• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,586 Views, 911 Comments

The Completely Normal Pet of Spike the Dragon - DauntedSuperior



Spike, in his spare time that seemed abundant in the past few months, has been keeping a secret from Twilight. That secret's name is Scruffy, the completly normal, mundane, and in no way special, little black kitty... If only that were true.

  • ...
22
 911
 10,586

Natural Adorableness

Everywhere I looked ponies were trotting this way and that, a good number of few entering restaurants, ‘Spike, is it lunch time yet?’

‘No, but we can grab something from Sugarcube Corner when we pass by.’ Spike said as we entered the open town center.

‘You bring some bits? I didn't see you grab anything on the way out.’ I asked as the gingerbread house in question came into view.

‘Yeah I always have a small bag on me. What do you...’ Spike trailed off as we walked came to a stop near the edge of the clearing. Confused, my line of sight followed his to an outdoor eating area. At one of the tables was Rarity with a stallion sitting across from her.

A small chill went down my spine as my eyes landed on the beige, yellow maned stallion, ‘Just keep walking Spike, We'll deal with him and his cohorts some day.’

Spike let out a small breath before snapping his head up, ‘Wait, what do you mean deal with him and who are his cohorts?’

‘I still haven't told you about that!?’ I mentally shouted, ‘Wow, I thought for sure I told you about this in the Everfree Castle.’

‘No! I'm pretty sure I would've remembered if you said something about the stallion Rarity is with.’ we started to move again towards Sugarcube Corner, ‘What else have you forgotten to tell me?’

‘Oh probably a lot. You really need to ask more questions or remind me to tell you stuff cause my memory sucks.’ I stated as we walked into Pinkie Pie’s place of work and got in line for the front counter.

‘I’ve already guessed that you're not a normal kitten. That much was obvious with how you talk about other adventures all the time and you've been with me since you could hardly walk.’ Spike stated as we moved forward once in line, ‘But for now you can start telling me about Sunny Rays.’

‘I’m gonna go off on a limb here and say that's the stallion with Rarity, right?’ I asked as we took another step forward.

‘Yeah, that's him. Just looking at him sends a chill right down the spikes on my back.’ Spike took another step forward in line.

‘That's good, that's your instincts telling you 'watch it evil dude over here'. So far, I've only met three ponies that gave me that feeling.’

Spike took a few steps forward as the last stallion finished, ‘Sleek is obviously one of them, but who's the third?’

‘Pink Pegasus with a red mane, goes by the name Red, was hanging out with Rainbow Dash. I know they're cohorts too because that Sunny Rays guy-’

“Excuse me dear, are you going to order something?” Mrs. Cake asked snapping Spike out of his thoughts.

“What? Oh! Sorry, was... thinking about, something.” Spike stated as he looked over the display case food.

“Well take your time.” a small ding came from the kitchen, “Oh, that’ll be the brownies. I’ll be right back Deary.” Mrs. Cake turned and walked into the kitchen.

‘What do you want?’ Spike asked as he started to sniff the air for the smell of fresh brownies.

I looked over the items in the display case before shaking my head, ‘I’ll wait till we get back to the tree castle for food. Sweets never really agreed with me, but ask if they got any milk.’

“Alright.” Spike said as Mrs. Cake walked back in.

“You know what you want?”

“Yes, I’ll have a few of those fresh brownies and can you get a small saucer of milk for Scruffy.” even as Spike asked I knew I wasn’t getting that drink by the look on Mrs. Cake’s face. On reflex I jumped up onto the counter before she could say no.

I went through the tried and true method with practiced ease. Lock eyes, tilt head, curl tail around paws, and gave a cute little ‘meow’. I could practically see her reluctance to serve me melt away.

“Daww, aren’t you just the cutest little thing.” she started to pet my head lightly with her hoof, “I’ll see what I can do. Just don’t tell Fluttershy.”

“My lips are sealed.” Spike said happily as Mrs. Cake walked back into the kitchen. Spike watched her leave till she was out of sight, ‘Okay, how did you do that?’

‘My natural adorableness, I'd almost consider it overpowered, but there's really no such thing.’ I stated happily before jumping onto Spike’s head.

‘So I can add that to the list of things you need to tell me about.’

I leaned over to look him in the eye, ‘Good thing you're making the list cause there's no way I'd remember all that stuff.’

‘After living with Twilight it's almost like a second nature to make lists now.’ Spike stated as Mrs. Cake walked back in with a large plate of brownies on her back and a small saucer balanced on her front hoof.

She placed the saucer down on the countertop before using her mouth to place the plate of brownies right beside it, “A bit for the milk and two bits per brownie.”

“Alright I’ll have two.” Spike start pulling bits out of a small brown bag...

‘Wait, where did you get that bag of bits?’

“Thank you.” Mrs. Cake said as Spike grabbed his food and my milk and walked towards one of the tables.

‘You going to answer my question?’

Spike sat down at the first table, ‘Oh, you mean this?’ he grabbed the bag of bits and placed it behind his back before returning his now empty claws to the table. A quick glance behind him showed there was no bag to be seen.

‘Yes, that.’

‘I have no idea.’ Spike stated before taking a bite out of one of his brownies.

‘... Seriously?’ I asked jumping down onto the table to drink.

‘Seriously.’ he took another bite of his treat, ‘Back when me and Twilight were living in Canterlot she was testing a spell for making a bag bigger on the inside than it looked on the outside and I sort of scared her on accident. The spell misfired and ricocheted off half the room before it hit me in the back.’

‘And you've been able to pull stuff out of no where ever since?’ I asked as two more ponies walked in.

‘Yep.’ Spike stated simply while taking a bite out of his second brownie, ‘Though I got to put the things into the space first. Twilight spent three days straight just asking me to try and put different things in and take them out. I'll tell you all the boring specifics later, it's your turn to talk about Ray.’

‘Alright, sounds fair.’ I wiped my muzzle with my paw, ‘So you already know about Ray and Sleek, but Red is definitely the most worrying of the trio.’

Spike held up his right claws to stop me, ‘You don't mind explaining this twice do you?’

‘Who else would I explain this to?...’ three little fillies came to mind, ‘What did you promise them?’

‘They made me promise a full explanation...’ Spike gulped down the rest of his food loudly.

‘I’m sensing an 'and' somewhere in there.’

‘And that we would help them get their cutie marks and let them help us on adventures.’ Spike scratched the back of his head.

For a few seconds I just stared at Spike, ‘I’m just saying it now, you're the designated foal sitter if we can't find a way to leave them behind on our next adventure.’

“Ah.” Spike let out a sigh, ‘Alright, I guess that's fair.’

I leaned down and took another drink of my milk before jumping up on Spike’s head, ‘Now let's go get this long meeting over with and try to survive whatever they got planned.’

Author's Note:

Wow, I remember when I was able to churn these out once a day and only spend a few hours on each chapter. I'm writing slower than ever for some reason, but let's see if I can do thee dailies like I used too.

Be sure to comment! :pinkiehappy: