• Published 23rd Feb 2016
  • 6,079 Views, 2,472 Comments

Crystal's Hopes - Crystal Wishes



Crystal Wishes finally found her happily ever after, but she never thought about what came next. The life of a military wife is not as easy as she hoped it would be.

  • ...
26
 2,472
 6,079

PreviousChapters Next
Daylight Finds You

Crystal stared at the freshly made bed, her lips curling into a sneer at how it mocked her. A small victory, she called it, as though that was supposed to mean something. What good were tucked sheets and a folded comforter when she was alone?

In a fit of anger, her magic tore the sheets from their resting place and mussed up the whole bed. The comforter ended up halfway on the floor, the pillows rested askew at opposite corners, and the sheets twisted around themselves like windswept debris.

There. Now her bed looked as awful as she felt. How was that for a small victory?

Her tail lashed while she stormed her way out of the bedroom. She was angry. She was sad. She was angry that she was sad. All she wanted to do was just stay in bed and sleep until Silent came home, but whatever bit of rational thought she had held onto managed to urge her to do otherwise.

Bills had to be paid. It was a pathetic excuse to keep moving in the grand scheme of things, but it worked nonetheless. At least enough to get her out of bed.

What came after that? A shower? Right. A shower and then breakfast. That was how normal life went, and that was what she would do.

The hot water was a temporary comfort, a warm hug that eased the tension in her muscles. But when the shower was over, all she was left with a bitter cold that soaked in all the way to her bones. Drying out her mane was a tedious chore and no matter what she did, there was no volume to it. The blonde and pink locks were more like a blanket draped listlessly over her head.

Oh, what was the point? She had no plans to go out, so she dropped the brush onto the counter and contemplated makeup. That also seemed like a useless endeavor, so she just turned away and left the idea of primping for mares who cared. She certainly didn't. She would just have some breakfast, work on her novel, and eventually go to sleep to start the whole pointless process all over again the next day.

Her stomach, however, refused to cooperate when it came time to pick something to eat. Nothing seemed appetizing. She didn't want anything in the pantry or the fridge, and she most certainly didn't want to go out. Was she even hungry at all? A churning, twisting sensation deep within said no—no, she most certainly was not.

Crystal snorted as she turned away from the kitchen and dragged herself onto the couch. It was fine. Breakfast was just one meal out of several. Perhaps lunch would be a better time. For now, however, she was going to write.

Or so she told herself. Hours slipped by at an agonizingly slow pace. She tried lying on the couch, sprawling on the rug, sitting on the bed, and even pacing with her notebook levitating in front of her. There was no muse, no inspiration, no spark of creativity at all. A part of her wondered if she'd ever had any of it at all, or if she had simply gotten lucky a few times and that wellspring had dried up.

A whimper bubbled up and she clenched her eyes shut. Her notebook fell to the floor with a despondent thump, followed by silence. The lack of sound was slowly filled with a buzzing noise.

Recently, she had come to the uncomfortable revelation that silence wasn't actually silent. Something was always lurking, ready to fill her ears with noise that didn't exist. If she didn't know any better, she would have thought she was going insane.

Crystal's eyes snapped open and she glared down at the notebook. Going insane! Her? After hardly a few days alone? What sort of weak-willed mare was she to be so lost after so short a time?

No, she refused to be a wilting flower. She would stand tall. She wouldn't succumb to things like this. She…

She was crying.

"No, no, no," she mumbled, nearly hitting herself from how quickly her hoof flew to wipe the tears away. "Don't be a stupid filly."

The harder she fought, the weaker she felt. A shudder seized her muscles and she dropped down to the floor as a sob racked through her very core. The anger was lost to a wave of self-loathing, which receded rather suddenly back into an ocean of grief.

How long would he be gone? How long was she supposed to do this? Would it ever get easier? Why hadn't she been prepared for this?

A heavy knock resounding in the silence snapped her out of the suffocating thoughts. She quickly wiped her eyes and called, "One moment!"

Before she opened the door, she practiced smiling a few times until she was satisfied. The forced turn of her lips grew sincere when she saw the mare standing at her doorstep. "Painted?"

"Hi, darlin'!" Painted Wave grinned. "Hope I'm not dropping in unannounced at a bad time."

Crystal shook her head. "Not at all!" She stepped to the side and gestured her in. "I would say you couldn't have shown up at a better time."

Painted set a full satchel by the door and whistled as she looked around. "Nice place you've got here! But since it's named after you, that's not much of a surprise."

"Named after me?" Crystal blinked, then laughed and waved a hoof at her. "Oh, don't be silly. The Empire was named such a long time ago."

"Semantics!" Painted plopped down on the couch, stretching out and propping her head up with one forehoof. Her expression shifted to a soft, somber smile. "He volunteered, didn't he?"

