• Published 10th Apr 2016
  • 11,636 Views, 627 Comments

The Guardian - NYChris824



When a Marine wakes up in a vintage tank in a forest, he finds himself out of place and his world.

  • ...
60
 627
 11,636

Prep work

Author's Note:

I just wanted to let you guys know that writing this story has been a FUCKING blast. That being said, don't worry, the story has AT LEAST another 100k words to be written. I'm aiming for 150k-200k.

Thank you to everyone who's favorited it or follows it

Next chapter: Another jump an maybe some action. Definitely some shooting and explosions

I woke up the next morning at seven sharp and I was ready to go. I wanted to go back down there and look at everything in daylight. I was hoping another letter would have arrived at some point to give me some more information.

"Tired of this pussy footing." I thought aloud, "No political horse shit in this so no need to be secretive."

I walked to the kitchen to grab something to eat. Twilight was already there, cup of tea and paper being held in her magic.

"Good morning, Dan."

"Morning Twilight. What's new?"

"I got a letter last night from Luna. She said she's making an announcement soon about the military."

"Good to hear, she want me there or something? Otherwise, I'll spend a decent amount of time at the base. I need to implement some training exercises or something. Let everyone get to know everyone and for us to command a large number. Would I have to clear any training with you?" I explained as I toasted a bagel.

Twilight rubbed her head, "It probably wouldn't hurt. If you need some more room, let me know and the government can buy more land."

I started thinking if we would need more land. Artillery would need a place to practice for sure, so a few acres would be needed. A range next door would also be needed, so more land there. The support battalions have everything they need. I also wanted to get some other small things, furniture and are for the wall in the administration building and other places was something else I wanted.

"Wouldn't hurt." I added. "Artillery needs a place to shoot away and so does everyone else. I don't know, five acres? Maybe more? I'll head over later and check it out."

"What time?" Before I could answer, someone singing a walk into the kitchen.

"Mornin'." James said as he walked in.

"Morning, Colonel." I answered with a shit eating grin.

"Morning, General, sir!" He shouted and stood at attention.

"Calm down. I don't want to be called sir or general. I'll make that announcement when some troops arrive. Also we're heading over to the base soon. Hua?"

"Hua Dan." AN: Hua is the Equestrian Army's form of war cries

We talked until Michael and David joined us. We left to head over to the base.

"Welcome to Camp War Foot." I said, as I lifted the gate up for everyone to enter.

Michael stopped and looked at me, "War footing is gearing up for a war, you know that, right?"

"Yes, but that's not the point. No one here knows that. I was going with Camp Harmony, since the Element Bearers live here, but it's already used. It's just one more piece of this division that makes it unique. I swung by last night and looked around. Did some paperwork and shit."

"Camp Sparkle?" Twilight offered.

"Maybe. There are plenty of bases named after people, they usually were killed in the area. Still not a bad idea. Nothing is set in stone."

I gave a quick tour, since I struggled to remember the layout from the dark night. We walked into officer country and looked at the barracks we'd be living in."

"Do we have our own huts or maybe our own rooms?" James asked

"Who said we have to live on base? I rented a small place with some friends a few blocks away from base." I answered. "I probably will since I'm the CO; need to be close by. Maybe have some junior officers and NCOs live off base. A few will have families come as well."

"Well, there's maybe five houses for sell around town at anytime." Twilight noted. "So expanding the town is needed."

"There's eighteen thousand fighting men, a few thousand support staff and families. Let's say five hundred families move here. I say families first then some apartments for anyone who wants to live off base."

"Agreed. I'll get in touch with some construction companies and have them starting adding some houses to the west edge. I'll leave some space for shops as well." Twilight added.

"Also, would you know what our division name is?" I questioned, "I haven't been told yet and it seems kind of important to me, like are we an infantry or are we something new?"

"They haven't told you? That's weird. It certainly should have been given already."

"Only thing I got was a letter from Princess Celestia to congratulate me on my promotion. Unless it's something so fundamentally different from the rest of the army they don't know what to call it."

"Maybe they're making it into a marine division." James suggested. "Keep you nice and comfy."

"Perhaps, that would explain my massive promotion. I might be the world's foremost expert on amphibious assaults. But we're in the middle of the country, no ocean to practice and we have all these trucks."

"Trucks?"

"Yea. I'm not sure how many, but there's probably a thousand. Just sitting there waiting for someone to use them. Definitely can't use those on the beach unless they have a magic spell to drive across water."

"Like Jesus." David noted

"He walked, but yes. The trucks are near some windowless building. I thinks it's the prison or something." I led the the group over to the motor pool.

"Behold, a lot of trucks. Oh and also there's the jail or something."

"Have you tried the door?" James asked

"Locked. Keys are most likely in the admin building. They might be in my desk or someone els's desk. I'm not entirely sure though."

"They're obviously around here." Michael added. "Just a matter of where and which key goes with which building."

"They better be labeled or I'm destroying this whole base. Admin building is over here." I said, continuing the tour. I opened the door and let everyone in.

"This place is pretty empty." Twilight noted, everyone else added their complaints of the wall decorations, or lack there of.

"Yea, it's something I want to piece. Add some paintings up, photos of people or something. I got time to figure it out. I'm thinking some stuff of Ponyville or something. Probably a few of military leaders as well. Have a look around, my office is over here. Your offices are probably down that hall. Do whatever, check your offices for any paperwork, explore the base or just leave. Don't matter to me." I said to my subordinates.

