• Published 27th May 2012
  • 12,791 Views, 2,025 Comments

My Little Pony: Morphing is Magic - Tricondon



The Mane 6 team up with another Main 6 to fight a new threat.

  • ...
37
 2,025
 12,791

Chapter 12

Author's Note: Written by Samaru163 and Tricondon.

Chapter 12

Ax


I trust Prince Jake as my leader, but sometimes even I question his decisions. I was not looking forward to meeting Twilight’s friends; they were untrustworthy. I had no idea if they could keep a secret, or even if none of them were truly controllers. We had not even met three of them besides our first encounter.

“I’m still not really OK with this,” Cassie said. Out of all of us she had the most confusing of morals, primarily when it came to the acquiring of sentient species.

The sound of hoofbeats nearing us caught my attention, and moments later Twilight came back into view, with five more equines behind her. They eyed us with suspicion, particularly the blue one. I tensed up a little, swinging my tail-blade from side to side in anticipation. Fortunately, she seemed to be under better control than during our first encounter.

“Oh, my. They are quite unusual,” the white one said as she came into view. It took me a moment to recognize her as Rarity. I assumed she was speaking of Prince Jake and the others, since she saw me in my true form just the day before.

“Eh, they’re not that special,” the rainbow-maned one said. “No wonder they turn into animals. Bet they can’t even fight like this.” There was a derogatory tone to her voice.

“I think they look, um, interesting,” the yellow one spoke in a very soft tone, almost inaudible. I assumed she was frightened by us.

“If you like hairless monkeys,” the rainbow one spoke again.

“Rainbow Dash, be polite!” Twilight spoke up, a hint of anger in her voice. Behind me, I could hear Marco trying not to laugh.

“It’s like looking at a horse version of Rachel,” he said under his breath.

I was suddenly aware of a weight on my back. I swung my stalk eyes around and nearly fell over. The pink equine was seated there. I was shocked for a moment. Not seconds earlier she had been standing with her friends. Even with all four eyes, I had managed to miss her movements.

“Hiya, Aximimimi! Gonna copy me now?” She asked excitedly.

<Why would you want me?> I asked, still slightly in shock. She looked at me for a moment and her smile widened to a near unthinkable size.

“I just peeked ahead and knew we were meant to be!”

“Looks like Ax has himself a girlfriend,” Marco whispered.

“Wait, copy us? What’re you talkin’ about, Pinkie?” the orange equine asked, stepping forward. She wore a hat on her head, the only one who bothered to wear any clothing.

“I don’t fully understand it myself,” Twilight began, “but they need to copy us so they can walk around Ponyville unhindered.”

<Wait, even me?> Tobias asked. <I’m a hawk. I’ve already seen plenty of those around. I don’t see any need to change at all.>

“I, well, Princess Luna ordered me to keep an eye on you, and I can’t do that very well if you’re always flying above me,” Twilight explained. I wondered if this ‘Princess Luna’ was anything like Prince Jake.

“Plus it would look suspicious if the same hawk was spotted circling the same horses,” Prince Jake spoke. “That’s why, Tobias.”

The yellow one looked at Tobias with kind eyes.

“If you’d like, you could copy me. I love animals. Plus you could still fly.”

“Forget it, Twi!” the rainbow one spoke up. “I’m not letting anypony copy me! There can only be one Rainbow Dash. Any more would just be uncool.”

“Are you sure she’s not a horse version of you Marco?” Prince Jake whispered. “She’s pretty full of herself.”

To my surprise, Rachel was the one who laughed. She pointed at the blue equine with a smirk on her face.

“What makes you think you’re all that cool to begin with?”

“'Cause I’m the fastest flyer in all of Equestria, the only pony to have accomplished a Sonic Rainboom, and the town’s residential hero!” she said rather proudly. I could see the other equines roll their eyes in annoyance. I guessed that she bragged like this often.

“Oh really? Wouldn’t you like to see who’s better? The original or a copy?” Rachel teased.

“There is no way some stinking copy can contend with me.”

“How would you know that? Have you ever gone against one?” Rachel asked slyly. The blue horse flew up, starring Rachel in the eyes and floating right in front of her. She was raising her front hooves up in imitation of a human getting ready to punch another.

