• Published 23rd Feb 2016
  • 6,075 Views, 2,472 Comments

Crystal's Hopes - Crystal Wishes



Crystal Wishes finally found her happily ever after, but she never thought about what came next. The life of a military wife is not as easy as she hoped it would be.

  • ...
26
 2,472
 6,075

PreviousChapters Next
If I Can Be Strong

Crystal idly read over a fan letter and sipped from her teacup, enjoying the relative silence. There were so many things said in the stillness while she waited for Golden to recollect her senses.

"What in Celestia's good name happened here?" Golden finally asked, her eyes wide as she looked over the living room, tugging her shawl tighter around her shoulders as if that would shield her from harm.

The pillows and blankets were strewn about, popcorn scattered here and there, and a few spills of drinks dotted the landscape. It was a crime scene that—assuming the spills were juice rather than wine—normally only had one culprit: fillies. Crystal simply smiled and hummed.

Golden was still standing just inside the doorway, one hoof raised to gesture at the mess. "Did you host a sleepover for that little filly? The one that is always making a mess?"

"Dot? Oh, no." Crystal waved a dismissive hoof. "Dot doesn't come over very often anymore. She's discovered colts, though they haven't discovered her yet, much to her disappointment."

Golden glanced at her. "Well, are you going to explain who made a wreck of your living room, then?"

Setting the letter aside and opening the next envelope, Crystal replied, "Winterspear and I."

At first, Golden just gawked. Then, once she regained her composure, she scoffed and walked the rest of the way inside. "Honestly. How old are you?"

"Old enough to know it's all right to have fun from time to time." Crystal tilted her head to spy a few pieces of popcorn, which she gathered up in her magic and flung in Golden's direction. "Give me a moment to finish going through my mail and I'll clean up."

Golden frowned as she smoothed out her coat where she'd been pelted. "So you want me to wait while you do chores? Why didn't you take care of these things before I got here?"

Crystal giggled lightly. "Because I wanted to see how you'd react." She gestured at the loveseat. "Make yourself comfortable. I thought you might like to hear how ponies are reacting to my current story."

"Of course." Golden rolled her eyes, but when she sat down, her gaze was intently—eagerly, almost—on Crystal when there was a drawn-out moment of silence. "Well?"

"Oh, I was just giving you a moment to complain." Crystal grinned behind the letter that levitated in front of her.

Golden huffed and tossed her mane. "Foals complain. Ladies quietly seethe. Now, what did this fan say?"

While Crystal quoted bits and pieces from the heartfelt letter, she glanced occasionally over at Golden. Genuine interest was in the mare's smile, but there was something in her eyes that seemed almost lonesome. They made it through three letters before Crystal lowered the remaining two.

"Is everything all right?" Crystal asked, furrowing her brow.

"What?" Golden straightened up and regained a stoic, guarded composure. "I was listening. Is that a crime?"

Crystal made a vague gesture in Golden's direction. "Something seems to be on your mind. We're friends now, you know. We can talk about things."

There was a long moment where Crystal was uncertain whether Golden would speak or not. Her expression was flawless and betrayed nothing; that was hardly a surprise, given that while Crystal had flitted in and out of the elite world, Golden had drowned in it.

"Your fans say such nice things," Golden finally muttered, looking down at her hooves with feigned interest. "When I receive letters, they're either obsessive claims, vulgar suggestions, or pompous nothings." She snorted. "'Oh, Au, your golden visage is only rivaled by your sapphire eyes. I dream of you each night, hoping to meet you one day.'"

Crystal's nose scrunched up. "Ponies really write that to you? Without ever having met you?" A gasp escaped her and she clasped a hoof to her mouth. "Oh..."

"What?" Golden frowned. "What's that look?"

"I just had a sudden, unsettling revelation." Crystal returned the frown. "That is a common scenario in romance stories. A stallion loves a mare from afar, or the other way around. Too shy to approach them, but consumed with an all-encompassing love."

Golden rolled her eyes. "Yes, it sounds so very romantic until you're the target of at least a hundred far away, all-encompassing loves. All of them are so hollow. What I really want is a stallion to look me in the eyes and say those things after spending a week with me." Her ears folded back and her gaze darted away. "Most stallions can't last a few days before they decide another mare is more preferable."

Sympathy gripped Crystal's chest in a tight clench and she opened her mouth, but Golden continued speaking.

"I wouldn't mind a letter detailing something other than my looks." Golden sighed, her eyes closing halfway and her head lowering to rest on the loveseat cushion. "But what would they say? Nopony knows me. I'm not certain I know me."

Crystal went quiet while she pondered how to help. What could she do, though? She had no influence on Golden's fans, and no helpful advice jumped to mind. "You—I suppose—" She nibbled on her lower lip. "You could..." Trailing off with uncertainty, her gaze landed on the remaining two letters. She offered a playful smile and levitated the one on top over to Golden. "Until we figure something out, here. You may have this."

Golden eyed the envelope, then burst into a short laugh. "If only it were that easy."

"Why isn't it? We could just pretend for a moment." Crystal floated it closer so that it poked Golden on the nose. "Take it. It's yours."

With a dramatic sigh, Golden's own magic snatched the envelope and tore it open. There was a long moment of silence while her eyes drifted over its contents before lifting up to meet Crystal's gaze. "I think this is intended for you."

Crystal sputtered into a giggle. "That's beside the point!"

"No, I'm serious." Golden waved a hoof at the letter as her magic carried it over to Crystal. "Just read it."

Crystal's brow furrowed, but she accepted it nonetheless and saw a formal letterhead at the top. This wasn't a fan letter.

Dear Mrs. Crystal Wishes:

I am writing to you on behalf of my employer, Inner Harbor Films. We are a small film production company based in Baltimare and have produced several films in the romance genre. Your track record of successful novels in this genre has been noticed by our company's president, and we would like to express our interest in working with you to bring The Desert Rose to life through a film adaptation. We reached out to your agent, Sunset Coffee, and he has forwarded us your direct contact information.

What has caught the president's attention is the exotic setting of The Desert Rose as well as what is shaping up to be a unique plot. Given the current status of Equestria, it is our belief that a film of this nature would be a successful one. While we are a small company, we have the experience to make a quality film on a small budget.

As you are certainly well aware, The Desert Rose is still a work in progress and, therefore, the screenplay would require your direct guidance. This would be an extensive undertaking, but our services and finances are at your disposal should you choose to accept this proposal. Please reach out with a reply to this letter with your availability so that I can set up an appointment with the president for you to discuss the full details of our offer.

Sincerely,

Miss Ive

Inner Harbor Films Representative

Crystal stared at the graceful hoofwriting, waiting for the words to change. Slowly, a bitter laugh was dragged up from her depths and she raised a hoof to rub her forehead. "Wonderful."

Golden's ears twitched upward. "Isn't it? It's quite an accomplishment. I've never heard of Inner Harbor Films, but then again, the film industry isn't of much interest to me."

Crystal lowered the letter to the coffee table, laughing again as her head swirled with awful thoughts. An accomplishment? At that moment, she didn't care. It was a perfectly understandable reason for ignoring everything. Bonnie, Bastion, Ouija... She could run away and work on this 'extensive undertaking' and forget about the rest.

"Crystal?" Golden waved a hoof. "You look like you're about to be sick. I understand that feeling. Excitement can—"

"I'm glad." Crystal touched her face, which felt hot and feverish. Hurriedly, she slipped off the couch and started to focus on cleaning up the sleepover debris. "They're not my problem anymore."

Not moving from the loveseat, Golden just watched her, brow starting to furrow. "Who?"

The cases were tugged off their pillows to be washed. "Bonnie. Bastion. Weather Front." She started to fold the blankets. "I didn't know what to do about them, and now I don't have to do anything."

"What are you talking about?" Golden asked with a note of wariness in her tone. "Of course you do. Who else will push them and the others to stay together?"

Crystal waved a hoof. She felt like she was suffocating from an unseen but unbearable weight pressing on her chest. "They seem to do a fine job of that on their own. Nopony needs me. I can focus on this film endeavor instead."

Golden snorted, shifting her hooves to cross one over the other. "I see. I had no idea you were such a hypocrite."

Crystal froze, ice filling her veins. "Pardon?"

"A hypocrite," Golden repeated with venom seeping into her voice. "All this time, you told me to better myself for the sake of others, but at the slightest confrontation, you turn tail and run away."

Whatever dam kept the feelings bottled up in her chest broke and Crystal turned sharply to glare at her. "The slightest confrontation?! Were you not listening at that horrible failure of an intervention? I have no authority! I'm not wanted there, so why should I force the issue?!"

Blue eyes bored into her as they narrowed. "Because the apparent lie you fed me was that we do things to help others. That that is the right and decent thing to do. But I suppose Bastion was right—you merely help others to make yourself feel better."

"That's a lie!" Crystal stormed across the distance between them. "Feel better?! I wanted you to be happy! For you, not for me!"

The narrowed eyes lifted from the smile that curled Golden's lips. "There you are."

Crystal blinked, her anger dying down into confusion. "What?"

"I was worried for a moment you had forgotten yourself." Golden raised a hoof to push Crystal's forehead. "You're just wounded. I understand that. But don't forget the mare that you are. I've grown attached to that mare."

Feeling suddenly drained, Crystal dropped down to sit on the floor. "I—I just..." She sighed, lowering her head. "It feels futile. I care so much that it blinded me, and I'm not sure how to recover. Running away seems so much easier..."

Golden rolled her shoulders in a light, graceful shrug. "Yes, it does. And that is why I can't fathom why that's the path you would choose."

"Because it's easier," Crystal repeated in a sullen voice.

Silence held them for a while until Golden gave an exaggerated sigh. "Fine. Run away for a bit, then. Recover your senses. I'll keep an eye on the group while you focus on this opportunity. As soon as your work is done, however, I'll expect you to resume leadership." Her brow arched. "I'm much better at keeping ponies in line than caring for them, and I'm sure they'll note that."

Crystal gawked at her with open surprise plastered on her face. "What?"

Golden sighed again, louder this time, and inclined her head away to stare at the wall. "I'm doing you a favor. Thank me and let's finish cleaning up this mess of yours."

A smile creeping onto Crystal's face, she stood up and threw her forelegs around Golden's neck, giggling when the mare huffed at the gesture. "Thank you."

Golden lifted a hoof and gingerly patted Crystal on the back. "Thank yourself. I'm merely putting into practice the concepts you've given me." The smile she gave was palpable in her voice as she added, "But you're welcome."

Crystal squeezed her before pulling away and glancing at the letter while she collected the discarded wine glasses. A break. A little mini-vacation, as it were, to focus on work. With everything else going on, she hadn't done a single tour or book signing that Sunset Coffee had said would come with going public with her name. She would really need to get serious about that soon if she was going to bolster her career with a film.

Perhaps this mini-vacation might be longer than Golden wanted, but that was a bridge to cross later.

"You know what? I can clean all this up later." Crystal turned and started toward the door. "Come on. I'd like to share the good news with Sunbeam and Pepper."

"Velvet's parents?" Golden slipped off the loveseat and trotted after her. "What about your own?"

Crystal's ears flicked back. "My father, sure. But he would just tell my mother, and I'm not quite ready to know what her thoughts on the matter are."

Golden clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth, nodding. "Ah. I understand."

Crystal opened her mouth to speak, but snapped it shut and just kept walking. Golden rarely spoke of her mother, and never in a way that wasn't backhoofed. There was something strangely satisfying in the quiet understanding between them.

The walk to Sunridge Sweets took twice as long with Golden not wearing her sunglasses. The 'Just Be Golden' campaign had spurred her to be as open and honest with herself as possible, and that meant not hiding behind shades or under giant hats.

One pony in particular stood out as she approached Golden, her ears folded back. "A-Are you really Golden?"

Golden raised her brow and flashed a flawless smile. "What do you think, darling?"

"Oh my gosh, you are!" The mare shuffled her hooves. "I just—I wanted to tell you how pretty you are."

Crystal felt her heart sink. Pretty. How awful for such a nice word to become so painful.

Golden, however, took the tainted compliment with perfect grace. "Oh, my. Thank you for saying so. My looks are vital to my career, after all."

"I, um, no, sorry." The mare sucked in a breath. "I don't mean like that. I mean—I mean now that you're... you. That you're just being Golden. It's really inspiring. You're... not unreachable, anymore, and it's made me feel like I can be pretty, too."

Composure fallen, Golden blinked a few times. She glanced around as if to seek out an explanation for the words before looking back at the mare. "Oh." She blinked again, then smiled, sincerely this time. "In my opinion, any mare who can say such nice words must be pretty. What's your name?"

"Thistle," she squeaked. "My name is Thistle Song."

"Thank you, darling Thistle." Golden's magic undid the glimmering shawl she wore, wrapped it around Thistle's shoulders, and tied it off neatly. "Your timing is impeccable."

Thistle merely gawked and flushed a bright shade of red, stammering nonsense as Golden turned to walk away. Crystal couldn't help a giggle at the extra spring in the mare's step.

"That must feel better than a fan letter," Crystal commented, trotting to keep up with the elongated gait. "Hearing it said right to your face!"

Golden chuckled lightly. "It truly does. I don't know why I had my little spell of weakness this morning. Clearly, I just needed more patience."

Crystal rolled her eyes and bumped her shoulder against Golden's. "Perhaps it was because you showed some humility that you were rewarded?"

A light huff was her only response. They walked in silence the rest of the way to the bakery, coming to a halt at the sight of a line that flowed out the door and spilled into the street.

"My goodness. I wonder what all the fuss is about?" Crystal tilted her head. "I don't think anything special is going on today."

Golden let out a long sigh. "And I suppose we'll have to stand and wait? Can we not simply come back another time?"

"Certainly not!" Crystal took a step when the line shuffled forward. "Aren't you the least bit curious?"

Saying nothing, Golden merely stood beside her, gaze wandering their surroundings. After a few more shuffles, she quietly asked, "Do you remember when they opened this place?"

A fond smile crossed Crystal's lips. "Of course. It was thanks to your father, and no thanks to you."

