• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 27,770 Views, 1,819 Comments

Distorted Fate - Silvak



What happens when a dimension traveler ends up being stuck in a place they never expected to be? In a place where they find themselves in a new body, dealing with an unknown species. Note: This is not a HiE story.

  • ...
76
 1,819
 27,770

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter XLI: Confrontation

"MONSTER!"

"Gah! What the buck?" I said as I jumped out of bed, my head darting around as I searched for the origin of the disturbance. It wasn't long before my ears registered the sounds of ponies screaming outside.

"What the buck is going on?" I asked myself as I went over to my window, opening it as I looked for what was going on. Poking my head out the window, I only saw some ponies galloping around in a panic. I saw other ponies running into their houses, and I could hear the rather loud sound of ponies nailing boards to their doors and windows. Yet, I couldn't see what was causing the panic, so I decided to climb onto the roof as I looked around further. I finally spotted the source of the commotion, and the sight of it caused my jaw to drop.

Approaching the edge of town was a large crystal creature, ten feet long and four feet tall. Its body was shaped like a triangular prism widest at the top. The main body was about twenty five feet above the ground due to being supported by six crystalline tentacles that ended with four clawed talons. A... a Dixian War Machine! How the fuck did it—gah. Doesn't matter. Damn it all, I hope somepony can do something about it before it destroys the town.

Just before the Dixian War Machine reached the edge of town, I saw Rainbow flying towards it. She zipped around, and appeared to be hitting the machine, but sadly I knew that she lacked the strength to damage its crystalline plating. Her efforts did distract the machine, however, as it swung its tentacles at her, though she was able to dodge all its attacks with some quick flying.

Soon, I saw Twilight and Fluttershy flying towards the machine as well. Fluttershy just stopped right before its eyes. As I tried to comprehend whatever possessed her to do that, I saw that she was trying to stare it down, and looked like she was even trying to berate it. Sadly, I knew it wouldn't work. The machine swung a tentacle at her, only for Rainbow to fly by Fluttershy, pulling her out of the way. That was when Twilight started to make her move, firing what looked to be some kind of energy beam at the machine. This, however, was a futile attempt as well, as I knew that Dixian War Machines possessed an innate resistance to energy-based attacks, which seemed to apply to magic based ones as well as Twilight repeatedly fired at the machine to no avail.

"Aether! What are you doing on the roof?" I heard Mrs. Cake scream from behind me. Glancing back at her, I saw both her and Mr. Cake leaning out my window. "Get back inside! It's not safe with that monster out there!"

Smiling sheepishly, I replied, "Sorry, Mrs. Cake, but I need to do something. I'll explain later." I started making my way off the roof, landing on the ground before Mrs. Cake could even climb out the window. I started dashing down the streets in the direction of the war machine, before I heard the sounds of even more wings flapping.

"Have at thee, thy evil beast!" Luna shouted as I saw her fly over me to engage the machine. Nearby, I saw a pair of pegasi guards unhitching a carriage before they flew after the princess. While watching an alicorn that could move the bucking moon in battle would be quite the sight, I still had to rush to the battleground to see if Luna's attacks would be strong enough to pierce the war machine's crystal plating. It only took moments before I finally reached the town edge, where I caught sight of the battle once more; seeing both Luna and Twilight blasting away at the creature to no effect. Though, I did see that Luna appeared to have a large collection of spells as I saw her hurling summoned swords at the machine, which sadly only managed to scratch the plating.

"Aether!" Pinkie screamed in shock when she caught sight of me. Her shriek also drew the attention of the other ponies, though Twilight and Luna quickly had to return their attention to attacking the war machine. Instantly Pinkie was at my side, grabbing in fear as she said, "I have to get you out of here!"

Before Pinkie could make a move, I pushed aside her face as I looked up at Luna as I said, "Princess Luna! You can't beat it that way!"

Backing away from the beast, Luna looked at me as she asked, "Pray tell, doth thou know what this beast is?"

"It's a… an alien war machine! Your attacks aren't doing anything more than scratching its plating!" I replied, causing Applejack and Rarity to look at me in shock as Pinkie gaped at me.

As Rainbow reengaged the machine, Luna landed near us as she asked, "If thou knoweth about that… machine, dost thou know its weakness?"

"See the tentacles it possesses? Its joints are a vulnerable spot when the armored portion of the tentacle isn't covering it. I believe that is where you can pierce it with one of your summoned swords, but try to use the sword to break off an arm to create a bigger opening."

Nodding, Luna took off into the air as Pinkie looked at me as she asked, "How... how do you know what that thing is?"

Sighing, I answered, "It is a long story, one that you may find hard to believe. Just... take out the war machine before it gets close enough to start destroying homes."

