• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,579 Views, 911 Comments

The Completely Normal Pet of Spike the Dragon - DauntedSuperior



Spike, in his spare time that seemed abundant in the past few months, has been keeping a secret from Twilight. That secret's name is Scruffy, the completly normal, mundane, and in no way special, little black kitty... If only that were true.

  • ...
22
 911
 10,579

Over Reacting!?... Maybe

Sleep, it truly is one of the best things ever, of all time. So many of my past lives couldn’t ever get a wink of sleep for some reason or another. Once again, absolute crap memory.

As I began to wake up though, I noticed the distinct lack of the warm dragon I usually woke up next to. That could only mean it was still early and Spike hadn’t gone to bed yet, but the room was dark meaning it was night outside. It was weird how the time of day affected the lighting in the whole castle.

Before I could think of what to do the door to the room opened and I immediately panicked. The thoughts of yesterday were still at the back of my mind. The edge of the bed was too far away, so I jumped back and slid under the covers as I heard the door shut.

“Scruffy, I’m back.” Spike’s voice calmed me as I poked my head out from under the covers and looked at him. He saw me on the bed and stopped, “Daww.”

‘I’m getting better at making them do that.’ I thought to myself as I slowly moved out of the covers and towards the bedside.

While I descended from the bed to eat some of the food in my bowl, I noticed Spike was holding something behind his back, “Since you were good today and let the crusaders pet you-” ‘I did what?’ “-I went to Barnyard Bargains and got you a little something.”

At that moment, I couldn’t care what he got me. I had only gotten a few bites of my food earlier today and I was hungry. Just after a bite out of the small bowl of cat food, my entire world came to a stop.

*squeak-squeak*

Immediately my eyes were glued to the toy in Spikes hand and my tail slowly moved from side to side behind me. Not in any of my memories had I ever wanted to attack something so much, but the small mouse toy in Spike’s claws had my complete and undivided attention.

The food was completely forgotten about, as Spike moved the toy side to side. My head moved to keep track of it as Spike watched with a smile on his face, “I knew you’d like it. It only cost me three bits too.”

*squeak-squeak*

All thoughts of how much of a rip off that was were forced out of my head as he squeaked the toy again. This was almost as bad as the time he gave me a piece of string to play with. It was embarrassing when he came back later to find me tangled up in it, but on the plus side, I won that war in the end.

Spike began to walk towards the bed and I quickly ran in front of him and jumped up on the bed as he turned to sit down. The dragon looked back at where I had been, “Scruffy?” he looked from side to side, not seeing me as I stalked around his back to the claw that held my prey.

*squeak squeak*

‘It's mocking me.’ the stray thought almost made me throw caution to the wind, but I decided to go a different way. Spike, who was looking around the room for me, didn’t notice as I sat down right beside him. I put my paw on his leg and he looked down at me.

I looked up to the dragon with big eyes and gave the cutest, littlest meow I could. Thanks to my kitten nature, it was beyond weapon’s grade cuteness, something I hadn’t known was possible until this life.

Spike looked at me and a smile appeared on his face, “Daww... alright, here you go.” the toy was tossed into the middle of the room. I was on it the next second.

The minutes that followed were filled with the squeaking of the toy, my cries for victory, and violence. Lots and lots of violence. After around ten minutes though, I admitted defeat. The toy had too much stamina and I, after just waking up too, was tired.

I walked over to the bed to see Spike just staring at the ceiling, ‘Crap.’ I jumped up onto the bed and then onto his stomach. Looking down at me, Spike watched as I curled into a ball and started to purr. He took it as a sign to start petting me and I didn’t complain.

Now if only he could not vent while he did this it would be perfect, “Today sucked.” seemed that wasn’t going to happen though, “Twilight had literally nothing for me to do. The new staff that Celestia sent is too good. Almost everything that I used to do is being done by a professional now. I’m not complaining about the free time, but I liked working, keeping busy. It just feels like I don’t got a place here anymore, you know?” I purred a bit more as he scratched behind my ears.

“Then there’s that personal assistant that came with the rest, Sleek.” my fur bristled at the name, “Oh I hate her.” ‘Me too, she sets off all kinds of different alarms in my head.’ “Anytime it seems I can spend with Twilight, she comes in and talks about some thing that’s come up that needs Twilight’s attention. I just wanna help...”

Being curled up I wasn’t able to see his face, but I felt his fist hit the bed, “No.” he picked me up and moved me aside, “I’m not going to just mope about this. I’m going to go talk to Twilight. Knowing her she just hasn’t noticed she’s ignoring me.” he moved towards the door, “I’ll be back in a little bit Scruffy.”

I gave a small meow as if to say goodbye as the drake went out the door. That's when a cold realization hit as I saw the door didn’t fully shut. Gears began turning in my head as I heard the little dragon’s feet move down the hall.

Small fragments of memories when I was on quests in other lives began to come to mind. From the broken fragments I remembered it’s never a good thing to confront something on your own. Especially in the middle of the night when a shady character like Sleek was nearby.

Before I knew it I was peaking out the door and watching Spike turn the corner at the end of the hallway, ‘Should've known I couldn't have a peaceful life... or maybe I'm just over reacting?’

My paws were silent on the small strip of carpet in the middle of the hallway as I bounded after Spike. Battle plans began to form in my head. Aiming for the neck would only be used if he was in serious trouble. I couldn’t jump on any attackers or else he won’t be able to use his fire on them.

That left me being the distraction or just swiping at their legs... this sucked.

I turned the corner Spike had went passed and saw him opening the door at the end of the corridor, ‘You gotta be freaking kidding me.’ like a kitty rocket I took off towards the door.

Spike thankfully didn’t notice when I jumped through the open door just before he shut it. Even though I lost a few hairs on my tail, I stayed quiet and followed the dragon much more closely.

We passed through a room that had seven chairs all in a circle, but I didn’t get time to admire them as we passed through. Two life-like pony statues stood on the other side of the next set of doors we went through.

I stopped to look at them for a second as Spike continued on. They were painted really well too, if it wasn’t for the fact I couldn’t see them breathing I would have thought they were real. They were both grey and had on dark purple armor making them-

The one I was looking at looked at me. I was too scared to move as the stallion smiled and patted me on the head with his hoof. He then went back to looking straight ahead and looking like a statue. I looked back to see Spike had gotten a good distance away from me and almost to the end of the hallway, so I left the apparent guard alone.

As I thought of how they were able to breath without showing it I heard a very bad sound. The sound of a door shutting. With a quick glance ahead, I saw no Spike, but a shut door instead. I hadn't noticed he was that close to the door.

My curiosity might of just killed Spike if he was ambushed by some enemy like I thought that he would be. The irony of the old saying was not lost on me, but as I stared at the door I didn't care.

“Need help little kitty?” a voice behind me asked. Turning I saw the same guard from before open the door for me and smile, “There you go.”

I looked up at the nice stallion and didn’t even care that they had a mare’s voice. After a small meow of thanks I took off through the door with the sound of his/her ‘daww’ behind me. My mind was focused on saving a baby dragon and I was the only kitten for the job.

‘...I wonder if they make sunglasses in my size?’

Author's Note:

Leave a comment please. :pinkiehappy: