• Published 23rd Feb 2016
  • 6,072 Views, 2,472 Comments

Crystal's Hopes - Crystal Wishes



Crystal Wishes finally found her happily ever after, but she never thought about what came next. The life of a military wife is not as easy as she hoped it would be.

  • ...
26
 2,472
 6,072

PreviousChapters Next
A Price to Pay

Rain pattered against the canopy of foliage overhead like distant drums—pa-pat, pa-pat, pa-pat. Her heart pounded along with the beat as she sought a glimpse of something other than twisted trunks of trees, tendrils of fog snaking between them.

"Silent?" she called. "Where are you?"

Every hoofstep sank into mud and had to be forcefully pulled away with an awful, wet schluk. The fog receded as she continued forward but then filled in behind her, shifting the landscape so that no matter which way she walked, nothing changed.

"Silent?"

She knew in her heart that he was there, somewhere. She just had to figure out where.

Everything looked the same whether she looked ahead or over her shoulder. Just a field of fog-wrapped trees in every direction, no shrubbery or rocky outcroppings to give her any sense of whether she was walking in circles or not. But she kept walking nonetheless. She would find him eventually. She had to.

The rain grew heavier, beating against her coat and face with a frigid ferocity, and she raised a hoof to shield her eyes when she saw it: a figure in the fog. Her heart fluttered with joy and relief.

"Silent!"

As she struggled to get closer to him, more figures came into focus, lying prone on the ground all around him. Still. Lifeless. Her blood ran cold at the sight of them. Were they—

"Do not look. Awaken."

Crystal's eyes snapped open and she gasped for air. Fleeting visions of the nightmare faded away into the darkness that consumed her. Her horn flickered, seeking out the nearby lamp and pulling the chain. The shadows fled at the oncoming light, cowering in the corners and behind the furniture.

How was it she could sleep so much and yet still feel so exhausted in the morning?

As she forced herself upright, her joints ached, her head throbbed, and her chest tightened. Where was she? Awake. In the Crystal Empire. At the Fluorite Ferrier. She whittled down until everything felt familiar again and she let out a heavy sigh. Lunch could not come sooner; so many questions bubbled up from the fading haze of sleep.

For the time being, she had to get ready for the day. She dragged herself from the bed and stumbled to the bathroom, where she paused to look at the spa-like accommodations: a bath large enough for two and an open shower large enough for three. A ghost of a smile flashed across her muzzle at the memory of her and Silent's prior stay.

They had learned the hard way that, although intimacy in a shower was depicted as hot and steamy in romance novels, water was ironically a hindrance to being wet—every pun and innuendo intended, of course. Velvet would be so proud of her.

She ached at both the memory and the thought, and forced her gaze to the mirror. How many days had she looked at her reflection and thought, 'You poor mare'? With a determined furrow of her brow, she began the process of putting on her personal armor.

Moisturizing cream softened the ragged lines under her eyes. Foundation smoothed the faded color of her pale cheeks. Eyeliner and mascara drew attention away from her tired smile. And, of course, the heart-shaped beauty mark gave her a strange feeling of strength. What pony could be sad with a heart on their face? Certainly not her.

As long as she looked well, then she was well; it was as simple as that.

With a yellow scarf tied around her neck, she trotted her way to the streets. It had been a while since she had spent time in the Crystal Empire at length, but the unfamiliarity in the air was not due to being away so long. No, the very soul of the empire itself seemed to be darkened by the war.

Cadence had told her that the crystal ponies knew more of war, and it showed in their faces. Though they still glimmered like always, it was the shadows that lurked under their eyes and at the corners of their smiles that gave it away. They hurt just like she did, but without the pretenses and falsehoods.

They knew what war meant, and what it took.

A shiver ran along her sides and she quickened her pace. Perhaps there was comfort in Canterlot's denial of reality on a day-to-day basis. The late winter's air felt all the colder when surrounded by the downtrodden frost that seemed to nip at every pony's hooves.

She made her way to a cafe near the palace where she would wait until it was time. For a moment, she had considered going to the library to research what she could, but to what end? She understood enough to know that she would find nothing in old books. Instead, she would have a cup of tea—perhaps even two—and think on her writing in the spare time she could afford.

Settled at a table by the window, she waited for her order to arrive and occupied herself with gazing outside. The Winter's Soldier came to mind, a nigh forgotten story she hadn't read in quite some time. A smile tugged at her lips. She could delve into frost ponies again. The one she had met over a year ago certainly couldn't represent every frost pony, could he?

After all, she had been told that the Crystal Empire had an entire genre of romance novels dedicated to frost pony encounters. There must have been something there for ponies to keep writing about.

Her mind drew a blank when she mulled the subject over, however. She had hardly noticed the waiter bringing her tea, having just enough sense of self to thank him as he walked away. Idly stirring the light brown liquid in its cup, she pursed her lips.

No, she needed something truly inspiring. Something that would warm her heart, not freeze it over. Not hot like Saddle Arabia, but something still exotic. Then, as she took a sip of tea, her ears perked. Once upon a time, she had wanted to write the love story of Horsey and Savoir, and Prance was certainly exotic enough compared to Canterlot.

The spark of an idea here and a thought there kept her occupied until the clock tower chimed the time: it was, finally, the eleventh bell. She dropped a few bits on the table and made her way to the palace, the peace she had found fading away with every step.

It was no surprise that when she gave her name to a guard at the palace, they nodded and took her straight to Shining Armor's office. He was prepared for her visit.

"Mrs. Wishes is here, sir," the guard said, knocking on the open door.

Shining looked up from a stack of papers on his desk and, as he rose to his hooves, closed the folder that contained them. "Thank you. Dismissed."

The guard nodded, turned sharply on his hindhoof, and walked back down the hall. Crystal, meanwhile, hovered at the door, afraid of what would happen once she entered the room.

Shining's face softened as he looked at her and gestured at the open seat across from him. "How are you doing these days?"

Crystal bit the inside of her cheek, breathed in, and took the first step into his office. It was the hardest, and she felt as though something was left behind as soon as she crossed the threshold, but she made her way to the offered seat.

"Well enough," she finally said with the faintest bob of her head. The folder sitting between them on his otherwise neat and orderly desk looked dauntingly full.

"Good. I'm glad to hear that." His gaze flickered from her to the folder, a grimace flashing across his face. "I was just reading this after-action report. Classified stuff, of course."

She shifted a little uncomfortably in her seat. "Of course."

A sigh escaped him as he took off his helmet to set it on the desk, ran a hoof through his mane, and slouched back in his seat. "You're a good mare. I've heard about all the things you've been up to." His smile returned, albeit only for a moment. "Silent was always proud of you, but I can't imagine how he must feel about you now."

"I—" Her voice hitched and she dropped her head to look at her hooves, clasped in her lap and wringing together. "I wouldn't know." She glanced back up at him. "To be honest, it's not come up in our letters, though that is partly because I don't want to tell him."

Shining made a small sound that verged on amusement but remained in the range of disbelief. "You don't want to tell him that you've started a charity foundation from the ground up?"

She shook her head. "In the middle of a war, that seems like one of the last things he needs to hear. I write to him of my love for him and support of him and leave it at that."

"You really are a good mare." He chuckled softly, then paused, eyes going wide, before he asked, "He at least knows you had a film made about your novel, though, right?"

"No. That is the last thing, in fact," Crystal admitted in a small voice, gaze falling to the folder. "I don't understand the life he is living right now, but I am hoping you can help me with that."

He followed her gaze and frowned. "We can just talk, if you'd like. That's fine with me. I'd actually prefer it, in fact."


"No," she said, shaking her head with momentary resolve, "I'm prepared for the truth. You don't need to sugarcoat things for my sake."

His eyes were just slightly narrowed from the concern that was plastered on his face. Her stomach dropped. If he had good news, then he wouldn't make such a face.

With a roll of his shoulders, he placed his hoof on the folder. "I'll get you a refreshment, then. I'll be right back." His hoof withdrew, somewhat hesitantly, and his voice grew serious. "I assume I will be the only thing to leave this office until I return."

She gave a firm nod, gaze now locked on the folder. "Yes, sir. Everything will be as you left it."

"Good, I'm glad to hear that." As he walked past her, he paused to put a hoof on her shoulder. "Now, I won't be far if you find yourself in need of something while I'm gone. Just outside the door, in fact."

"I understand," she replied, her voice falling to a near whisper that was lost in the silence once the door was shut.

The folder sat in front of her, still and waiting.

Within it were so many papers. What did they say? It seemed so far away and out of reach, as if she was growing smaller. Or perhaps it was getting bigger.

Finally, her magic reached out to levitate the folder over, opening it to reveal the report on top of the stack.

From the desk of Major Silent Knight

Commanding Officer

The Black Dragoons

Her blood ran cold and the world fell away at the sight of his name so close together with the Black Dragoons, but she hurriedly read on.

In compliance with orders from your headquarters, Report After Action Against Enemy for Operation Moonless, with supporting papers, is herewith submitted for this unit.

Under orders from Brigadier Lightning Hammer, the Black Dragoons were deployed to the province of Vinber to secure a site for a permanent camp and to engage any Sudramoar forces found in the vicinity. The Dragoons crossed the border at 0830 and searched and cleared the area. The company proceeded slowly through rather heavy woods at first.

The company received ambush fire of crossbow bolts, primarily from their left flank and rear from within the woods. Major Knight ordered the dragoons to split into two groups to determine the origin of the attack. The gryphons attempted to scatter when charged, but the Black Dragoons allowed none of them to escape. The ambush was successfully routed with no serious friendly casualties.

Crystal found it difficult to keep reading. The words were so cold, so unlike the ones that spoke sweet words of love and longing in letters. Had Silent really written this? She skimmed the rest, trying to find the stallion she knew within the impassive report.

