• Published 20th Jul 2015
  • 654 Views, 18 Comments

The Incredible Storyloom - Gothic Dreams



Cheerilee and the little foals of Ponyville visit the Royal Museum of Oxerford. Inside is a strange machine called the Storyloom, where Cheerilee tells a story about the very Pony who inspired its creation...

  • ...
 18
 654

Chapter 4: The Delicate Flower

From the very first day after Rosy Bliss was born, Quillflower insisted on having the foal in her hold and care. However, since giving birth, she struggled to walk normally. Weakness and illness seemed to come and go regularly. The doctor had been able to provide her with a peculiar-looking contraption, a harness and crutch that would aid Quillflower with wandering around the house. It rested under one of her front legs and allowed said leg to rest above it, meaning she could easily enough use that hoof to pick up anything. In some ways, it made things easier for her to carry around Rosy Bliss, as she would lay cradled between Quillflower’s forehoof and chest.

Quillflower still wrote and read her books as she had done in the past but there was a greater sense of joy to be seen in her. It was clear that her enjoyment came from now sharing these tales with her own little filly, who she had hoped may grow up to pursue her mother’s passion. Now and then, when Carbon Skies approached the library to peer into the doorway, he would see Quillflower sat down, reading whatever tale she had before her aloud with Rosy Bliss gently leaning back against her mother’s chest. Carbon Skies realised he wasn’t certain that he ever heard his wife read anything aloud until then. If she ever did though, he could imagine very well that she may have read to herself as she read to her own daughter. Her voice carried, even in her weakened state, a powerful sense of unchallenged child-like wonder and awe, as if everything about her in the world was still a new sight to behold. All the while, Rosy Bliss peered down at the pages, her eyes revealing that emerald glow, as if she were enchanted by the words before her.

One morning, Carbon Skies had to leave the house to oversee the work done at Blight Mill. It was mid-Spring and daylight came through the windows, though the sun looked more silver than pure, hot white due to overcast.

Before Carbon Skies ever to set off for business, he would always see his wife to give her a kiss and say goodbye. Usually, Quillflower would be fully dressed by that time. However, for the past few mornings, she had still been in bed. As he entered the bedroom, Carbon Skies put on a smile to hide his concern for Quillflower’s health. It had now been a year and any rate of recovery didn’t appear certain.

‘I’m heading off now. Do take care, my dear.’ Carbon Skies approached the bed, a hoof placed onto hers.

Quillflower replied wearily, ‘I’ll be fine. Besides, I need to care for Bliss.’

‘You don’t have to do it all yourself. After all, we have the servants here. They can help –‘

‘I said I’m fine,’ Quillflower attempted to bring assertion to her voice but it only made her sound croaky, ‘I know that you’re worried but you really mustn’t be. Bliss and I will be perfectly fine together.’

‘Flower, please. Don’t do anything that will wear you out. Take the time to rest. Even for just one day?’ They looked each other in the eye. After a brief silence, Quillflower gave a slow nod. Carbon Skies smiled ‘I should be back this evening. See you then.’ He kissed Quillflower and just as he stepped away from the bed, a little murmur sounded off from the cot ahead of the foot of the bed. Carbon Skies looked in to see that Rosy Bliss was wide awake, with a seemingly lost look on her face.

Carbon Skies reached down to pick her up and said in a joyous tone, ‘And I will see you too, my little rosebud!’ Rosy Bliss cracked a smiled as she was lifted above Carbon Skies’ head. He kissed his daughter on the nose and gently put her back down in the cot. Although he wished to stay home for today, Carbon Skies knew he had to go on about his business. He said goodbye once more and stepped out through the bedroom door. Just before he left the house, Carbon Skies approached Beckon Call to see to it that he makes sure Quillflower stays in bed for at least an hour or so and have Clean Sweep assist her in getting out of bed and dressed.

When Carbon Skies had finally stepped out from the front door of the house, he could see that Spokes had been by the coach waiting for him. He recomposed himself, put on a smile and apologised to his chauffeur.

‘So sorry to have made you wait.’

‘No apology necessary, sir.’ said Spokes. His expression seemed to remain neutral for the rest of the journey.

The moment he sat in the coach, Carbon Skies’ smile faded as he leant towards the window and looked back to his home and then up to the sky.

It’s strange,

Carbon Skies thought to himself…

It seems much cloudier over the city than usual...

