• Published 8th Oct 2015
  • 8,244 Views, 943 Comments

Deer Me: Black Snow - The Psychopath



Gregary ends up in the hospital and is put into an artificial coma. Now he's the son of reindeer royalty and overhears something about betrothal for an alliance with a Crystal Kingdom. Good thing it's not him and he isn't in denial.

  • ...
56
 943
 8,244

Meeting most profound

Stelimus came galloping back towards his uncle after having seen him through the windows and memorized the location. He was exhaling loudly and seemed completely out of breath, and not just because he was inhaling and exhaling so loudly.

"Uncle...Grimliss. I found you," he wheezed.

"Ah, Stelimus. I'm glad to see you. I found a possible artist for my home." He raised a hoof towards the blue stallion. "This is Mix-Up."

"Uhhh--"

"And we're leaving. Goodbye." Grimliss bowed then grabbed the young stag, placed him under arm, and walked off with his bodyguards.

Stelimus started squirming about, intent on being free. "Leggo of me!"

"What for? Where were you?"

"I was in the hospital, being treated by some sort of giant aberration of reality." Stelimus dropped his head and pure terror covered his face. "Even H.P. Lovecraft could never come up with such things."

Grimliss raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Who?"

"Oh. Right. 'coma creations'," Stelimus whispered under breath. "An author of a creepy book series with some...ehm...worrisome creatures in them, shall I say."

"Well," Grimliss started. He put his nephew back onto the floor so he could better enjoy the festival. "I doubt they're as bad as the things I've seen."

"You're right. They're worse", Stelimus answered with an aggressive undertone.

"Humph." The stag looked up at the sun floating in the sky, its rays not affecting his eyes or lack thereof. "We still have a few hours before we have to meet the rulers. I suggest we walk around first. This way you'll get to know the ponies and I'll get to know more about their culture and different techniques for a wide array of areas, be they art or other."

"Could be interesting, after all. I'm fairly curious about what my mind has conjured. Hopefully I won't be seeing any other horrors like that. Sure. Why not?"

"Fantastic!"

The two started walking about, viewing many different crafts and plants. One of the herbologists there had a falling out with a botanist and both were fighting on the best way to grow plants in the most efficient manner. One suggested magic, the other suggested natural ingredients. Stelimus found that they both had valid points but were rather aggressive with their words and ideas. Grimliss was the only one watching them who was quite amused at the whole ordeal, recounting something about arena battles back in the day. He missed them quite a lot, making Stelimus question the sanity of his uncle. Another 'artist' encountered made Grimliss back away slowly and cover his nephew's eyes. The person in question was detained by the guards and taken away.

There was one thing that baffled Grimliss. Several plants and trees were fully grown and they were completely out of season, let alone location. Broccoli, honeydew, pineapples, peas, butter lettuce, spinach; These were plants that grow in spring, and the tundra didn't exactly have a distinction from winter.

"What is this? How?"

"You know plants? Stelimus looked up to his uncle.

"Oh yes. Not completely, but I know the basics of plants, especially the edible ones." Grimliss narrowed his gaze. "I must know who is the source of this...this impossible feat."

Stelimus hurried alongside his uncle, moving as best as his tiny, tubby legs allowed him, then hit one of the legs of the guards and fell backwards, rubbing his muzzle."Ow. Why'd you stop so suddenly?"

"Sister!" Grimliss shouted.

"Oh. Hi, Grimliss. What are you doing here?"

"Aunt Effervescence?" Stelimus spoke with a very nasally voice.

"Oh, and my little nephew is there as well!" She galloped forward and scooped him up in her forelegs before falling onto her haunches and nuzzling him. "You're still as cute as the first time I saw you."

"Oh God. It's like when my grandmother would see me for the first time in three months. Aunt. Stop. Stop it!"

His aunt lowered him just so she could show him her question and humored gaze. "What's the matter, Stelimus? Are you...embarrassed?"

"Yes."

She jerked her head back in surprise at how direct he was. He was certainly something special when it came to young stags."

"So, how come you're here, Effervescence?" Grimliss asked.

The doe put her nephew back on the ground and stood up to face her sibling. "Well, I come here every year."

"You do?"

"Of course I do! Look at all these plants here. They're gorgeous and beautiful, but I'm also one of the judges for the competitions concerning botany."

"I didn't know that!"

"You never leave your home. Of course you wouldn't know that!"

Grimliss looked away in shame and lightly kicked a bit of dust into the air. "So... do you know how these plants are fully grown and healthy right now?"

"Oh aye. It's this little mare here who did it."

The mare yiped in fear when the creepy eye sockets of Grimliss lowered around the corner to look at her. She was alabaster in color with a vertically double-toned mane and tail of dark blue and light blue.

"And who might you be?"

"I-I-I-I-I'm W-W-Winter Fields."

"Ah. A pony who can make plants grow out of season." The stag tapped his chin. "Can you make fruit trees grow fruits out of season?"

"Yes. It's part of my special talent. I learned a while ago that I'm best at developing new growth techniques for the plants I take care of."

"A sort of a green thumb, then?" Stelimus added.

The mare was confused. "Thumb?"

"Never mind."

"I suggested she come to work for me in my gardens considering how skilled she is." The doe proudly proclaimed.

"I've already told you that I can't. I have to stay here and try to help out the reindeer in the tundra to grow their crops."

Effervescence was disappointed, but she wouldn't have it and wrapped a foreleg around the mare. "Come now. I'm a God-King of the deer. Wouldn't it be better to work for one who takes such interest in your work, especially one who has such a connection to plants?"

Winter pushed the leg off of her and huffed. "I understand what you're saying and I'm really grateful for such an offer, but I'm more concerned about the well-being of the many rather than the personal tastes of a single individual."

Winter reeled back slightly in fear of the repercussions that might arise, but they never came. Instead, Stelimus stepped forward and talked to his aunt directly.

"Look, auntie. I understand that you like her a lot, but, unlike Play-Doh back there--"

"Mix-Up," Grimliss corrected.

"Oh. Riiiiight. That was a mistake." Stelimus stuck his tongue out. "I think growing food out of season is a bit more important than your personal tastes for having a little yellow flower over there rather than over here." Stelimus gestured.

"Why--"

"And you appear to be so full of yourself that you would take your own designer fashions in the stead of those in need? Shame on you." Stelimus pointed to his uncle. "My fucking uncle is a zombie and he has more heart than you, someone who is intricately linked and woven into the fabric of plant life and nature! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!"

Effervescence's ears started to flicker and her lower lip hid into her mouth. Her rage was boiling, and Grimliss knew it, but he also knew his sister better than she knew herself.

"I love you, aunt, but your power can't be used for your own needs when others have need for it more. Isn't that why you rule over your own country and people?"

The doe's anger subsided into, well, nothing. She was insulted, certainly, but she had no love to share with her nephew, either. "I see your point. I think you'll make a better ruler than your obsessive father." She turned around and didn't look back, but continued to speak. "I must continue on to the others and see what they've been creating and growing."

"You do that. It should give you some time to cool off." Grimliss suggested.

Once she went out of sight within the crowd, Grimliss smacked his nephew upside the head and then went face-to-face with him. "What's wrong with you?! You think she won't kill you just because you're her nephew?"

"KILL ME?!" Stelimus exclaimed. "What do you mean?!"

"Stelimus, she's the most precarious of us three despite what your father may appear like. She's the reason that two of your past sisters died."

"Sisters?!" The young stag clutched his head. "And what did 'dad' do?"

"Nothing."

Stelimus' forelegs just drooped and his mouth remained wide open. He was speechless.

"You have to understand that we have lived for a very, VERY long time. We haven't even remained with the same appearance and powers we had when we came to be, so the matters of life and death become muddled in the waters."

"But you look like you care!"

"I do. I don't look like this because I felt like it. It did allow me to see the previous things in existence. That being said." Grimliss narrowed his gaze and poked Stelimus in his small, fluffy chest. "Your vernacular is quite articulate for someone who is only five."

The stag laughed nervously and smiled sheepishly. "Really? I guess my reading of books really helped me."

"If anything, I'd say you've been alive for quite a bit longer and have seen much more than you let on, which would explain your usage of a more complex vocabulary, simplistic as it might seem to many."

"Ah, shit. I think he's onto me...wait a minute, what am I afraid of?"

"Excuse me. I don't want to be of trouble, but I would like to thank you for intervening there. I didn't know what I was going to do if she kept demanding that from me."

"Oh, uhh. You're welcome."

"And who are you?"

Grimliss stepped forward and bowed. "I am Grimliss, a God-King like the doe you just met. And this tiny stag here," The deer rubbed his nephew's head roughly. "is Stelimus Anglacite, son of King Anglacite of these tundras."

"THE son of King Anglacite?"

"Uh, yes?" Stelimus hesitated.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about potentially getting a job there. I really want to help your people grow better food and crops."

"Uhhhhh--"

"I'm sorry, miss, but until his father decides to lighten up about ponies, I'm afraid you won't get to do much over there."

"Maybe you can convince him?"

"I've been trying for centuries. It's not happening. However," Grimliss tapped his chin. "if you were to create good enough food up here in the north that properly keeps the reindeer fed, Anglacite just might lighten up enough to let you in and work under him."

"That would be a dream come true!"

"Then keep up the hard work. It will certainly bear it's fruit in the future." There was a long pause. "Get it? Fruit?" Grimliss pointed at one of fruit trees with a stupid grin on his face.

Stelimus face-hoofed. "Oh, that was awful. So awful."

Grimliss frowned and grabbed the prince by the collar and dragged him along. "Come now, nephew. Let's get into the castle before you attract anymore unwanted attention."

"Thanks again!" Winter Fields shouted.

Author's Note:

Winter Fields belongs to Chrome Masquerade.

Yes, Warrior. You will see your character, but as I mentioned before, he will have an important role later on (provided I don't forget the role).