“I just know! There’s no need to prove anything!”

“Sounds like someone unsure of herself.”

“I’m not unsure of myself! I can beat anypony who challenges me! Even a lousy copy!”

Rachel leaned closer and stared right into the equines eyes. “Then prove it.”

The horse scowled.

“Bring. It. On.”

Smiling, Rachel placed a hand on the equines neck. Its body began to grow relaxed and it went into the acquiring trance as the others watched with fascination and uncertainty. Then as quickly as it began Rachel pulled her hand away and the horse straightened herself out.

“That’s it? Ha, I was expecting something more thrilling.”

“Oh, me next me next!” Pinkie shouted eagerly as she bounced off my back and continued bouncing in place in front of me. I looked to the others for assistance with the hyperactive creature, but they all smiled and made gestures for me to proceed.

I rolled my eyes - a habit I picked up from humans - and placed a hand on the top of Pinkie’s head. I concentrated and began acquiring her DNA, but to my surprise she did not go fully into the acquiring trance like any other creature would. She was still bouncing happily, although at a much slower rate.

“Oh, that tickles!” she giggled as I pulled my hand back, and I found myself somewhat uncertain if morphing this creature would be the best course of action.

“Um, this won’t hurt will it?” a timid voice asked. I swung my eyestalks over to see Tobias perched on the yellow horse’s back. He seemed to be communicating with her privately, and soon after she entered the acquiring trance as well. “That was...interesting,” she spoke again once it was over.

“Well, I guess I’ll take Twilight,” Prince Jake said. “Uh, if she has no objections, of course.” he quickly added after Cassie gave him a harsh look.

“Really?” Twilight asked in surprise, though she was clearly excited at the prospect.

“Again, only if you’re ok with it.”

She considered it for a second before responding.

“Sure.”

Prince Jake stepped forward and touched her neck. After a moment he stepped back with the rest of us.

“Shoot, sugarcube. Do Ah really gotta do this?” the orange hat-wearing equine spoke up.

“Oh don’t be like that Applejack, this could be fun,” Rarity said. “You’d have another set of hooves to help with your farm work wouldn’t you?” After saying this, her eyes lit up and she smiled broadly. “Ooh, I could have somepony to model my dresses for me!”

I saw Cassie and Marco both look at each other in fear.

“I’ll take the farm worker!” Cassie said quickly.

“I’ll take the far...oh, darn it!” Marco said moments after.

“I’m sure it won’t be so bad Marco,” Cassie said reassuringly. “Besides, my parents own a barn. I’m more suited for that type of stuff.” Cautiously she approached the orange horse and quickly acquired it.

Marco sulked as he walked up to Rarity. She didn’t seem to notice his bad mood, and only realized he was next to her when he touched her neck and began acquiring her.

“So now what?” Twilight asked when Marco had finished.

“Now we have to morph. Um, you might want to look away. This part is never pleasant to watch,” Prince Jake instructed.

The yellow equine quickly excused herself. With a nod from Twilight, the others walked back into the underbrush, though Twilight stayed.

“I’m rather curious to see how you do this,” she explained.

“Ok, but know that we did warn you,” Prince Jake responded. With that he nodded to us and I began focusing on Pinkie’s image.

The first thing that happened was my fur turned the same shade of pink. It was a very uncomfortable sight, made no better by Marco’s snickers. I was most unprepared for what happened next, though. One second my head was normal, the next a thick pink mane popped into existence. I nearly lost my concentration at that; normally hair and fur grows out from beneath the skin in a sped-up version of reality. I could see nothing through my eyestalks except pink. They soon slithered back into my skull however, so it didn’t last long.

The ground rushed up to meet me as I shrank to meet Pinkie’s normal height. My arms withered and twisted back into my body as my eyes shifted to the sides of my head and grew immensely in size. I could feel my face tingling as I grew a snout and a mouth opened. I ran my new tongue over my still-growing teeth and giggled in Pinkie’s voice. Finally my tail shrank and was covered in hair identical to that which was on my head.

I looked at the others, who had also finished morphing. Despite their appearances being based on identical DNA, there were differences between my friends and the equines we had morphed into. Marco’s hair was loosely falling around his head, along with Cassie’s. Rachel’s hair was neat and even looked combed. Tobias’s face was not hidden by his hair, and his posture was certainly more confident than the yellow horse’s normal demeanor. Prince Jake was the only one who could be an exact match for his choice.

