• Published 23rd Feb 2016
  • 6,075 Views, 2,472 Comments

Crystal's Hopes - Crystal Wishes



Crystal Wishes finally found her happily ever after, but she never thought about what came next. The life of a military wife is not as easy as she hoped it would be.

  • ...
26
 2,472
 6,075

PreviousChapters Next
Who I'm Meant to Be

Sunridge Sweets was a den of activity. The storefront below was as busy as usual with hungry customers seeking sweet treats, while the Flower Foundation occupied the living space above. Crystal sat in one of the repurposed bedrooms that was filled with ponies and paperwork. She had never anticipated how many forms there were to fill out.

Every donation had to be recorded and filed, as did every expense. There wasn't a single bit that could move without having some documentation attached to it. Of course, it was all a pointless formality; none of this was necessary—or even expected—for running a charity. Jet Ship, however, had firmly insisted on it and refused to budge on the matter.

Crystal groaned and pushed all the paperwork as far away from her as possible as she slumped onto the desk. "If I have to fill out one more form, I quit."

Wallflower laughed softly and reached over to pat her on the back. "Why don't you take a break? You have a deadline coming up, don't you?"

With another groan, Crystal rolled her head to the side to look up at Wallflower. "I do, but it's hard to write here. I get interrupted ev—"

"Who's ready for some cupcakes?" Sunbeam chimed as she walked through the doorway, her expression as cheerful as ever. At her side was Red with a tray balanced on his head and a little bowtie around his neck.

The ponies in the room chittered with delight as they left their various activities to retrieve a cupcake from the little colt. He stood tall—as tall as he could at his tiny size, of course—and smiled at them all as they fawned over him.

"See?" Crystal sighed as she gestured at the scene with both hooves. "There's no peace while I'm here."

"How is the serial going, by the way?" Wallflower returned her gaze back to the form in front of her.

Crystal relaxed into a smile and closed her eyes. "Wonderful, actually. I was worried that working after the film would make it difficult to write—and in some ways, it is. I don't feel as though I can deviate too much from how it happened in the film. But having been to Saddle Arabia, sweating in their desert and shivering in their nights, I feel so much more connected to the characters."

A clock on the wall chimed and Crystal's eyes opened to watch a unicorn look up from the work he was doing. His horn glowed, illuminating the door that led to the once-nursery-now-therapy room in the blue glow of a silencing spell. It shimmered in the absence of his magic as he returned to the folder in front of him.

Crystal watched the door with a light smirk hidden behind a hoof. If only she could learn such a spell; she couldn't even count the number of uses it could have when, say, she and Silent had foals.

Briefly, pain shot through her chest as a chilling thought followed: would it be when, or if? There were no foals or uses for silencing spells if Silent died in the war.

With a quick shake of her head, Crystal straightened up and returned to the stack of papers in need of her attention—in need of her focus. Fill out a form, set it aside, start on the next. One thing at a time. Stay in the here and now.

"Mrs. Wishes," a voice called, tearing through her thoughts, "there's a mare here to see you."

Crystal looked up with a smile. Interruptions were welcome when boring paperwork was the task at hoof. The smile quickly fell into a look of surprise when she recognized the haggard mare standing in the doorway. "Bonnie?"

Bonnie smiled, the creases at the corners of her tired eyes growing in number. "So good to see you, Crystal." She walked over to take a seat at Crystal and Wallflower's table. "I'm sorry, I'd ask if I could sit first, but I'm exhausted. Double shift at the SunBucks."

For a moment, all Crystal could do was stare. Bonnie had lost her vibrant colors, instead looking like a pale imitation of her former self—in both senses of the phrase. How long had it been since she'd slept?

"SunBucks?" Crystal blinked. "Why are you working there? What happened to your job as a food critic?"

"I ran into some problems," Bonnie said, waving her hoof. "That's actually part of why I'm here. You're doing such good work with this charity, Crystal. I thought when you left that you had given up and gone back to the Crystal Empire, but you came back stronger than before. It's really inspiring, to be honest."

Crystal started to relax into a smile. "Thank you, but I can't take all of the credit. I have a lot of help from my friends and family."

"So modest." Bonnie gave a raspy laugh. "I hope you have enough charity in your heart to hear me out."

Crystal's head tilted. "What is it? The Foundation is here to help all ponies, especially spouses."

"Exactly! I knew you'd say that. Spouses need just as much help as the soldiers themselves." Bonnie leaned in, desperation seeping into her eyes and voice. "You could help so many of us. Madame Ouija—"

The hairs on the back of Crystal's neck stood on end as she felt herself bristle, and she clenched her jaw to keep her lips from dipping into a scowl.

"—would help so many ponies like me, and if the Foundation paid for her services to offer them to the public, she could help so many more. Money shouldn't keep ponies from saying goodbye to their loved ones!"

