• Published 18th May 2012
  • 1,600 Views, 22 Comments

1930 A.D - Sam_Hunter



A pulp adventure story in a far and different futur

  • ...
2
 22
 1,600

Inciting Incident

1930 A.D

Chapter 2 : Inciting Incident

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday, September 7th 1923 A.D, 19:37

The Cardinal Ortega was restlessly pacing in his office. The news of the discovery of the Goddesses book had made him ecstatic, but it wasn't the first time he had heard ponies claiming to have found this relic. He had to be absolutely sure it was the real book before making his first move.
There was a gentle rapping on the door.

"Come in."

A light green mare with a mint mane and wearing glasses entered with a file. She trotted to the desk and putted the file on it before making a little bow to the Cardinal.

"Monsignor, we just received this from the diocese of London, it's concerning the book donated by the professor Vecquer. They conducted some researches and it seems they can confirm its authenticity."

"Thank you Sister Anne, I'll look into it" He said, warmly smiling at her.

When she leaved the room, the Cardinal sat at his desk and started perusing the files. Even if the dating reports were a little off, there were no doubts that it was the book he had been searching for so long.
Turning around, he looked at the city lights from its window, a disturbing smile spreading on his lips.

"The time has finally come."

The reflection in the window showed a tall stallion with a dark red coat and a short gray mane smirking at him, and for an brief instant his silver eyes were replaced by turquoise, reptilian ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, September 9th 1923 A.D, 08:21

RRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGG

As Jack would explain to you, she isn't a lazy pony, she is just not a morning mare.
Groaning, she smashed around her nightstand with one hoof, trying to find her alarm clock. Finally finding the offending machine, she turned it off without looking and proceeded to roll back in her bed.

RRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGG

"What the hay ?"

Groggily jumping out of bed, she took the direction of her living room where the phone was still ringing, cursing whoever was calling this early.

"Miss Winthrop here." She said grinding her teeth, trying not to snap at her interlocutor.

"Jack it's me, we have a problem!" Marc was at the other end of the line, and is tone was pressing.

"Come on Marc, it's Sunday, I asked you to stop disturbing me with work during my time off." Marc had the bad habit to give her work on weekends and she had always been trying to put a stop to it.

"It's important ! The book disappeared, now there is an investigation and the police want to see us."

"Wait, what ? Why ?"

"Hurry up, they'll be seeing us at my office, I'll explain it to you there." Marc seemed extremely preoccupied.

"Ok ok, on my way, but you're going to pay me lunch for that", joked Jack in an attempt to calm her mentor.

"Whatever, see you there in an hour." Marc hung up.

Jack wondered what was upsetting so much her mentor. That was a bad news for the historic community if someone stole the book to the church so soon after they located it, and if no one find it back quickly it would be a disaster fr the church. The book could easily be sold on the black market to a collector, its secrets hidden to everypony but one lucky buyer. Moreover, now not only couldn't she study it herself, but she also may not hear about its content during her life time !

Though, why was Marc so stressed? Something wasn't right, she never saw him like this before. They had been in tight spots sometimes, but Marc was always joking and taking everything in stride, he was the embodiment of optimism.

Was he worrying about being suspicious to the police or something ?

Jack wasted no more time and jumped in the shower. After a quick attempt to tame her mane, she slipped on her saddlebag and grabbed some snacks to eat on the way. Marc's office wasn't far away from her apartment, but since she never had the money to buy a car, she had to rely on public transportation, which was always slow during weekends.

Approaching the building, she could see a police car parked in front and two bobbies waiting at the entrance.
One of them faced her when she neared the entrance.

"Miss Winthrop?" asked the constable.

"Yes ?" answered Jack nervously.

"Detective Patterson is waiting for you upstairs, please come with me."

The bobby opened the door for Jack and followed her in the stairs leading to the office. A mare was waiting on the third floor, in front of a door with a plate reading "Prof. Marc Vecquer, Archaeologist". For Jack, she could have been in her thirties, and had a tan coat and a medium length reddish-brown, almost auburn, mane framing her face. The first thing that Jack noticed was the piercing glare the mare gave her with her ice blue eyes, like if trying to analyze the very soul of the young assistant in a simple glance, before easing her expression into a welcoming smile. Unsurprisingly, her cutie mark was a magnifying glass.

"Miss Winthrop I presume ? Hello I am detective Lizbeth Patterson" The detective offered her hoof to Jack who shook it apprehensively.

"I am afraid that we will have to wait here until mister Vecquer show up." the detective said in a light tone, smiling.

"Well, Marc gave me a spare key, so let's just wait inside" offered Jack while taking said key from her saddlebags.

She opened the door and let in the detective and the policeman before entering. The place was a mess as per usual. Open books and notes where laying everywhere and it was difficult to navigate in the cramped office. The only place that seemed orderly, if a little dusty, was Marc's collection of historical knick-knacks that was sitting in a corner behind a glass case.

Jack went to the stove placed behind the desk. "Do you want some tea or coffee ?"

"A tea would be perfect" answered the detective.

