• Published 20th Jul 2015
  • 654 Views, 18 Comments

The Incredible Storyloom - Gothic Dreams



Cheerilee and the little foals of Ponyville visit the Royal Museum of Oxerford. Inside is a strange machine called the Storyloom, where Cheerilee tells a story about the very Pony who inspired its creation...

  • ...
 18
 654

Chapter 14: An Awkward Reunion

‘So was that when Clock Work made the Storyloom,’ asked Twist ‘and he made it here in Oxerford, to try and impress Rosy Bliss?’

‘That’s right!’ Cheerilee chirped. ‘Although he was an engineer who knew little about writing stories, he knew that it was something Bliss absolutely loved. So, he thought he might have been able to win her over by pushing his talents to create a machine that could write stories for her.’

‘Did he really make it all alone?’ asked another foal.

‘Well, almost all of it. He did however, have an assistant based in this city who did work alongside him while he built the machine. Clock Work got in touch with them when he found out Bliss moved to Oxerford. He wanted to be certain he could show Bliss the machine as soon as it was finished. In fact, Clock Work was so intent on this plan of his working, he even bought an engagement ring to propose to her with when he showed her the machine.’

Many of the foals exchanged perplexed looks among one another, and Scootaloo said, ‘Sounds like he got way ahead of himself.’

The little pegasus' remark made Cheerilee chuckle a little.

Suddenly, Sweetie Belle spoke up, her voice sounding increasingly excited with each question, ‘So did Clock Work manage to show Rosy Bliss the Storyloom? Did he propose to her? How did it go?’


Clock Work was not at all pleased to meet Witted Twist. Not in the slightest.

He had just moved in to his new workshop where he intended to spend his time in Oxerford. Shortly after he began to unpack the luggage he brought upstairs, Clock Work could faintly hear voices of a few Ponies from the building next door, on account of one of the workshop’s windows being left open before he moved in. Though it was a minor transgression, Clock Work brought it up with the landlord nonetheless.

At first, he paid no mind to the voices. To him, it was simple banter with nothing of his concern, until he heard someone from the house laugh. It was a mare’s voice.

In that brief moment, Clock Work’s life took a very surreal turn, as he stood in that room which felt so new and strange to him, just outside was a sound so… familiar.

He remembered a mare who laughed like that back in the mill. She often did so while she shared her stories with the little foals who worked there. Clock Work couldn’t believe it at first but then he was reminded of the main reason he moved to this city in the first place.

‘Rosy Bliss,’ Clock Work muttered, ‘she’s here!’ So he sprang up and rushed down the stairs and out of the building to next door. Clock Work was in such a rush he didn’t even think to close the front door behind him.

Rosy Bliss was indeed next door to Clock Work’s new workshop. However, it was not her home. She was just a guest. The house belonged to Witted Twist, who had invited her over alongside a few other Ponies, including the college dean and her husband. Brush Keen, another friend invited by Witted Twist, had just begun a discussion on some of Equestria’s contemporary painters when everyone in the room was alarmed to hear a sudden, loud noise. They were four knocks at the front door, each one done in rapid succession.

‘Were you expecting any more guests?’ said Brush Keen.

‘Not at all…’ Witted Twist replied, with a confused look as he glanced around the room. Everyone he invited was present. Just before he stepped out of the room, he turned back to his guests, ‘Do go on. I should be back very shortly.’ When Witted Twist opened the door, Clock Work stood before him, who quickly lowered his head upon seeing Witted Twist, his golden mane obstructing any possible eye contact.

‘Can I help you?’ asked Witted Twist.

‘Ah, yes sir… Excuse me sir but uhm…’ Clock Work was muttering, never raising his head, which only obscured his voice even more. He was never good when it came to talking to others.

‘Could you please speak up?’ Witted Twist smiled politely. However, Clock Work’s disjointed communication continued for another half minute. Witted Twist continued to smile but only thinly disguised his impatience. ‘For Celestia’s sake, what ever is the matter? I can’t hear you at all with all that mumbling!’ Even as Witted Twist spoke up, he never sounded aggressive but it still didn’t make things easier for Clock Work either.

‘Is everything alright, professor?’ Clock Work suddenly looked up, he could hear Rosy Bliss calling out from down the corridor.

‘My Rose!’ Clock Work said aloud as if gasping for air.

With an eyebrow raised, Witted Twist turned to Rosy Bliss, ‘So, he is friend of yours?’

