes, sworn to protect the United States Constitution from all threats foreign and domestic."

"Would you join the Royal Guard? Your tank is decades ahead of any military technology on the planet."

I realized why she was here. Luna wanted me to join the Equestrian military, except I'm still on active duty with the USMC. I'm pretty sure suddenly joining a foreign military is treason and would earn me a trip to the chair. At the same time, I'm stuck here for the rest of my life and killing is all I know and is may the reason why I was sent here with a tank.

"I can tell your unsure, you can have a couple days to think it over." Luna said and stood up.

I nodded, "Princess. Would it be possible for me to view your military? Call me a foreign military advisor or something. Maybe, I could offer way to improve your military." I offered

"Of course. How does tomorrow sound?" Luna asked

"Perfect."

"Princ-" Twilight began to say "Luna would it be possible for me to come as well? If I'm going to be a princess then I think I should know about the military." She said.

"Of course Twilight." She said and walked out. Twilight sat down next to me and leaned on my shoulder.

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't know yet. I'm just missing on Earth, but at the same time, whatever sent me here sent me with the tank for a reason. I could just become a mercenary, do security or something and if war did break out offer my service to Equestria." I said, there was also a third option, do nothing. Pretend this meeting never happened and watch the war.

I went back to my room and considered my options. I weighed the pros of cons of each one carefully.

If I join the Equestrian military, I would have a clue of what I was doing. But at the same time, I might as well join the British army because it's like a whole new military and possible new ranks and other things to remember, such as a different way of saluting. But it would also have Job security.

Being a merc/PMC sounded nice, I would be my own boss and not have to deal with military bullshit. It would also involve hiring other to help me, probably shady ones too. I have no money to hire them anyway.

The final option was the safest, sit around and die of old age. I could get a job, buy a house and live my life how I want to. But I think I was sent here for a reason, the issue is finding why. If I don't join and the griffons take over, chances are they would kill me. I wouldn't want a killer ailen in my country.

Someone was knocking on my door, probably Twilight. What time was it? Could I have been thinking for hours and it time for lunch or even dinner?

"Come in!"

Twilit walked in, I noticed she put her phone away.

"What's up?" I asked

"You're needed in town. Another human with a tank showed up." She said, I head shot up and looked at her.

"You're kidding."

"I'm not."

"Oh shit." I said, I wondered what it could be. Maybe a Jackson or a Hellcat. Maybe a Stuart or a Pershing. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, what if it's another country? What if it's a German and he shot at me? I shook my head and walked out to the tank.

Author's Note:

*Cliffhanger quadruples*

Place your bets on who it'll be. Allied or Axis? A major country or a minor?

Keep in mind all tanks will be a medium, so no Tiger tanks.