• Published 23rd Sep 2015
  • 903 Views, 7 Comments

Daring Do and the Legend of Majorite's Mask - ZanyRaccoon



Daring Do is forced to team up with an earth pony named Epona on a rescue mission to retrieve an ancient mask of untold power.

  • ...
2
 7
 903

Legend of Majorite's Mask

Rapid terrified breathing, water softly dripping from stalactites onto the stone floor, and two sets of hoofs clopping along the very same stone floor were the only sounds to be heard in the large cavern. Two earth ponies were walking through the cavern towards an imposing underground palace. Lighting their way were a myriad of colourful gemstones embedded in the cavern walls which glowed from an unknown, yet presumably magical, source.

Leading the way was a middle aged stallion with a green coat, blue eyes, and a blond mane-tail combo. He strode purposefully towards the palace. His eyes blazing with confidence despite his limping caused by a bandaged and badly sprained hind leg. The confidence was not misplaced as the stallion was quite well-toned with a bow and quiver filled with arrows attached to his back and a comically large sword in a sheath strapped around his barrel. This was in contrast to the cartoony green cap worn upon his head, such a shade of green that at first glance many were fooled into thinking the cap was actually a part of his head. Finally, his cutie mark was of his unsheathed sword with his cap as its hilt, all surrounded with a thick black outline.

Following several hoofsteps behind was a young lady caught at the awkward age where she was a bit too old to be considered a filly yet still too young to be called a mare. She gave off an air of timidity as her gaze continuously flickered between the cave floor and the stallion in front of her. The off-white mane she bore spilled over her face covering one of her light bluish-grey eyes and a simple pair of saddlebags sat over her orange pelt upon her back. Emblazoned on the filly's flanks were three golden triangles forming a pyramid with a final upside triangle in the centre created by the negative space of the golden ones.

Despite her rapid, uneven breathing the younger pony managed to continue moving forward. Her breath hitched for only a brief moment when they finally reached the palace's massive entryway. But she pushed on and followed after the older stallion when he opened the large ornate doors for them.

Unfortunately, they barely explored the palace for ten minutes before she couldn't take it anymore and just stopped walking. Her breathing turned into hyperventilation and she couldn't keep from shaking like a leaf as her terror overtook her.

The silly cap wearing stallion immediately noticed however and turned to look back. Worry gleamed in his eyes as he quickly trotted back to her despite his limp. As soon as he reached her he wrapped his forelegs around her in a loving embrace. Gently his hoof stroked her back for a few moments before he spoke up just as gently. "It's okay Epona, I got you! You know you're always safe with me. So please calm down... please?"

Slowly and steadily Epona's breathing normalized thanks to his gentle ministrations and soothing scent. Yet she could hardly rein in her terrible shaking. "I-I'm sorry Link. I s-shouldn't have lost my nerve. It's just that this place is so unnatural, we're running low on supplies, and your leg is-"

"I told you my leg's fine!" Link snapped firmly before releasing a slow calming sigh, knowing he had to remain the voice of reason. "I mean, we can't go back now. We're already miles underground and so close! Let's just find the mask first. I promise I'll keep us both safe. You need to summon more of your courage."

"You know I don't have any courage Link." Her resigned, whispered tone barely audible as her watery eyes gazed at the stallions chest.

"That couldn't be further from the truth Epona." Link used the hoof not pressed against her back to slowly lift up her muzzle 'til her gaze locked with his. "You have far more courage, wisdom, and power than you think. That's why I-"

The statement went unfinished however when Epona suddenly screamed in horror at something behind Link. He spun around like lightning and stared with a cautious curiosity at the creature now before him. His head tilted slightly to the side as he uttered the only thing now presently on his mind. "Huh?"

Standing only a few pony lengths away was some sort of mostly reptilian creature. It was easily double the length of a full sized stallion as it stood crouched low to the ground with it's sharp claws splayed out. There were navy blue scales on its back, legs, and the top of its tail and dull yellow scales on its belly and the bottom of its tail. Spines were sticking out along its upper back and the tip of its tail. And it had jet black fur from its chest up covering its wolflike head, with a few violet streaks along its forehead. The creature narrowed its red, slit-pupiled eyes at the ponies and opened its gaping maw, bringing emphasis to a wicked set of fangs, as it emitted a menacing hiss.

Epona's shaking instantly intensified and her ears splayed against her head as she cowered behind the older stallion like a scared foal. "W-What is that thing?"

"I don't know for sure." Link adjusted his silly cap and crouched low to the ground with a cocky grin and an excited gleam in his eyes. "But it looks like this is going to be fun!"

The creature responded to the pony in the most unexpected of ways. By releasing a high-pitched giggle that could've put a hyena to shame. Then it spoke with a high-pitched yet still somewhat masculine voice. "My my, I do admire your foolish courage. But perhaps it would've been best had you heeded the concerns of that pretty little appetizer."

Epona whimpered as the creature stared at her while slowly licking its fangs with a forked tongue.

Link unconsciously sidestepped to shield her from the creatures gaze as his cocky grin grew larger. "Seems to me like you haven't noticed that I have a sword. A really big sword!"

The creature barely even spared a glance at the sheathed monstrosity of a sword. "Hmmm... Overcompensating for something perhaps?"

"That's it! You've just lost your head privileges." A now irate Link grabbed the sword's hilt with his mouth and pulled it from its sheath in one smooth, well-practiced motion, somehow managing to maintain his balance despite the sword's great girth and weight. He charged the creature as fast as he could on his three good legs.

Shaking like a leaf in a typhoon, Epona watched the two battle while frozen to the spot in fear. Her heartbeat galloping a mile a minute. Link had the clear advantage of bulk and strength but it was offset somewhat by his bad leg. The creature on the other hoof was faster and more agile by far. It seemingly effortlessly dodged strike and swing as it delivered its own barrage of claw swipes. Link unfortunately just could not dodge or block fast enough every time. Slowly yet steadily his body was being covered in cuts and scratches. All this Epona watched with wide eyes. She wanted to help, she so very badly wanted to help, but her body was frozen and her mind was blank. This persisted 'til the creature managed to gain the upper hoof by slamming Link to the ground causing the sword fly away and land out of reach. They briefly grappled before the creature bit Link painfully on his injured leg. While the stallion was distracted by cringe inducing pain, the creature wasted no time in leaping back and charging straight towards Epona.

With a terrified yelp Epona leapt backwards falling to her back as she curled up and began sobbing. "G-Get away from me!"

The creature just stood over the young mare with a look of disgust. "Tsk Tsk. Scream and huddle. Is that all? No fighting back? No running away? You are such a disappointing appetizer. Hardly even worth th-"

With an loud thud Link slammed into the creature and the two went tumbling. Unfortunately for the stallion he landed horribly on his injured leg and there was a sickening snap that filled the air. Howling in pain the stubborn stallion still managed to somehow pin the larger creature to the cave floor, thanks in no small part to his superior earth pony strength.

"Link!" Epona gaped in horror at the mangled, bleeding leg of the older pony. It became an effort of focus to hear anything over her own pounding heartbeat.

"I'm fine Epona." Link barely managed the words as he breathed heavily and clenched his teeth in agonizing pain. "D-Do me a favour and go. I don't want you to get hurt."

"But-"

"No buts! I'll be fine and I'll even come back with the mask."

"B-But Link I-"

"I promise okay. Please trust me." Link let out a hiss of pain as he stopped the struggling creature who nearly escaped from his grasp. "Have I e-ever let you down before?"

She hardly had to even consider the question before her body deflated in resignation and she let out a soft sigh. "O-Okay." With great effort Epona turned and walked away. Quickly it became a trot. And even quicker still it turned into a full gallop. The pounding of her hooves upon the stone-laden floor echoed greatly. Just not quite greatly enough to mask her sobbing.

As things within the palace slowly grew quieter once more the reptilian creature let out another of its spine-tingling giggles. "Do you really believe you can fulfil such a promise with that injured leg?"

Several moments passed before a hesitant response was given. "Probably not. But at least she's safe."

