• Published 10th Apr 2016
  • 11,636 Views, 627 Comments

The Guardian - NYChris824



When a Marine wakes up in a vintage tank in a forest, he finds himself out of place and his world.

  • ...
60
 627
 11,636

The Plan

Author's Note:

I'm not sure how big this fight scene is going to be. I'm tempted to break it up as usual, but also keeping all together seems better. I don't have a release date since I'm not even sure how big it's going to be. Obviously since the 'June of 2018' chapter is out plus I have maybe 800 words down and I'm not fully sure where I'm going. I'd say mid-July, hell maybe even early July if I break it up.

Also don't regret the meme reference, I wish I could work in the teeth.

"I think when we get back. I'm going to write a letter to the Princesses." Awe said to me.

"What for? Tell them we made contact with the changelings?"

"That, but this thing goes all the way up. This changes the plan up a bit, we were supposed to expect a few dozen wanting freedom. Not the entire damn hive."

"For you. I'm going after the big bad queen. Speaking of which, when I get back I'll draw up the
plans. I'm thinking it'll take about three hours to go to that hive. I'll have to also make some noise on the way in, get some attention. Plus all that sand being kicked up would make us visible for miles."

"If you don't think you can make the attack on your own, keep your distance and raid them. Run interference on them entering and leaving."

"Honestly, I am kinda concerned. Obviously reinforcements would go to where the queen is. I'd have to attack the hive while holding off an attack. Caesar did that in Gaul, he sieged a town, then built a wall to hold off reinforcements. He was sieging while under siege himself. He won both battles. I'm not at that level."

"Yeah, takes a special leader to pull that one off. You know what else I realized? We're basing this all off of if she can communicate changelings from other hives."

"She's gotta have people there watching the hives, otherwise they would technically be free. She talks with her people, they tell that hive's leader. If they don't follow her orders, something bad will happen to them. I promise you."

I sighed, "So now, maybe it will take an extra couple minutes for reinforcements to leave? But also maybe not. I mean, her realizing an attack was happening, talking to her people, them going to the captured hive's leader and telling them to send help. Which also may or not not be delayed on purpose by that leader." We pulled back into the base, I dropped him off close to his command center. "I'll come up with a plan and be back tonight."

"Not tonight. Me and Bomb will make our plans since we depend on each other, but if I need you, I'll let you know. But come by tonight at eight and we can all talk about the operation." We exchanged goodbyes and I left, heading back to base. When I arrived and climbed out of the truck I realized I never got the name of the head changeling queen. I went to the command center, a big tent with maps, finding David inside.

"How was it?" He asked.

"Interesting. We have a job to do and we have to start planning. We're running all the way to the most western hive and causing a distraction or attack. Maybe both."

He turned to the map, "Where?"

I drew the rough location of each hive on the map. "We have to go all the way up here."

"We also have get their attention and make them send reinforcements to protect the queen. We just need to make sure they see us. Where's everyone else?"

"Michael is resting and James went out on patrol. He should be back in twenty. I've been messing around, mostly doing nothing."

I stared at the map and David walked over. He offered an idea, "What if everyone goes a different way around them? One big shock at once instead of small shocks as we drive by single file."

"I definitely didn't want to drive single file again, no one will be able to see. Plus we'll look like a small sand storm. But we have to make our way all the way up here." I pointed to the leader's hive. Then we have to find a way in or maybe someone can tell us how to get in. One of these hives, the rebellion goes all the way to the top. Only issue is that the big queen has people there to do what she wants."

I wondered if Awe could get reinforcements for us. I drew three lines, one on the left, one down the middle and of course one of the right. We'd drive through their lines and head for the queen's hive. Then find a way in and have battalions from Third Brigade guard the entrances. We'd have to fight quick enough before reinforcements arrived, in a foreign city with no intel.

My hope for a hundred or less dead were quickly dashed. I'd be lucky for less than six thousand dead. Maybe I would be better off just surrounding them and waiting for backup. I rubbed my neck.

"Christ, you fought in a place like this? This place blows worse than a toothless whore." James said as he walked in.

"And Michael, but he was a fly-boy. You're just in time, we have to plan our attack." I could've sworn his face paled.