Suddenly reminded of Twilight I swerved my head to look at her. She had backed against a tree and seemed to be at a loss of words. Despite this, I caught great fascination in her eyes.

“Are you alright?” I asked her, though using Pinkie’s voice was quite distracting. I was constantly fighting an urge to laugh.

“That was...certainly an interesting experience,” Twilight finally said.

“Hey, guys?” Marco asked. “Is anyone else able to use thoughtspeak? Because I can’t.”

“Aww, what’s wrong Marco? Don’t like the sound of your own voice?” Rachel asked teasingly. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Twilight smiling.

“That sounds exactly like something Rainbow would say,” she said.

“Hey, Marco’s right,” Prince Jake interjected. “I can’t use thoughtspeak either.”

Somewhat worried, I tried speaking to Tobias privately.

<Tobias? Can you hear me?>

<Yes, I can hear you just fine,> he said.

“Prince Jake, I am still able to communicate via thoughtspeak, as is Tobias.”

“Me too,” Cassie said. We all looked at Rachel, who nodded.

“Huh, well this is certainly strange,” Prince Jake wondered.

“What do you think the problem is?” Twilight asked.

I could hold it back no longer. I burst out laughing and pointed at Twilight and Prince Jake.

“It’s just so strange hearing both Twilights speak at the same time!” I said, half-giggling my words.

“I think Pinkie might have infected Ax,” Marco said.

Before any of the others could respond I suddenly found a pair of pink hooves poking and prodding at me. Looking around I saw Pinkie observing me with a huge smile on her face.

“Wow, another me! Oh this is the best thing ever! We can have twice as much fun, twice as much baking, twice as much smiling, and twice as much partying!”

I tried desperately to get away from the rambling horse, but she wouldn’t let up. I tried looking to the others for assistance, but they were busy with the other horses. Like Pinkie they were all amazed by what stood before their eyes.

“Oh this simply won’t do!” Rarity said, looking at Marco’s hair. “I refuse to allow myself to look so atrocious! I must get you back to my boutique immediately!”

“Huh, Ah’m kinda confused. At least the Changelings could copy mah hat as well,” the orange mare said, tipping the hat in question. “And we’ll halfta do somethin’ about that mane. S’not good to let it hang freely like that. Ya could git it caught in some machinery.”

“Ha, you may look like me, but you ain’t me!” Rainbow shouted, flying around Rachel in a tight circle. Rachel huffed and tried to fly as well, but could only flap her wings pathetically. “Haha, I’d thought you’d put up more of a challenge than that.”

“Girls! Er, and...shapeshifters?” Twilight shouted. “It’s getting late. We should get back into town.”

“We think it’s best for us all to split up into three groups of four. And no one should be with their double,” Jake said.

“We’ll all meet at my library in one hour. Try to take a different path than anypony else.” Twilight picked up where Jake left off.

“Two of us, and two of the originals to a group,” Prince Jake ordered.

Pinkie burst out laughing.

“It’s so strange hearing two Twilights speak at the same time!” she half-giggled her words. I laughed as well.

“I said that not five minutes ago! Aaaago Ah-go.”

Pinkie giggled some more.

“You sound so silly Aximimimimimi.”

“Oh my God, please make them stop!” Marco cried, covering his ears with his hooves. He pulled his hooves away and stared at them, as if trying to comprehend how it was possible. “How can you...never mind. Just promise me those two are going to be as far away from each other as possible.”

“That’s the plan, Marco,” Tobias said, his voice nearly as soft as the original equine’s. “At least until we meet up at Twilight’s library.”

“Rainbow, you and Rarity will watch over Prince Jake and Cassie,” Twilight said. “Pinkie, you go with Fluttershy and lead Marco and Rachel. I’ll go with Applejack, Ax, and Tobias.”

“Then what should we do from there?” Cassie asked.

“The Princess wants to see you all in Canterlot, but the next train doesn’t leave until early tomorrow morning. So, we’ll all have to have a big slumber party while we wait,” Twilight explained.

“Slumber party? Really?” Marco asked.

