• Published 27th May 2012
  • 12,826 Views, 2,025 Comments

My Little Pony: Morphing is Magic - Tricondon



The Mane 6 team up with another Main 6 to fight a new threat.

  • ...
37
 2,025
 12,826

Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Fluttershy

Darkness.

Silence.

Trapped.

Screaming. Was it me?

Light. Get to the light.

A weight lifted off my back. My wings snapped open and I bit down on the jolt of pain this caused as I leapt into the air. Or, I thought it was the air. All around me there was still darkness. Were my eyes closed? I opened them and the darkness lifted, replaced by destruction. I nearly shut my eyes again at the sight, but somehow managed to keep them open and look around. Splinters of wood littered the ground, and around me like the bones of some great beast was the shattered hull of our ship. Heat rushed up behind me, and when I turned to look I was greeted with the remnants of the balloon, now a torn, decimated rag covered in fire. Below the flames I spotted the ships wheel, now shattered into five pieces and burned black, flames still licking at it. Did this mean that the others...

I squeezed my eyes shut, welcoming back the darkness. For a long while I just hovered there, unable to move. Around me I could hear the ship groan and creak as the flames consumed it, crackling in the way that fire does. I smiled involuntarily as the scent of pine washed over me. With a squeak I forced my eyes open and my smile faded. The entire ship was aflame and I belatedly realized that I couldn’t hear any other voices.

“Rainbow Dash! Rarity!” I cried as loud as I could. When nopony replied I hurriedly flew around, taking care to avoid the flames. “Pinkie! Tobias! Please...”

I blinked away a few tears before they could hamper my vision and opened my mouth to yell again when a flash of movement caught my eye. I turned to get a better look and gasped as I saw Tobias laying amidst the flames, a plank of wood pinning his wing down. The smoke stung at my eye, so I was forced to fly around the fire. Luckily I discovered a small gap in the flames just big enough for me to fly through safely. The fire came within inches of my fur, but I managed to fly down to where Tobias was laying. Again the smoke blinded my eyes, and I felt my throat begin to burn. I felt like collapsing with my hooves over my head then and there, and probably would have if Tobias hadn’t chosen that moment to try to speak.

<Ow.>

I snapped partially out of my panicked state. Fighting back the stinging pain in my eyes I spotted Tobias again and quickly rushed over to him. I felt the air turn to fire as I inhaled, and I let out a flurry of painful coughs.

“Tobias! It’s ok, I got you!” I said soothingly and tried to lift the plank holding him down, but it was too heavy, and I couldn’t get my hooves underneath it in the first place.

<Fluttershy?> Tobias said. I thought he sounded disoriented, too. <What happened? Why does my wing hurt?>

“Don’t,” I paused and let out another round of coughs. “Don’t move.” I blinked away tears and scanned the surrounding area for something, anything that could help me move this plank. Through the veil of smoke I was able to see a nearby shape of promising size. Flying over, I saw that it was a broken piece of wood. The fire was just beginning to lick at it, so I pulled it away before they could take hold —although the wood was slightly burned from the close call. Quickly I inspected it over; the length was just enough that I could wedge it between Tobias and the wood and lift the plank off. I used this thought to will myself back towards him with the piece, coughing the entire way. It was getting harder to breath by the minute, and my throat felt like it was being raked by flaming claws every time I swallowed a breath.

“This, um, may hurt a little...” I said nervously as I jammed my makeshift lever under the plank and leapt on it with all my weight. Of course, I didn’t realize just how much of a stupid idea this was until Tobias shrieked in pain and I realized that I wasn’t lifting the plank so much as I was pushing it, and dragging his wing along with it.

A loud CRACK split the air, followed by Tobias screaming — only not with his thought-speech, but with his actual voice, crying out like a bird. I cringed at the horrible sound and dropped the lever.

“Tobias, are you alright?”

<Well... I’m not trapped... and I’m still alive right now, so yes.> There was a brief pause during which the stump of his wing twitched. <Though I think I’m landlocked at the moment.>

“C-can you still morph?” I said between coughs. He gave a small nod and already I could see his eyes swelling and shifting towards the sides of his head. Soon he began to grow larger, and I saw a new wing grow from where I had... torn off the previous. Although, this one was coloured yellow, which was when I realized he was changing into me.

It didn’t take too long for him to finish, and he quickly rose to my, er, his hooves. He flapped both wings, almost as if testing them, and then jumped into the air with a self-satisfied smirk. I smiled at him before flapping my own wings and escaped the smoking ruin.

I can’t remember the last time I had been so happy to see the bright blue sky, even with a great plume of smoke blotting out a part of it. Large sections of the mountainside were burned black, with smaller trees and bushes smoldering slightly. All around lay scattered pieces of the ship still on fire, likely thrown clear during our abrupt stop. Once I was in the sky I greedily sucked in all the air I could, coughing out the last remnants of smoke.

“Fluttershy! Over here!”

I swung my head around and finally spotted Twilight and Rarity some distance away, standing at the edge of the crash zone. I also spotted Pinkie and Applejack standing over Rainbow Dash, who wasn’t moving. I flew over as fast as I could and landed next to her. Rainbow’s fur was singed in multiple places and she was covered in cuts and blood, but she was breathing. Somepony had fashioned a bandage and wrapped it around her head, covering her left eye.

“This isn’t fun anymore...” Pinkie said softly. Her mane was drooping around her head and her tail had gone limp. Dimly I noticed that she was having slight troubles breathing and her sides were heavily bandaged.