"No thanks ma'am" added the constable.

Patterson was examining the case when Jack come back with two steaming cups of tea on a tray.

Jack tried to break the ice "So, you are interested in archeology ?" Something in the way the detective was acting was putting Jack on nerves, and she knew that messing with her would be a a really bad idea.

"Oh, not really, I'm just taking a look around, sorry." Answered the detective, then turning around and taking the cup Jack was offering her in her forelimb. "Thanks."

"I guess that while we are waiting for mister Vecquer we could already get started. I take that you know the reason of our presence ?" Asked Patterson.

"I don't really know the details. Marc called me this morning to tell me that the book we brought back disappeared and that the police wanted to see us, then to meet him here." Jack shrugged.

"And do you know where mister Vecquer is right now ?" The look she had earlier was returning to her eyes.

"No, he should be here by now, I guess he is on its way." Jack smiled. She didn't want the discussion to linger too much on that. Patterson intimidating presence and Marc's behavior on the phone worried her for her mentor. She was certain than something was wrong and that Marc was in trouble. Her feeling of unease must have shown on her face since the detective changed the subject.

"The theft happened in the diocese office of London yesterday, and had been reported this morning. Can you tell me what you where doing this Saturday ?" asked Patterson, still staring at her.

Jack shifted nervously despite herself "Well Marc and I just came back from our expedition yesterday actually. We landed at around noon, then we checked out and went to Marc's place to prepare ourselves for the reception, that's all."

"The reception ?" The detective was slowly approaching Jack

"Yes, the London institute of archeology organized a reception for Marc and me, for finding the book." Jack was trying to distance herself from the mare but was soon trapped against a pile of book

"So how come the book was at the diocese office yesterday and not with you ?"

"Marc sent it to some person he knew at the office a week ago, as a donation, when we were still on the field." The two mares where now almost muzzle to muzzle.

"I see. So yesterday you came back from your trip and got to mister Vecquer's apartment before going to this reception ?"

"Yes"

"When did you leave the reception ?"

"It was around ten I think, or half past ten, I called a cab and went home."The barrage of questions and the proximity of the detective were almost pushing Jack to her limit.

"And mister Vecquer ?" continued Patterson. She had completely ignored her tea since she started asking questions, looking directly in Jack's eyes.

"I... I... I don't know, I think he stayed after I left, and I didn't talk with him since this morning. Are we suspected detective ?"

Patterson eased her stance and backed a step before taking a sip from her cup, as if nothing had happened. "Sorry, it's just normal procedure, you don't have to worry." She made a delighted sound "Well, this is some really fine tea !"

Jack sighed with relief "Thanks".

Patterson turned around and took another look at the collection before asking casually "If I may ask, are you in a relationship with mister Vecquer ?"

"No. Why ?" Asked Jack still on her guard. She had a crush on him, back when she was still her student, but it never got anywhere and it was a long time ago. She was the perfect example of the naive college student at the time.

"Excuse me, simple curiosity." Patterson said, smiling sheepishly.

After that last question they stayed silent for what seemed hours to Jack before the second bobby went in with Marc in toe.
If the aging stallion was still nervous, he was making a great job at hiding.

"Sorry if I'm late, I had some trouble with my car. The old mule refused to move, if you'll excuse me the expression" he said with a chuckling lightly.

Marc walked behind his desk, brushed apart some old notes on his chair, and sat down. "How can I help you?" added the stallion in his business-like manners.

The conversation stretched for another hour, Patterson first asking the same question to Marc that she asked to Jack, and then asking for details. Marc's story was almost the same as Jack's, so the detective finally went to ask if they had any information concerning the theft. She then left her card, telling them to call if they ever learned something that could help her investigation before leaving.

"Well, that went better than expected." said Marc once the police officers departed. "Lunch is on me if I remember, right?" joked the old archaeologist. "It may be a little soon but we'll avoid the rush that way."

"Is everything alright? You seemed... tense on the phone." asked Jack.

"Oh, that? It's nothing, I was just upset about the theft. Now the press will be all about how somepony stole an ancient book from the church and will forget about us. We can say goodbye to free publicity and fame now." Marc dismissed.

Jack looked at him quizzically. She knew her mentor was hiding something, and if she hadn't still been troubled by her encounter with Patterson she would have pressed on, but right now she was more than happy to leave the cramped room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, September 9th 1923 A.D, 11:13

Detective Patterson was sitting at a table in a pub not far from Vecquer's office, waiting for her partner, when she saw him crossing the street in the direction of the establishment. Detective Ridchard Bennett was smaller than your average stallion and had a dull gray coat with a jet black mane, the only hint of color being his forest green eyes and his cutie mark of a roll of police tape. His head was oddly shaped and always reminded Patterson some sort of weasel. Ridchard wasn't the most handsome stallion around, but where Patterson could accurately analyze ponies and their behavior, he had no rival for digging out clue on a crime scene and every little fact about somepony's background.

The stallion entered the pub and took a sat across Patterson.

