• Published 27th May 2012
  • 12,789 Views, 2,025 Comments

My Little Pony: Morphing is Magic - Tricondon



The Mane 6 team up with another Main 6 to fight a new threat.

  • ...
37
 2,025
 12,789

Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Luna

“...and then Prince Jake led the others into the Changeling Hive,” Twilight said. “We saw the Yeerk leader and she tried to infest us, but luckily we escaped before that. However, the Hive collapsed in the process. For all I know I’m the only one who got out.”

“Oh my, I hope no Changelings were hurt,” Fluttershy added softly.

“Changelings? What about Ja—er, Prince Jake?” Cassie asked, concern clearly evident in her voice. She had returned to her normal state and was currently seated next to her hawk companion on my bed. We had unanimously decided to take this conversation somewhere private, lest we be overheard. “Or Rachel? Or Applejack? Or the others?”

“I don’t know,” Twilight replied. “The last time I saw them they were heading into one of the smaller tunnels.”

<If the Hive is anything like a giant ant mound there may be other entrances,> Tobias mused. I made a mental note to do some research in this telepathic communication these aliens possessed; it could be quite a boon in the correct hooves. <Sure wish we still had Illusion with us. He might know of a few areas we could look.>

“We are most displeased that thou attempted heroics without our assistance,” I began. “Surely a contingent of royal guards would have aided you greatly, if either my sister or myself were unable to leave Canterlot.”

“We didn’t have the time to contact you,” Cassie said. I must say, the more I saw these creatures the more they intrigued me. Even when not talking I found it hard to take my eyes from Cassie. “The Changelings attacked Ponyville and we had to get a group of refugees to safety.”

“Why did you not bring them here?” I asked, somewhat offended.

“We figured the Yeerks were going to come here next, which, as Twilight said, is why we went to the Changeling Hive,” Rarity continued. “And even if they weren’t, the Everfree Forest is on the far side of Ponyville from Canterlot. We would have to have gone over town to get here, which would have given the Changelings plenty of opportunities to attack us.”

“We’re wasting time!” Rainbow Dash cut in. “We shouldn’t be talking like this! Prince Jake and the others need our help! Why are we just sitting around here?”

“We can’t just go rushing back there without a plan,” Twilight said. “And besides, they’d be on high alert.”

“And we need to make sure Applebloom’s alright,” Cassie added.

Rainbow Dash went silent after that. The news that they’d lost Applejack’s sister had affected each of them, though Rainbow seemed to be taking it the worst. A hush fell over the room and everypony seemed determined to look at something besides each other. I stole a glance at the window, though I could not see the sun from where I was positioned.

The knowledge of these Yeerks shed new light on Celestia’s behaviour, and yet I could not shake the sensation that I had acted too rashly, too impulsively. It was obvious that Celestia had been acting careless towards our subjects, but was that truly enough of a reason for banishment? If Tia had been infested, as the aliens put it, then it should have been my duty to heal her, not deny her her freedom. And yet, Yeerks were supposed to be able to mimic their host’s actions; if she were infested, would I ever know? Unless her odd behaviour was her way of getting a message to me.

No, Luna, I silently admonished myself. You mustn’t begin second-guessing yourself now.

“Princess,” Twilight spoke, pulling me away from my thoughts. “Given the current situation, I think it would be best if you gave me and my friends the Elements of Harmony.”

“Hold it,” Pinkie said, “We don’t have Applejack. How could we even use our elements without her?”

“I could always morph Applejack?” Cassie said.

I shook my head at her. “It does not work in that manner, child. The Elements of Harmony bond to a pony by their characteristics, not their form.” Something stirred in the back of my mind and I turned to Twilight. “Though Pinkie does have a point. How do you plan to use the Elements without the Bearer of Honesty?”

Twilight didn’t respond right away, instead closing her eyes and inhaling slowly. “What I meant was—”

The sound of breaking glass cut Twilight off. I instinctively swung towards the sound, readying an array of spells. To my side I sensed Twilight doing the same.

“Cutie Mark Crusader Super Spy! Yeah!”

“Applebloom?” Rainbow asked, perking up.

I relaxed a little, letting my spells dissipate. “Child? Why did you not enter through the door? Also, how did you climb up here in the first place?”

“Oh, that was easy once the guards brought me inside,” she said proudly. “As fer the door, Ah couldn’t risk it. What with all these Yeerks around.”

“What?” I shouted, momentarily startled enough to lapse into the Royal Canterlot Voice. I took a few moments to compose myself before asking, “Are you insinuating that the castle is overthrown?”

<It’s always a possibility,> Tobias said.