"It's time." He said, not asking. He looked at the map, "This the plan?"

I shook a hand and gave a noncommittal grunt, "Maybe. We just hatched this now and chances are it'll probably be changed around."

"Operation Haul Ass, huh? I like it."

"If the plan goes through as it is, you'll be pulling guard duty on the outside against probable enemy reinforcements." I let out another sigh, a cigarette sounds amazing. We spent another half hour planning any little issue that may arise, since the trip north was planned. Anything from an attack from the third and fourth hive on the way up to where to put any prisoners or if we capture the queen.

"What would the inside look like?" James asked, "Like is it a normal looking city or just a giant ant hive with lots of tunnels and dead ends and shit."

"If I had to guess, maybe a large town, but maybe with a large dome so it doesn't feel cramped. Or the roof could be twenty get above the tallest building, which could be a few stories. Until we get that intel, we're blind. I think we have a good plan."

"Hey, uh speaking of going blind. Did it get darker out? It's way too dark for it be a cloud in front of the sun." James realized. To be fair, the green canvas made to difficult for light to enter, but it did seem darker. I went outside and looked around. The sun could be seen, the issue was a giant dust cloud hiding it.

"Sandstorm!" I yelled, "Take cover inside, cover your face with a shirt. Sandstorm!" Even before I started to yell, I could hear others yelling. "Get inside!" A few ran to me and went into the command center and I kept yelling at everyone to hide. When I felt the first few grains hit me, something told me to go back inside.

I quickly tied the string on the tent together and turned around. Inside were seven men along with the three of us.

"You ever get shit like this?" James asked.

I shrugged, "Seen a few small ones and got hit by one. Afghanistan is pretty mountainous so they couldn't roll for too long. This will probably be over in ten. I can guarantee your father was in at least two."

"How are they formed?" One of the men asked.

"No clue. Probably high winds and wonky atmosphere conditions. I've seen a few of them, this one will be over in ten minutes."

"This may had a bad time, but I gotta pee." One of the other men said.

"Two options," James said, "Hold it or make a run or the latrines. Or the side of your CO's tent." We shared a laugh at his joke.

We sat around for a half hour waiting for waiting for the storm to calm down. I spent most of it thinking about sandstorms, like if any other part of the line was getting it. What does the edge of a sandstorm look like? Was it just sand then open air or something?

"I think it died down." Someone pointed out and went over to the tent flaps. "It's gone sir. It's sunny and clear out here."

"Alright, everyone out. Get some sleep, if you didn't get some in here. Sand is probably softer than the beds." I watched as everyone walked out, except my colonels.

"Now what?" James asked.

"I need to see if General Awe ever got in contact with me. We're meeting up again with General Shell to finalize our plans. Then, we'll be on our way."

I stepped out into an extra five inches of sand. A good sanding always cleans everything. I walked across the sandy street to the radio tent.

"Any radio calls in the last hour?" I asked the aptly named Lieutenant Radio Wave.

"Yes, just before that sandstorm hit us. He wanted you to head over to his post and work on the plan at nine. He might have mentioned something about a letter, but the storm hit and we lost all contact." I nodded at the answer. Maybe we will be getting some help.

"Oak Actual has a message for Sandman Actual. Out." The radio called out, one of the operators picked up.

"Go ahead with that message Oak Base, out."

"Relay to Sandman Actual that Canterlot is coming tonight. Over and out."

"Roger that. Over and out." The radioman replied as he wrote down the message. I was surprised that a princess, assuming the code word for a princess. He turned around to hand the message off when he saw me. "Did you hear that, sir?"

"Yes, a princess is coming down. The question is which one." I would bet on Luna since since this was a military matter, but if a queen wants peace, then Celestia would be coming. Maybe both would come.

I checked my phone, it was five, three hours to burn until the meeting. The plan was, well, planned out and would. We would need a few tweaks to mix with the other plans. Bringing someone else would be nice, maybe Michael. I started to make my way back to my own tent, nap after all of today would be pretty nice.

Sitting outside his tent, peeling an orange, was David. Without looking at me he asked a question. "Does nature realize that oranges are already presliced? No other fru-"

I stopped him there, "I'm taking a nap. If you see Michael let him know he's coming with me to the meeting. It's at eight." I immediately ducked inside and got on top of the cot.

