• Published 10th Apr 2016
  • 11,636 Views, 627 Comments

The Guardian - NYChris824



When a Marine wakes up in a vintage tank in a forest, he finds himself out of place and his world.

  • ...
60
 627
 11,636

Tank time

Author's Note:

THAT' S RIGHT!! DEVIL DOG IS GOING FOR A RIDE. :pinkiecrazy:

Your welcome, oh and *insert reason for not posting here*

I know Big Mac is slightly OOC with the whole actually saying more than one word thing.
Next chapter Princess things

I walked back to Twilight's castle or home, either will do. I was alone, but I didn't mind, besides Rarity had to finish up an order for a big client or something. My gut was telling me that most, if not all, of the other girls left and as the saying goes 'Sixty percent of the time, it works all the time.'. I looked up at the summer sky and saw a couple of pegasi moving clouds around, giving the sky a partly cloudy look. I walked over to a bench, took a seat and watched them. It was weird how they could just 'do' the weather, I mean if I had control of the weather it would be nothing but sixty degrees and partly cloudy; I guess a day of rain here and there.

"Howdy Dan." Big Mac said, a piece of wheat hanging out his mouth. How he could be dead silent, while six and a half feet tall and built like a brick shithouse was beyond me. But I was distracted so, I'll let it slide.

"Hey Big Mac. What's up?"

"Nothin' much, jus' picking up some food. What about you?"

"Watching the pegasi work." I said, pointing in their general direction.

He cocked an eyebrow at me. "What?" I asked, "On Earth, the weather controls itself so seeing peo- ponies moving the weather around is new to me."

"Really? Mighty strange world ya lived on." He said before quickly adding "No offense."

"Strange is a relative term, to me the weather moving itself is normal." I said, he just 'hmmm', said goodbye and left. I figured I should probably do the same and go meet up with Twilight or something. I still had to find a job and find a place to live, the tank could handle the second part for now.

I stood in front of the door trying to figure what to do. Do I knock? Do I walk in? The locals call it a castle, except for the fact that's it's massive, there are no moats or drawbridges leading to a one out of ten on the castle scale. I've never been to a castle, but they usually have guards outside of them and there is a distinct lack of guards here. I'll play it safe and knocked . I waited a minute and Twilight answered the door.

"Hey Dan," she said "C'mon on in." She waved me in.

"Thanks Twilight." I said, my gut was right on that everyone had left, leaving me and her alone.

"How was Rarity's?" She asked

"You mean after the fact I was half-dragged through town? Not bad, got a new set of clothes so I can't complain. What'd you do?"

"Cleaned up after the girls left. I have a question, if you don't mind." She said

"Go ahead."

"Would it be possible to see you use the tank?" She asked, the way she said it was weird but whatever.

"You mean like me driving it around somewhere?" I asked to double check.

"No, no." She said quietly "Like the cannon being used."

"I've never fired the cannon before, but yeah, not like I have anything better to do. Is there someplace far from town we can go for it?" I didn't want to ruin the early morning atmosphere, but even a mile away the cannon would still be heard.

She rubbed her chin for a moment, "How about Ghastly Gorge?"

"I don't know where that is, but why not. I'll just need you to give me directions." I said and we left the castle. A few steps away from the castle doors, a gray and blue blur slammed, slid and stopped in front of us.

"Are you okay Ditzy?" Twilight asked the pegasus woman who wiped out.

"I'm fine!" Ditzy said, while standing. She had golden eyes, which I noticed were looking in two different directions, grey fur and blonde hair. Her outfit reminded me of a mailman and the bag filled with what appeared to be letters only confirmed my thoughts. She handed Twilight a letter, who floated back inside, and the mailwoman took off, flying haphazardly.

I climbed in, while Twilight tried to use her magic, the bow gunner hatch rose a few inches, before being dropped back down.

Twilight was completely stupefied by that. "I'm the Element of Magic for Celestia sake!" She said "Why didn't my magic work." She asked me, I just raised my hands.

"Don't ask me, I'm from a magic free world."

"That's it!" She cried out "maybe my magic doesn't work because this has no magic in it."

"You lost me here, how can it have magic in it?"

"Think of it like...." She began to say "fishing, pretend my horn is the pole and the object or pony is the fish."

"So you tie string around your horn and bait them?" I joked

"Wha- No! I mean like my horn has a hook and the object has a hole, the 'hook' goes in the 'hole' and would bring it towards me. But your tank would have no holes." She explained, the fishing metaphor helped.

"So I'm immune to magic?" I asked

"Maybe, perhaps you may need more time on Equis, or you have a strong resistance to magic." She suggested

"Cool." I said, as she opened the hatch and climbed in.

We've been driving for a few minutes, I followed her directions. Most ponies stared at the tank as we rumbled down the roads.

"Over the next hill and we'l-" CLANG! Something slammed into the turret, I hope it wasn't that clutzy mailwoman I see around town. The turret hatch opened up, pouring sunlight in.

"Hey guys!" Dash said, as she sat in the commander's seat "What's up?"

"Dan's going to show me how his tank works." Twilight explained

"No fair!" Dash cried "Did you make him do it because you're a princess?"

I looked at Twilight "You're a princess? This never crossed anyone's mind to tell me that."

"I don't like to brag about it." Twilight said

"I'm a human and I don't go bragging about that. What are you the princess of? Don't Princess Celestia and Princess Luna run the country?"

"Yes, but they're also Princess of Day and Night, respectively. My sister in law, Princess Cadence is the Princess of Love."

"And what are you? Are you a princess because you have a horn and wings?"

"Friendship and no, I became a princess when I after I unlocked the chest of Harmony and deafted Tirek." Twilight explained. "We're here!" I'll have to ask about all that other stuff she mentioned.

I crawled back to the gunner's seat and looked through the gun sight, the gorge was nothing special, just a big ass crack in the surface and some odd holes in the walls, probably from mining.

"Where should I sit?" Twilight asked. This is a three man turret, and I needed the loader's seat now and the gunner's seat in a moment.

"Just wait a moment while I decide what to shoot." I said. Armor piercing shells would do nothing against rock, other than make a new hole. High explosive would be the best bet and white phosphorus was ruled out entirely.

I realized that I have a finite supply of shells; maybe. The machine guns are infinite, but only after night, otherwise I stuck with an empty smooth box. Maybe the shells are like the ammo boxes and reload when no one is looking or I have a limit on them. I otherwise would have turned my extremely limited knowledge on magic and assumed there is a duplication spell, except magic wouldn't work on any of my stuff.

"One HE shell coming up." I muttered to myself. The issue was the breech was still closed

"Hey Dash?"

"Yea"

"Can you pull that gray handle for me please?" I asked. The breech opened and I slid the shell into the cannon. I never fired the cannon before, so this was all new to me. I told Twilight that she can join us in the turret. I have a brief explanation of each type of shell. I looked through the gun sights and lowered the cannon down a little to line up on the line.

"There's two buttons, one fires the coax thirty cal and the other fires the cannon." I said, talking about the little box the gunner steps on to fire with. I tried one and received a short burst from the machine gun. I noticed the girls' ears lowered slightly in reaction to the noise.

"Oh and cover your ears and keep your hands away from the back of the turret." I said, covering mine "On the way!" I yelled and stepped on the correct button. The tank jerked backwards and the shell casing flew out as the breech came backwards as well. My ears were ringing a little and the girls had their ears still covered.

That.... was.... AWESOME!!" Dash shouted, wincing a little at her own loud voice. I looked into the sights, only to see a cloud of smoke and dust rising from the canyon wall. I slid back down to the driver seat, I glanced at the gas tank dial or whatever it's called. It was three-quarters full, which isn't all that worrisome, yet. I didn't know what type of gas the tank runs on. Is it high-grade diesel? The M1 Abrams use jet fuel, which is badass.

"Homeward bound?" I asked

"Yep." Twilight said. I spin around and left my mark on the world behind Ha! Get it. Mark and it's a shellhole I thought to myself.

I heard a ringtone go off, I almost reached for mine until I remembered that I had no service due to a distinct lack of Verizon cell towers on the planet. Another ringtone joined in, the two went back and forth a few times, except the typing sounds effect, like when your phone isn't on vibrate or silent, except it was more typewriter like, but my ears were still ringing a little bit so I chalked it up as ear pain.

"Is everyone gonna wonder what that loud boom was, 'cause we didn't go very far from town." I said

"We should be fine, everypony will think it was Pinkie and her party cannon." Twilight said

"Her what?"

"Pinkie has a canon she uses from time to time to quickly set up parties." She explained, I vaguely recalled hearing a 'boom' of some sort prior to my party on my first day in town.

"Yea!" Dash said "I wouldn't be surprised if she threw a party for you because of this."

"Excellent, now I have to drive back and forth showing off the gun, until I run out of gas or tank shells." I said, I was still trying to understand why I got sent here with this thing. I like history, especially World War Two, but I'm not from that time period so either someone from the 1940s should be here or my tank should be an Abrams.

Regardless, I'm not at home, which is the main thing.