Crystal's jaw tightened and her gaze darted away. "Yes," she replied in a more delicate voice than she intended. She sucked in a quick breath to try to regain composure.

"You don't have to act like that with me." Painted sat up and patted the space beside her. "Why don't you sit down and tell me about how you're doing?"

"I—" Crystal gave a quick shake of her head. "I haven't offered you tea yet. Would you like some?"

With a light snort, Painted patted the cushion again. "I'd like for you to treat me like a friend and not a guest."

Crystal resisted for a moment longer, then relented by walking over and taking a seat. "I don't see why I should treat a guest better than a friend."

"I didn't hop a train for tea time." Painted wrapped a foreleg around Crystal's shoulders. "I came to make sure you were doin' all right, among other things."

It was hard to keep her voice even, but she did her best. "What other things?"

"All in due time, Mrs. Deflecting Wishes." Painted's voice lowered to a soft, soothing tone as she continued, "You're a newlywed mare whose husband has volunteered for war. You think a fake smile is going to fool me? Really? I'm almost insulted."

Her best wasn't good enough. "I—I don't—" All at once, the tears returned in full force and fell down her cheeks while she blubbered through a response. "I don't want to in-inconvenience you aft-after you came all this wa-way!"

Painted pulled her close and hugged her, one hoof stroking her back. "Shh, shh. It's okay. This is what I'm here for. Why don't you just cry a bit and then we'll talk?"

It was an easy suggestion to follow. Crystal buried her face against Painted's neck and cried the tears she wanted to hide. Wanted to pretend weren't there. "It d-doesn't change anything to cry," she muttered bitterly.

"What?" Painted pulled back and held Crystal by her shoulders at foreleg's length. "What did you just say?"

Crystal sniffled and averted her gaze, ears folding back. "It doesn't change anything to cry."

One of Painted's brows arched, then she withdrew her hooves to fold them over her chest. "Well, that's a load of ponyfeathers. Of course it changes something. Just look at you—your eyes are red and puffy. That's a pretty noticeable change, I'd say."

"Ohh…" A small laugh sputtered past Crystal's lips and she lightly pushed Painted. "I don't mean like tha-that."

With a small grin, Painted nodded. "I know. But look, it made you laugh." She sighed and leaned back into the couch, her eyes closing halfway and her head tilting back. "I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Things aren't going to get easier. It's only been a few days, for Celestia's sake. This is a lot to take in and a tiny sum of days isn't nearly long enough to adjust."

Painted lolled her head to the side to look at Crystal with a somber frown. "I can't promise that you'll feel better in a week. It might take a month. But you're tough under that pretty little face, and you know what? It's okay to cry. It's better than bottlin' it up and making a hard situation even harder."

"But—" Crystal bit her lower lip and hesitated a moment. "But what good does it do? What good does any of it do? Crying won't keep him safe!"

"Not crying won't, either, now will it? So what harm in there is crying?" The frown lifted into a small smile. "You feel better without all that negative energy in your chest, don't you?"

Crystal blinked a few times. She couldn't deny it: the tension had relieved. The feeling that she was going to fall apart wasn't gone, but it wasn't at the forefront of her mind. She relented with a small, meek nod. "Actually, I do."

"Exactly. Crying is your body's way of making room for other thoughts and feelings to have a chance to breathe. Quit suffocating yourself." Painted paused to let her words settle in before she nodded, her magic lighting up and pulling the large satchel open. "Now, if you're up to it, I have two other reasons why I'm here."

"Oh, of course." Crystal wiped her eyes and put on her best sincere smile. "What are they?"

A stack of cards and an object wrapped in cloth lifted into view, floated over, and lowered onto the coffee table. "First thing's first." Painted took Crystal's hooves in her own. "I wanted to let you know as soon as I could. I'm going to be traveling for work for a while and won't have my art supplies with me."

Crystal tilted her head. "Traveling? Really?" Her ears wiggled with interest. "Are you going somewhere fun?"

"Fun?" Painted snorted. "I wish. It's going to be a bunch of business stuff in a couple places. I'll be lucky if I'm not bored into old age by the time it's all over."

"Well, that's unfortunate to hear. But I suppose business isn't always glitz and glam for an artist." After a pause, she added in a quieter voice, "So you'll be gone quite a while by the sounds of it, then?"

Painted nodded, and her magic brought over the stack of cards. "Yeah. I don't know exactly how long, but I know you're working on a new novel so I wanted to make sure you weren't left high and dry when it's done. I have some business cards for a couple artists whose work I think you might like."

Crystal's heart sunk just as low as her ears drooped. Painted was the artist she had worked with since she had the freedom to choose one outside of Reindom House's art team. They had worked together on covers and promotional materials, but beyond that, Painted was a dear friend.

