• Published 9th Jul 2015
  • 1,636 Views, 8 Comments

The Sacrifice - Ayla



Every year the changelings go through their prisoners and find the ones with no families, the ones who don't generate as much love as the others, and give them to the dragons. Sweetie Belle has managed to remain hidden... until now.

  • ...
18
 8
 1,636

How Did It Come To This?

Sweetie Belle sighed as she poked at the clear magic nullifier ring that tightly fit onto the bottom of her horn. Every time she tried to actually remove it she got a nasty shock so badly that it nearly knocked her out, but she couldn't seem to help feeling of it every now and then.

After a minute or two she stopped and once again looked around her tiny cell. Once again she asked herself the question that many ponies seemed to keep asking over and over again...

How did it come to this?

She paced back and forth as her mind went back to when it had all started, after Cadance and Shining Armor's wedding.

Everyone had assumed the changelings had fled, but they had simply hid long enough to regroup, get reinforcements, and become stronger. A few months after the wedding they had started attacking various places in Equestria full force.

Cadance and Shining Armor protected the Crystal Empire, while Celestia and Luna protected Canterlot. Cadance and Shining Armor had taught them both how to do the shield spell. One kept it up by day, and the other, by night, to keep themselves from getting too strained.

Everyone had tried to flee to one of the two cities, but only some of them made it to safety. It was unfortunate that Twilight Sparkle and her friends had been in Canterlot on business at the time of the attack. Everyone assumed that they would quickly figure out a way to save the day... but they were wrong.

A few months passed. The changelings had worked quickly and turned everypony they'd manage to capture into slaves. Oh sure they kept them housed and fed, they had to keep their love sources alive after all, but things had radically changed. Every town and city now was full of changelings. There was a curfew. Every pony had to be inside by dark. Nobody was allowed to leave the area.

There were rescue attempts of course, but there were just too many changelings, and too many ponies had been imprisoned and weakened to be of much help.

Then the dragons had decided to take advantage of the situation. They had asked the changelings if they wouldn't mind letting them have some of the ponies for a meal, and they didn't mean that they would be having them over to treat them to dinner.

When, Sweetie Belle wondered, had dragons decided they liked the taste of pony flesh?

In exchange for the changelings giving them ponies to eat, the dragons would help them guard the towns and cities to keep anypony from escaping.

The changelings had decided that once a year they'd sweep the areas and give everyone who didn't have family with them to the dragons. Families produced the biggest amount of love, and anyone else they considered expendable.

Of course they didn't tell anypony this, so the first time came as a shock. Ponies tried to revolt and escape at first, but after the changelings threatened to give the children of anypony who resisted to the dragons, it immediately stopped.

The adults were taken first, and then they'd come for the children. Apple Bloom was lucky, her brother and grandmother were still with her, so she was left alone. Scootaloo, who's parents had gotten separated from her during the invasion, was taken.

Sweetie Belle had also gotten separated from her family. Many families had been torn apart. The changelings had moved some of the ponies to other areas that needed more love sources when the attack had happened. She had no idea where her parents were, but she hoped that her sister was still safe in Canterlot.

Three years had passed since then. The Apple family had kept her hidden the best that they could, but the changelings had finally found her. Despite the Apple's protests that they loved her like their own, the changelings had taken her anyway.

Now she sat in this cell while she waited for night fall. For some reason the dragon always came at nightfall to get the ponies. The sacrifice, the changelings called it.

Sweetie Belle didn't know why the changelings made such a big ceremony of it. Maybe so they could keep the other ponies in line. The more afraid they were, the less likely they were to resist.

So the changelings had dragged her away from the farm and had given her a bath, scrubbing her harshly with brushes to get all the dirt out of her coat, mane, and tail. As she was being dried off, she gulped when Chrysalis, the changeling queen herself, came into the room.

"The dragons like their meals fresh and clean. They say it makes them taste better." Chrysalis chuckled evilly, causing Sweetie Belle to shiver. "I think next year Apple Bloom will be the next to go."