As he went through the day, the concerns Carbon Skies had earlier that morning seemed to drift off. At the very least, some part of it did. Focusing on work seemed to help him with that. He oversaw the workers and the mill’s machines, checking with the engineers to make sure production was running smoothly. Finally, he attended some meetings regarding trading and went inspected the inventory and profits. For most of his career, Carbon Skies never really came across too much trouble.

One night was an exception when a band of anti-industrialists broke into the Blight Mill and damaged some of the looms. This was made worse when some individuals not at all related to the vandals managed to sneak in and steal some materials. However, Copper Spring was once again willing to help and, quite miraculously it seemed, made sure his friend’s son didn’t buckle financially when he was, at the time, so early into running the business for himself.

Today, Carbon Skies’ supervision went on with no major incidents to note. For the most part, it was another routine that he became very familiar with. Carbon Skies returned home that evening now feeling more joyful than worried to see Quillflower again. The sun was setting and he was feeling worn out by the time the coach brought him home. Slowly, Carbon Skies stepped towards the front door where Beckon Call greeted him.

‘Good evening, sir.’

‘Evening.’

‘I presume the supervision and meetings went well?’ Beckon Call asked as he assisted Carbon Skies in taking his coat off.

‘Yes. Yes, everything was perfectly fine. Do you know where my wife is?’

The house-servant hung up Carbon Skies’ coat beside the door, turning his head towards him when he answered, ‘No Sir. I haven’t seen her since this afternoon. Though, I believe Clean Sweep had been with Madam Quillflower until the past half hour. Shall I look for her and inform her of your return?’

‘Yes. Go see if she’s in the rose garden. She may still be out there,’ however minute, some nervousness returned and could be heard as he spoke. ‘I’ll go look for her in the library.’

The last few weeks Quillflower had spent more time reading books rather than writing them herself as she became more invested in telling stories to Bliss more than anything else. She often sat outside in the rose garden with the baby beside her on the bench that stood underneath the arched white wood structure. She usually started with only one book and then, once that was finished, would find Rosy Bliss – or perhaps more likely, herself – insisting on more to be read. So it was not uncommon for Quillflower to journey back and forth between the garden and library, even in her condition.

Carbon Skies made sure to remain at a casual pace across the house as he made his way to the library, he didn’t want to force himself into assuming the worse has happened. Still, he quickly began trotting down the corridor. Once he was to the library, he could see the door slightly ajar and through there, hear that Rosy Bliss was crying.

There was a moment between hearing the foal cry and realising what had probably happened that lasted for just a second. Although the sense of dread that filled Carbon Skies made it seem like it lasted several minutes. As if even his breath and heartbeat came to a complete stand still.

Suddenly, he dashed for the library at such speed and swung the door completely open. He came in looking to the floor, already knowing what he was going to see.

Quillflower lay on her back, in a way that seemed to suggest that she tried to reach for the doorway. Judging from the small, scattered pile of books that lay beside her, it was likely that Quillflower was about to leave the room with another selection to read through in the garden when she started to collapse. The crutch and harness couldn’t have done anything to prevent that. Even in losing consciousness, her maternal instincts drove her to roll over to one side so that she didn’t fall with Rosy Bliss underneath. As she lay there completely silent, Quillflower still had Rosy Bliss cradled in her forehooves, the little foal wailing.

Carbon Skies rushed towards her and made sure Bliss was unharmed, while he desperately tried to call to Quillflower, hoping that she would respond. A moment later, Beckon Call could be seen standing at the doorway. His mouth and brow did not move but there was severity in his eyes. Just behind him however, Clean Sweep was there with eyes widened, mouth hung open and a hoof raised towards her face in horror.

‘I’ll get Spokes to find us a doctor immediately,’ said Beckon Call before turning to the maid, ‘Clean Sweep, take care of the foal while Master Carbon Skies stays with Madam Quillflower.’ Carbon Skies didn’t say anything. He simply nodded at Beckon Call as he looked at him with reddened eyes and remained beside Quillflower. Beckon Call could be heard shouting out Spokes’ name while Clean Sweep rushed in to pick up Rosy Bliss. She remained in the room for a few minutes before deciding it might be best to put Bliss back into her cot. The foal wouldn’t cease crying as she was carried away, her little hooves reaching out for her mother. As Rosy Bliss was taken out of the room, Carbon Skies could see that her emerald eyes, blotted by tears, turned to a shade of green more like algae. The look on her face broke his heart while he fell into a silence that would not break until the doctor had arrived.

Again, there was nothing more that he could do, except wait…