Turning my attention away from Pinkie, I saw Luna encircling the machine from below with a half dozen summoned swords floating
alongside her. It wasn't long before I saw that she spotted her chance as she sent a blade right into one of the machine’s joints. This time, the sword sank into the machine, causing the tentacle connected to the joint to spasm just before Luna sent two more swords into the creature while using the rest to fend off the tentacles that tried to grab her.

As Luna dodged and blocked the tentacles, I started to see the swords in the machine starting to bend. It wasn't long before I heard a crack as the swords broke off one of the tentacles, leaving a gaping hole in the machines armor. "Huzzah! The machine is wou—" Luna started to boast before the machine dropped its main body onto the ground, allowing all five of its tentacles to be free for use.

"Don't boast until the thing is down for good! You just let it get into a defensive stance!" I yelled, as I watched the war machine bury its lower portion to protect the breach in its armor.

"Fear not, for we will lift this machine so that Twilight can finish it off!" Luna declared as the machine is engulfed in her magic. I curious watched as Luna focused from a distance while Twilight and Rainbow remained ready for a chance to strike. After minutes passed, the magic surrounding the war machine disappeared as Luna stated, "How can this be? Our magic can't lift the machine!"

"Um... alien machine made of crystal. I don't think magic would work on it as one would expect," I dryly said.

My comments turned to me as Rainbow said, "Alien? How do you know this thing is an alien machine?" with a skeptical look.

Groaning, I replied, "Do I have to answer that now? How about we try to destroy the machine before it destroys us first?"

"Isn't there some way we could reason with the machine?" Fluttershy asked, as I turned my head to find her a small distance behind our little group. "It's not nice to hurt somepony... much les—"

"It's not a living thing, Fluttershy. It doesn't have feelings, or anything that would give it life. It's just a weapon that wants to destroy all sapient life that isn't its creators. So can we go back to focusing on the matter at hoof?" I said.

"Why? The alien machine isn't mo—whoa!" Rainbow said before dodging a tentacle. The war machine had started to drag itself across the ground, which, while slow, still allowed its underside to be protected by the ground.

"Augh, Princess Luna! Can you please just lift the ground it's on into the air, then break the ground apart so that Twilight can fire into the thing?" I asked as Pinkie Pie started to carry me away from the machine, much to my displeasure.

Pausing to give me a flat stare for daring to give her such a command, Luna lit up her horn again as she grabbed the ground around the machine with her magic. She then quickly yanked the ground into the air, lifting it about thirty feet before she broke the ground into pieces. Cleverly, she only broke away parts of it, meaning that it was still being held in the air but the hole in its armor was exposed. Even when the machine realized the situation, Luna used the ground as a blockade against the tentacles; preventing them from being able to cover the damaged breach.

With the hole finally exposed, Twilight flew in as close as she could before firing a beam of magic into the hole. While the machine's armor was able to resist magic, its insides couldn't as the machine's tentacles started to jerk around like it was having a seizure.

"Encase it in a shield and everyone get down!" I yelled as I grabbed Pinkie Pie's shoulders, giving her a jerk that forced the two of us to fall onto the ground. Luna released her grip on the ground, allowing the machine to fall to the ground as she created a shield over it as everypony jumped for cover.

We only had to wait a few seconds before the machine exploded, the force of the explosion warping Luna's shield, yet thankfully it held. After holding the shield up for a moment after the explosion, Luna finally released it, allowing the smoke from the explosion to clear to reveal the shattered pieces of the machine. Luna then stole a quick glance at me, to which I replied with a roll of my eyes and a nod. "Huzzah! We have vanquished the sinister... machine!" Luna announced as she raised a hoof into the air.

"That was a bit intense, but it was nothing for the fastest flyer in Equestria," Rainbow said as she leaned back while hovering in mid-air.

Snorting, I replied, "Then you should be thankful that it was just a low class war machine."

This caused Rainbow to gape at me in shock as she said, "What‽ There are things worse than that?"

"While I'm wonderin' about that thing too, what I'm more curious about is why Aether knew about it in the first place," Applejack said as the rest of the mares started to gather around me. "I reckon that you have some explainin' to do."

"While your aid did help us beat the 'machine,' Princess Luna, I was wondering why you were here so soon. Spike only just sent a letter to Canterlot moments ago," Twilight said as she looked at her fellow princess.

Rolling my eyes, I decided to just to give them a short explanation as I said, "I'll explain everything later, but basically, Luna is here to take me to Canterlot cause I'm an alien and this world may get invaded by hostile aliens like the ones that made that machine."

This caused all the mares to stare at me wide-eyed with the exception of Luna as they yelled in unison, "What!"

PreviousChapters Next