Crystal wanted to be cordial. She wanted to say the right thing that would placate Bonnie but promise nothing. She wanted to do anything but what she did.

She jumped to her hooves and yelled, "Don't be an idiot, Bonnie!"

Bonnie reeled back and gawked, staring at her with the same wide eyes that everypony in the room had. The room went silent to allow Crystal's voice to carry further.

"Look at what she's done to you! Have you looked in a mirror? You're a victim, Bonnie!" Crystal ground her teeth to try to stop herself, but the anger bubbled in her chest and urged her to continue. "I absolutely refuse to have anything to do with that white-livered, thorough-paced scoundrel!"

Nopony moved or spoke. The silence was filled with Crystal's furious, uneven breathing that she tried to calm to no avail. The rage was on the verge of subsiding when Bonnie's expression hardened into a sneer.

"I should have known you wouldn't have changed. You're still a judgmental little mare with her head in the clouds!" Bonnie rose to her hooves, her knees shaking slightly from either anger or exhaustion. "Good luck running the Flower Foundation with blinders on. I hope you never lose somepony and have to understand why I need Madame Ouija."

Crystal's shoulders rolled as she straightened up and barked at Bonnie's retreating form, "You need therapy, not a fabrication!"

Bonnie said nothing; she kept walking, her hoofsteps echoing throughout the still room. Once she disappeared, Crystal felt all the attention shift to her. The weight of all the gazes was too much to bear, and she started to shrink back when a chipper voice called, "Sounds like she isn't the only one!"

Crystal blinked and looked over to see Dream Pop standing in the doorway of the therapy room, a bright smile on her face. "What?"

"Well, I have a half hour before my next appointment," Dream Pop said, waving a hoof to gesture Crystal closer, "and from the sounds of it, you're my new next appointment!"

"Oh, no, I—" Crystal swallowed. "I'm sorry. I just lost my temper."

Dream Pop smiled. "And that's super okay! Why don't you come in so we can talk about it?"

After a moment of hesitation, Crystal took one step forward. She nearly wilted from all the gazes following her every move, and she quickened her pace to shorten the suffering. Once she was out of the room and the door was shut, she let out a sigh of relief.

Dream Pop trotted around Crystal to plop down on one of the big, oversized pillows. "So, you had a little tiff out there, huh? Why don't you tell me what happened?"

"What happened?" Crystal's ears flicked back. She glanced at the unoccupied pillow as if it might bite her if she got too close to it and remained where she was near the door. "It's a bit of a long story."

"I love stories!" Dream Pop beamed at her. "And together, we can give this one a happy ending. How does it start?"

Crystal shifted from one hoof to the other, glancing away from Dream Pop's overly happy expression. It was at such odds with the anger at Bonnie and her disappointment with herself; she just wanted to hide in shame, but that wasn't what a leader would do. She squared her shoulders, set her jaw, and walked forward to take her place on the pillow across from Dream Pop.

"It was when we received the news of the Harmony," Crystal said, her chest tightening from the memory. "One of the members of my support group, Bonnie, didn't take the death of her brother well. Who could blame her? He was a civilian, a doctor who volunteered." She sighed and shook her head. "But she went outside the group for help. She found a—a pony who claims to talk to spirits, who convinced Bonnie that she could say goodbye to her brother.

"But it didn't end with goodbye!" Crystal's jaw clenched as she tried to keep her tone even. "Ouija keeps her coming back for more and more, and Bonnie can't see through the blindfold Ouija put on her to realize how much trouble she's in!" The anger faded, replaced by numbing guilt. "Unfortunately, I tripped over my own hooves when I attempted to help her understand, and made things hostile between us."

"I see! Well, it's super okay to want to try to help ponies, but—" Dream Pop picked up a small red ball and chucked it right into Crystal's face.

Crystal cried out in surprise and her hooves flew to her sore nose. She stared at Dream Pop with wide eyes, words thoroughly escaping her from disbelief.

Dream Pop merely smiled as the ball rolled to a halt on the floor between them. "Even if we try really hard, sometimes we just can't control what other ponies do!"

"I could have understood that without the demonstration," Crystal muttered, keeping her hooves raised in wary defense.

"Oh, sure, but now you super understand, right?" Dream Pop leaned forward, picked up the ball, and bounced it from hoof to hoof. "But I'm more concerned with the anger you feel about it. Why are you angry? Why do Bonnie's decisions upset you?"

Crystal furrowed her brow and finally lowered her hooves. "Why wouldn't it? How could I not be upset by watching somepony's life fall apart and them not let me help?"

Dream Pop hummed. She stopped bouncing the ball and held it just below her eye level so that she could stare at Crystal with a prying gaze. "I see why that'd make you upset, but that didn't sound just upset out there."

"Just upset?" Crystal repeated, blinking a few times. "Well, no, I was more than upset. I can't stand it. Ouija is taking everything Bonnie has, and Bonnie is defending her with every breath! I know with nigh complete certainty that Ouija is a fraud, but I can't prove it beyond any shadow of a doubt."