"What?! But... but she has her family here!" Sweetie Belle protested.

"The more family of those ponies that stood against me in Canterlot that I wipe out, the better. They will have nothing to fight for then. Every pony sacrificed makes their hope and resistance weaken, until finally it will be gone."

"Then why drag it out?" Sweetie asked bitterly. "Why not get rid of us all at once?"

"The longer it takes, the longer I can enjoy it of course!" Chrysalis leaned closer to her. "Tell me little pony, are you afraid?"

"No. At least I'll be with Scootaloo again." The white filly glared at her defiantly.

"You may not be scared now, but I'm sure you will be when the dragon starts to eat you. You have the rest of the day to prepare yourself. Do try not to let your final thoughts drive you mad won't you?" The queen smirked as she left.

After she was dried the ring had been put on her horn and she'd been placed in this cell. They'd turned the town hall into a prison. Her ears pricked up when heard somepony whisper her name and looked at the barred window. Apple Bloom was on the other side, looking in at her with tears streaming down her cheeks.

Sweetie Belle hurried over and reared up to reach through the bars, her hoof touching her friend's hoof gently.

"You shouldn't be here Apple Bloom. The changelings might get angry." Sweetie Belle also spoke in a whisper, hoping that they wouldn't be overheard.

"Let them! There has to be a way to stop this Sweetie Belle! There just has to be!"

"I don't see how. The changelings are everywhere, and there's a dragon nearby don't forget. Nopony has ever been able to escape, remember? Nopony would dare try. You know what happens if they do." The young unicorn sighed.

"How can you be so calm? You know what's going to happen tonight." Apple Bloom sniffled.

"At least I'll be with Scootaloo again. Maybe... maybe it's better this way."

"How can you say that?!" The earth filly gasped.

"Some things are worse than death. Do you really think living the rest of our lives this way is any better?" Sweetie Belle asked quietly.

"D-don't talk like that! You know our sisters or the princesses will think of something. They will! You can't just give up!" Apple Bloom begged.

"It's been three years already. I think if anything could be done, they'd have done it by now." Apple Bloom sobbed softly at her words. "Please don't cry. Everything will be okay eventually." Sweetie Belle knew the queen planned to sacrifice Apple Bloom, and probably her family, soon enough, but at least then they'd all be together in the after life wouldn't they? "You should go before you get caught."

"I'm not leaving you." Apple Bloom said stubbornly. "The cutie mark crusaders always stick together remember?"

"Yeah, I remember." Sweetie Belle regretted so many things. Not getting her cutie mark. Not getting to see her family again just one more time. Not getting to say a proper good bye to Scootaloo... but at least with Scootaloo soon she'd be saying hello. "You'll have to go when it starts getting dark though. Please Apple Bloom I don't want you to see them take me. Promise me you'll go then."

"Sweetie Belle..."

"Promise me Apple Bloom."

"I p-promise."

"Pinkie Promise?"

"Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my e-eye. Oh Sweetie Belle!"

"Shh... no more crying. Lets make these last moments between us count, okay Apple Bloom? I don't want them all to be sad. Lets talk about something else." Sweetie Belle begged her.

So they did. They talked about happier times. About the adventures they'd had crusading. Sweetie Belle even managed to get her best friend to smile a couple of times, but neither of them could quite forget what was going to happen.

"The sun is starting to go down Apple Bloom. You need to leave."

"We still have a little time."

"You should still go, just in case they come early."

"Sweetie..."

"You promised."

Apple Bloom choked out a sob and nodded. "I love you Sweetie Belle. You're like a sister to me!"

"I know. You're like one to me too." They hugged the best they could through the bars. "Go quick now." Apple Bloom nodded and hurried away, and Sweetie Belle was alone.

Sweetie Belle stared into space. She supposed she should be scared, or sad, but she didn't feel anything. She was just numb. Maybe she was in shock. None of this seemed real. It was like she'd been cast into a play and she was just acting her part, waiting for the play to be over.