"I—" Golden's ears pinned back. "I'm not apologizing, if that's what you want. I was just a filly." She shook her mane out and stood taller. "I cried in my room the whole day, cursing your name. You always won. No matter what, things always worked in your favor." Her eyes grew distant and almost cold as she continued, "I can't help but feel that is still the case. But I find myself glad for that, rather than spiteful."

"I, ah, thank you?" Crystal glanced up at her, brow furrowed.

Golden bobbed her head in a light nod. "Mm. Life has a strange way of working out. I would never have thought I would call you my friend one day."

Warmth spread throughout Crystal's chest and she giggled while they crossed the threshold into the bakery proper. "Well, I never would have thought that—Red?!"

Golden shot her a look of confusion before following her gaze. Strutting across the room was little Red Velvet, a tray balanced on his head and a bowtie around his neck, Pepper close at his heels. He looked as happy as could be, and everypony oohed and awwed as he did his best to deliver treats to tables.

"That explains everything," Crystal managed through the laughter that had overcome her.

"Sugarpop!" a voice called above the noise, and Crystal looked over to see Sunbeam behind the counter, waving them over. When they were close enough, she launched into a tittering babble. "Oh, isn't he absolutely darling?! Pastries know what came over me, but I had the idea to dress him up and let him play pretend, and he enjoyed it so much, Pepper thought we should let him do a delivery!" She beamed with excitement. "My little Red is so popular! Nopony even minds how long they have to wait because we're fretting over my little babycake, and some even asked we do this!"

Wiggling her hooves, Sunbeam gestured at a glass jar that had a crayon drawing of Red on it and read: 'Cutie Tips'. The jar was half full with silver and gold bits.

Crystal hid a giggle behind one hoof. "Aww, that's wonderful! Well, I came by to deliver some news of my own, though it pales in comparison to this!"

Golden huffed lightly. "She's being humble."

Sunbeam looked at Golden as if having only just realized she was there. She stared blankly, then gasped. "Oh, muffin dough! I know you! I promise, Miss Golden, we're not normally this scattercookied, we just—"

"I know." Golden waved a hoof. "Velvet has made me more than aware of Red's effects on ponies."

Sunbeam's eyes widened. "Velvet? My Velvet? My Velvet Step?"

"The one and only," Crystal chimed. "Velvet and Golden are friends of a, uh, of a sort."

With a loud gasp, Sunbeam leaned in toward Crystal. "You don't mean that Velvet and she are—"

"No!" Golden practically shrieked, flushed, and cleared her throat. "No, not of that sort. Crystal is just trying to not speak for me." She sighed. "And making things worse. No, Velvet and I are friends. Normal friends. Everyday friends."

Sunbeam nodded slowly, but her expression didn't seem entirely convinced. Given Velvet's history, of course, Crystal wasn't entirely surprised, so she just cleared her throat and said, "Anyway, Mama Sunbeam"—she gave a tiny shake of her head when Golden shot her a curious look—"I want to tell you my news."

"Oh! Yes, sugarsnack, what's up?" Sunbeam smiled at her.

Crystal took a breath in. She knew what the reaction would be. She was hoping for it, really. "It's certainly not a done deal yet, but there's a film company interested in turning the serial I'm working on into a film."

A quiet squeak erupted from Sunbeam's sugary depths and, like a boiling tea kettle, the sound escalated into a high-pitched squeal as she enveloped Crystal in a tight hug. The smell of sugar and frosting and everything wonderful filled her senses, lulling her into a momentary state of overwhelmed bliss.

"Pepper!" Sunbeam bounced lightly, still clinging to Crystal. "Pepper Pumpkin Ridge! Get over here now!"

With Red on his back, Pepper practically stumbled over himself in his rush to hurry over to them. "What? What happened?" He noted Sunbeam's wide, beaming smile and his unease settled into curiosity. "What?"

Sunbeam nuzzled her cheek to Crystal's forehead. "Our sweet little sugarplum fairy is going to be a film star!"

Golden cleared her throat, amusement playing on her lips. "Not exactly."

Sunbeam either didn't hear her, or didn't care. She just kept squeezing Crystal and snuggling her, chittering sugary praises while Pepper proclaimed a celebration was in order.

Her surrogate parents were overflowing with excitement—excitement that should have been infectious and absorbed into her. It should have illuminated the swirling darkness around her heart. Instead, she felt consumed with the disturbing sense of relief that she was given the golden opportunity to run away from her problems.

She could just leave the support group in Golden's care. The mare was already surpassing her in empathy and kindness, although her methods were vastly different from Crystal's. Perhaps that was for the best. She would just focus on her career and leave her—those ponies to Golden.

It wasn't as if anypony would miss her overbearing, foalish nature, after all.

Author's Note:

I will find my way
I can go the distance
I'll be there someday
If I can be strong

If you have enjoyed this story so far, please consider taking a look at Anzel and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.

PreviousChapters Next