• Published 8th Jun 2012
  • 1,111 Views, 5 Comments

5000 Years Of Hope - Figments



A writer is banished from hometown and finds others who will help her fight to end slavery.

  • ...
3
 5
 1,111

Misconceptions, Part I

Ever since the Sisters fell
And the world was dark and gray,
Ao came with the knell
And sent the demons away.

—The First Sign

<————————————————————————>

“Well, you can take your damn offer and shove it up your flank!” The glass door burst open with such ferocity that it was nearly ripped it off its hinges. Ari stormed out into the hallway, gritting her teeth. “Three job offers, and all I get asked to do is beginners editorial work,” she muttered under her breath. “Did my six long years at Haven University just disappear from record?”

“Ms. Prose, wait!” a tall pegasus called out, sticking his head out into the hallway. Ari had, by that point, turned the corner and was out of sight. He sighed in defeat and turned back into his office, slowly closing the door behind him. He took a seat in his large leather chair and unfurled his long beige wings. It felt relaxing, finally letting them breathe in the calm breeze that flowed into the room through the window behind him. Yet the noise of the building, the rustling of papers, and the obnoxious arguments of the staff outside his office neglected his ears a moment of rest.

A buzzing rang out in the calm air of the room. His left foreleg vibrated, causing him to look down at the mechanical bracelet around it. The white orb embedded within it was blinking on and off rapidly. “Another call.” He groaned. “I'm not in the mood for this.”

“Answer.”

At his command, the speaker of the device scratched through static for a few seconds before a muffled voice came in. “Did she accept the job?”

“No, she didn’t.” The pegasus sighed. “I don’t understand; why do you need her at such a low level? Her credentials were enough to justify—”

“If she was given a better position, then she would get into trouble. Do you know how my superiors are with ‘trouble?’ They would kill me.”

<————————————————————————>

“I just don't get it!”

“Don't get what?” Zero replied. He tinkered away with the mechanical contraption on Ari's right fore-leg, using a trio of clawed appendages that protruded from a similar device on his. He didn't bother to look away from his work to listen closely to her, he just continued to stare intensely at the marvelous contraption, examining its intricacies.

“Why can’t I seem to find a decent job?” Ari sighed, blowing a strand of her blonde mane away from her face.

“But you've been given great offers. Why don't you just take one already?”

“Because I didn't work my flank off mastering the art of language just to be given an editing position at Haven Press!” Ari groaned. “It seems like the whole world is trying to bring me down.”

“Don’t be so dramatic.” A small spark jumped out of the device as Zero jiggled a few wires. “So what if it’s just editing? It’s still a job—you should be happy with anything you get.”

“Damn it, Zero!” Ari slammed her hoof down onto the metal table, making her wince. The sound reverberated between the metal walls, drowning out the noise of the streets a bit before dying out. “I don’t tidy up life; I create it!” She bit her lip to prevent a small whimper of pain from escaping.

“Stop fidgeting!” Zero frantically held down Ari’s right leg. “You’re going to make me break something and you’ll be out of luck if you want to get another protus!”

“If you break it, I’ll beat your flank,” she scoffed.

Zero chuckled a bit, then resumed his repair work. “Yeah, that’s definitely going to happen.”

“You know it.”

“Why can’t you just upgrade to a newer Scribe Class protus?” Another spark hopped on out, landing on Zero’s leg. He recoiled. “Stupid little--whatever. I don’t want to have to fix this piece of junk all the—”

“Are you done yet?”

Zero paused for a second. “Almost.” He slowly lifted a thin black strip out of the open device and pulled it free. “There.” He closed the open panels, a few small clicks ringing out as they locked in place. “Done.”

“What was wrong with it?”

“A power strip had gotten loose, and the leak was causing it to malfunction. Should be fine now.” The appendages of Zero’s protus retracted.

Ari closely examined her protus. Its white communication orb was dull and unpowered. “Doesn’t seem to be.”

Zero rolled his eyes. “Just turn it on.”

Ari narrowed her eyes at him. She looked down to the protus, the glint of the metal flashing only for a second under the fluorescent lights. “I don’t trust you, but I can’t afford another one.”

“Then what’s stopping you?”

“I have no idea.” She slowly pressed the orb down, a small click sounding out. Whirring buzzed through the air as the orb began to flicker on. Four lights appeared around it. They grew brighter by the second, forming a holographic image no bigger than a postcard above the protus.

“See? I told you it’d work.” Zero sighed and walked over to a workbench in the corner. He began to fiddle with a large circular lock.

Welcome back, the electronic voice of the protus’ system scratched through its small speakers. Ari focused her attention to a small indicator that flashed repeatedly on the bottom left corner of the image.

“Open new mail.” The image warped and twisted as the message appeared before her.

“You got something new?” Zero called out over the noise of his protus’ welding torch.

“Yeah.” Ari shouted.

“Well, what’s it say?”

She leaned against the iron railing behind her as she quickly skimmed through the short message. “That damn employer wants me to attend a dinner party at the Provincial’s home to talk about another offer.”

Zero stopped what he was doing and turned towards Ari with astonishment. “What was that?”

“I’m not going to repeat myself, you know.”

He sighed. “Yeah, I heard you, but I don’t understand. Did you say ‘the Provincial’s home?’”

“Yes,” Ari said.

Zero felt like passing out. He flew over to Ari and planted his hooves firmly onto her shoulders, the clawed appendages of his protus digging slightly into her skin. “You’re going to that party.”

“Wha—Why? He’s pretentious! I mean, look at the message!” Ari began speaking in a low mocking voice. “Ms. Articulate Prose, you are hereby invited to—”

“Shut it,” Zero snapped. “I don’t care if he’s equal to a pile of shit.” He glared menacingly into her grey eyes. “You. Are. Going!”

“No!”

“Yes, you are. For two reasons: because you need a job, and because it’s the freaking Provincial! You know, the stallion in charge of Haven, second only to the Emperor?”

“Yeah, I know. Why are you so hard-pressed on me getting a job anyway?” Ari shook Zero off and backed up a few feet.

“Because I’m sick and tired of paying your half of the rent!” Zero sighed. “Look, I’ll make you a deal. Go and take his offer and you stay in the apartment.”



“Then good luck finding a new place without any money,” Zero said.

Ari was taken back. Reluctantly, she groaned in defeat. “Fine, I’ll go. But you’re coming with me.”

“No, no, no, no, no,” Zero said frantically as he shook his head. “I can’t go to a party at the Provincial’s house!”

Ari smiled coyly. “And why is that?”

“He’s my boss! I can’t attend social gatherings with my superiors! That’s bad work ethics.”

Ari headed for the large iron door that made up the warehouse’s entrance. “Fine then, I guess I’ll tell him about all that stuff you—”

“Don’t you dare say another word!” he sighed. “Okay, I’ll go with you. But you have to promise me something.”

Ari paused and turned her head towards him. “Oh? And what would that be?”

Zero snickered. “Wear something nice.”

<————————————————————————>

A calm air settled over the city as the evening hours approached. It was around six o’clock, the usual hour when Magenta settled down for the day. It was close to the weekend, but far enough away that the rush of customers wasn’t enough to frustrate her. She sighed, putting away the last few orders before the day’s end.

Four commissions in one week; what on Earth have I gotten myself into? she thought as the appendages of her Maker Class protus grasped onto a hot iron. She propelled it back and forth across a white suit and blew a strand of her red mane away from her face.

A small voice called out from upstairs, “Mistress Magenta, I finished filing the order forms!”

Magenta placed the iron in a large tub of water and the resulting hiss of steam died quickly. The appendages of her protus extended their reach, stretching over to the clothes rack and hanging the order. “Thank you, darling! But, before you retire to bed, can you clean up the sewing room? It’s an awful mess in there.”

“Yes, Mistress Magenta.”

The ringing of bells echoed throughout the spacious boutique, catching the dressmaker’s attention. She prepared herself at the front counter, frantically trying to make herself look presentable as the ornate wooden door slowly creaked open. “Hello, and welcome to—Ari? Is that you?”

The door closed behind the two of them. Ari spoke up, “Hey, Magenta.”

Magenta gasped. She flew towards Ari and wrapped her hooves around her in a tight hug. “It’s been so long, darling! How have you been? You should really visit more often, you know.”

“Can’t… breathe!” Ari gasped.

Zero chuckled. “Magenta, I think you should let her go now. She might pass out.”

Magenta blushed and then immediately released her. “Oh, I’m so sorry, Ari. Here, let me—”

No help… needed.” Ari breathed heavily.

Magenta sighed. “How are you two? It’s been a long time.”