"Oh, how sweet you pretend to be. But not as sweet as your blood will taste upon my tongue."

Link growled in response and pushed as much of his weight down on the creature as he could muster. "I'm not pretending! I care deeply about Epona."

Now it was the creature's turn to be angry as it struggled against the earth pony with renewed vigour. "LIES!!! I'm sure your heart is as dark as whatever your true intentions are. And I shall protect my mask from all who desire it. And from all who would just let her die."

"Wait. Who are you tal-" Link suddenly had the breath knocked out of him as the creature successfully managed to squirm out of the stallion's grasp.

Without wasting a moment the creature pinned the pony down while letting out an ear-splitting hiss. Yet surprisingly its voice remained calm as the creature gazed down at the pony with a smug expression. "Bon appétit."

Before the pony could even try to escape the creature descended and bit its fangs right into Link's throat. He let out a gurgled scream as he fought a losing battle. But as he felt the blood leaving his weakening body, Link couldn't help but to maintain a small smile upon his muzzle. After all, he did still accomplish the most important task he always had.

He had kept Epona safe.

<--->

Meanwhile, Epona galloped as fast as she could. The tears in her eyes made everything a blur and it was a miracle she didn't crash into a wall. In her mind all she could see was the creatures eyes glaring into her soul as if it stood over her. All she could hear was its bone-chilling giggle as if it were whispering into her ears.

Her heart was beating so fast it hurt and there was a red tinge to her vision. She felt like she was going to die. But she couldn't stop. Not because of the monster though. She couldn't stop because Link needed her. But she, she was useless. She had just stood by and watched as the creature attacked him. She had to help him but knew she was useless to do anything. So she had to find somepony who could help.

And Epona knew just who to ask.

<--->

The Xenolith Labyrinth. Hidden miles underground, no pony quite knew large it truly was. Rumors said there was a great palace at the center where a mask awaits. The Majorite Mask; said to contain untold power and to be guarded by a terrible monster. There was no known record of the Xenolith Labyrinth's construction. Only records of its discovery ages ago. Yet still, despite all the time dedicated to the enigma, all that was known for sure was that the labyrinth was actually a maze and its unnaturally smooth walls were seemingly unbreakable. Embedded in these smooth walls were a myriad of colourful gemstones which glowed from an unknown magical source. Perhaps powered by the fabled mask itself?

At the moment the only sounds to be heard in the labyrinth were two sets of hoofs clopping along the stone floor, water softly dripping from stalactites onto the very same stone floor, and the gentle rustle of wings fidgeting.

Two ponies were walking through the maze. In the lead was a pegasus who adjusted her tan pith helmet and fidgeted her wings once more. Despite how often it happened to her the mare never truly felt comfortable spelunking. Her wings demanded the feeling of the open air. It also didn't help that she was quite bored after spending several hours with nothing to look at but the shimmering gemstones. They had been beautiful at first but had quickly lost their appeal. Still, she had always wanted to explore the Xenolith Labyrinth, but just hadn't expected things to turn out quite like how they had.

The pegasus stopped as she reached a fork in the road and looked back at her younger, orange, earth pony companion. "We don't have endless time kiddo. Which way?"

"Um, we should turn righ- No left! We turn left here." The younger pony paused as she nervously ran a hoof through her off-white mane before she spoke up again in a quieter voice. "I think."

"You think?" Her eye twitched and her wings fidgeted again as she tried to keep her annoyance at bay. She felt like yelling at the kiddo to just come on already. This was important!

"Uh, I-I think so Daring. I'm sorry, but I think so."

The older mare, Daring Do, just let out a deep calming sigh. "That's fine. I trust you. Now come on and pick up the pace for Link's sake."

"O-Of course. For Link!" And so the two continued at a slightly quicker pace down the left path.

The pegasus however was having trouble trusting her current companion. Sure the earth pony had successfully navigated the Xenolith Labyrinth once before, but it's difficult to have faith in a pony who practically jumped at her own shadow. Daring Do couldn't believe she was stuck 'foalsitting' Epona. At the thought she couldn't suppress a sad sigh.

"You okay, Daring?"

"Huh, what? Oh! Yeah, I'm fine." Daring Do replied with a quick, pleasant smile. But she couldn't shake the guilt. She never should have let Royal Flush get his hooves on the map. Where'd she go wrong? And even more importantly, how had this all begun?

...Oh yeah. It all begun for her at that bar where she was just chilling out, maxing, and relaxing all cool when...

<--->

The seedy tavern was already bustling with activity in the early evening as ponies, griffons, and various creatures sat at tables drinking, smoking, and gambling at a variety of dice or card games. The general background din consisted of glasses clinking, unintelligible murmuring, and a soft jazzy tune that would've actually been enjoyable if not for everything else.

Sitting on stools at the bar itself, Daring Do and a griffon sat facing each other with their forelegs locked in battle upon the bar. Their eyes were engaged with an intensity that could practically kill as they both strained to bring the other down. Surrender was not an option as the winner had to pay for the loser's drinks. Finally, after a several tense moments the griffons foreleg went down hard with a cry of pain. The resulting thud caused several glasses on the bar to rattle.

"Damn it!" The griffon hissed out lowly as he nursed his now injured foreleg. Then with a glare at the pegasus he paid for her drink before hobbling away on three legs.

Daring Do just laughed as she grabbed her finished drink right out of the bartenders hoof and chugged it. Then the dark khaki coloured pegasus stood up on the barstool on her hind legs and surveyed the tavern with her raspberry red eyes as her wings flapped gently to maintain her balance. With a hoof she pushed some of her six-toned grayscale mane out of her face and back underneath her pith helmet before she took a victorious pose and called out haughtily.

"Ha ha! Anypony else stallion enough to challenge the great and powerful Daring Do to a hoof wrestling match?" There was no response to the issued challenge other than a few wary glances in her direction. This only served to annoy her as she called out once more. "Come on! Are you all stallions or chickens?"

This time however her goading lead to one of the patrons responding. "Buck buck!" Several chuckles bounced around the tavern before Daring Do silenced them with a glare.

"Yeah yeah, very funny. You're all a bunch of big foals you know that?" With an exasperated huff Daring Do plopped back down onto the barstool and slammed her empty glass onto the bar. "Hey bartender! Another drink for me." She quickly glanced back before raising her voice. "And another round for this lovable group of skamps, on me!"

And so the tavern burst into a round of cheers, as expected.

The bartender, a pegasus himself, quickly rushed around to fulfil the massive order with a surprising amount of professional grace. "Sure thing Daring. But first, did you actually just call yourself 'great' and 'powerful'? Who does that!?"

"Huh? You know what, I think I did." Daring Do rubbed her chin with one forehoof while the other subconsciously adjusted her many-pocketed, dark olivine vest into a more comfortable position. "How much have I had to drink today?"

At that the bartender couldn't suppress a chuckle. "Far less than I know you to be capable of Miss Do. If you ask me the only thing you're drunk on is competition. And your unbeatable hoof wrestling streak certainly isn't helping matters." He gave her another drink, slid some more drinks along the bar, and took to the air to pass around several more before returning with many empty cups in need of being cleaned.

"Hay! Speaking of me winning, do you want to finally hoof wrestle me?"

"No thank you. Wings or no wings, I still need both my forelegs working for this job. Especially if a certain lovely mare keeps ordering drinks for everypony. Not that I'm complaining by the way." He stopped working for a moment to look her in the eyes and give a charming smile. "However, I may reconsider after I close the bar for the night. Perhaps we could go to my place, have some fine wine, and-"

"I don't think so." Daring Do spoke firmly before quickly chugging her latest drink in the vain attempt to hide the blush forming on her face. His smile had been quite effective. "You know what? This is the only bar I've been to where the bartender is the one trying to pick me up."

"Have you seen my other 'options' in this backwater town?"

Daring Do didn't even have to spare a glance back. "Point taken."

Before the bartender could turn his flirting up to eleven their conversation was interrupted by a commotion at the front of the tavern. The two pegasi, as well as most of the other patrons, turned to watch the struggle. An earth pony mare, who was a bit young for such a place, was trying her hardest to enter the establishment. Barring her entry to the tavern was a muscle-bound earth pony who was no doubt the bouncer.