"Why?" Dream Pop bounced the ball against the floor. "Are you friends with Bonnie?"

After a pause, Crystal sank into the pillow. Her hooves came together to clasp one another as if in a small, hoof-sized hug. "Friends would be a strong word. We were support group partners." Her ears folded back. "No, even that is too strong. We belonged to the same support group. Bastion was my partner. Bonnie was simply a name and face I recognized each week."

Dream Pop bobbed her head in time with the bouncing ball. "So why do her choices make you so mad that you yelled at her like that?"

Crystal sighed as her hooves lifted to rub at her forehead. Each thwump of the ball against the floor or a hoof sent a throb through her skull. "Because if she'd listen to me, I could help her."

Thwump. "Why do you think that?" Thwump.

One of Crystal's ears twitched in growing irritation. "Why? Because it's true! I could! I wanted to! I still do, if she'd just let me!"

"But why are you mad?" Thwump. "Why are you angry?" Thwump.

For a moment, Crystal's vision was blinded by a fire that surged from her chest to engulf her entirely, and her magic shot out to grab the ball in mid-air, open the door, and fling it out into the other room. The cries of surprise and scrambling of hooves outside brought her back to the moment and she could only inhale and exhale in ragged, shuddering breaths.

Dream Pop smiled an annoyingly expectant sort of smile. "You mad?"

Crystal blinked a few times as tears started to fill her vision. Why was she mad? Why was she acting this way? Why did it matter to her so much?

"Sometimes," Dream Pop started, interrupting Crystal's spiraling introspection, "emotions are complicated and we don't always understand them, but that's super okay. That's normal! It helps to have somepony else to take a step back for us and see what we might not."

"And what do you see?" Crystal asked in a soft voice, wiping the corners of her eyes.

Dream Pop stretched her forelegs over her head, then settled back into the pillow and shrugged. "Well, from what I know and from what I see, you're a pony who was born and raised to be an elite Canterlot mare, but decided to become a military wife instead. Then a war starts, which isn't anything anypony ever expected, and your husband goes overseas, and you're left behind trying to figure out your place."

With her hooves gesturing in vague, meandering circles, Dream Pop continued, "And like any good Canterlot elite, you were taught to take charge! Be the star! But how do you be a star in a support group? You keep the peace, so you tried to keep the peace. But this wasn't a group of elite ponies who can be swayed with confidence. Your parents' training never prepared you for this. You tried your best, but you failed.

"You let Bonnie down. You let the group down. You let your husband down. These are the thoughts that ran through your head, right? You doubted yourself and wondered why you even tried? Then you ran away and got the wonderful idea of the Flower Foundation, but then Bonnie came back, and you still couldn't help her. So all of those feelings came back, and you got mad."

Finally, Dream Pop smiled. "And that's super okay."

"What?" Crystal blinked. "How? That sounded awful! How is it 'super okay' for me to act like a petulant foal?"

"Because now you're aware of it, and you can actually deal with it! Now, here." Dream Pop reached behind her to retrieve a stuffed pink rabbit. "Do you want to hold Flopsy?"

Crystal could only continue to blink, though her gaze fell from Dream Pop's face to the smiling pink rabbit. "Flopsy?"

Dream Pop gave a quiet giggle. "In my experience, I've found that it's not just foals who like hugging plush dolls. Flopsy gives great hugs, I'm told."

"Oh. I—um, all right." Though it seemed awkward, Crystal wrapped her magic around Flopsy and brought it over as she shifted on the pillow so she could set it in her lap. It was extraordinarily soft, so much so that she couldn't resist wrapping her forelegs around it and hugging it to her chest.

"See? Don't you feel better already?" Dream Pop clapped her hooves. "And that's only just the beginning! So, how do you feel about the situation with Bonnie now?"

Crystal's ears flattened to the sides. "Embarrassed. I really shouldn't be so upset over things like this." She sighed, shaking her head. "How do I stop?"

"You repeat after me: I will fight for what I can control and let go of the rest, because I am super okay."

A soft laugh escaped Crystal. "I will fight for what I can control and let go of the rest, because I am super okay."

"Great!" Dream Pop waggled a hoof at Flopsy. "Now, hug Flopsy and fill your mind with positive thoughts as you repeat it again. Then when you go home tonight, look in the mirror and repeat that one more time. That's your homework! We'll meet again next week at this time, okay?"

Crystal nuzzled into Flopsy's soft pink fur and replied with a playful smile, "Super okay."

Dream Pop laughed and clapped, bouncing just slightly. "Oh, we are going to get along just super! I can tell already!"

Author's Note:

If only I could read the signs in front of me
I could find a way to who I'm meant to be

If you have enjoyed this story so far, please consider taking a look at Anzel and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.

PreviousChapters Next