• Published 27th May 2012
  • 12,825 Views, 2,025 Comments

My Little Pony: Morphing is Magic - Tricondon



The Mane 6 team up with another Main 6 to fight a new threat.

  • ...
37
 2,025
 12,825

Chapter 25

Author's Note: Written by Samaru163 and Tricondon.

Chapter 25


Luna

I am Luna. Princess of the Night. Co-ruler of Equestria with my sister, Celestia, the Princess of the Day. I am the one who raises the moon every night as my sister sets the sun. I am all this, and more. As rulers, both Celestia and I know that the key to having our subjects trust us is to never show worry, never show doubt in our ability to command. A frantic leader gives poor orders, and nopony would obey us for long, once the seeds of doubt had been planted. Celestia always has a smile on her face, always makes gentle requests of her guards; I have yet to see them disobey her. I have only known Celestia to grow fearful twice in my life; the first is when Discord attacked all those centuries ago. The second was my own corruption. Both times I know she feared not for herself, but for all the ponies under her care.

Recently I have become aware of a new threat to Equestria. I have mentioned this to my sister many times, but she refuses to take action. The aliens Twilight Sparkle had found were supposed to come to Canterlot; I had hoped that their presence would be enough to incite Celestia to take action. Unfortunately, they never arrived. I suspected foul play, or worse, that Twilight had fallen prey to this new threat.

I walked over to the window of my chamber and looked outside. Celestia was flying around the damaged section of the castle, overseeing the repairs. I could just make out her issuing commands - it helped that she was using the Royal Canterlot Voice, seeing how it easily projected one’s voice. The damaged tower had been mended well over these past few days, yet it was still far from completion. All around it teams of earth ponies moved support beams to keep the loose stones steady while unicorns cautiously removed any stones that were too extensively damaged to use. Teams of pegasi were busy managing the upper levels, adding and replacing stones wherever they could.

And this was just the one tower. Many of the surrounding buildings in the city had been damaged by the falling debris. I still remember how chaotic those initial days were. Ponies running frantically as bits of stone and metal came crashing down on homes and businesses alike. The repair teams were able to keep the damages under control, but nearly every establishment around the palace area had been hit.

I turned my gaze upward at the shield surrounding the city. Celestia had ordered the city protected, not because of my warnings, but because of the damage to her castle. Her first inclination was to only protect the castle and leave the city to its own devices; I convinced her to protect everything else as well. I frowned, lost in thought. Celestia had not been acting like her usual self these past few weeks. Our meetings had grown less frequent; we saw each other only during dusk and twilight, along with those odd times when both of us were required to sit in for royal duties. I had tried to approach her in a more sisterly manner, in secret since we had an image to uphold of course, but she curtly turned me away.

I was considering ordering a small complement of guards to go to Ponyville and escort Twilight, her friends, and the aliens to Canterlot directly when I heard a knock at my chamber doors. I quickly spun around and opened the door with my magic; a timid-looking earth pony stood beyond, panting for breath. He wore the garb of one of the lower-ranking guardsponies, perhaps only an initiate. He was frightened, but not of me; most guards working in the castle had grown accustomed to my appearance by this point.

“Speak.”

“Princess Luna! I...we have just received word!” he said between gulps of air. “The train from Ponyville was attacked! Eyewitnesses claim they saw Changelings, though we cannot find any evidence of them.”

I swallowed and trembled slightly, hoping I did not show it. “Was Twilight Sparkle or any of her friends onboard?”

He nodded. “The conductor says all six Element Bearers were onboard, but we cannot locate them near the train wreck.”

I nodded in return and dismissed him. A probable Changeling attack and the Element Bearers are missing. I frowned for a moment. Why had the conductor not mentioned the oddly-shaped aliens who were supposed to be with Twilight? Surely such a bizarre assortment of creatures would have warranted some interest, and news of them should have been relayed to me, even if I already knew.

I frowned even more. Why had I not ordered the aliens to Canterlot with me when I saw them? If I had then we could have made Celesta aware of the current events all the sooner. But now the Element Bearers were missing and there was no mention of the aliens. Perhaps these creatures were related to Twilight’s disappearance. I did not know their intentions. Perhaps Twilight had been coerced or tricked into trusting them.