"Hay, let go of me!" The young mare yelled while occasionally nipping at her oppressor. "I need- Daring, Daring Do, please I need you. Help me! It's an emergency!!"

"Can't you read the sign little missy? No one under the drinking age allowed. No exceptions!" The bouncer tried to pick her up but the nimble mare kept slipping from his grasp before he could get a good grip.

Meanwhile, the bartender learned in close to whisper to Miss Do. "She a friend of yours?"

"No. But she has certainly perked my interest." Daring Do whispered back.

"Hay, that's enough! Make an exception for her."

"But uhhh-" Failing to come up with a compelling argument the bouncer just let out a defeated sigh instead. "Yes boss."

Released from her oppressor the young earth pony bounded over to the bar in a heartbeat as the various tavern patrons slowly returned to their previous business. "Thank you so so soooo much!"

The bartender chuckled lightheartedly at the gratitude. "Don't mention it."

"So what do you want?" Daring Do asked while attempting to hold back a cough after catching a whiff of the young earth pony. She reeked of lavender. The older mare couldn't help but wonder why. The scent was so strong is seemed as if the younger mare bathed in pure lavender extract or something.

"Oh, Daring Do, it's really you! I'm Epona and I just can't believe it! I've always wanted to me-"

"What do you want!" Daring Do cut her off sternly. "There had better be an emergency which doesn't involve a woeful lack of my autograph."

Immediately Epona's expression dropped as she went from excited to frantic. The sudden shift was actually somewhat jarring. "It's Link, h-h-he-" And suddenly the floodgates were opened on her panic. "Themonster! Link'sallaloneandIneedyou! Idon't,whateverthepriceI'llpay! IjustwantLink-but-Themonster! AndI'malloutof-of-" She was quickly muffled though as a hoof reached out and held her muzzle shut.

Daring Do for her part remained calm and stoic. "If you want my help then you need to speak intelligibly. So when I let go I expect you to take a deep breath and to speak slowly. Understand?"

"MmmmHmmm..." With her muzzle released Epona took several deep, calming, breathes while staring guiltily at the floor. Then she lifted back up to meet the older mare's gaze. "Link, my mentor, is in danger and I need your help to save him. We made it through the Xenolith Labyrinth when we were attacked by a monster. I escaped but he's still trapped down there. Please! I need your help, Daring Do." By the end of her explanation Epona was sniffling as she tried to hold back her tears.

"Xenolith Labyrinth, huh? So you two were after the legendary Majorite Mask?"

"Yeah. Going after ancient artifacts is what we do. Link is a great adventurer and I-I'm just his apprentice." Epona returned her gaze to the floor once more. "We even made it to the palace. It's a beautiful, yet terrifying, place."

"Hmmm..." Daring Do rubbed her chin as she pondered on the information. She wouldn't have guessed the young earth pony to be an adventurer based on her multi-triangle cutie mark. But then again Daring Do's cutie mark, a compass rose, could also have plenty of meanings besides just being an adventurer... Whatever, adventurer's apprentice or not the pony clearly needed her help and Daring Do wasn't just going to turn her down. Although she certainly wasn't looking forward to dragging the earth pony through the Xenolith Labyrinth, she probably didn't have a choice since the younger pony presumably knew the way through the labyrinth. "Alright kiddo, I'll help."

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!!" Epona excitedly bounced and gave the older mare a big hug much to Daring Do's annoyance. After ending the hug Epona's expression also briefly flashed with annoyance. "But I'm not a kid!"

"True. You are missing the beard."

"What?" Epona tilted her head to the side in confusion.

Daring Do just sighed for a moment before explaining. "A kid is a young goat."

It was then that some random, drunk, nearby bar patron who overheard decided to shout out. "Hay! My mom's a goat."

"And does she have a beard?"

"Well, uh, you see, ummmm. The thing is..." The random, drunk, nearby bar patron let out a disappointed sigh. "Yes."

"Exactly! So shut up." Daring Do paused as she turned back to address the young earth pony mare sarcastically. "So kiddo, you wouldn't happen to have a map of the labyrinth would you?" She couldn't help but to laugh at the absurdity of her own question.

"Oh! Yeah, I actually do."

"What!?" Daring Do was shocked. "But how?

"Link drew it while we were in the labyrinth, he always makes a map of every dungeon we explore. Want to see it? I have it in my saddlebag." Epona began to dig though her saddlebag for it but Daring Do quickly made to stop her.

The pegasus kept her voice to a low, frantic whisper. "No, don't!"

"Huh? Why not?"

Daring Do kept her voice to a whisper as she answered. "Are you daft? There are ponies who would kill for a map like that. Especially considering the rumors surrounding the Mask."

"Oh, I'm sorry." Epona replied keeping her own voice to a whisper.

"It's fine. You can give me the map outside. I'll leave right away and I'll be taking the mask as my payment." Daring Do whispered with a nod.

"Great!" Epona couldn't help but to jump up with an excited little shout.

This excited shout was much to the older mare's chagrin. But Daring Do didn't let it show as she leaned back hoping all the previous whispering hadn't caught any unwanted attention. "I promise you kiddo that if this, Link, is still alive I will rescue him."

Epona whimpered. "D-Don't say that! Of course Link's alive. He's the greatest adventurer ever! And we're going to save him!!"

"We? Sorry kiddo, but I work alone."

"B-B-But-" Epona seemed to already be on the edge of tears.

Daring Do felt like shouting, 'Oh come on, really!?', at the display, but she held her tongue instead. She really couldn't stand to see the younger pony cry. Nor did she want to make a scene. So she let out a defeated sigh. "Fine! You can come. But we're leaving first thing tomorrow morning. I don't travel with companions who aren't well rested!"

"Yay!" Epona gave another excited hop to which Daring Do couldn't resist rolling her eyes.

<--->

"Daring... Daring... DARING DO!!!"

With a startled jump Daring Do returned from her thoughts back to the present. She was still trudging through the Xenolith Labyrinth, her legs just barely starting to tire from the hours of walking. The pegasus turned her attention to the younger mare behind her. "Huh!? What is it kiddo?"

"Don't you feel it Daring? The whole Labyrinth is shaking." There was an edge of fear to Epona's voice.

Now that she was paying attention Daring Do noticed and felt a low rumble. She nearly swore under her breath. She needed to keep her head out of the past and focused on the present.

Daring Do suddenly stopped walking as she realized something. She recognized the rhythm of the vibrations she felt. "Oh no!" Quickly the pegasus unfurled her wings, grabbed the earth pony, and flew up into the air where she gently hovered. Meanwhile, the rumbling sound echoed through the labyrinth with greater and greater intensity.

"Hay! What'd you pick me up for?"

"Shhh..." Daring Do spoke with a low, urgent whisper. "The creature can sense our vibrations, even our heartbeats, through the ground."

"What about your wings?" Epona asked with a fearful whisper. "It can't feel those vibrations while we're in the air, right?"

"If we're lucky, then no." Daring Do whispered back before putting a hoof to the younger pony's muzzle to prevent further conversation.

They remained like that for several tense minutes as the rumbling kept getting worse. It grew incredibly loud when a terrifying, giant, worm-like creature erupted from the ground. It had a tripartite jaw which opened as it emitted a low-pitched growl.

Daring Do managed to remain calm. "And of course we're not lucky! Figures."

Epona however, failed to remain calm. "W-What do we do!?"

"Stay calm. I have a plan."

"W-What is it?"

"It's simple... RUN!!!"

Daring Do dropped the earth pony and flew off down the corridor as Epona galloped along at her side. The monstrous creature wasted no time in giving chase. It was slowly gaining on them.

"W-What is that thing!?" Epona managed to yell over the noise of the creature behind them.

"A tatzlwurm. Just think of it as a giant overgrown earthworm with teeth and tentacles it can shoot from its mouth."

"Tentacles!?"

"Yeah, like-"

The tatzlwurm let out another low-pitched growl before several black tentacles shot out of its maw with an unnerving slurping sound. Several of the slimy tentacles wrapped around the Daring Do's hind leg, much to her displeasure.

"-like these."

"Daring!!"

"Don't worry kiddo. I'm sure I can just slip out of its grip if I just... ARGHH!! Well that's not working." To make matters worse the tatzlwurm began to retract its tentacles back into its unforgiving maw.

"Oh no, oh no, oh no!!!" Her breathing picked up as Epona nearly went into a full-blown panic attack.

"Quick kiddo, I saw a bomb in your saddlebags earlier. Toss it over!"

"O-Okay." Epona managed to regain enough of her senses to reach into one of her saddlebags with her muzzle. She latched onto the first object she could with her teeth and tossed it over to Daring Do. "Here catch!"

Daring Do caught it, but it unfortunately wasn't the bomb she was hoping for. "Does this embarrassingly small shield really look like a bomb to you? ...Never mind, it has sharp edges, I'll make do!" Quickly the pegasus strapped the embarrassingly small shield onto a foreleg and slashed its sharpened edge against the tentacles holding her.

The tatzlwurm let go as it emitted a pain filled screech. Our heroes turned a corner in the labyrinth and managed to gain some ground.

Daring Do gave a victorious hoof pump. "Ha ha! Did you really think you could catch me that easily you stupid worm!? I'm definitely holding onto this embarrassingly small shield."

The tatzlwurm continued to give chase for another few seconds before apparently changing tactics. It burrowed noisily back into the ground and the rumbling actually quieted down a bit. Neither pony, however, slowed down.

"D-Did we win?" Epona asked with an unbelieving tone.

"Since I only managed to cut a few of its tentacles my guess wou-"

As if on cue the tatzlwurm once more erupted from the ground in front of them forcing them to turn down an alternate path as the rumbling grew to deafening levels. The only sound to be heard over the rumble was the creature's low-pitched growl. Thankfully as the ears of our heroes stopped ringing the rumbling had quieted down significantly. Which unfortunately had no effect on the giant worm once again behind them.

Daring Do didn't miss a beat as she snarked over the noise. "If our goal was to piss it off then yes. A winner is us. If not then we should continue fleeing!"

"I-I'm sorry this is all my fault." Epona couldn't hold back her tears anymore as they began flowing down her face. "I'm useless."

"What!? You are not."

"Yes I am! When Link was in trouble I just stood there helplessly. And when I tried to help you I was too panicked to even tell the difference between a bomb and an embarrassingly small shield! This is all my fault."

The tatzlwurm slowly gained on the ponies. They could now feel its breath upon their backs. The creature once again released an ear-splitting, low-pitched growl as its mouth began salivating.

"We all make mistakes kiddo. This really isn't the time for a mental breakdown!"

"And I'll bet there's just a dead end around this next corner." And indeed by some cruel twist of fate as they turned the next corner they found themselves facing a dead end not too far ahead. Epona skidded to a halt and just stared wide-eyed at the dead end, not even blinking.

Behind the ponies the tatzlwurm was unable to slow down fast enough to turn the next corner. So instead it slammed face first into the nigh unbreakable labyrinth wall. The creature was momentarily stunned from the impact.

Daring Do took advantage of the situation and waved a hoof in front of the earth pony. "Um, kiddo? Is anypony there?"

As if jarred from a trance, Epona flinched and rapidly blinked. Within a moment she was nearly hyperventilating. "See, I told you! Now we're both going to die and it's all my fault!" The young earth pony collapsed to the ground and curled up in a shivering ball as she just kept chanting how it was all her fault. And thus her descent into a mental breakdown was complete.

With an eye roll and an annoyed sigh Daring Do landed next to the young mare and began digging through her saddlebags while muttering to herself. "Fine! I'll just grab the bomb myself."

She didn't get the chance to find it however as the tatzlwurm shook its head and recovered from being dazed. Another slurping sound was heard as the tatzlwurm shot out several more tentacles and wrapped them around Daring Do, pulling her away from the saddlebags.

"Hay, let go of me Wormy! I really don't have a tentacle fetish." Daring Do struggled but it was in vain as the monster had thoroughly entangled her this time. She couldn't even move her limbs enough to use the embarrassingly small shield. "Well. This really sucks."

Knowing full well its prey was trapped the tatzlwurm was now taking its sweet time. It let out a shuddering growl that was nothing more than a twisted perversion of laughter.

"Come on kiddo, I could really use you doing something right about now. Anything!" Seeing that the earth pony was in her own little world Daring Do decided it was time to take matters into our own hoof. She reached down into one of her pockets with her muzzle and pulled out her trusty whip. With a quick flick of her head Daring Do snapped the whip right across Epona's flank.

The lavender scented mare jumped up with a yelp and rubbed her sore flank. "Ow! Huh, what? Why did you do that!?"

Daring Do didn't waste a moment as she quickly snapped the whip again, this time wrapping it around the tentacles and pulling it taut. The tatzlwurm felt the pain but refused to let go. She just pulled the whip even tighter and this time the tentacles around her squirmed just enough allowing her slip out of their grasp. Then she finally turned her attention to the earth pony who was grumpily glaring at her. "Sorry kiddo but it was the only way to bring you back to reality."

"Oh. Well reality sure does suck!"

The pegasus let out a laugh as she dodged several more tentacle strikes. "Maybe, but I usually enjoy the thrill of it. Either way this embarrassingly small shield probably isn't going to last long against a tatzlwurm. I need your help to find a way out of this mess before this dead end lives up to its name!"

"What's the point of asking me?" Epona let out a sad sigh. "I'm useless. And this is all my fau-"

"Snap out it kiddo! This ain't your fault. You're going to help us find a way out of this mess and you're going to do it now!!"

Once again tears streamed down Epona's face. "Stop yelling at me! This dead end wall is going to be the last thing we ever see. This cracked wall is so stupid!" Suddenly her face lit up with realization and excitement. "Wait! It's a cracked wall. That's it! Daring this wall has a crack in it."

"Great! Maybe it's a plumber." Daring Do's sarcastic quip in that moment wasn't one of her best, but that was perfectly understandable as she was a bit distracted with stalling a tatzlwurm with only a whip and an embarrassingly small shield.

"No you don't understand. If this wall has a crack then I can blow a hole in it with a bomb! Me and Link used to do that kind of thing all the time!"

The tatzlwurm was starting to get annoyed at being repeatedly denied its prey and let out a fierce growl. Daring Do suddenly found it much more difficult to deal with the creature in the confined space of the labyrinth. "Great. Just hurry kiddo!"

Epona quickly dug through her saddlebags and actually found the big, blue bomb this time. She lit the fuse, somehow, and deposited the explosive right next to the cracked wall before diving for cover. The fuse sizzled for a bit. Then an explosion rocked the wall causing the cracked area to collapse. Thus a hole just big enough for an adult pony was created.

The earth pony did a little jig. "HA HA!!! It worked! Come on Daring, let's go."

Not needing to be told twice Daring Do swooped down and followed the other mare through the hole. The tatzlwurm, now enraged by its prey escaping, sped forward at full speed. Only to succeed at slamming its head into the wall and nearly knocking itself out. Not caring or thinking clearly the giant worm slammed repeatedly against the wall hoping to break through. But it was to no avail. It let its annoyance known with an enraged growl that caused the labyrinth to shake, or perhaps that was caused by the monster still constantly slamming against the wall.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the wall Daring Do wiped her brow with a foreleg. "Phew! Now let's get out of here before wormy figures out he can probably just burrow under the wall."

The two ponies galloped and flew away and didn't slow down 'til they could no longer hear the monster's struggles and could no longer feel the vibrations it created. Only then did Daring Do land once more to give her wings a well deserved rest.

"Great job with the bomb kiddo!"

Epona however didn't share the older mare's enthusiasm. In fact the lavender scented mare was quite depressed. "I was just lucky. I'll bet Link only bothers keeping me around out of pity. I'll never be worthy of his legacy or the Master Sword."

"Master Sword?"

"Yeah. It's his enchanted sword. It can cut through anything, even magic. But I'm not worthy of it. I'm useless. It's all my fault we're wandering lost in Xenolith Labyrinth."

Of course Daring Do tried her best to comfort the young mare. But her words only fell on deaf ears as the two wandered the labyrinth now completely lost. The seasoned adventurer sighed and wished the younger pony would stop blaming herself. After all, Daring Do knew it was technically her own fault. She, not Epona, was the one who had lost the map.

If only she had done things differently...

<--->

The meager motel room was lit only by the bright moonlight which steadily streamed in through the window. Upon one the beds with the covers kicked off slept Epona. She snored peacefully as she finally got the rest her body had badly needed.

The other bed was empty. In fact it hadn't even been touched. Instead Daring Do was quietly rummaging through the earth pony's saddlebags. She found various objects which didn't interest her. Such as a big, blue bomb, some potions, an embarrassingly small shield, and a bunch of lavender leaves. That last one certainly wasn't a surprise, but it also wasn't what she was looking for.

"Come on, where is it?" Daring Do whispered to herself before finally finding what she had sought. "Aha!"

She pulled out a scroll and unfurled it revealing the map of the Xenolith Labyrinth. Her eyes grew wide in amazement as she gazed upon it. It was quite a well drawn map. But there was no time to look it over. She had to go in case the other pony wakes. So she refurled the map and under her hat it went.

"Sorry kiddo but I work alone."

Daring Do began to quietly trot off but stopped when Epona shivered in her sleep. Quietly trotting back over Daring Do pulled the covers back over the younger mare. Being extra careful not to gag on the overwhelming scent of lavender.

"There you go. Sleep tight and sweet dreams kiddo."

With that Daring Do quietly trotted off once more. Slowly she opened the door just enough to slip out. The door closed softly behind her leaving nothing but the sound of Epona's gentle snoring.

<--->

Outside was peaceful as the crickets chirped their nighttime song. The only other sound was the soft crunching of grass under Daring Do's hoofsteps. She was approaching the outskirts of the small backwater town, which existed roughly 100 miles south of Los Pegasus, when the sound of another's voice caused her heart to nearly skip a beat and she gave a startled jump.

"Excuse me Miss Do but may I have a word with you?" The voice was sauve and civil.

She turned around to take a look at the speaker. He was a middle-aged earth pony stallion. Chestnut coat, coal black mane-tail combo, and striking yellow eyes. He was wearing a fancy looking suit and wore his mane slicked back. Emblazoned upon his flanks was a royal flush. All things considered he was obviously too well put together for that backwater town.

"Do I know you?" Daring Do asked politely.

"No, but you have what I want. I overheard your little friend mention a map of the Xenolith Labyrinth. So I'm going to ask you nicely only once. Please hoof it over."

The pegasus rubbed her forehead with a hoof and did her best to stifle an annoyed sigh. "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about nor do I have the time to care. Bye."

Daring Do tried to just walk away but had barely finished turning around before bumping into another pony with a soft thud. This one was a unicorn with enough scars to make his mercenary lifestyle quite obvious. He was accompanied by several other gruff looking unicorns. She cautiously took several steps back and turned to face the earth pony again.

"What interesting and threatening friends you hang out with... Good thing I have wings. Bye!" In an incredibly swift and quick motion Daring Do unfurled her wings and took off. She unfortunately wasn't quite fast enough as one of the mercenaries reached out with their magic locking her wings and painfully grounding her. She struggled but was soon magically pinned to the ground on her side. "OW!! That is NOT how you should treat a lady."

"Oh my you're right. Where are my manners?" The earth pony spoke just as calmly and smoothly as ever. "My name is Royal Flush. And it is a pleasure to finally meet you Miss Do."

"I don't care." She was done with the pretense of politeness. "But my hoof is just dying to meet your face."

Royal Flush just let out a disappointed sigh as if dealing with an unruly foal. "Now let's not get violent here. There's no need for that. Please just tell me where the map is."

"I'm sure you'd find it easy enough if you first just remove your head from your plot."

"You bitch!" He snorted indignantly and harshly slapped the pegasus across her muzzle. But he didn't remove his hoof fast enough before she bit him right in the fetlock. With a pained yelp he leapt back and stared incredulously at the bite mark. "You bit me!"

"Gee golly you don't say Captain Obvious. I could've sworn I'd kissed you. I suppose this explains why I've never had a second date."

"That's absurd!"

"Yeah it is. I actually have had second dates."

Now at his wits end the frustrated Royal Flush stomped the ground and snorted again. "That's it! I'll find it myself! And you worthless unicorns better actually restrain her this time!"

The rest of the mercenaries added their magic to the mix and Daring Do suddenly went rigid as she lost the ability to even so much as struggle. But she still glared bloody murder straight into the earth pony's eyes.

He ignored her hate glare and stepped forward once more as he began to dig her the various pockets hidden all over her jacket, muttering to himself as he searched. "Let's see. Rope, whip, first aid kit, Kitchen Sink Brand Gum... Arghh, no map! Where is it?"

"I haven't a clue. See anywhere else I could be hiding it?"

"Hmmm...?" Royal Flush rubbed his chin and slowly found his gaze heading southward as a bizarre yet intriguing possible hidey-hole occurred to him.

This of course majorly pissed off Daring Do. "Excuse me bub but my face is waaay up here!!"

Royal Flush actually took a flustered step back and turned his face away as he attempted to use a hoof to hide his rapidly forming blush. "Er- ahem, of course. That's an absurd notion if I've ever had one. The map must still be with that young earth pony. I shall go retrieve it." He turned back to lock eyes with the mare as a dark smirk formed on his face and he couldn't suppress an evil chuckle. "Let's just hope nothing bad happens to her, right Miss Do?"

In her defence Daring Do managed to hold her death glare for another long minute before letting out an angry snort and caving in. "Fine! It's under my hat!!"

The overdressed earth pony smiled genuinely as he quickly retrieved what he sought. "Of course! I should've guessed. This is most excellent! With this the deck is truly stacked in my favour." Royal Flush addressed his mercenaries. "Quick, tie her up with her own rope and throw her in the bushes! We have spelunking to do... And once I have that mask I shall purge this world of the old to make room for the new."

While Daring Do found herself being subdued by her own rope she was much more focused on the villains words. "What do you mean by that!?"

"Don't fret Miss Do. You'll find out soon enough." Of course this was when he began his evil laughter.

"Whatever you're planning I've stopped worse and I will st-" She was muffled by her own rope wrapping her muzzle before the mercenaries just tossed her aside. As soon as Daring Do found herself free from the grip of magic she immediately began working on escaping from her bindings.

<--->

"Daring, I-I recognize this place an-and I know where we are!" Epona excitedly shouted breaking the sullen silence that had descended upon the two ponies.

"You sure this time?" Daring Do asked doubtfully despite how badly she hoped the young earth pony wasn't mistaken yet again.

"Yes! I remember that funny looking rock. Come on!" The two ponies sped up as Epona quickly took turn after turn without hesitation. "The palace should be right around this corner and... Aha! I knew it."

Daring Do slowed down, letting the younger pony run ahead, as she gazed up at the enormous structure. It was definitely a palace. It's smoothed, polished, white surface reflected the light from the many gemstones of the cavern walls in a dazzling display of beauty. Yet she couldn't help but wonder what manner of creature had designed such architecture so far beneath the ground.

"Hurry up, Daring! We have to find Li-" Epona suddenly let out a terrified scream.

Tearing her sight from the palace Daring Do rushed forward. "Kiddo what's wrong!?"

"Those two! They weren't here last time. Are-Are they d-d-d-"

"Dead? Yes." The experienced pegasus nodded as she examined what the earth pony was pointing at. Not far ahead laid a pair of limp, pale unicorns. "A couple of Royal Flush's mercenaries. Looks like they've been drained of blood. We'd better hurry and find Link and the mask."

Daring Do was hopeful that this might just mean that Royal Flush and his goons hadn't found the mask yet. She galloped forward, leaping over the bodies, and went straight for the palace. Epona scrambled to keep up as she fearfully glanced around expecting the monster from before to attack at any moment.