She thought of her family and her friends. She hoped that Rarity and her parents, wherever they were, were okay. Well, as okay as anypony could be under these circumstances. Her thoughts drifted aimlessly through her memories until she finally heard hoof steps coming toward her cell and she looked up to see the queen smiling smugly at her. It wasn't until that moment that she realized how dark it'd become. The sun was down and day had changed to night.

It was time.

Suddenly nervous and worried, as if her emotions had decided right at that moment to return, Sweetie Belle backed up as the queen opened the door. She reared up and flattened herself against the bars, her forelegs spread out and pressed against them to help keep herself balanced.

Chrysalis' horn glowed, the glow surrounding Sweetie Belle as she was jerked forward. Other changelings came in with chains and they put a cuff around each hoof and one around her neck. After that she was pulled by the chains out of the room.

Now that the time had finally come she was filled with a sudden terror, as if it had finally sunk in that this was really going to happen. She was going to die, and depending on just what the dragon did, possibly quite painfully. She tried to struggle, to balk, but they were too strong. Whenever she stopped walking they simply dragged her, and before she knew it they were at the edge of the Everfree forest. Sweetie Belle tried to fight even harder seeing where they were going but they acted like she was about as bothersome as a gnat, easily still moving her forward.

At last they reached a clearing and they chained her to a tree before retreating, but still staying close enough to keep her in sight. Sweetie Belle tried to calm down, wiping sweat off her face. She looked up at the stars. She wanted to appreciate them one last time. They were as beautiful as always, like diamonds scattered across dark velvet. She looked at the moon and hoped that this was just a nightmare, that Luna would show up and rescue her from her dreams like she had in the past. For a few minutes, nothing happened, but just as her heart started to calm down she heard the roar, and it started racing again. The roar was followed by loud thuds that were headed right for her.

When the dragon appeared Sweetie Belle thought she might have a heart attack on the spot. She wished she would have one. That death would surely be far more merciful than this one would be. The dragon was huge, with red scales and black spikes and claws. His orange eyes looked at her menacingly before speaking in a voice so loud it put Luna's royal Canterlot voice to shame.

"It's been a long time since I've had a unicorn filly. They taste so very... sweet."

Sweetie Belle didn't have more than a moment to think about the irony of that statement before the dragon was lunging towards her. She screamed as he opened his mouth and she got a look at just how big his teeth were... then everything went black.


When Sweetie Belle awoke, the first thing she felt was somepony stroking her mane. The second thing she felt was that she was laying on a soft bed. The first thing she heard was a loving familiar voice.

"It's okay my sister. Everything is going to be all right."

Her eyes shot open and she sat up. "Rarity?!"

Rarity hugged her tightly. "Yes Sweetie Belle, it's me."

"And me too!" Somepony else joined in the hug.

"Scootaloo?!" Sweetie Belle gasped as she hugged them back. "I... what? Where are we?"

They both laughed. "We're in Canterlot!" Scootaloo told her.

"Wha... bu... how?!"

"Twilight came up with the idea." Rarity's eyes were sparkling merrily. "She got the dragons to pretend to eat the ponies the changelings gave them to eat. But in reality the ponies get carried to a secret location where Twilight shows up to teleport them here or the Crystal Empire! We're gradually building up the numbers on our side. Eventually we should have enough to finally be able to battle the changelings long enough to help the other prisoners escape, and once they regain their strength we should have a good chance of winning. Without the prisoners love to feed off of, the changelings will grow weaker. The only reason they were able to do all this is that they took us by surprise, but this time we'll be ready."

"But the last thing I remember was the dragon about to gobble me up!" Sweetie Belle rubbed her horn, delighted that the ring was gone.

"The dragon grabbed you in his mouth, but he was careful not to hurt you in doing so, just like with everypony else." Rarity reassured her. "You were so frightened that you fainted. It's understandable, you aren't the only one who has!"