I glanced out the window once more. Celestia was still flying around the tower. I needed information about the creatures from the sky, and my own library was rather lacking in that regard. I sighed and trotted out of my chambers, heading for Celestia’s study. She had accumulated many more tomes over the years and it was my hope that one of them held the information I sought.


‘By the turn of their one hundredth year the Kiplings had begun to open their borders to trade and travel. Since their positioning was close south of Equestria, ponies were among the first to meet the colorful species. Diplomacy was slow, however, and despite their fun loving personalities the Kiplings were distrusting of our foreign ways. Eventually through much time and perseverance trade agreements were formed and we began trading foods, fabrics, and gemstones especially. In return we were given new forms of building materials and schematics, which we ponies used to create such inventions as the airship and steam locomotive. This trade lasted for a full ten years before the Kiplings love of gemstones attracted the attention of the neighboring Dragons. Without any ways of properly protecting themselves the playful creatures were forced to flee across the ocean to escape the fire. There have been no sightings of a Kipling since.’

I groaned in frustration, tossing the book onto the steadily growing pile. “Not even Celestia knows about these creatures!” I yelled at the empty room, being careful not to use the Royal Canterlot Voice. I was about to look through another book when I felt a peculiar tingle in the air; I immediately recognized it as the usual disturbance that occurs whenever a spell is cast, though I could not identify the exact spell used.

I looked around the room, searching for the source of the spell and was surprised by the mist that floated in through the window. It coalesced in the air and reformed into a scroll, bound by a seal. It hung in the air for a moment before dropping to the floor as gravity found it. Curious, I walked over and nudged it with a hoof. It seemed to be normal parchment, though I could not say as to how it mysteriously transported in.

Carefully, I levitated the scroll and unfurled it; I cannot say what drove me to read something designed for Celestia’s eyes, but I had to know. I skipped past the content of the letter and jumped to the end.

‘Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.’

I felt my heart skip a beat. Twilight still lived! I quickly read the letter proper, more interested in its contents this time.

‘Dear Princess Celestia,

I am sorry that we were unable to reach Canterlot today, but a Changeling attack forced us to retreat. Prince Jake and his loyal guards fought them off, but were unwilling to continue to the castle. We will try again soon, and this time we may bring a Changeling defector with us. I do not know how trustworthy he is, so I urge you to take every precaution necessary.

Princess, there is a grave threat to Equestria. I do not know how far it reaches, but Ponyville is nearly overrun. Myself and my friends have managed to evade capture so far, but our luck cannot hold long. This threat isn’t one that we are accustomed to dealing with. I do not know if even the Elements of Harmony are enough to aid us. I hope to explain all I can when we meet tomorrow, along with Prince Jake.

I apologize for the shortness of this letter, but I am uneasy about revealing so much without being found out. Please have the Elements ready for us when we arrive. I doubt if they will be enough, but we need every advantage we can get.

Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.’

I rolled up the scroll and stood up. Twilight Sparkle lived, she had a Changeling prisoner, and Prince Jake seemed to be aiding her. I knew I had to relay the message to Celestia at once. She may have ignored my warnings, but she trusted Twilight as well. If both of us were claiming the same, Celestia would have to act. I headed for the large window in the study and took to the air, flying for the tower.

“Careful with that supporting beam! The tower will fall without it!” Celestia ordered, yelling at the earth ponies below. They moved efficiently, carrying out her orders without question. I flew up to her, interposing myself between her and the tower. She frowned at me. “Luna,” she said curtly, “I cannot effectively oversee the repairs if you are in the way like that.”

“The castle will not crumble in the two minutes I need to speak to you.”

“The castle will not. The tower will. If it falls even more of the city will be crushed.”

I snorted in anger. “Celestia! The construction workers know what they are doing! They do not need your constant supervision.” I inhaled deeply, forcing myself to calm down. “Twilight Sparkle hath sent you a message. She requests an audience with you immediately.”

“Impossible. I cannot spare any guards to go fetch her.”