They slowed to a trot after entering the palace. Daring Do glanced around cautiously, as alert as could be. "This place is huge. We'd better stick together. That monster could be anywhere. Hopefully it's too distracted with Royal Flush to have noticed us yet."

"Sorry to disappoint my dear, but I don't believe that is the case." The very same monster spoke up from the side he'd silently crept up on, instantly gaining the attention of both ponies. "The last ponies I saw fled with their tails between their legs after I easily dispatched a couple of them."

Epona yelped in terror as the creature turned her gaze to her. All she managed to squeak out was some pointless exposition. "I-It's t-the monster!"

"And so the appetizer returns with yet another main course. I thank you my dear but sadly I'm not hungry at the moment." The creature briefly paused to rub his chin seemingly in thought. "Although I might still have room for something small and defenceless."

All Epona managed to utter in response was a quiet whimper.

Daring Do quickly placed herself between the creature and her young charge. She kept low to the ground with her hind muscles tensed and ready to leap at a moments notice. Wings fully extended and twitching, itching for a fight. "Figures you're a chupacabra."

"A chirpa- what?" Epona asked having found her voice.

"A chupa-cabra my dear. A creature which feeds on blood. If you had wanted to know what I was you should've just asked."

"I-I-" Briefly Epona paused, uncertain how to act. Finally she decided and turned angry. "I don't care. Where's Link you monster!?"

"Hmmm... The green earth pony you were with last time? He's in that room over there." The chupacabra answered with a playful smirk while pointing at a distant door.

Without wasting a beat Epona galloped off to the room the chupacabra was pointing at. "I'm coming Link!"

"Kiddo wait!" Daring Do tried to warn.

But it was too late as the young, lavender scented earth pony burst into the room. An uneasily silence followed for a few tense seconds afterwards before Epona's distant terrified scream burst forth. The scream echoed around the cavernous innards of the palace before things once more returned to silence.

After a few more moments, the pegasus sadly shook her head and let out a sigh. "Can't say I'm surprised. And I suppose you aren't just going to hoof over the Majorite Mask are you?"

The chupacabra's smile quickly morphed into an angry scowl but he spoke with a cold, deliberate tone. "I am Majorite. Why would I ever give my mask to a thing such as you? Unlike you I actually need it. It's the only thing keeping her alive."

"Wait, what? Keeping who alive? I just want the mask to keep it out of the hooves of evil."

"LIES!!!" Majorite's calm demeanour was shattered and replaced with a great bitterness. "Don't think I haven't heard the excuses. You ponies are all alike. All you want is my mask for your own selfish ends. And I won't have it!

"Wait! You're mistaken. I'm not li-"

With a hiss the chupacabra launched himself at the pegasus. Reacting quickly Daring Do held up the embarrassingly small shield that she was still wearing. The embarrassingly small shield shattered into wooden splinters from the impact, but it had still fulfilled its purpose and saved its master's life in the line of duty. Daring Do would greatly mourn its loss.

<--->

Epona laid there sobbing. Clinging vainly to the pale, lifeless form of her beloved mentor like a newborn foal to a teat. "I-I'm so sorry Link. I-I should've done something. I just stood there useless! And now I'm just doing it again while Daring Do fights that monster."

Her ears stubbornly pressed against head as she tried everything in her power to block out the sounds of the battle going on just a room away. Hooves and claws scraping against the palace floor. Wings flapping. The hiss of a monster. And finally the pain-filled gasp of a pegasus being struck by the claws of that very same monster.

"No. This time will be different!!" Epona shot to attention as she grew deathly determined. With another glance at her mentor her voice turned to a whisper. "It has to be."

As fast as her body could move she grabbed her mentor's bow and slung his quiver full of arrows over her own back. Then she spun around while cocking an arrow on the bow. Taking aim she fired only a split second after choosing her target.

The arrow sailed through the air with a swoosh.

<--->

Daring Do laid on her back pinned to the ground as the chupacabra stood over her with a victorious smile. Her shoulder bled from a painful, yet thankfully not vital, wound. Her shoulder was the least of her concerns however as the chupacabra leaned down to finish her with his fangs. Suddenly there was a swoosh followed a mere heartbeat later by a terrible thwacking sound as Majorite took an arrow to the knee. Since it hit a hind knee the chupacabra fell back onto his haunches as he hissed in pain. The seasoned adventurer quickly slid away from him and looked to the arrow's source as she got up.

"You don't scare me anymore you monster." Epona yelled as she stalked towards her prey with a vindictive fire burning in her, no doubt lavender scented, eyes. "And you're taking the next one to the heart!" In one swift, fluid motion she lifted up her hoof holding the bow while her head spun around to grab an arrow from the quiver with her mouth.

Shaking away her shock Daring Do sprung into action and placed herself defensively between the chupacabra and the earth pony. Her voice was laced with disbelief. "K-Kiddo? Stop!" She held out her wings to cover as much of his body as she could as she turned her attention to the chupacabra. "Don't worry, I've got a first aid kit."

Majorite did his best not to cry out in pain as he felt the arrow removed. Although he failed as the wound was sterilized. It was only as his knee was being bandaged that he finally found his incredulous voice. "Y-You're willing to defend and help me? Why!?"

Epona, in shock from witnessing the unfolding events, had huge, glazed over eyes. The vindictive fire completely absent. The arrow she previously held had already dropped to the ground as her jaw hung. When she finally managed to speak in a quiet squeak her voice held no emotions. "Yeah Daring, why?"

With the injury cared for Daring Do turned back around to face Epona. The older mare spoke calm yet firmly. " Over the years I've regretted killing many creatures I thought were monsters, kiddo. And I won't let you make the same mistake. Now please, trust me."

A moment of silence passed.

Then Epona dropped the bow and slipped the quiver off her back, letting them fall to the palace floor with a clatter. She soon followed them as she curled up into a ball and shivered while whispering to herself. "Even when I try to help..."

A depressed sigh escaped Daring Do's muzzle as she watched the shivering bundle. Without a doubt she would have to deal with that. But first, she quickly turned her attention to the one behind her. "Are you okay?"

"Why would you ever defend me?" Majorite attempted to demand, yet his voice came out as confused.

"Perhaps many terrible ponies have come over the years seeking ultimate power. But I am NOT one of them! Please trust me and tell me what exactly you're using the mask for."

The chupacabra attempted to glare but failed under the mare's sympathetic gaze. His voice became uncertain. "I-I don't know if I can tru-"

Their chat was interrupted by a scream from a certain lavender scented earth pony. Immediately Daring Do spun around. "Kiddo, what's wro-" Her voice turned furious. "Royal Flush! Let her go!!"

Royal Flush stood with a charming smile despite his messy mane and clearly soiled suit. Behind him Epona struggled, tears streaming down her face, under the magic of the two surviving unicorn mercenaries who stood on either side of her. "Fret not Miss Do. I would never lay a hoof on a fellow earth pony. However, I can't speak on behalf of my mercenaries." The smile turned sinister as he released an evil chuckle. "Now be a good mare and retrieve the mask. It's a few floors up from here. Shouldn't be a problem for a pegasus such as yourself."

"Wait Daring, don't! I'm not wor-" Increased magic muffled Epona's plea.

"The appetizer is right. You mustn't give him my mask!"

"Damn it! I don't have a choice." It was her fault for losing the map. Her fault the younger mare was in danger at that moment. And Daring Do wasn't just going to let an innocent pony suffer for her mistakes. Spreading out her wings the pegasus took off as fast as could in search of the mask.

"NO!!! You mustn't!" Deeply alarmed Majorite leapt after her. Only for his knee to seize in pain sending his face crashing into the palace floor.

<--->

The upper floors of the palace had no windows. Although, now that she thought about it, she hadn't seen any windows on the first floor either. What the upper floors did have however were a lot of rooms. Filled with lots of bones. Including bones from creatures even Daring Do herself had never before encountered.

But none of that mattered to her at the moment.