"I've checked for Jacqueline Winthrop, neighbors say that she came home around quarter past eleven and didn't get out after that. From what I gathered she's a 'nice girl if not a little messy' and occasionally pay her rent late.
I'm not sure about Vecquer, some ponies who attended to the reception says that he leaved around one o'clock but I can't get any confirmation with neighbors if he got straight home or not. Nothing special about him save for business trips from time to time, always according to the neighbors. I've got the address of his ex-wife but she live out of town."

"There's something fishy with this case. Vecquer seemed off to me during the interrogation. he seemed too calm. It couldn't have been anything but an act. Problem is, he don't fit the profile of the perfect burglar, he couldn't have done it without leaving clues or witnesses behind. Did you found anything on the scene yet ?"

"Nope, I combed the entire building twice to be sure, and it gave nothing. No hoofprints, no tools, no sign of break-in whatsoever. Almost look like a ghost did it or something."

Patterson smirked "Yeah, or maybe a unicorn ? Anyway, try to dig up something on Vecquer, he couldn't have done it it but I'm sure he's hiding something. I'll keep an eye on this Miss Winthrop too. There isn't a lot to find in this direction but who knows ? Maybe it won't look like we have nothing to the bigwigs."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, September 9th 1923 A.D, 09:42

<...and Celestia said to her prophets : 'Do not loath this day, for I will always be by your side. Do not cry my death, for I will forever live in your hearths. Do not fear the future, for I will protect my subjects from my eternal kingdom until the day of our reunification.' The goddesses may not be of flesh and blood anymore, but they are still here, guarding diligently the mortal world, waiting for us from her thrones in Heaven, Amen>

<Amen>

Father Simon's office was a little too simple for his taste today, but it seemed appropriate since a lot of colts and fillies who where about to begin catechism this year had been brought by their parents. Besides, it never hurts to review the basics from time to time.
Which he will be doing a lot, since he volunteered to teach those catechism classes.
The mass ended a couple of minutes later with the benedictions, and the priest took some time to exchange a few word with it's parishioners and meet the young minds he will soon enlighten. When the last pony left, he went to the the vestry to undress.

He was a stallion in his mid-forties with a cobalt blue coat and amber eyes. His mane, while cut short in a militaristic fashion, was a light purple. On his flank was a representation of a stylized cross, which almost looked like a greatsword, the hilt upward. However his most distinctive traits were undeniably the collection of scars on his body.

Just when the priest hung it's vestments, the phone in the presbytery started to rang. He trotted the short distance and picked up the phone.

<Church of Our Lady of the Harbor, what can I do to help ?>

"Father Simon, your expertise is requested in London, we secured for you a place in the Nice-London flight at 3 p.m, with a short stop to Paris."

A grim expression washed over the priest face "Every time my skills are called in always seems too soon."

"Amen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, September 9th 1923 A.D, 10:00

RRRIIIIINNNNGGG RRRIIIIINNNNGGG RRRIIIIINNNNGGG

"Freaking evil contraption from hell" mumbled Jack while shutting off the alarm clock.

Lunch with Marc yesterday was nice, especially since he paid for her meal, but a discussion on their recent expedition led to a discussion about the courses Marc would teach to college freshmen, which then led to the first lecture of the year that he would give this Monday, which finally led Jack to spend the rest of her Sunday working with Marc to prepare his lectures for the next few weeks. She didn't found the time to ask him further about yesterday morning and ended up going home really late.

At least today was her day off since Marc was busy teaching the magic of archeology to a bunch of young ponies with dreams of adventures. Basically, he was currently crushing every hopes of every single one of his students by showing them how wrong they were. Most of the time three quarters of the class defected to another course before the end of the year.

She jumped off her bed and went straight to the bathroom, washing the sleep out of herself with a cold shower.
When she went back to the living room she eyed the pile of mail, groaning. Three month worth of mail to sort through can only be described as a pain in the ass. She went to her kitchen and put water to boil for some tea before sitting in front of the pile. That's when she noticed the package on top of it. It was rectangular and rather heavy, wrapped in paper craft. Not really paying attention to the fact it was devoid of any post office stamp or marking, she started tiring it up.

Jack's face went instantly pale. "Holy shit !"

In her hooves was the very book she dug up two weeks ago, the invaluable book that was now property of the Church, and was declared stolen since yesterday.

Comments ( 7 )

Yea, Needs looked over by someone who's primary language is English. However it's an interesting story so far, I am curious to see how a world of ponies so segregated will react to knowing it's most beloved heroes came from a integrated society and their Gods are both real and a combination of all 3 races.

Someone really wants her to read that book

Huh. Well, this is most intriguing. You've got another follower.

I want ore...I wanna know why the mane 6 were exectued

this looks good. gonna have to read when i have time >_<

screw exams :twilightangry2::flutterrage:

Much better after the re-write. Now, continue it!

Y1

Oh! This updated. Sorry it took me so long to comment. I read the chapter and the mistakes are less prevalent but still there. There's a lot of mistakes
I'll preread for you if you're interested or someone else already hasn't done so.

Login or register to comment