“Would not it be simpler if you were to go to her?”

“And leave Canterlot unprotected? I could never abandon my subjects like that.”

I gave a frustrated growl. “Celestia! Twilight Sparkle and the other residents of Ponyville are your subjects, too! Furthermore, I can watch Canterlot while you are away! I am not a newborn.”

Celestia smiled at me, though it did not seem as comforting as it usually was. “I know you aren't, Luna, but due to your large absence from royal affairs I am uncertain about leaving you alone in such troublesome times.”

“Then I shall go escort Twilight Sparkle and her friends back to Canterlot,” I said through gritted teeth; Celestia, my sister, did not trust me to watch the city for even an hour?

“Neigh, sister, I cannot allow you to leave. It would be best if we restricted the number of ponies coming and leaving Canterlot. It is safer that way.”

“Art thou referring to the Changeling attack on the train?”

Celestia nodded. “That, and the reports of a Changeling attempting to gain access to the city. The guards on duty said it had taken the appearance of Fluttershy.”

“All the more reason to ensure Twilight’s safety. If the Changelings are attempting another attack, we will need the Elements of Harmony readily available.” I thrust the letter towards her. “At least see what she has to say about her situation, sister.”

Celestia took the letter and read it quickly. She cast me a glance once she had finished. “Luna, who is this ‘Prince Jake’ that Twilight mentioned?”

“I...may have neglected to mention this, but Twilight and her friends are the hostesses of a royal envoy from beyond our borders,” I said. “They seem to be well aware of the threat that is befalling Ponyville and are willingly helping out.”

“I was not aware of traveling royalty, were you?” She cast me a stern look.

“They were going to explain everything to us when they arrived, but the train was attacked, as you well know.”

“None of the ponies we spoke to mentioned anything about royalty in their midst.” Celestia pondered for a moment before her eyes took on a more concerned appearance. “What if they were Changelings as well? Think about it, this arrival of a foreign envoy which is to be brought here, the Changelings attacking the train said envoy was supposedly being transported on, and the guards turning away a Changeling in the form of Fluttershy - who was escorting these foreigners with her friends. It all seems connected.”

“Sister, I do not believe these creatures are in alliance with the Changelings.” I spoke with perhaps more certainty than I had. “We should heed your protégé’s words.”

“Agreed. She seems to feel the Elements will not be enough, so I see no reason to risk allowing Changelings into Canterlot at this time.”

I had to struggle to keep from gaping. “Do you not think that the Elements would at least help? Twilight may have made an error in judgment and the Elements will be a boon to them.”

“I trust Twilight’s judgment,” was all that Celestia had to say. She looked past me and yelled, “Careful! Don’t carry more than you can handle!” She flew off towards the tower, leaving me on my own. I silently fumed and dashed to catch up with her again.

“Celestia! There are more important things than your castle! Prince Jake has offered his help with the threat to Equestria. I think it best we get him, his followers, and the Element Bearers to explain the situation to us as soon as possible.”

“Nopony is coming into the city without my say-so, Luna.” Celestia said softly. “It isn’t safe out there. Rogue Changelings running rampant, mysterious objects from the sky crashing onto cities, and sightings of possibly dangerous creatures around the Everfree forest.” She gazed at the tower for a long while. “Twilight may not be herself anymore, either.”

“Are you doubting the reliability of your own student?!” I cried.

Celestia turned to me. “Yes. She wants the Elements but does not think they will be enough. I have never known Twilight to doubt her own skill.” She turned back towards the tower and murmured “Twilight is no longer with us, Luna. I know it.”

“She is with us! I spoke with her just yesterday!” I clamped my mouth shut, but it was too late.

“You left Canterlot? I thought I made my wishes quite clear.”

“I was unaware you dictated my life!” I shouted back, a hoof twitching in impatience.

“I do when the safety of my subjects is concerned,” she replied sternly. “Did you open the shield when you left?”

“Just large enough for myself.” I seethed with rage. “I am not so foolish as to jeopardize our subjects like that.”

Celestia blinked at me. “Is that so? What if the opening hadn’t closed behind you, or worse, grew in size?! Were you trying to give the Changelings an open invitation?”

“Sister, you are taking these precautions too far.”

“Am I? Or are you trying to get me to lower my defenses, Changeling?”

Every nerve in my body froze at that moment. “Celestia...how could you suggest such a thing?”

“You were outside of Canterlot. I cannot vouch for your whereabouts.” Celestia hastily explained, darting her eyes from side to side.

“Celestia!” I yelled at the top of my voice, anger and frustration fueling my words. Down below I could see ponies of all sorts stop what they were doing to look up at us, but I pushed them out of my mind for the moment. “You selfishly tend to your castle! Ponies are in danger and you ignore their cries for help, and you accuse your own blood of treason!” Wisps of magic began to flow from my horn. Subconsciously I felt them reach out and tap the Elements, still sealed away in the vault.

“Luna? What are you saying?”

“We deem you unfit to rule! A ruler who ignores her subjects should not be permitted to have subjects! And...” My voice broke for a moment. “You suspect me with no evidence!” I was no longer bonded to the Elements - that honour fell to Twilight and her friends, but I was once bonded long ago. I knew I could force a false bond just long enough to do what I had to. “Tending to your damaged castle? Sealing Canterlot away from the rest of Equestria? Refusing asylum to visiting dignitaries?” I shook my head in anger. “You are not the sister We remember!”

“The Changelings invaded once before! The train was attacked by Changelings, and Twilight said she captured one! Are you so naive to believe that this Prince Jake is really going to help us? Or is even royalty?” She glared at me with suspicion and inquiry. “Perhaps I was right; perhaps you are the one threatening Equestria!”

I fought down a flash of anger at the repeated accusation. “The nightmare no longer has a hold on us!” My horn tingled as I pushed the spell forward, tricking the Elements into rebonding with me. I inhaled deeply as I felt the raw magic join and mingle with my own. “If anything, you are the one threatening Equestria!” I flew up into the air and inhaled again, allowing the magic of the Elements to wash over me. I stopped flapping my wings, held aloft by the energy alone.

Celestia shook her head disbelievingly. “What? Luna, you are not bonded to the Elements anymore! You cannot wield them!”

I merely nudged forward mentally; the spell understood and a rainbow of light shot forth from my horn, surrounding Celestia. From far below I could hear the terrified screams of ponies in the streets, but they were drowned out almost immediately after by Celestia’s outraged cry.

“Lu-Lu! Stop! It’s me! Tia! Don’t do this!”

Another mental nudge and the rainbow shot straight up. The shield surrounding Canterlot cracked then shattered and dissipated. The rainbow continued up, forming a link between Celestia and the sun.

“Sister...” was all that she said before she vanished. The rainbow sparkled and returned to the ether from whence it came and I was alone in the sky.

For a long time I dared not move; only the sound of the tower beginning to fall snapped me back to reality and I shouted at the construction ponies. They moved faster than I expected, most likely out of fear of me rather than concern for the tower. I stared up at the sun for a moment - a simple task for me, though I do not recommend it to any others - and could just make out a faint outline of a pony in the center.

Trembling, I flew back to the castle proper and waltzed into the main throne room. I called for the captain of the guard, and it wasn’t long before Shining Armour was standing before me. He was uneasy, both from his shield spell failing and from what had transpired.

“Shining. I want you to go to Ponyville immediately. Find Twilight Sparkle and the other Bearers of the Elements of Harmony and bring them to Canterlot Castle. I will not accept any delays.” Shining nodded and smartly trotted off, bringing a small group of guards with him. With nothing more to say, I headed for my chambers.

The large doors slammed shut behind me and I was alone. It was only then that I slumped over, panting for breath and struggling to stand. I wearily walked over to my bed and crawled on top, grateful for the chance to lie down. Forcing the Elements to accept me had taken its toll, though I daren’t let my current weakness show.

I raised my head off the bed, glancing around the room. Through some cruel twist of irony I could see the sun through my window, hanging there with the faint outline of a pony now visible. Celestia. Trapped in the sun as I had been on the moon.

“Celestia... please forgive me.” I whispered to the empty room, then buried my head between my hooves and wept.