The heat was unbearable with seventy pounds of gear on. Of course even without it'd be horrible, it was a balmy one hundred and five in the shade. More than once I was tempted to take out my back armor plate. Knowing my luck I'd get hit in the back.

I peered out the window, watching people pass by and the occasional dirtbike go by. I watched one by as it passed our little convoy. Two men were riding on it. When they reached the Cougar leading the convoy, the passenger reached in and pulled out an AK. We watched him shoot at the vehicle, unable to penetrate it. We couldn't shoot him, too many people and he right next to the Cougar, preventing anyone from hitting him. Instead the driver of the Cougar rammed the dritbike and it went down. The HUMVEE right behind them couldn't stop and went right over the men and bike. A leg was kicked up and landed on our hood.

We all stared at it for a moment before the driver slammed on the brakes and the leg flew off.

I awoke with a slight start, a good old fashioned PTSD attack was the highlight of my sleep. I rolled over and checked my phone, six forty. A quick shower is next, although I'd be back to a pool of sweat in ten minutes. Plus the water would be air temperature, so it's already hot. I sat there pondering the point of showering in the desert. Normally, no one would say anything since we all stunk equally. But being in front of royalty warrants a shower. I got up and marched to the showers. This way if I did smell of sweat I could claim I showered before the meeting.

After the shower, after drying off my body, I was back to the same level of wetness as I was before. An hour was all that remained before the meeting. I had to grab Michael since he was the second in command and I was going to stay out of the hive unless shit in the fan. But, then again, maybe not. Nothing is stopping me.

I found him in his own tent, reading a book. He looked up at me.

"Hey Dan. What can I do for you?"

"Well, as my second in command, you're coming with me to the meeting tonight. It's in an hour. Also one of the princesses are coming."

"Okay. I'll be ready by than. I've got nothing better to do anyway." With that, I left his tent to burn another half hour.

I went over to the motor pool and gave the order to fuel up all trucks, since I wasn't sure when the attack would begin and grabbed one for the quick trip over. Another issue was bringing up the support units, namely which one and where they would be. Being surrounded means we can't pull over and set up a hospital or an ammo dump.

I checked the time, seven forty. Time to head over. I cut back across the camp and over to Michael's tent and walked in, "You ready?"

"Yeah. Guess I should have packed my dress uniform."

"I've been sweating all day and I've been wearing a t-shirt. I don't need to wear a tie and hat that doesn't block the sun. Come on. I'm driving." He rolled over and stood up. We walked out and to the motor pool, past lines of trucks waiting to be fueled and serviced. We jumped in the truck and I glanced out the window.

"Look at this." I uttered, "We are a part of history. We are the two highest ranking officers in the planet's first division that can go hundreds of miles in a day. Plus being apart of this campaign, peace between two races."

"You mean being fucking aliens wasn't enough?" Michael asked.

"Oh my God, can you let me ponder on this moment, please?" I shot back and started up the engine. We pulled out of the pool and drove around the camp. We slowly drove through the Tenth's camp as I attempted to remember where the command tent was. Then I saw two alicorns walking through the camp.

"Bingo." I said, as I turned onto the sandy street to stalk my superiors to the tent. The headlights lit them up and they turned to look at the light. I waved a hand on the window at them, they waved back and kept walking, they probably don't know who was driving.

"Please don't pretend to run them over or ask with they're prostitutes." Michael asked.

"I was tempted to rev the engine, but now that you mention that." I laughed darkly. Instead they went into a tent. "Found the tent. Also, quick run down on the attack I have planned, we haul ass to the queen's hive. Make a bunch of noise so they know we are coming." I turned off the engine, "Then we arrive and encircle it, however you and David will send your brigades down into the hive and capture the queen. Maybe you kill her instead, who knows. Meanwhile James and I hold the perimeter."

"Sounds good to me. How come you're not going in?"

"It's my first time leading. Need to be focused." I explained as we stepped into the tent. Inside was everyone else and we saluted. I noted that no one else had an aide with them. Everyone was gathered around a table in the middle, no doubt having a map on it.

"Good to see you both again." Princess Celestia said. "Let's get this meeting underway. General Awe, how high does this," she paused for a moment, "freedom movement go?"

"Indeed, your letter said it goes all the way to the queen in one hive. Do you know about any other hives?" Princess Luna added in.

"In this hive, it goes to the very top. With the others, well it's unknown because none of the hives interact with each other. They all could want freedom or not a single one wants to be free. We're going in blind."

"What's is the plan of attack?" She asked. Awe nodded to Shell and he picked up.

"Awe and I will attack the first two hives, somewhere around here." He pointed to two spots on the map near an oasis. "Meanwhile, General Kroger here and his men will bypass all of them and aim directly for Chrysalis' hive way behind the others."

"That seems a bit risky. What's the purpose?"

"We hope having a couple thousand trucks drive over their heads will let them know something's up." Awe explained. "Chrysalis keeps control over the other hives with her own changelings in the other hives,we think. This let's her keep power and make demands. Demands for food and troops, which is why she had so many to attack Canterlot. We hope they will hear it and send help, which will take a few days to arrive."

"This seems rather risky, Kroger, you'll obviously be cut off from any help. Are you confident in this plan." Celestia asked.

"Absolutely. I created a plan to handle just about everything, I'm calling it Operation Fury Road. If we run into any issues while making our run we'll keep going. We're going down the middle and nothing can stop us. I plan to send the first and second brigades while third holds the perimeter. They use tunnels they go in and out. If we can't hold them outside, we go inside and they get slowed down. Set a few traps maybe."

"Excellent, what do the hives look like? Any information about that?"

"Not yet." Awe answered, "But we will soon. Speaking of which excuse me."

An aide popped in the tent and they quietly talked. He disappeared for a moment before letting two ponies in. One was Marble Shine and the other was Twilight. Or rather looked like her. Once the aide left and tent flap lowered, they revealed who they were. 'Twilight' was actually a changeling version of an alicorn.

She bowed slightly, "Your Majesties. I am Queen Pollux."

The two princesses returned the bow, "It is good to meet you." Celestia said.

"Before we start, I'd like to apologize for my hive's role in the attack on Canterlot. We had no other choice, but to part of the attack."

Despite the reminder of the attack, Celestia didn't seem overly upset, "It's alright, we didn't even know there were more than one hive."

That got a nod from Pollux, "Also, if it means anything, my hive uses passive means of gathering emotions. Most hives do. Chrysalis and Nocturnal kidnap ponies and use them."

"What methods do you use and why do they use force to gather emotion?" Luna asked.

"I have changelings disguised as ponies and they walk around, gathering emotion in the air. Some are actually rather famous and have other drones in the crowd to gather emotion. Two famous one are Life Story the comedian and Bone Apple the chef. But Nonturnal must gather much more emotional energy because she attempted her own rebellion a few years ago. It failed and her hive was put down hard."

"I've seen Story a few times." Luna said, "I never would've guessed that about her."

"Where is her hive?" Shell asked, that must be the one he's going to.

"Here, ours are close by." She stared at the map for a moment. "Mine is actually here and hers is here. I believe." The good news was that they weren't too far apart. Two out of five wasn't too bad considering we had no clue. "The others I'm not too sure about, we don't exactly have weekly meetings."

"That's two out of five, make it easier to reach you Kroger."

"Yeah, maybe I can wait before I make my own attack." If two hives were leaning to freedom, that would be less time there and quicker to the next two. "I can spare a day, make more noise." I turned to Pollux, "How does Chrysalis communicate with those in the other hives?"

The fact I wasn't a pony meant nothing to her, she didn't react to my none pony face. I wonder if she could now be a human. Or would she look like me? "With the hive mind. Basically a queen can give orders to any amount of changelings, that will be carried out for however they are told to. Of course, I could just speak to them to do it. That's why I do with my harvesters. It carries a rather far distance, I never tried how far it goes."

"How many, if you could guess, in your hive want freedom?" Celestia asked.

"Out of the five hundred thousand in my hive, about four hundred and eighty thousand. The others are riding the fence, so to speak. Once they see what is happening, they'll join."

"Excellent." Awe said, "getting back to the task at hand, here's what I suggest for the attacks, following all of this new information."