“Hold on a second,” Cassie interrupted. I looked around for her and eventually spotted her peeking out from behind the bed, curiously keeping a watchful eye on Applebloom. “Aren’t you a controller too, Applebloom? Why should other Yeerks worry you?”

The filly’s ears dropped to the side of her head. “Dessie... she died.”

“Dessie? Who’s Dessie?” Twilight asked.

“Desla. My Yeerk,” Applebloom said softly. “She died just before the guards found me.”

“She died? But...you appear to be perfectly fine,” Twilight said hesitantly. “Spike was rather out-of-sorts for a few hours.”

“Dessie... she sort of left me before she actually died. Ah guess she didn’t want me goin’ through it with her.”

<As fascinating as this is, this isn’t helping us rescue Prince Jake and the others,> Tobias interrupted. <Where are these Elements you mentioned, Twilight?>

“The Elements are kept in a chest behind a locked door that only Princess Celestia can open,” she explained methodically. “For their protection, of course.”

“You know, it has been bothering me. Where is Princess Celestia anyways?” Rarity asked. I steeled myself, willing my body not to betray my emotions.

“As We said, Our sister is away. We regret that she has elected to leave at this time, but We are certain she had her reasons.” Was I imagining things, or did Twilight hide a smirk? “But you needn’t worry. We are more than capable of opening the door ourselves.”

“We still need Applejack though,” Rainbow Dash protested.

“It will be more efficient to bring Applejack her Element rather than collecting her and coming back here,” Rarity explained. “Really, Rainbow, I do wish you’d think before speaking your mind.”

“Ah wanna come too!” Applebloom cried. “If mah sister’s in danger then Ah need ta help!”

I headed for the door and threw it open. “There is little point to arguing who gets to go until the Elements are securely in your hooves. Come, Twilight, let us make haste.”

“Right,” she replied. The rest of the element bearers nodded in unison and made their way out. Tobias spread his wings and Cassie got to her feet as well, but I shook my head at them.

“You two must remain here,” I said. “Neither of you are element bearers, and this one requires superveillance.” I made a small nod towards Applebloom. The filly looked at Cassie in awe.

“What’re you? You’re not an Andalite, are ya?”

“No, I’m not,” Cassie began. I smiled and used my magic to draw the curtains over the damaged window before departing after Twilight and her friends. They hadn’t covered much ground, so I was able to catch up fairly easily.

We walked in silence for a time, only breaking it when We accepted a greeting from a palace guard or staff. I remembered Applebloom’s words, and wondered just how many of these courteous greetings were truly intended. How many of these smiles were masks, playing the part until the opportune moment. Is this how Celestia felt?

Finally we approached the lavender double-doors that lead into the Hall of the Elements. Effortlessly I opened the door, revealing the long red carpet that covered the floor and the single door at the far end, easily distinguished by its violet, lavender, and magenta colouring. The element bearers quickened their paces, but I found myself slowing to stare at several of the stained glass windows that bordered us. Each one depicted a historical event where the Elements of Harmony had been used to safeguard our nation.

Twilight was the first to reach the door and turned around, looking at me impatiently. Something about her seemed strange, yet I wrote it off as her wanting to save her friends without further delay. Prying my eyes away from the glass images I hurried over to the door, lowering my head to the small, golden star shaped hole in its center. Carefully I inserted my horn into the lock and channeled my magic before quickly stepping back. As I did, the lines that divided the colours on the door began to glow bright blue, even projecting the light outwards towards us as the door slowly opened to reveal a small jeweled box.

“Can I have the box this time?” Rarity asked innocently. Everypony turned to her with unamused expressions on their faces. “Hehe, of course, after we save Equestria, that is.”

I levitated the box forward and opened it, revealing the five necklaces and single tiara that are the Elements of Harmony. “Here you go, Twilight Sparkle. You and your friends must save Equestria from this new threat.”

I carefully levitated the Elements out of their container and began placing them on their respective bearers. I finished by placing Twilights on her and then passing Applejack’s element to her. However, no sooner had the tiara touched her head when it began to shine intensely. The other five followed it, and a thin rainbow light began connecting them. Before any of us could try and interject, the Elements emitted a burst of blinding light. I heard myself cry in surprise and instinctively used my wings to block my face.

The light passed as quickly as it came, and I hesitantly peeked out from behind my wing. Twilight and her friends seemed disoriented and confused, though I could hardly blame them. “What was that all about?” I wondered aloud.

“The Elements!” Twilight cried. It was then that I realized that neither her nor any of the other bearers had their elements present. Even the Element of Honesty was missing. I quickly glanced around, hoping that they had merely fallen off in the blinding light, but to no avail.

The Elements were gone.

Author's Note:

Written by Samaru163 and Tricondon.