Yes, it certainly has.” Zero looked over to Ari, who was still short of breath. “We were… busy, to say the least.”

The dressmaker smiled. “So, what brings you two here?”

We’re attending a party at The Provincial’s house

Did you say ‘Provincial’?”

Zero slowly nodded. “Yes… The Provincial’s

Magenta gazed coyly at Ari. “I never knew you were one for fancy parties like that.”

I’m not. Zero’s making me go.”

Oh? And why is that?”

Zero sighed. “She’s getting offered another job at that party, and I told her that I’m kicking her out if she doesn’t take it.”

Don’t you think that’s a tad harsh?” Magenta said. “You shouldn’t kick somepony you’ve known your entire life to the curb!”

“Yeah!” Ari chimed in agreement.

“But I suppose he’s right in doing so, Ari.”

Ari looked at Magenta in confusion. “What?”

He has a point. You need a good kick in the flank to get you going. You’ve always been like that.”

But—”

No ‘buts’,” Zero said, he looked towards Magenta. “Anyway, she needs something to wear. Something nice.”

Why can’t I just wear my usual clothes?”

Because, darling, this is The Provincial we’re talking about!” Magenta smiled. “Oh! I have the perfect thing for you to wear! Velvet!”

An earth pony filly trotted down the carpet stairs. Her sweaty forehead glistened under the fluorescent lights from her work. “Yes, Mistress Magenta?”

Would you be a dear and fetch me the garment I finished on Monday?”

The filly gave a weak smile and nodded, and then headed back up the stairs. Ari glared at Magenta. “I thought that you didn’t have any slaves.”

Don’t think of it as ‘slave,’ darling. That’s such an awful word. Just think of her as a ‘live-in assistant’. Besides,” Magenta chuckled, “at least it’s better here than being banished to those awful outlands.”

Don’t feed me that load of shit that the Emperor’s giving everypony. At least out there they’re free.”

Please, you two, stop arguing,” said Zero, his voice commanding attention yet receiving none thereof.

Magenta continued, “Well, if that’s what it costs for them to live, then so be it!”

There’s no price on living,” Ari said.

Stop this pointless argument right now!” Zero shouted. “You two are acting like little foals! You’ve been friends for years! And frankly, I don’t give a damn about this ‘slave’ shit. We came here to get some nice clothes, and that’s what I intend to do.”

Ari and Magenta glared at each other. Ever since they were foals, they had always been at each other’s throats. The noise of conversation filtered into the room through the open window above the door, carried on by a brief gust of wind that flowed throughout the boutique, rustling a few papers on the counter.

Ari couldn’t take the silence much longer.“I’m leaving. Meet me at the cafe when you’re done shopping.”

“Hey, wait a minute!” Zero called out.

Ari slammed the door behind her.

<—————————————————————>

“Why is it so hot out?” Ari said, wiping a small bit of sweat from her forehead.

“Why are you complaining?” Zero and Ari sat in wrought-iron chairs, cooling off underneath the shade of a red awning. Ari took her cup of water in the clawed appendages of her protus and brought it up to take a sip. The marketplace was unusually full for such a hot day, yet even in any kind of weather, it always managed to be packed with pegasi out to purchase any number of things.

“I’m not complaining. I’m asking a question.”

“Whatever.” Zero brought up his protus’ home screen and looked at his current balance. He groaned. “We’re down to only twelve bits thanks to Magenta. I barely have enough for food!”

“Well, you shouldn’t have spent most of it.” Ari smiled. “My regular clothes would be just fine, but you insisted on getting something nice.”

“Remind me to kill you later.” He looked out over the iron railing that surrounded the outer portion of the cafe they were in, the crowded marketplace nearly blocking his view of the other shops. It was an unusually hot day; the sun seemed to be closer to the ground.

“Ari, I don’t want you to act the way you did in Magenta’s anymore.”

“Why do you care? You’re not my mom,” Ari scoffed.

“Because I promised— Never mind.” Zero sighed. “Just don’t, okay?”

The sound of a bell rang out through the plaza, drawing attention to the raised wooden platform that stood in the center of the Marketplace. A tall stallion slowly ascended the stairs leading up to it, trying to look as distinguished as he possibly could. Following him were two others, presumably his assistants, who were much bulkier and conducted themselves onstage as such.