The idea of another artist being in charge of her covers felt wrong somehow, but she forced herself to nod. "You didn't have to, but I appreciate that you did. It won't be the same without your creative genius, though."

A grin tore across Painted's muzzle. "I know, but you'll manage. Just make sure to save a copy of it for me when it's done, all right?"

"Absolutely!" Crystal nodded again, more emphatic this time. "I wouldn't dream of doing otherwise!"

Painted laughed. The sound quieted as she turned her head to survey the room, her gaze taking in the full sight of it. "I wish I could have done this sooner given the circumstances, but I've also got a late housewarming gift for you."

"A housewarming gift? Oh, no, no, Painted, it's absolutely fine, we don't—I don't—" The words became trapped in her throat and she struggled against a surge of emotion. Whose home was it now? It was still 'we' and 'our', wasn't it? Of course it was!

Raising a hoof to stop her and levitating the wrapped item, Painted shook her head. "Just let me do this, all right? I brought it all this way just for you." She smiled. "I know you're surrounded by 'em on all sides here, but I wanted you to have one that had a bit more to it than just a shiny polished surface."

With a soft rustling sound, the bindings on the foreleg-length bundle unraveled and layers of thick cloth were pulled back, one by one. The rustling sound became a soft hum and when the last bit of cloth was unwrapped, the light in the room seemed to shift around the many facets of a single white crystal.

The breath Crystal had held disappeared suddenly in a soft gasp. She had seen it many times hanging over Painted's easel, sparking to life under the guidance of iridescent magic to create wonderful works of art.

Ripples of magic that kept the crystal aloft passed through the facets and, within the center, transformed into a rainbow of all shades and hues that danced among each other, swirling and leaping together but never muddying.

Painted watched the shifting colors for a moment before her gaze darted back to Crystal. The soft smile on her face grew into a beam and a firmness entered her voice as she said, "This is now yours. It has spent a good long while singing to me while I create, and now it will sing for you as you do the same. Put it somewhere where it'll catch the sun and it'll sing even louder."

There was a long pause as Crystal just tried to get her thoughts back on a mental path. This was no ordinary crystal. No, this was something cherished, something important, and not something to be given away as a simple housewarming gift.

Crystal's brow furrowed as she met Painted's gaze, uncertainty facing off against resolution. "Are you… sure? Painted, this—this is too precious for me to take like a bottle of wine or a set of cutlery!"

Painted's beaming smile quirked into an askew grin. "Mind's already made up. I'm not changin' it." She stood from the couch and started toward the door. "So—catch!" The crystal whistled as the iridescent magic chucked it in Crystal's direction.

It spun around in a slow trajectory, but fast enough for Crystal to squeak in surprise. She caught it in her own magic before it got too far, and she squeaked again when it seemed to react to her aetherial touch. An array of swirling ribbons in every shade of pink imaginable overtook the full-spectrum rainbow within the crystal.

While she was captivated by the sight, she was moved to tears by the harmonic chime that resonated through the air, a bittersweet yet perfect combination of hope and melancholy. It was almost as though the crystal, touched by her magic, reflected her soul.

Emotions swelled in her chest as she looked up at Painted and stammered, "I-I, I can't, Painted…"

Painted tossed her satchel over her back and winked. "Yes, you can. I know you can. It's yours now. Treat it and yourself with love, all right? I've got a train to catch, so don't make me late by arguing."

Her chin trembled, but she smiled and nodded. She got up from the couch and hurried over to embrace Painted in a tight hug. "A-All right. But when you get back, I'll return it to you."

"We'll see about that." She placed a soft kiss on Crystal's forehead. "Take care, sweetie. Remember what I said."

Crystal nodded again. "I will… I promise." She took a step back and inhaled deeply to regain her composure. "Have a safe trip."

And with that, Painted disappeared from view when the door closed behind her, and Crystal tried to be strong. Doubt and worry plagued her mind. Was Painted off to the war? Why would she be? There was no need for artists in a war!

Crystal had to know. She threw the door open and ran out to catch her before she could get too far, but Painted was nowhere in sight. Her eyes darted to spy a guard going one way and a large, shaggy grey mare going the other.

A lump formed in her throat, but she smiled as she retreated back inside. It must have been just as painful for her to leave as it was for Crystal, so she had already fled. Slowly, she slumped to the floor under the weight of uncertainty.

We'll see about that. What ominous parting words. She couldn't shake the feeling of worry that clouded her mind. First her husband, then her sanity, and now her friend? What else would the war take from her?

Crying didn't change anything… but Painted said it was okay to cry, and so she did.

Author's Note:

There will be time on this journey
All you'll see is darkness
Out there somewhere daylight finds you
If you keep believing

If you have enjoyed this story so far, please consider taking a look at Anzel and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.

PreviousChapters Next