All that mattered was finding Majorite's Mask. She felt responsible for the younger mare's current predicament and refused to let Epona suffer. After getting the mask and hoofing it over to that plothole, Royal Flush, Epona would be safe. Then Daring Do figured she'd find a way to get it back from him. Honestly, the seasoned adventurer probably should've thought of a better plan that didn't involve first giving an ancient artifact of untold power to an obviously evil pony. But Daring Do was a mare of action and she'd work out the details later. A young mare's life was at stake!

She found what she was looking for quickly enough on the highest floor. A room with a locked door. No doubt the mask must've been behind it. Several solid bucks and Daring Do made it within... only to let out a gasp at what she found.

The room was covered in blood. Or more accurately, blood was carefully applied to the floor, walls, and ceiling to create glyphs and runes of unknown origin that were glowing a ghastly red. Blood red candles burned with the scent of iron and filled the room with a red haze. The haze was drawn into the mask itself which was to be found in the center of the room, on a bed, worn on the face of a young sleeping chupacabra who was roughly a third the size of Majorite.

Daring Do cautiously approached the bed holding her pith helmet over her muzzle like a gas mask. She felt guilty about what she was about to do, but she needed the mask. She spoke quietly as her words came unbidden. "I'm sorry. I know you need that but I need it too. It's sort of an emergency." Without another word she gently pulled off the mask.

The young chupacabra didn't so much as stir in her sleep. Daring Do let out a sigh of relief, releasing the breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding. With the mask firmly in hoof, Daring Do took flight and fled the somber room.

<--->

Majorite and Royal Flush were locked in a silent glaring contest when Daring Do returned and landed between them with a soft thud. She tossed the mask towards the stallion letting it clink roughly against the palace floor before it slid over to him.

"There. Now let her go!" Daring Do demanded as her wings bristled with fury.

"With pleasure." Royal Flush obliged with a wicked grin upon his muzzle as he not so gently shoved Epona towards the pegasus.

"Kiddo, you okay!?"

Epona clung to the pegasus like a foal as she managed to stifle her crying with a few sniffles. "Wh-Why? I'm not worth it!"

"That's not true Kiddo. Don't sell yourself short."

Before the moment could get any more touching, sappy, or lavender it was interrupted by Majorite. The chupacabra shook his head solemnly as he spoke. "I'm afraid I have to agree with the appetizer. She wasn't worth giving up the mask."

The inevitable argument was preemptively interrupted by Royal Flush. The earth pony began laughing like a madmare while clutching the mask protectively to his barrel. "Finally the mask is mine. All mine! Now you shall witness-" His voice turned low, gravelly, and downright demonic as he put on the mask. "-the rise of Royal Flush! I shall purge this world and all knees shall bow in worship to me." Cue his expected demonic evil laughter.

"No wonder you're called Royal Flush. 'Cause nothing's coming out of your mouth right now but crap!" Despite her words Daring Do held the younger mare protectively while slowly backing up 'til she stood next to Majorite.

"Mock me if you must Miss Do. For I am invincible." He paused briefly to scratch the mask over his chin. "Now to repay my unicorn mercenaries for their loyal service!" Rising into the air without the need for wings Royal Flush's whole being was engulfed in a blood red magical aura which glowed strongest around the mask itself. He held out his hooves to his two remaining mercenaries who were both immediately engulfed in the same blood red aura as they floated into the air as well.

Suddenly, the room was filled with screaming that was quickly reduced to a gurgling choking sound as the mercenaries were crushed alive. The sight wasn't pretty and neither were the sounds of bones snapping and what could best be described as a disturbing squishing sound.

Epona let out a terrified yelp and pulled one of the pegasus' wings over herself like a security blanket. "D-Did he j-j-"

"Yep." Daring Do replied with a mock yawn. "Not that I'm surprised or anything."

"W-What? Why not!?" Epona on the other hoof wasn't just surprised, she was utterly shocked.

"If only I had a bit for every time I've witnessed a villain gain godlike powers and kill off his own henchmares. It's so cliché." She waved a hoof dismissively. But, despite her calm outside demeanor, Daring Do was struggling not to panic internally as her mind raced to figure out how to beat him. Only then did she realize just how badly she had bucked up with hoofing the mask over.

"You should probably flee." Majorite whispered. "This is my mask and thus my responsibility. And if my mistakes are what kill me today then so be it."

"Don't be stupid, Majorite." Daring Do hissed back with a whisper. "How do we stop your mask?"

The chupacabra found himself unable to keep a frantic tone out of his voice. "S-Stop! I don't know. I've been using blood magic for countless millennia to instill power into my mask."

"Blood magic? W-Why would you use such dangerous forbidden magic like that!?" The pegasus was flabbergasted.

"It wasn't forbidden back then and I had to! There was a terrible accident when we came to your world from beyond the stars and my sister wouldn't awaken. I needed the power to keep us alive all this time and-and, I thought if I put enough power in the mask then maybe it could awaken her." He was shaking now as his emotions began to overwhelm him.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. But please there must be a way to stop-"

"Oh by the Blood Maiden's tears th-this is all my fault! I-I-I'm so so so sorry I shouldn't ha-" But Majorite cut himself off with the lump that formed in his throat as tears began to stream down his face.

"No, it's all mine." Epona finally spoke up. Her voice muffled as her muzzle was still buried in Daring Do's fur. "I shouldn't have mentioned the map out loud in that bar, or left Link alone to d-die, or-"

Daring Do's eye twitched as she realized that she'd had enough. She quieted both of them as she yelled. "Snap out of it! Both of you. All of us made some mistakes but we don't have the time for this. We need to stay focused on our present dilemma. NOW. HOW. DO. WE. STOP. THE. MASK!?"

Things quieted down briefly before Royal Flush gave his answer in the form of further evil, demonic laughter. He sat back in the air as he enjoyed watching the petty mortals squabbling amongst themselves.

Majorite sniffled. "S-Stop it. That's impossible. By now it's far too powerful. I doubt anything could ever cut through such magic."

Suddenly Epona pulled away from the older mare with a thoughtful look. "Hey Daring I think I-"

"Damn it! There has to be a way." Daring Do replied lost in her own world as she struggled to think of a solution.

"Daring I-"

"No, that would never..."

"Daring-"

"Maybe if we..."

"DARING!!!" Epona yelled, finally getting said mare's attention.

"What!? I'm trying to think." She snapped, irritated.

"The Master Sword."

"The Master Sword?" Daring Do repeated. "The Master Sword!!" Without wasting another heartbeat the pegasus unfurled her wings and flew to the room which held Link's body. It was hardly a second before she returned with a sword. A comically large sword.

"Fool!" Royal Flush decided it was finally time for some divine intervention. "You think a mere sword can stop me!? I shall rip off your wings! Then I shall send the moon hurtling into Canterlot, the epicenter of unicorns. I will create a utopia of earth ponies with no oppression from horns or wings. And I shall be their god!!" He devolved once more into his evil, demonic laughter which was mercifully cut short when a certain sword managed to give him a nasty gash in his side.

Royal Flush gasped in pained surprise as he leapt back. The magic surrounding him healed the wound in seconds. But Daring Do didn't wait for the wound to finish healing before she pressed her offensive as the epic battle between good and evil began in earnest.

<--->

The epic battle had been raging for awhile with magic blasts and close calls aplenty.

Epona sat on the sidelines watching eagerly with wide, fearful eyes. She spoke quietly, scared of the attention she might attract if she spoke too loudly. "Come on Daring. You can do it! Please, for Link." She sniffled but withheld her tears.

"Is that it?" Majorite spoke. His calm facade had by then been firmly restored.

"Huh?" Epona pulled her eyes from the battle. "What do you mean?"

"Doing anything would be better than just sitting there sulking. Why aren't you helping your friend little appetizer?"

"My name's Epona!" Her voice held bitterness. "And you shut up. It's your fault that Link is g-gone."

"True. And if you desire to take my life then so be it. I respect that. I was so obsessed with saving one life that I neglected to consider all the lives I was taking." He paused. "But that is beyond the point. Why aren't you helping your friend my dear?"

She let out a depressed sigh. "What's the point? I'm just useless."

