• Published 9th May 2015
  • 396 Views, 0 Comments

Midnight Sorrow - Inucroft1



Though many decades had passed, Twilight friendship remained strong.

  • ...
4
 0
 396

Eternity

Beep…

Beep…

Beep…


The continual sound of the heart monitor quietly echoed within the dark room. Soft moonlight seeped through the curtains, gently illuminating the furnishings within. Twilight stood ridged and unblinking, as she watched over the bed’s occupant.

Twilight’s fur had faded with age and love, the once vibrant purple colour had now become pale. Yet as the years had come and gone, she remained by his side. Her friend, her love, her companion, her caretaker; she could not find the words to describe their relationship bar one: eternal.

The bed’s occupant stirred and the pace of the monitor increased. Opening his eyes, the elderly man sighed and propped himself up onto his elbows. Only then, did he look over to Twilight. Even in the darkened room, Twilight drank in the happiness she saw radiating off the old man’s face.

Many decades had passed since they both had met, yet both of them could remember the day they met clearly. A few months had passed since an unknown anomaly had inadvertently created a portal between their worlds.

He was nought but a young child, barely five years old, had been selected amongst five other children to travel through the portal. His parents had told him it was cultural exchange program, and that they would be looking after a young colt while the colt’s parents would look after him in return.

During his time within Equestria, he saw numerous wonders and things that defied all logic. Seeing a city made of clouds or mythical creatures that we nought but stories back home. Yet still their meeting was the most awe-inspiring of all.

It was the final day of the cultural exchange when he finally met her. Each of the six children were to meet one of the element bearers. He was to meet Princess Twilight Sparkle. The sheen and softness of her fur, the depth of those eyes. All he could do was stare in admiration of the alicorn before him.

As his melancholy wore off, the man senses slowly returned to the cold hospital room. Finding himself back in reality, his happiness slowly faded. Facing Twilight once more, the man smiled and laid himself back down onto the bed. With little else to occupy himself with, he slowly slipped back into slumber.

Hours passed, and Twilight noted the light changing from a weak moonlight to the first rays of dawn. The muted choir of birdsong could be heard through the window. Beautiful music to anybody awake during the early hours of the day, it filled the silence within the room.

The corridor outside became active as the night staff slowly gave way to the morning shift. The sound of shoes and hooves echoed as people went about their morning tasks. Outside, a hushed conversation was being held. The conversation abruptly ended as the door was opened by a purple foreleg.

Standing in the doorway was Princess Twilight while alongside her was one of the hospital nurses. As Princess Twilight walked towards the bed, the nurse went over to the interments in the room. Unlike Twilight, the princess had retained her strong colour and sheen as though time simply washed over her.

The princess placed a gentle hoof onto the man within the bed, while her horn glowed tinting the room violet. The nurse having finished the checks moved and stood beside the princess with a solemn look.

“I’m sorry your majesty, he passed away within his sleep a few hours ago”

Sadness swept through the Princesses. Removing her hoof off the bedsheets, she took a moment to take in the room. As she did so, she spotted Twilight still standing vigil over her now dead owner on the bedside cabinet.

Gingerly and ever so slowly, the Princess reached out a hoof and picked the unmoving Twilight up. Having brought it to her face, the princess inspected her. She spotted where Twilight had been damaged and subsequently repaired. Satisfied, she placed Twilight back down onto the cabinet.

“I can’t believe he has kept this all this time…” gently spoke Twilight, “Myself and Rarity had made these by hoof as a gift for the children. One each of the bearers, he got this one. The look on his face, he just absolutely adored it”

Recalling the day, she had been so excited to meet the children. While she and the other girls had been unable to meet them, Princess Luna had been deeply involved with their time within Equestria. Indeed, it was Princess Luna who had given the idea for a farewell gift to the children on their last day.

Sitting down with the girls, Princess Twilight explained her idea to them. They instantly agreed, and with the assistance of Rarity all six had made wonderful dolls of themselves to give to the children. Six dolls, one for each child.

Upon the day the children had to return, they were taken to Twilight’s Castle for a going away party. Of course, Pinkie organised the whole event. The children and the families they were staying with all were thoroughly enjoying themselves. All apart from a single young boy.

The small child stayed to one side, staying out of the way of eveypony. Curiously, she had walked over to the boy. Looking up, the child face filled that was filled with sadness was quickly awash with amazement. For the remainder of the party, Princess Twilight remained by his side holding conversation trying to slate his unquenchable desire for knowledge about Equestria.

Having made her choice, opening her saddle pack, a small purple Twilight doll was levitated over to the child. His reaction, she reflected, was probably one of the most adorable imagined. While firstly stunned, the small child hugged the doll tightly while a small cry of delight.

Reaching a hoof out again as the memory faded, Princess Twilight picked up the old doll of herself and placed it within the arms of the bed’s occupant. Regret and sorrow passed through her once more before leaving with the nurse in tow. The door closed behind them.

Unbeknown to the pair, a single tear had rolled down the polyester muzzle and onto the bedsheets.

Author's Note:

Been a while, had a flash of insperation last night just as i was going to bed thanks to "Dash's Tears in the Rain"

Same universe setting as "Stuffing the Royal Plot"

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment