• Published 27th May 2012
  • 12,783 Views, 2,025 Comments

My Little Pony: Morphing is Magic - Tricondon



The Mane 6 team up with another Main 6 to fight a new threat.

  • ...
37
 2,025
 12,783

Chapter 21

Author's Note: Written by Samaru163 and Tricondon.

Chapter 21

“Yer not Applejack, are you?”

My heart skipped a beat as she finished her sentence. I felt my mouth open and close on its own as I tried to think up a convincing lie, but lying never came easy for me. At best all I was able to make were a few sideways glances and an unconvincing smile.

“Ah bet yer not even a pony, are you?” Applebloom persisted. Quickly I looked around for something, anything I could use as an excuse to leave. Applebloom huffed angrily and sat down. “Ah thought you wouldn’t be here for another day or two.”

The lump in my throat suddenly vanished and I looked at the little filly while still trying to seem natural. She didn’t seem to care, however, and instead began fumbling with her bow.

“Ah hope you didn’t do anything to Applejack. We still need her and her friends.” She looked up at me, glaring from beneath her bow. “You ain’t too smart, walking around looking like her. And you didn’t even do it right. Ah thought you Changelings were supposed to be good at imitating others.”

“Er, sorry, I’m new.” It wasn’t exactly a lie. Applebloom rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, Ah hear it takes some time to learn to control them. Lucky you, though, getting a Changeling host, while Ah’m stuck as a little filly.” She sighed. “Then again, there aren’t many of them to go around in the first place.”

“Yeah, they are such confusing creatures.”

Applebloom let out a small huff of annoyance and looked towards me again. I put on my best blank expression and leaned back with an uncaring attitude.

“Ah suppose ya know the plan already?” I shook my head, causing her to shake her head. “Of all the Changelings they send me, it had t’ be the new recruit.”

Though I wasn’t showing it at the moment, I was scared. I had no idea how long I’d be able to keep this ruse going, and for all I knew Applebloom already knew I was lying. Silently I wished for Jake, Tobias, or somebody to come and help. At the moment though, all I could think to do was give a calm shrug.

“Well, Ah guess it makes sense, after what happened on the train and the death of Duma166 we’d need t’ keep a lower profile.” She let out a small laugh. “Not that it matters.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, leaning slightly forward.

Applebloom - or rather, the Yeerk inside her, since it was obvious she was a controller - gave me a strange look.

“You really don’ know? What, did you just get here from Earth or somethin’?” She gave a small laugh. “Makes sense though, what with all the soldiers Visser Three kills, he would be just down t’ basic recruits.”

An idea occurred to me just then. “Actually, yes. I did just arrive from Earth. Not more than three days ago, in fact.” Applebloom gave me an incredulous look, and I had to struggle not to smile at her. “So, yeah. No one’s bothered to fill me in on any plan yet.”

“T’ain’t fair!” she cried. “Ah’m here for four months and Ah get a little filly with a speech impediment, you just arrive and get one of the few Changelings we have available!” Applebloom stopped grumbling and looked at me oddly. “Wait, three days ago? But the last shipment of troops got here five days ago.”

“Well, I, um, am still getting used to controlling my host’s vocal systems. I sometimes tend to slip up on different words.” I stammered. My heart started pounding in my chest again, but to my relief Applebloom just laughed.

“Ah understand. Ah had trouble talking at first, too. This body is far different from a Taxxon. And while this accent is annoyin’, it beats the insane and ravenous hunger.”

“Yeah, my first host was a human. Much different than these Changelings.” I spoke while fighting back a horrible shiver in my spine. I didn’t like to remember my brief time as a Yeerk. “If you don’t mind me asking, why take this planet before Earth? An army of human hosts would have sped this up exponentially.”

Applebloom just shook her head. “Ah don’ know. Ah’m not high enough rank to be privy to that kinda information. But if ya ask me, Ah think Visser Seven wants Visser Three’s rank. An’ besides, Ah think a couple dozen pegasi an’ unicorns could help make Earth’s takeover a bit faster, too.” A small smile appeared on her face. “Since Visser Three still hasn’t succeeded in killing those Andalite Bandits. Ah’d love to see the look on their faces as a unicorn host levitates a chunk of a building on top of them.”

I forced out a small chuckle. “Yeah, that would show them,” I said lamely.

“Oh, yeah, Ah meant to ask you. What happened that made the weapon ship crash? You know that thing sailed clear over Ponyville? It got a lot of ponies upset. Balla961, he’s got the mayor in town, was running himself ragged making sure everyone stayed clear.” Applebloom huffed. “Ah managed to convince him to send Applejack an’ her friends to the wreckage, but they were there and back before we could capture them.

“And what’s worse is that the ship crashed straight inta the palace, so they’ve gone and enhanced their security. It’d take forever t’ get one of ours in, what with their force fields and Changeling tests,” Applebloom explained. I had to fight not to smile; it seemed crashing into the palace helped, in a way.

“I haven’t heard much, but I think the general idea is that there was some sort of computer glitch,” I lied, unless you count hacking as a glitch.

“Ah bet the Bandits had a hand in it,” Applebloom said after a moment. “It wouldn’t surprise me if they sabotaged the ship. Visser Three’s security protocols have gotta be worse than any other Visser Ah’ve seen. Ah think he’s only even a Visser ‘cause he’s got an Andalite host.”

“You think Visser Seven should have his position?”

“Any Yeerk would be better than him. Even me in this host.” Applebloom looked around for a moment. “It’s getting late. Ah think Applejack’ll be lookin’ fer me about now. You should head back. Remember, we don’t have permission t’ move until the moon overtakes the sun.” With that she began quickly making her way back towards the farmhouse. I waited until she was a fair distance away, then bolted, running for the barn where the others were staying as fast as I could.


I burst into the barn, panting and heaving for breath. I looked around quickly; Jake and Marco were still in morph, practicing their magic. Ax was standing right beside them, watching with what I assume was astonishment. Rachel was standing against the far wall while Tobias was perched above her. The two of them seemed like they were having a deep conversation, but both looked up at me as I ran in.

“Oh, good, you’re back,” Twilight began. “I was beginning to wonder if you’d gotten lost.”

I shook my head incessantly.

“Guys, we have a problem.” I quickly filled them in on my conversation with Applebloom. When I told them she was a controller Twilight refused to believe it at first, but she soon agreed with me once I’d finished explaining.

The room was quiet for a long while. Everyone shifted nervously and cast furtive glances at the large barn door. Finally Jake broke the silence.

“We have to help.”

<Prince Jake, I do not believe it to be wise for us to interfere,> Ax said. <We have no way of telling who is infested and who is not, we have no way of determining how many of these...Changelings we may need to fight again, or how many normal ponies are controllers. And while we waste time here, Earth is left defenseless.>

“What about my detection spell?” Twilight pitched in. “I could teach it to you and Marco, then we could see if somepony is infested.” She looked at Jake and Marco. “It’s not that difficult of a spell, and you two have been making remarkable progress.”

<We cannot rely on your illusions to stop the entire Yeerk force,> Ax said.

“Plus that still leaves us with the Changelings,” Marco said.

“I’ve seen the Changelings before, when they attacked Canterlot during my brother’s wedding,” Twilight spoke again. “They are near identical to the ponies they copy, but if you know what to look for they are easy to spot. Plus ever since their attack the Princesses have developed ways of detecting them.”

“Oh, that’s a big help,” Marco sarcastically said. “All we have to do is get to know each and every pony personally, then we can tell when a Changeling is trying to fool us.”

“Well then, what’s your big plan Marco?” Rachel asked in a near angry tone. “Run up to a controller and levitate a stick in front of them?”

“Everyone shut up!” Jake shouted. The room went silent almost immediately and we all looked at Jake, who was scowling. “This pointless bickering isn’t getting us anywhere.” He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply before continuing. “Look, the fact of the matter is, Equestria seems to be in just as much trouble as Earth. We were just supposed to deny the troops coming here their weapons, but we failed in that regard. From what Applebloom told us, the Yeerks are planning to make their final move soon, which means the entire planet will be overrun.

“If that happens, the Yeerks will have a very powerful resource. No one on Earth would be prepared to fight unicorns and pegasi. I can’t think of any species we’ve come across that would know how to react to seeing an army of ponies marching on them. We cannot let them take Equestria, and I’ll stake everything I have on making sure they don’t succeed here.”

The room was silent for what felt like eons after Jake finished talking. The silence was broken, however, by the faint sound of chimes bumping in the wind. Curiously I followed the sound and my eyes fell on Jake’s flank. Just then the chimes stopped and his flanks emitted a bright light that lasted no longer than a second. When it receded a beautiful banner, orange on black and with a crouching tiger as its sigil, was displayed.

“Woah, what’s that all about?” Marco asked after a moment. Jake looked at him in confusion, and Marco gestured at the strange symbol.

“Oh, wow! You got your Cutie Mark!” Twilight exclaimed.

“My what?” Jake asked, following Marco’s outstretched hoof and looking at the banner. His eyes grew wide and his mouth dropped open in shock.