• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 27,809 Views, 1,819 Comments

Distorted Fate - Silvak



What happens when a dimension traveler ends up being stuck in a place they never expected to be? In a place where they find themselves in a new body, dealing with an unknown species. Note: This is not a HiE story.

  • ...
76
 1,819
 27,809

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XLVI: Rift

"This is bucking boring, why can't I fly?" Rainbow whined, though this wasn't the first time.

"Cause I need you to be fully rested, in case you have to fly like crazy," I grumbled as I rubbed a hoof against my forehead, feeling a headache building up. After we left the room, we took a quick look at the dimensional portal that was forming to see that it hadn't established itself, yet. This gave us time to get on the chariots before we flew off with Luna and Celestia, at my suggestion to preserve their energy, in their own chariots as well.

While I was still seated next to Pinkie, Rainbow was situated next to me, due to my demands that she remained seated and rested as well for whatever can occur. This however led to Rainbow whining about wanting to fly, only for me to shoot it down every time. Sometimes though I had threatened to have Twilight or one of the princesses hold her with their magic, while I, myself, was tempted to keep her mouth shut with my own magic.

"Oh come on Aether, what can go wrong with the princesses with us?"

"Want me to give you a list that is longer than any Twilight has ever made?"

"Wow! That's a lot of things that can go wrong!" Pinkie said.

"Oh come on, you're just saying that," Rainbow countered.

I just stared at her for a moment, before blinking as I said, "No, I can really come up with a list longer than the ones Twilight comes up with. Though if you want the reasons now, I could always rattle them off till we arrive at the forest." This finally caused Rainbow to just grumble to herself, to the much needed relief for my head.

It wasn't long before we were right above the forest edge, as we were able to get a better view of the swirling vortex that could soon turn into a portal. At this point, Celestia positioned herself in the middle of the group as she declared, "Alright my little ponies, we will land here and await for the portal to form. Aether can give me any further information needed, but Luna and I wi—" before she was interrupted as a wave of energy pulsed out of the vortex. Everypony screamed as it sent the chariots flying. The Elements were able to hang onto the chariots, with the pegasi bearers able to reorient the carts. However, due to my unfamiliarity with them... I was sent flying from my chariot.

"Aether!" Pinkie screamed as I plummeted to my doom, before abruptly landing on something. Turning over, I saw that Celestia had caught me on her back, with the staff bearing the Maralus core in her magic.

"Aether, are you alright?" Celestia asked as she turned to look at me with concern on her face, while from afar I could hear Pinkie let out a sigh of relief.

"I'm fine Prin—" I started before my eyes drifted to the vortex to catch a sight that left me dumbstruck. Following my gaze, Celestia looked along with the other ponies to see that the portal had finished forming. However, instead of having a circular shape, the portal was deformed to where it looked like some misshapen blotch in the sky. To complicate things further, we all could feel a suction force, as well as see branches and a few small trees being sucked into the portal.

"Just bucking great, we got an unstable portal! It’s almost like a tear in the dimensional barrier! This is going to get messy! Princess Celestia, we need to get there and disrupt the portal now!" I yelled.

"After we get you back to the chariots whe—" Celestia said, interrupted by a monstrous roar, echoing out of the portal.

Eyes wide with horror, I grabbed Celestia's head, bringing her face right next to mine as I yelled, "No time! Just go before whatever made that roar comes through and kills us all!"

Seeing how shocked I was, Celestia replied, "Hang on," before she whipped her head around. I wrapped my forelegs around her neck as my hooves gripped onto her coat. With a mighty flap, Celestia sent us rocketing towards the portal. This surprised everypony else but Luna recovered quickly, barking an order to the rest of the ponies before flying to catch up with us.

We only crossed a short distance before the portal released another burst of energy; however this time, energy wasn't the only thing being sent out from the tear. For before our very eyes, not only the materials that were drawn into the portal were expelled, but various debris ranging from misshapen hunks of metal, to chunks of land, and even asteroids were sent crashing into Equestria’s surface. This stunned the princesses at first before they snapped back to reality as they weaved through the debris, occasionally blasting away a fast moving asteroid.

"Is this suppose to happen with a dimensional portal?" Celestia asked as she ducked underneath what looked to be part of some ancient building.

"No, this portal is unstable, so... expect anything!" I screamed as a tree flew over our heads. "Okay, I hate flying now!"

As we got closer to the portal, it released another burst of energy, knocking the princesses back as the tear deforms even more. This time the deformation caused the portal to develop some kind of gravitational pull as debris now orbited around the opening, creating new obstacles. Even the natural landscape was being ripped apart by the portal, where the broken pieces joined the debris in the sky.

"This portal is truly creating chaos that Discord would surely enjoy," Luna commented as she erected a barrier to avoid being pelted by a barrage of rocks.

"Just focus on closing the portal before something dangerous comes through! We're lucky that only debris have came through, so let's keep it that way!" I hollered to which Celestia responded with a short nod as she flew over some giant hunk of metal. We continued on our way, getting closer to the tear as more and more projectiles are released from within it and torn from the ground. Though the princess were doing an excellent job of dodging the hazards that came at us, it only delayed us as more and more debris entered the junk that is already revolving around the tear.

"Enough of this! We will create a path to the portal with our magic!" Luna yelled in frustration as she created some kind of magical barrier that shaped like a tunnel leading straight to the portal. However I knew better as I watched the barrier quickly deformed before breaking into pieces. "What trickery is this?"

"We're dealing with a deformed portal that has its own... pull. It's going to distort any large barrier you make! We just have to push on through, there is no other way!"

Grunting by the looks of it, Luna fired a beam of magic at an incoming boulder to vent out her frustration, reducing it to dust. Meanwhile Celestia had grabbed a sheet of metal with her own magic, using it as an improvised shield as she pushed through a shower of metallic shards. We soon reached the revolving barrier of junk, to which Luna charged some magic into her horn before firing off a burst. The burst exploded on contact with the debris field, creating a hole in the revolving junkyard.

"Oh... buck..." I whimpered as I saw that instead of releasing another wave of debris, the tear suffered a massive deformation before it released a massive asteroid. I was about to make some prayers to whatever being would hear them when I saw both Luna and Celestia fire a beam of magic onto the asteroid, causing it to shatter into pieces that flew past us.

"No need to be afraid my little pony," Celestia said in a tone that I knew was teasing.

"Yeah yeah, don't be scared when you're on a pony that can move the sun. But I have a proposal, instead of teasing the doubting pony... Disrupt that portal before something bigger comes out!" I yelled while resisting the temptation to smack the back of Celestia's head.

The shattering of the asteroid helped to break up the debris field to allow us in, at which we were finally close enough to the portal to act. As Celestia started to recreate the vibration that I showed her earlier, Luna used her magic to shield us from anything that came our way. Thankfully Celestia operated well under pressure, generating the right frequency and soon poured magic into the core till she produced a small rift.

"You haven't mention the next st—" Celestia started to say till I interrupted her.

"Just shove the bucking rift into the portal already!" I yelled as I felt like one of my veins about to burst. "Toss the staff into the portal, or something. Just end it already!" Heeding my word, Celestia started to move the staff towards the tear, but before the two distortions of space could touch a disfigured tentacle came out of the portal. "Buck! We need to sen—" I screamed before I saw an asteroid surrounded with a dark blue aura crashed into the monstrosity, sending it back into the tear as we heard a pained howl coming from the portal.

Turning my head to Luna, I saw her give me a smile that I returned with one of my own. Nodding to her sister, Celestia then returned her attention to the portal as she threw the staff at the tear with the rift headfirst. At the very moment the rift contacted the portal, a massive blinding explosion occurred, sending all of us flying. This included me flying straight off Celestia's back. The best part was I just didn't just fly off Celestia's back, I was blasted off with enough force that I was an equine version of a damn rocket.

So here I was, somehow not hitting any of the falling debris as I was plummeting towards the ground. Instead I was going to be a bloody smear on the fast approaching ground until I somehow stopped right before I painted the ground red. Looking around in confusion, I spotted Discord sitting on some odd chair.

"Good show little filly, good show," Discord said as he gave me a slow clap.

"...You decided to show up after the... issue is over‽" I screamed at him.

"Temper temper temper, you don't want your head blowing up, do you?" Discord said, waving a talon at me as the princesses and the rest of the group arrived.

"Aether, you're okay!" Pinkie said as she jumped towards me from her still airborne chariot.

"No no no no!" I wailed before Pinkie crashed into me, embracing me in another one of her choking hugs. With my vision obscured by her, I felt us spinning around until we crashed into the ground. Thankfully Pinkie cushioned the fall, though I still didn't appreciate it as I said, "Pinkie, I know you were worried about me, but couldn't you wait till we're both on the ground to hug me?"

"But I was so worried when you fell off the chariot! Though Celestia was like 'whoosh' and saved you, but then I got worried again when she took you to stop the portal," Pinkie explained as she nuzzled me.

"Oh... sorry about that, but when we heard that roar, I knew we had no time to spare. So I told the princesses just to go straight for the portal now instead of putting me down," I replied, as Pinkie set me down, only to gasp in surprise. Every other pony looked to see why Pinkie gasped, only to gasp in surprise as well after they saw what she saw. "What, can anypony tell me what's going on?"

Discord laughed at me as he snapped his fingers to cause a mirror to appear as he said, "And here I thought you were an observant pony," before he showed me a reflection of my flank.

Looking in the mirror, I saw on my hindquarters that it wasn't blank anymore, that I had got my Cutie Mark. Wow... I gotten my Cut— wait. Is that a curved shooting star, or a crescent moon with a star on its end?

PreviousChapters Next