"You're only as useless as you believe yourself to be."

"No. I'm not courageous, wise, or powerful. I'm just usele-"

"Nonsense!" Majorite interjected with conviction. "You were courageous enough to trek through Xenolith Labyrinth a second time. Wise enough to lead your friend here. And quite powerful with that arrow of yours. So don't underestimate yourself. There must've been a reason that Link fellow kept you around."

"Well, I suppose so. I mean I did use to create potions for Link but-"

"But what? What about creating those potions was useless exactly?"

"Well I, uh-" Epona suddenly gasped in realization. "Y-You're right!" Quickly she dug through her saddlebag and pulled out a corked bottle containing some sort of red potion. She hoofed the potion over to the chupacabra. "Here, take this. It's a health potion. It'll fix your knee right up in a jiffy. I've got a friend to help."

"Thank you. I see now that you're not just an appetizer, Epona."

"Thanks!"

Majorite pulled the young earth pony into a hug. "You're a sweet little dessert."

"Oh, um, thanks. I guess." Despite her conflicted emotions over still being referred to as food, Epona just couldn't keep the blush off her face at the compliment. Or suppress a shudder from the creature's embrace.

"Also, please do me a favour... Make sure my mask is destroyed. Understand?" He ended the hug.

"Huh? B-But your sister!"

His voice turned somber as he replied. "I've existed for countless millennia fighting a hopeless battle to save her. I need to accept the truth. And I-I think it's finally time to move on and start living again. No matter how difficult."

"O-Okay, if you're sure then alright." It was all she could do to keep her eyes from tearing up again.

<--->

Daring Do wasn't doing too well. Sure she wasn't having too hard of a time dodging and slashing the ascended earth pony, but she was starting to get tired and Royal Flush could heal from seemingly any wound in a matter of seconds. It just wasn't fair! If he didn't keep healing so ridiculously fast then she might've actually stood a chance. Unfortunately her luck finally ran out when she lost her grip on the Master Sword. As it clanged against the palace floor Daring Do soon found herself magically pinned to the very same floor.

Royal Flush hovered over her and laughed evilly as all major villains are contractually obligated to do. "Good bye Miss Do." Before he could deliver the final blow however two arrows were released to the air and hit their targets with squishy thwacks. "AHHH!!! My eyes!"

Released from the magical hold, Daring Do immediately sprung back into the air and searched for the source of the arrows. She was only mildly surprised when she saw who was galloping towards her with a bow and arrow filled quiver. Although there was something that did greatly surprise her. "Kiddo, how did those arrows even hurt him? His magic aura should've repelled them."

"Being earth ponies me and Link need magic protection. Which is why I always carry plenty of lavender with me due to its strong anti-magic properties."

"Wow! Well what do you know? Learn something new everyday." The pegasus shook her head to focus as she quickly dove down to retrieve the Master Sword. "But more importantly... how do we actually stop this guy?"

"I-I'm afraid there's no other way, Daring. That mask has to be destroyed."

Daring Do let out a slow, sad sigh. Trying her best to keep the guilt from her mind as it was filled with memories of the young, innocent, and unwakeable chupacabra. She swallowed, her mouth suddenly seeming dry. "Aright. I got it."

Meanwhile, Royal Flush had torn out the arrows awhile ago and was waiting for his eyes to fully reform. As his blurry vision cleared he saw Daring Do hurtling towards him with that damnable sword once more in her possession. He merely smirked as he let her take her swing. After all it wouldn't be too much longer before the mortal finished off her last reserves of stamina. Then he would finish her off and claim that sword for his own use.

He merely laughed when she slashed across his face, despite the deep, painful gash it caused, as the magic quickly healed his wound. What he didn't even notice though was that the mask had been sliced clean in two. He didn't notice, that is, 'til the severed mask began to crack due to the power released from its damage area.

Royal Flush's laughter ceased and morphed into a horrified scream as the mask shattered and all the power it had contained was absorbed into the nearest source, namely his body. The earth pony, still floating in midair, spasmed and convulsed as power his form was never meant to contain pulsed through him. He glowed blindingly bright and immense heat was released as the raw blood magic burned itself out, taking him with it.

With his final breath Royal Flush screamed. "NOOOOOOO...!!!"

When it was finally over everything became deathly quiet. A cloud of molten ash settled on the palace floor with a hiss and began to melt into it. Daring Do pulled her gaze away from it when she realized how unbearable the heat was. She put a hoof on Epona to lead her away from the sight.

The young mare leapt from the physical contact but was successfully pulled from her transfixed trance on the molten ash. Her voice however seemed to still be in shock. "I-Is it really over?"

"Yes." The pegasus spoke with a nod before turning her attention to the chupacabra as the reached him. "Majorite?"

"Y-Yes." It took every ounce of his willpower to not give into his emotional turmoil as thoughts of his sister overwhelmed his mind.

"I have connections in Canterlot and, even though she's a chupacabra, I can get your sister the best of medical care. T-There might still be hope."

"Don't bother." He released a sad sigh. "I've tried every known medicine I could find before resorting to the mask."

"Yeah well, believe it or not, the science and magic of medicine has advanced a lot over the past several millennia. There's bound to be something you've missed that the doctors at Canterlot know about. And Canterlot does have the best doctors. So it's at least worth a shot. Right?"

"I, uh, t-thank you. I-I accept your generous offer." Finally Majorite lost control of his emotions and the tears came. He wrapped his forelegs around her and let it out. Daring Do returned the hug and gently rubbed his back.

It was then that Epona spoke up quietly, having regained herself. "Daring, I need to ask you something. Now that Link is-is... A-Anyways, I need a new mentor now. So I was wondering if you'd-"

Daring Do answered prematurely with a slight chuckle. "You don't need another mentor Epona. You're great. You're going to go out into the world and do great things. Just believe in yourself, 'cause I certainly do."

"You really believe that, Daring?"

"Of course I do! You really proved yourself today and I'm sure Link is proud of you."

Overjoyed Epona sprang forward and wrapped the older mare in a hug. "Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!"

Now sandwiched between two hugs Daring Do tried her best to act annoyed. "Oh come on! Not you too Epona... Okay, you two can seriously stop hugging me now." In response the two offending parties just tightened their hugs. Forcing her to let out an exasperated sigh.

With nothing better to do, Daring Do pondered her day. Well let's see, she had successfully navigated the Xenolith Labyrinth, fought a Tatzlwurm, and even defeated a pony ascended to godlike levels by destroying an ancient artifact of untold power... Yeah, all in all a pretty typical day for her. Quite tired out she decided she could really go for some hard cider now.

And maybe, just maybe, she'd even flirt with that cute bartender...

Comments ( 7 )

That was great! Amazing job!

6459522

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

the back and forth really killed the story for me.

This story needs to be edited a lot better. There are sentence fragments and places where missing apostrophes make plurals where there should be possessives. Please fix.

6467419

Thank you for the feedback. I don't doubt that you're correct about the missing apostrophes. Those can be somewhat tricky at times. However, I must disagree on your other point. Despite being unacceptable in academic writing, fragments are perfectly acceptable in a narrative.

6469309 I'll grant you that sometimes sentence fragments are acceptable in narrative; in casual speech, we talk a lot in sentence fragments. For example, aside from the missing comma, this is perfectly acceptable:

She felt like she was going to die. But she couldn't stop. Not because of the monster though.

However, some of the sentence fragments in your story are not of that caliber; they appear to exist only because you substituted a period in place of a comma. For example:

A now irate Link grabbed the swords hilt with his mouth and pulled it from its sheath in one smooth, well-practiced motion. Somehow managing to maintain his balance despite the swords great girth and weight.

That sentence fragment is clearly supposed to be part of the previous sentence, and should be written as such (I'll also supply the missing apostrophes):

A now-irate Link grabbed the sword's hilt with his mouth and pulled it from its sheath in one smooth, well-practiced motion, somehow managing to maintain his balance despite the sword's great girth and weight.

6470001

Alright, your point is valid. I may have abused my fragment privilege a wee bit. I'll work towards improving that in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. It's been invaluable.

Login or register to comment