As she walked towards the door, Bliss tried to think of the best words to answer that question. ‘Yes, but we’ve been rather distant lately…’

She gently placed a hoof onto one of Clock Work’s and offered him a polite greeting, ‘It’s such a surprise to see you Clock Work! What are you doing here in Oxerford?’ She then turned to Witted Twist ‘Professor, this is Clock Work. He used to work for my father back in Birminghoof.’

Witted Twist gave a slow nod, ‘Ah! I see. Well, would you like to come in, Clock Work? I could introduce to some other Ponies I have over.’

‘Oh not quite yet, professor,’ Rosy Bliss replied, ‘it’s been some time since we last saw each other and I would like to do some catching up, just between the two of us. We can join the rest of you very shortly afterwards. But for now, do return to your guests.’ Bliss’ voice came with a welcoming tone. However, as Witted Twist walked back down the hallway, she turned back to Clock Work with a more severe expression.

‘What are you doing here? Have you been following me?’ Rosy Bliss’ voice was quiet, yet very harsh. Clock Work knew full well that she was furious with him. But at least, he knew he would be honest in his reply.

‘Oh no, not at all, my Rose! I can assure you it is nothing like that.’

Please don’t call me that, Bliss thought to herself.

‘Although, I did know that you had moved to this city. I just happened to pick out the building next door to be my workshop while I work here.’ said Clock Work as he pointed to the very building standing beside Witted Twist's house.

Rosy Bliss seemed to calm down. She took a deep breath, ‘Well, I don’t actually live in this area. In fact, I actually live just out of town.’

‘My primary concern with being in Oxerford is to work on my latest project, for which I have managed to find an assistant who is based here. I can assure you, I have no intention of interfering with your time here.’

Rosy Bliss nodded, 'Thank you.'

‘Although,’ Clock Work continued ‘this project of mine is something that I had hoped I could show to you when it is done, as I believe it may possibly be of interest to you.’

She gave a somewhat perplexed look at Clock Work. Bliss stood silent for a minute, but then decided there was no harm in humouring the odd stallion so she settled for his request. ‘Very well, then. If you like, I can give you an address to write to. Let me know when this project of yours is finished. However, only write to me when you have finished. Do we have a deal?’

Clock Work most gleefully accepted. ‘Yes, of course! I truly believe you will like what it is I hope to have in store for you.’ He took the note Bliss gave him with the address written on it and walked off, calling out goodbye just before he returned inside his workshop building next door.

Rosy Bliss suddenly found herself amused as she realised she actually excitement from the anticipation.

Just what was it exactly that the young stallion have in mind?

Clock Work seemed to stride triumphantly back to his new home next door, paying no attention to the fact Rosy Bliss still stood outside looking at him. The truth was she found it rather charming. Bliss began to think it might be possible that Clock Work could really grow on her. However, the moment he returned inside and shut the door, Clock Work propped himself up with his back against it and let out a deep sigh and grumbled in resentment. Witted Twist was a stallion that was better mannered and better presented than Clock Work could ever imagine being, and with a love for literature that Rosy Bliss could get behind. Because of this, he earned far more respect and adoration from her in a week than Clock Work ever had in a year.

Oh, how he hated him for it…

Comments ( 4 )

And so leads the road to madness, of applying the art of art to the mechanics of machinery, that instead of rigid prose, one achieves fluidity.

Simply put. the quickest way to the heart, is through the eyes. :raritywink:

The quickest way from the heart, is out the chest.:twilightoops:

I've just read this entire story in one go, seeing as it grabbed my attention that much.

It's well-written and has a rather unique plot with wonderful characters whom I can really get behind. My only gripe, however, is the fact that you use single quotes for dialogue.

I'm looking forward to seeing future updates.

6882198 Thank you for taking the time to read my story, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I appreciate your comments.

I am glad you like the way it has been written so far, as its quality is something I have worried about for some time since I admittedly haven't had anyone read through before I uploaded it. :twilightsheepish:

It's interesting that you brought attention to the single quotation marks in dialogue, as I am certain plenty of novels use them in dialogue. Hopefully, it doesn't take too much away for you.

Anyway, I will try to keep updates on this story relatively frequent, especially since I would like to be able to finish it and carry on working on other ideas I have.
:twilightsmile:

I'm in! :trixieshiftright:

Login or register to comment