Rarity trotted over to us, somehow devoid of injury, although her mane was covered in soot. “Fluttershy, dear, are you alright?”

“I, um, don’t know. Am I?” I glanced down over my body; besides a few burned patches of fur and minor scrapes I didn’t seem to be in bad shape. “I’m fine...” I said softly.

“What happened anyway?” Cassie interrupted me. “Twilight, did the engines explode or something?”

“No, I mean, they shouldn’t have,” she replied. “Even if they did die, they wouldn’t have exploded. And certainly not in that manner. And even without the engines we should have been able to make a more controlled landing.”

Rarity continued, “I’m fairly certain that the balloon caught fire from the explosion. Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t the engines nowhere near the balloon?”

“We were shot,” Twilight said matter-of-factly. “I think it’s safe to assume that we were hit multiple times. One took out the balloon, the second blew up the engine.” There was something odd about what she was saying, but I couldn’t quite place it.

“Well, at least everyone seems to be ok,” Tobias spoke up. “How is Rainbow?”

“Well, she’s suffering from some blunt force trauma, but she’ll survive,” Cassie said. “She’ll have to wear this cast for a day at least.”

“Oh dear, I hope she won’t be too mad...” I said softly while looking at Rainbow. After a moment I turned and glanced at the burning remains. “Um, how are we gonna get to Canterlot now?”

“Twilight, dear, do you think you could teleport us a short distance?” Rarity asked sweetly, batting her eyes.

Twilight shook her head sadly. “No, sorry. I’m pretty drained from overcharging the engines. I might be able to do one or two of us, but there’s a chance we may end up embedded in a tree or something.”

“What about if we got closer?” Rarity asked.

Twilight put a hoof on her chin. “Yes, that would reduce the risk of undesired interpenetration.”

“One problem,” Tobias began. “Our ship crashed along the quickest path through the mountains.”

“Not to mention the fact that Rainbow is out cold,” Cassie added. “Having to carry her will slow us down.” No sooner had she spoken did Twilight levitate Rainbow in the air, keeping her very steady. Cassie gave a timid laugh. “Or, uh, we could do that.”

“Ok, now what path should we take?” Rarity asked, exasperated.

“I spotted a small goat path left of the crash,” Tobias said. “It’ll be a tricky climb, but there’s no fire.”

“I have an idea,” Pinkie added, pointing a hoof to the sky. “We could ask them for help.”

I followed her hoof and spotted a regiment of royal guards circling the crash site. Mixed among them were grey coloured guards in violet armour and leathery wings replacing their normal ones. They seemed to be scanning the area slowly, until one of them spotted us and signaled those closest to him. Within moments two royal guards and two night guards landed on either side of us. One of the royal guards stepped forward and spoke.

“Is this everypony on board? Are there injured still within?”

“No, sir, everypony’s fine,” Twilight said. “Rainbow Dash here is the only one in any serious condition.”

The royal guard nodded and motioned to his partner, who flew off back the way they came. We waited for a few moments, standing around in awkward silence, before a booming voice sounded.

“Twilight Sparkle! We had despaired of ever seeing you again.” All of us, save the guards, swung towards the voice in time to see Princess Luna fly in and land just outside of our circle, scrutinizing each of us. I quickly bowed low and remained like that until she said, “Fluttershy, thou may rise.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” I rose quickly, my face being slightly hidden behind my mane.

“We are most unhappy that you missed our scheduled appointment,” Princess Luna began. Her tone was harsh, though she did have a smile on her face. Something about it seemed forced to me. “But we are pleased to see you well. Some of you. Where are the others?”

“There was an incident at the Changeling Hive,” Twilight said. “They were trapped inside when the main tunnel collapsed, and we couldn’t go in after them. That’s why we came, we need you and Princess Celestia to help.”

“Celestia is...” Princess Luna’s voice faltered for a moment. It was so bizarre to hear her powerful voice sound so meek and helpless. The moment passed as quickly as it came and Luna resumed talking, none of her earlier weakness present. “Celestia is busy elsewhere at the moment.”

“She is?” Twilight asked. She looked lost in thought for a few moments.

“Let us return to Canterlot and thou may inform us of thy plight.” With that, Luna briskly turned around and said something to her guards, whom motioned for us to follow. I glanced at the others; Rarity and Pinkie were each helping carry Rainbow, which I noted as odd since Twilight was levitating her not too long ago. Cassie and Tobias were both speaking to each other, but I couldn’t make out what they were saying. From their expressions I guessed that Cassie was relieved, but Tobias was nervous about something. I couldn’t see Twilight and thought for a moment that she was up ahead talking to Princess Luna, but I instead found her looking at the ruins of our ship.

“Um, Twilight? Are you alright?” I asked gently. Twilight seemed startled by me, and I gave a slight shake of my head, letting my mane cover more of my face. “Oh, um, did I scare you? Sorry...”

“It’s alright, Fluttershy,” she reassured me. “I’m just... worried.”

I smiled as best as I could. “It’s ok. Princess Luna will help. And maybe Celestia will, too.”

She smiled back to me, and I heard the sound of wings flapping on the wind. Turning to the source, I was met with two guards pulling a large gold chariot through the sky before landing in front of us. We were quickly ushered on and were soon flying through the air, headed for Canterlot.

“I sure hope this was the right thing to do,” Tobias muttered. Oddly enough, I was thinking the same thing. I couldn’t say exactly why, but something was nagging at my mind. I shook my head slightly and turned to look at Canterlot in the distance. Surely, whatever problems we had would be over soon. The Princesses would make sure of that.

Author's Note:

Written by Samaru163 and Tricondon.