"But... he really looked like he wanted to eat me." Sweetie gulped, remembering.

"He had to put on a good show for the changelings to make it believable." Scootaloo explained. "That's why the dragons come at night, it's harder to see exactly what's going on then, so the changelings think they just eat you whole."

"Are Mom and Dad here?" Sweetie Belle asked hopefully.

"Mother is. I think Father is in another place unfortunately." Rarity admitted. "However I fully expect for us to find him or for he to be sent here at some point, even if we have to wait until we can start helping the prisoners escape openly."

Sweetie Belle remembered what Apple Bloom had said about not giving up. "Me too Big Sister." She hugged Rarity again. "We'll find them. I just know it." Something occurred to her then. "Hey... how did you get the dragons to help?"

"By giving them lots and lots of gems. You know how much dragons love them." Rarity smiled.

Sweetie Belle thought about how Spike was always eating them. "Yeah they really do. The queen is in Ponyville right now Rarity. She said she'd sacrifice the Apple Family eventually. She said she wanted to sacrifice all of our families. That means that they'll end up here right? Oh and Dad will too! If they can find him anyway."

"They sure will, then we'll finally all be together again!" Scootaloo grinned.

"Wait a sec, why don't the dragons just help us release the other prisoners right now?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"The changelings can still overwhelm a dragon with their magic." Rarity reminded her. "But once we get enough of our ponies back, especially the unicorns, they can help us do that then. We have to be sneaky until we get enough ponies back on our side."

"Oh okay, I get it." Sweetie Belle nodded.

"I'm so glad to have you back." Scootaloo hugged her again. "I can't wait till Apple Bloom gets here. Applejack is going to be so glad to see her!"

Sweetie Belle couldn't help feeling bad for Apple Bloom and her family for a moment. She knew how terrifying it would be for them, but it would be worth it in the end, when they'd all be reunited. Right now she was just so happy to be alive and with her friends and family again.

"Soon we'll all be able to go crusading again!" Scootaloo cheered.

"Who would have ever thought that being made a sacrifice and being eaten by a dragon would turn out to be a good thing?" Sweetie Belle sighed in relief.


As the sun rose, Apple Bloom managed to sneak into the forest, following the trail that had been made when her second best friend had been dragged into it. She knew she'd have to go back soon before she was missed, but something in her needed to do this, just like when they'd taken Scootaloo. When she got to the clearing she could smell a coppery scent. She stepped over one of the broken chains still attached to a tree and sat down in front of the stains on the grass. A tear slid down her cheek as she spotted then lifted up a single lock of pink and purple hair. It too, had a dark stain on it.

Wherever Sweetie Belle was now... she hoped her friend was happy.

Comments ( 7 )

:moustache: Come with me if you want to live!

:applecry: Spike?

:moustache: Awe COME ON!

:scootangel:The Spikeinator.

:unsuresweetie: I'll be back!

:raritystarry: Silly dragon

I'mma have to disagree with this story. For starters, changeligns are not very strong creatures to begin with, reliant on trickery to rule.

And no, a dragon would not be overwhelmed by changeling magic.

Ayla #3 · Jul 9th, 2015 · · 1 ·

6183548 Uh yes, changelings are very strong magically if they get enough love in them. Example: Queen Chrysalis was able to beat Princess Celestia herself. We're talking about overwhelming numbers here. Even tiny fragile bees can overwhelm and kill an adult if there are enough of them.

Also who says adult dragons are resistant to magic? We haven't seen evidence for or against that during the show.

Last but not least, did you not see the alternate universe tag?

I don't get it. Did she actually die or not? :rainbowhuh:
also :fluttercry::raritycry::raritydespair::fluttershysad::ajsleepy::applecry:

6435042 Yes which is why the story is labeled a tragedy. Basically she's in Heaven where she's being made to think that everything is all right so that she'll be happy.

6436966
That's what I thought. I had to be sure. I can be slow to understand sometimes. :facehoof:
Great story though. I loved it. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment