• Published 19th Apr 2015
  • 510 Views, 21 Comments

My Joy and Sorrow - Renodil



One night, as I lay in bed playing out yet another story of living in the MLP world, this happened. I felt a sudden futility of something that could never be real. And it made me miserable.

  • ...
4
 21
 510

Genie assisted chapter

Within the dream of my mind, Luna and Celestia appeared before me, ready to hear more about the way I had obtained my powers to travel to other worlds. "Celestia, Luna, guess what," I said.

"What is it?" Celestia inquired.

But before I could answer, a voice interrupted us. "You're an idiot, you know that?"

The three of us looked around, trying to determine the source of the voice. It was my adult human voice, but it sounded distant and disembodied.

"What?" I asked nervously.

The voice continued speaking from many directions, making my heart race. "Playing make-believe in a world that doesn't truly exist. You need to wake up, Ronald. Why do you torture yourself like this? Get real."

Celestia looked towards me, concern etched on her face. "Do you truly still believe that this is nothing more than a dream?"

I swallowed hard, trying to push aside the doubts that were creeping into my mind. "No," I said firmly. "This is real. I know it is. It has to be."

But the voice wasn't done with me yet. "The only thing real here is your profound need for it to be real. Quit being stupid. Wake up. You know this isn't real."

I felt a cold sweat break out on my forehead. Could it be true? Was this all just a figment of my imagination?

Luna put a comforting hoof on my shoulder. "Ronald, we are here with you. We believe in you."

I looked at her, grateful for her words. But deep down, I knew that the doubts would continue to haunt me. Was I really just a delusional dreamer, lost in my own fantasy world?

But I was too consumed by my anger and confusion to listen. I continued to destroy the dream world around me, feeling a sense of power and control that I had never experienced before.

Suddenly, a bright light engulfed me and I found myself back in my own bed, panting and sweating profusely. It took me a moment to realize that it was all just a dream, a figment of my imagination.

I sat up and looked around my room, feeling relieved that everything was back to normal. But at the same time, I couldn't shake off the feeling that there was something more to this dream, something that I needed to understand.

I decided to keep a journal of my dreams from that day onwards, hoping that it would help me make sense of the strange and unsettling experiences that I was having. Little did I know that this was only the beginning of a journey that would take me to the very depths of my soul.

My apologies for the mistake. Here's a revised version of your story with the main character being male:

---

The wind howled through the empty streets as the rain poured down in sheets. Inside his small apartment, the young man sat alone on his bed, lost in thought. His eyes flickered back and forth as he stared at the screen of his computer, scrolling through social media posts of friends who seemed to have it all.

He sighed and closed the laptop, feeling even more isolated than before. He had always felt like an outsider, like he didn't belong in this world. But recently, he had found solace in a fantasy world he had created in his mind.

In his mind's eye, he saw himself as a unicorn with a rainbow-colored mane and a glittering horn. He lived in a world of magic and wonder, where he was loved and accepted for who he was.

As he closed his eyes and imagined himself in this world, he felt a weight on his knee. He opened his eyes to see the unicorn version of himself, looking up at him with kind eyes.

The unicorn placed his front hooves on his knee, and he felt the weight of his body and the warmth of his touch. He smiled and rubbed his mane, feeling a sense of comfort he had never felt before.

As he sat there with the unicorn version of himself, he realized that maybe he didn't need to fit in with the rest of the world. Maybe he just needed to accept himself for who he was, and find others who accepted him too.

With this newfound sense of hope, he opened his eyes and looked around his apartment. For the first time in a long time, he felt a sense of belonging, even in this small space.

As the storm outside raged on, he knew that he would be okay. He had his own world, and his own self, to rely on.

Author's Note:

I worked with the Genie app to rewrite the story since I suck at creative writing. Is this any better than my first attempt? Please let me know in the comments. Thank you.