• Published 2nd Mar 2015
  • 490 Views, 27 Comments

Fairlight Book Two - Bluespectre



Fairlight returns to Equestria to find himself working for the agency, an organisation operating in the shadows of equestrian society.

Comments ( 5 )

6375836 Not with the worst of them, he does have some taste :raritywink:

I can see why the second installment did not get as many likes.

It starts off strong, but more often than not our vengeance driven protagonist acts like he is a afraid of hurting anyone.

Yes there are a couple scenes where you finally let him loose, but most of the time you have him back peddling.

The story literally starts out with him talking about how they will all pay, but you then have him almost commit suicide when be finds out about Blaze...

I can understand denial, confusion, and yes sadness...however anger should have been what he ultimately ended at.

The entire momentum of the story hinges on the protagonists need for vengeance...but it seems to be lost in this second book.

It is not a bad story, but I just did not feel any real driving force with the protagonist.

He is constantly lead around, worries about harming ponies, and just overall feels lost.

8356898
One of the things I tried to get across in this and subsequent books was the internal confusion and conflict Fairlight faces as he comes to terms with what has happened to him. As the series continues, Fairlight begins to integrate more and more with the spirit and gradually accepts what he is and his part in the legacy of the wendigo. An early theme is the two sides of him warring for dominance: his training in the watch to protect life, and his wendigo self that is a near polar opposite. In fairness, book two of Fairlight is probably my least favourite of the series and was influenced by some of the more negative comments I'd had from people regarding the first book. The following books, Fortress of the four winds and Blood of the foal are my personal faves as these focus on his journey to realising his true potential and unfolding destiny. I think they're a lot better written too!

The final book in the Fairlight series is in production now and changes pace again, with the focus on his family life in the first part, yet takes him into an intrigue based world where he will face some serious challenges before finally having the showdown with Velvet and the Commissioner. This latest story will be a lead in for the finale that ties in with the 'When the snow melts' story arc.

The last planned story will be based around the return of the Crystal Empire, and bring back characters such as Chalk Dust and the crew, Twilight, the princesses, and others as war looms with King Sombra and Vela.

I'm going to be re-writing the Fairlight series when this latest book is finished as I think that breaking them up into smaller books has lost something of the flow of the overall story. Book two should be looked at as a part of his journey, not the conclusion to it. That was my fault as a new writer!

Thank you so much for reading my stories. It's always good to receive feedback and if you have any suggestions or comments, they are always gratefully received! :twilightsheepish:

Kind Regards,

Bluespectre

Login or register to comment