The occupation of Vinber province was untenable, and organized, large-scale resistance no longer existed. The enemy's only significant capability was their ability to organize and reinforce defensive positions South of the Dreyri River. Over the course of the next few days, the enemy took heavy losses during several ambushes by the Black Dragoons, which rapidly degraded and disorganized their forces.

The Black Dragoons systematically eliminated enemy forces unable to get back to the Dreyri River. Resistance began to crumble.

Was it possible for blood to truly chill? If it could, then hers was most certainly frozen. She clenched her eyes shut, trying to block out the endless pages of words so that they would stop resounding in her mind in Silent's voice. Sucking in a breath through her nose, she looked down once more, glancing at the end of the report.

Result of Operation:

SG killed: 13 confirmed. No prisoners.

Killed. Such an ugly, hideous word. How many of them had died at Silent's own hooves? She shuddered and flipped to the next report. A raid against a platoon of invading Sudramoar forces, and at the bottom:

SG killed: 28 confirmed. No prisoners.

Over and over it was the same thing: killed, no prisoners. On the next report, more killed, still no prisoners. Confirmed kills. Estimated kills. But no prisoners, never prisoners. No gryphons escaped the Black Dragoons.

As she continued to flip through the papers with an almost frantic pace, words of his letters started to slip into the forefront of his mind, now backed by the words before her.

I would gladly let this war pull me apart piece by piece as long as I get to return to your side.

Extensive damage sustained from use of bolt thrower against the company. 41 confirmed. No prisoners.

Know that I struggle against aggression. Believe that I will overcome it.

Two casualties within the company during the ambush. 17 confirmed, 3 additional estimated killed. No prisoners.

I will come home to you. I will do whatever is necessary to reach you.

Enemy routed and driven back for an 800 yard gain. 62 confirmed, 10 additional estimated killed. No prisoners.

The enemy has learned to fear me and I am concerned that a dark legend is being born.

Her magic flickered out and the folder nearly fell, but she gasped and caught it just before the papers scattered. The folder landed haphazardly on Shining Armor’s desk while she struggled to keep upright. Everything was spinning around her, foreign concepts invading her throbbing skull.

Killed.

Casualties.

Prisoners.

Enemies.

Silent Knight—no, Dread Knight lived in a world of all these things, day in and day out.

Just as she felt her stomach twisting up in knots and a strangled sob escaped her, the door opened and Shining Armor's voice called in, "Mrs. Wishes? Are you okay?"

Crystal hurriedly brought her hooves to her eyes to wipe away the tears that had started to form. "I'm sorry. I think—I should go."

"Wait, please." He stepped inside and shut the door behind him before walking around to look her in the eyes, his own soft and full of concern. "Mrs—Crystal." Taking one of her hooves in his own, he sat down in front of her and sighed. "I tried to talk Cady out of letting you see these, but she said you'd insist."

Crystal could only whimper a small sound of despairing amusement. Cadence was not wrong.

"I have to read reports like those every day from ponies I know, and ponies I don't. It's hard to stomach all the death that happens on both sides." He squeezed her hooves. "Try to remember that he is still Silent. Dread Knight or not, he's still your husband, and he still loves you. He didn't ask for any of this. Nopony did."

"I understand," Crystal whispered in a voice that cracked and tried to die out. She didn't understand, at least not yet. "Thank you."

When she stood up, Shining didn't stop her and just watched her leave. Uncertainty, doubt, fear, and disbelief all crashed within her, quakes that shook her to the very core. It was all she could do to keep walking, to make her way through the Empire toward the train station. She didn't know when the next train was, but she would wait for it there.

There was so much death. So many 'confirmed kills' of SG. What was SG? Her nose wrinkled. Sudramoar Gryphons? It made sense.

Oh, how woeful it was that anything about those reports made sense to her.

A shudder ran through her as the onslaught of descriptions she had just read flooded her mind. The company ambushed in the forest. Losses of his fellow soldiers under his command. Enemies routed, pushed back, eliminated.

The image of Silent standing in the fog-wrapped forest with slumped, lifeless figures all around him suddenly made sense, and something within her snapped. It was as if a gate had been forced open and everything confined within was now free.

Silent and all of the soldiers of Equestria were living in a veritable nightmare of death. Every day was a struggle to survive, to hope there would be another day. Forget the prospect of coming home—they just prayed to see the sun rise again.

Tears fell down her cheeks, but her hooves moved with more determination than before. She hadn't understood. None of them had understood. They thought they had, but war wasn't meant for ponies. There was no way for them to sit in the safety of Equestria and comprehend all the horrible things that war encompassed.

The Flower Foundation had to do more. She had to do more. If her husband and everypony else came home that day, they would be so vastly unprepared for the burdens the soldiers would bring home.

Whatever it took, Crystal would ensure they were truly ready for when that time came.

Author's Note:

Well, I went along my merry way
And I never stopped to reason
I should have known there'd be a price to pay

If you have enjoyed this story so far, please consider taking a look at Anzel and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.

PreviousChapters Next