Using the appendages of his Captor Class protus, the stallion took off his fedora and gave it to the assistants, mumbling orders to them. They hustled offstage, leaving the stallion alone at the microphone.

“Hello, fellow pegasi! For many years, we at Haven Trading Company have devoted ourselves to quality of service as well as quality of product.” The crowd remained deathly silent. “Today, my associates and I are pleased to present you with the finest batch of slaves that have ever been caught near the Eden River.” He motioned for his assistants to come back up.

Slowly, they ascended to the stage, pulling four earth ponies along with them. Their muzzles were caged in iron and shackles around their midsections bound them to the strong rope the assistants used. The crowd began to laugh and rebuke, some cursing at them.

“Settle down, my friends. As you can see, they will not be able to harm you in any way.” He pointed a hoof at the slaves briefly. “As I was saying, this is the finest catch we have ever had the privilege of finding.”

“Let them go!”

The crowd turned their heads in the direction of the voice. Ari hovered in the air above them, steaming mad. She flew down to the stage, almost tripping on her landing and then faced the stallion. “I hate repeating myself, but I’ll say it again: let them go!”

“Young miss, didn’t your mother tell you to never mess with other ponies’ affairs?” He scoffed.

“If you’re not going to listen to me, then I’ll just free them myself.”

“Oh? And how do you plan on doing that?” The assistants readied their Defense Class Proti, the metal around the orbs beginning to shift into blades that shimmered in the dying light of the day.

Zero swept onto the stage, landing between Ari and the stallion’s burly helpers. “Look, I apologize for my friend’s actions. She can get a little nutty, but she means no harm.” He looked to Ari sternly. “Come on, let’s go.”

“Not until I get these ponies out of here.”

“Ari, don’t start this again. We leave, now.” Zero stammered.

Ari’s eyes became like cold steel, bearing down on Zero with ferocity. But he was unwavering. “Get out of the way, Zero. I’m not asking.”

“No!”

“Can you two please take your lover’s quarrel elsewhere?” The business stallion laughed, as did the rest of the crowd. “Mares and gentlecolts, please give a round of applause to our impromptu show!”

The crowd went wild with cheers and banter, the clopping of hooves ringing out in the open air for a few moments. The salespony approached Ari and whispered in her ear. “I don’t care what you’re trying to do. If you so much as attempt to free those idiotic beasts, I’ll have the Haven Aviary Guard smite you on my behalf. Then you won’t be helping anypony.” He chuckled. “Now, leave.”

Ari bit her lip. He’s right, she thought. I can’t help them if I’m dead. But I can’t just leave them here. I have to do something.

Zero placed one of his hooves on her shoulder. “Ari, just drop it and let’s go. This isn’t your fight.”

Ari sighed. I guess I have to wait, she thought. She followed Zero to the stairs, catching but a glimpse of the earth ponies who were so prominently put on display as a brute’s wares.

“You’d best be leavin’,” the shorter of the two assistants spoke up, “otherwise we’s is gonna have a big problem.”

Ari looked at one of the slaves, a short dark green mare. Her body appeared to be wounded, a few cuts and bruises visible in the dying light of the day. The mare’s deep hazel eyes pleaded to her, telling Ari just one thing:

They did horrible things to us.

That was all the incentive Ari needed. Before she continued on down the stairs, she quickly dashed to her right, slamming into the shortest of the two assistants and ripping the other end of the rope from his protus’ appendages.

She took off into the air. “Leave, now!”

“What do ya think you’re doin’?” The second assistant mumbled as he tried to keep the earth ponies from fleeing, pulling as hard as he could on his end of the rope. But the combined strength of them pulled it free from his protus, allowing them to gallop in unison away from the scene.

“What have you done now, Ari?” Zero mumbled to himself, taking off after her.

The salespony was left dumbfounded at the sudden turn of events. He didn’t dare to pursue Ari, knowing full well that his left wing would not allow it. “Guards! Guards! Find that mare! I want her head on a platter!”

Comments ( 4 )

New Story! Comment, like, favorite - all the things you good people do.

Mkays, it definitely has me interested. I do think we need bit more of a lead-up as to why, after living in this society for years, the main character is taking such bold action out of the blue as well as why society is how it is. I'm sure all of this is to be explained later, so up and at'em.

Interesting little world you've got there. Looks like I'm hooked.

Your review's finished: http://mlpchan.net/fic/res/145.html#157

Thanks for submitting!

Login or register to comment