“Oh it’ll be fun, and I’ll be able to fix up this dreadful mane of ours,” Rarity said, picking at Marco’s hair again. I could see Marco grimace and close his eyes in frustration.

“I suggest we waste no more time. Let’s head out everypony,” Twilight said. Soon we split into our groups and made our ways to the edge of the forest.

<Hey, Ax-man?> Tobias asked. <You’re bouncing, not walking.>

“I am?” I said out loud. I stopped moving, unaware of what I was doing. I let out a small giggle at my own actions.

“Ya know, if Ah didn’t see two Pinkies back there, Ah’d swear this one was the real thing,” Applejack said. “That and the lack of a Cutie Mark.”

“A what?” Tobias asked.

“A Cutie Mark is the symbol on everypony’s flank that shows their special talent,” Twilight said. “Strangely none of you seem to have ours.”

“You said these marks reflect talents correct?” I asked.

“Yes, a pony only obtains it when they learn who they are and what they are best at in life.”

I brought a hoof to my chin and pondered her words.

“Perhaps we lack these marks because morphing is based on DNA.”

“But shouldn’t we get our own marks, then?” Tobias asked. “I mean, if it’s based off of what we’re best at in life, it should be something related to us.”

“Well, maybe ya jus’ haven’t figured out what yer best at yet,” Applejack explained.

“At any rate we don’t have time to. The Yeerks are a higher priority. Pri-ore-ity. Prio-rity.”

The others all looked at me oddly, and I realized I was giggling again. Quickly I straightened up and we continued on our way to town.

If it was odd that Tobias and myself lacked these Cutie Marks, none of the other horses in town seemed to notice. I found myself looked around in wonder as we walked through the town. Twilight was pointing out buildings as we passed, but I was only half-listening, more interested in the actual inhabitants than the town itself. Far above, flying equines pushed the clouds around, just as Tobias had said they could. I stopped to watch them for a bit, unable to believe what I was seeing.

“How are they able to do this? It’s impossible.”

“I told you Ax, there’s something odd about this place.” Just then Twilight stopped and both Tobias’s and my jaw dropped in surprise. Before us was a large tree that seemed to have been carved into a house, and yet was still somehow alive.

“Well, here we are,” Twilight said, stepping forward and opening the door. She waved us in, and I bounced inside.

I stopped once I passed through the door. Every wall had a bookcase carved into it, and every shelf was full of books of all colours or rolled up scrolls. The others had all seated themselves in the center of the room and seemed to be talking. Pinkie immediately raised her head upon my entry and bounced over to me, grinning happily. She took me in a fierce hug.

“Aximimimimimi! You made it! I was getting worried that you might be lost, but then I remembered that Twilight was with you, and she’s super-duper smart, so she’d never get lost, but then I thought that you wandered off on your own and Twilight was out looking for you and wouldn’t get back in time and I was getting so worried! But you’re here now and everything’s ok and we can have cake and ice cream and cookies and muffins to celebrate!”

As Pinkie continued with her rambling I looked around at the others. Rachel and the blue horse were performing an act similar to what humans call ‘arm wrestling.’ Neither one appeared to be winning at the moment. Rarity was busy brushing Marco’s hair, and Marco himself had his eyes shut tightly and was gnashing his teeth.

“Can you please not go so hard?” he said with as much restraint he could muster.

“You only had one little walk through town! How did you ever get such horrid knots and tangles so quickly?” Rarity said, completely ignoring Marco’s complaints. “You will look presentable while using my form; I won’t allow for anything less.”

“I guess no one’s told her that morphing will undo her hard work,” Tobias muttered under his breath. “On the plus side, it means we get to see Marco suffer more.”

I giggled a little, something I had been doing fairly frequently while in this morph.

“So Aximimimimimimimi, want some ice cream?” Pinkie asked, offering me a bowl. I pondered for a moment how she managed to hold it without fingers, but took the bowl with my own hooves - again wondering how it was even possible - and licked it tentatively.

The explosion of flavour was like nothing I had tasted on Earth. Quickly I began grabbing the ice cream in my hooves and consuming it.

“So tasty! And flavourful!” I said between gulps of air and swallowing more ice cream.

“And you’re sure they’re not twins?” Twilight asked Prince Jake.