"And me?" Twilight asked

"Explore, head home, do some shopping. I plan on being here at least an hour handling crap. I'm assuming some troops will be arriving soon, today or tomorrow."

"I have a meeting with local businesses soon anyway."

"If they complain that they don't have enough business, tell them that they'll have more customers soon." Michael said.

"Will do." She replied with a smile, teleported away and I went to my office. On my desk was a new letter.

Dear Major General Kroger,

I would like to extend my personal congratulations to you on your promotion, along with additional information. First, Captain Solar Beam and his company will arrive this evening and be assigned to the First Battalion. The rest of your division will slowly filter in as new recruits are trained. They will be spilt between you and the Twenty Second Infantry, the other latest division. Speaking of your division, yours is the First Motorized. Where as all the others are still reliant of their own two feet to move, you will move faster on the field of battle.

This is the main reason for your large leap in ranks. Such a revolutionary new tactic often requires a leader who sees the world in a different light. Some are obviously opposed to your new rank, but in time they will see you are the best candidate for the job.

Yours truly,

Princess Luna

"We got a name boys!" I shouted.

"Something good?" James called back.

"First Motorized. That why all those trucks are here."

"Meaning what?"

"While the rest of the army marches, we sit on our asses and drive to combat. It's what I did in Afghanistan."

"My father was armored infantry, what's the difference?"

"It's called mechanized by most and they use APCs or IFVs, nice and armored and completely protected from small arms fire. They're also treaded, like a tank." I said, volume dropping when I realized why I was in charge of the division.

The trucks could keep up with our tanks.

"Guys! I know why we got big promotions!"

"Our good looks?" Michael offered

"Yes! No, it's our tanks. We should grab them and bring back! This is the start of motorized warfare. We should also look into how fast they all go."

"So we're racing tanks." James said

"Sounds like fun!" David added. "Also wouldn't the tanks be destroyed at some point in a war?"

"I mean, you got a point Davey. But we're officers, we won't be within a mile of a fight."

"Says who? You can bet I'll be up front, I joined to fight. Not sit a hundred miles behind the lines. That's why I wanted to be a captain, still fight and no one would bat an eye." I cried

The door squeaked open and a voice called out.

"Hello? Anypony here?" I stood up and walked out into the lobby.

"Now that sounds like Captain Beam." I said and walked into the lobby.

"General." He saluted and I returned.

I couldn't help but feel awkward as the man older than me saluted me out respect. Now I felt how second lieutenants felt when they were saluted.

"Your men outside?"

"No, I told them to head over to First Battalion land and get set up. What's the game plan?"

"Drink until we die or the rest of the division arrives. Whatever comes first."

"Sounds like a good plan. Where's a good place to drink?"

"I always go to a little booze store. Ran by a woman named Berry Punch. I'm partial to Harper Whiskey. Follow me." I led Beam to my office. "Pardon the lack of furniture, this place is brand new. I'm thinking a small high table on the wall with some booze."

"Well you won't be the first and certainly not the last."

I laughed at that. "No, not even close. The reason I wanted to talk in private was simple. I don't know what I'm doing and neither do my colonels." I raised a hand before he could protest. "I'm currently twenty four and a two star general. I don't have to spell out my issue."

"You don't believe you can lead."

"Not a command this large. I think someone like you, granted higher than your rank, should be here and I should be a lieutenant or I should replace you as captain."

"Well, what I learned from those above me and what I do for those below is simple. You don't them how to do but what to do and let them figure it out. Sometimes you may have to do yelling, but that's life. You obviously don't believe in yourself. I could see a colonel or a one moon general here, but you, General, have seen more about than half the army combined. I never seen combat or a dead body."

"Which is the exact reason why I don't like this promotion. I've seen combat, I'm not a guy who can stare at map and photos and say where to attack. We both want to be a general, but in my mid-fucking-twenties? No thank you."

"Suck it up, buttercup. This sure as shit isn't a dream. Besides, you can have four moons on your shoulder before your mane goes gray."

I nodded at his last point. I already knew that I couldn't do a thing about it. "There's one thing I want you to see, come with me."

"Yes, General."

"Also, don't call me that. Just Dan. Also don't salute me unless we're at a formal event."

"Feels odd having somepony older calling you sir."

"Bingo."

"I've never had it, I worked my way up the ladder."

"You ever enlisted? Was there a Private Beam ten years ago?"

"Just a Second Lieutenant four years back. Once I graduated high school I spent some time working on a farm. Got bored and joined the army."

"Shame you missed out on being a private, always get some stories from that time." I laughed at one of them. "I remember one time we to hit by a storm and orders were not to go outside without our armor, guys wore only that around base." We had a good laugh at that one. "But this is what I wanted to show you."

"Truck? Isn't this for logistics?"

"Some hopefully. But this is our way to fight. We'll ride to the battle in these things."

I finally got a close up view of them, they were fifteen feet long, a couple feet of the ground. Good ground clearance, but could be prone to tipping over. I climbed on the bumper and popped the hood. She had a V-6, which seemed small to me. A canvas trap covered the back of the truck.

"Not bad. Could be worse."

"How many could could you fit?" My Captain asked

"Lets go look." We peeked into the back and climbed in, "I'd say eight or ten. Depends on the gear they have. Wish they had a weapon on them, they're sitting ducks in this thing."

"Cut the front of the cover off, add a gun or two. We'd lose room for them to sit, but better than losing them."

"Well whenever my mechanics arrive we do do that. We could get some sheet metal or something light and put on the outside, a little more protection. Let's worry about it later. Go get settled in."